Note 4 keeps freezing and restarting

Search This thread

censa

Aug 28, 2015
So, few days have passed, and as said, i've got some updates for the ones who are "interested" in my problem.
Without any working phone i was "forced" to use an old iphone4 of one of my friend (i say forced because 2 days ago, i was at school with my note4 who, as "usual" has turned off completely...during my way back home, i got into a car accident, with an idiot who ran a STOP SIGN without looking or slowing down, at the moment of the accident my phone wasn't working, and if it wasn't for the other guy involved, it would have been a worse situation, because my school is far away from my house, and it's not safe to drive a high-damaged car)....after few days with Apple, i decided to "restore" the phone i had used before moving to Note4...so i took out my old galaxy s3, with cracked glass (at the time i've put some tape on the corner, to prevent glass splinter to damage me/my phone). I've already ordered on aliexpress the replacement glass haha. While using my S3, i've tried to work on the note4 too. So, i've tried to restore the stock firmware, but nothing has changed..i've kept charging it event if it was at 100%, and it worked a little, since when taken by "hope", i've switched sim, to try to use my note4 again, but the problem started again (this time the situation is VERY BAD, the phone just shut down after the first interface, it doesn't reboot for some times like it used to do few days ago). So, even if some of you disagreed with that, i've bought a new mobo for the note4, just to try "everything" (i've paid it 50 bucks, not too much, it's worth to give it a try),if even with a new mobo the problem persist, then im going to proceed with my assurance (the "expert" exit if the bill is over 1000€, and im going to stay under that "amount"). That's it. Im gonna post other updates in the next days.

Reactions: testtube01

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
I saw my old motherboard today and found something is leakage in motherboard near the battery points. (in red circle) can anyone explain what is that ? Can i repair this if i change this IC or whatever it is called ?
Note :- My phone was running on Cpu wakeup application. One day my phone charging and later after 2-3 Hrs when i return to my it phone, i found it very very hot like fire and since then it did not start, even after freezer trick. so i changed motherboard and sell it. and now i am left with my old mother board.

Attachments

• 20171017_090808.jpg
    20171017_090808.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

censa

Aug 28, 2015
ok, so after mouting my new mobo, the phone started working without a single problem (it was like he was brand new haha), but unfortunately the mobo was still running on Android 5.11 , and after trying to update by OTA, the phone displayed me a message : "impossible to install update". So, i decided to do that by myself, and with Odin, i put the lastest Marshmallow update avaible for note4 on my smarthphone and, suddendly, the problem i was having with the old mobo recurred on the new one. What if it's not an hardware problem but a software one? @shaggyskunk

Reactions: q_werty

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
ok, so after mouting my new mobo, the phone started working without a single problem (it was like he was brand new haha), but unfortunately the mobo was still running on Android 5.11 , and after trying to update by OTA, the phone displayed me a message : "impossible to install update". So, i decided to do that by myself, and with Odin, i put the lastest Marshmallow update avaible for note4 on my smarthphone and, suddendly, the problem i was having with the old mobo recurred on the new one. What if it's not an hardware problem but a software one? @shaggyskunk
Consider the shear numbers of Note 4 devices sold - I'm quite certain that it's definitely a hardware issue - It is possible however that a Firmware update might reveal the underlying issue with the hardware. It's been mentioned a few times that Samsung uses different suppliers for their manufacturing process - My belief is that the inferior hardware supplied by certain companies is ultimately the problem.. Sorry to hear about your situation. At this point I'd call Samsung (if you haven't already) or think about cutting your losses and just replace the device.. ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

pcp20us

Aug 7, 2013
Realme 7
Samsung= Crap...... look at there exploding batteries. Id say it definately hardware built on the cheap, sold at premium prices as a device.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Samsung= Crap...... look at there exploding batteries. Id say it definately hardware built on the cheap, sold at premium prices as a device.
You're entitled to your opinion - But I strongly disagree with you!
Some of the Note 4 devices are vulnerable to the issue which this Thread is about - The Note 7 was a huge mistake - But I challenge you to name one manufacturer that hasn't had any significant problems! Especially when you consider the shear volume of devices produced!
But thanks for dropping by with your unnecessary & completely off topic comment!
Why are you even posting here considering your opinion of Samsung? ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

Last edited:

logosA

Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2013
Heraklion Crete
Have you guys tried with a new battery ? Just a thought ...

I have. I have bought a new original Samsung battery. No difference, the phone is showing the exact same problems.
If restarted, dont boot up, unless put it in the freezer before.
Even this way, my phone needs a ext sdcard with a debrick image in it, which helps it boot up, otherwise nothing.
The last week my problems got even bigger, while on charger (original fast charger) phone started to smell like burning plastic.
Took it of charger and noticed some smoke coming out og the port. Cable got black and melted, phone stoped to charge in every charger.
After some tries with deferent cables and chargers, find out that could only be charged through pc, with a certain cable in a certain usb port and nowhere else. That condition lasted 1 week or so and again, smoke, melted cable, now phone cannot be charged anywhere.
Got tired trying and put it on a drawer. After 10 days, ordered new charging panel and also ordered a replacement motherboard.
Although in the meanwhile I bought a new phone , I cannot give up on my Note 4, so i hope I will be able to resurrect it.
I am so jealous seen people flashing everyday a new rom and waiting for Oreo to come soon now :(
So I guess I am a flash -holic , I decided to keep my Note 2 and fix my Νote 4 and use them to flash custom roms
I bought a ZTE BLADE with 3Gb /32Gb dual sim to keep it for my life and work and the other 2 for my love- custom roms :)
Please dont say I am foοl , I know I am.....

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
I have. I have bought a new original Samsung battery. No difference, the phone is showing the exact same problems.
Even this way, my phone needs a ext sdcard with a debrick image in it, which helps it boot up, otherwise nothing.
The last week my problems got even bigger, while on charger (original fast charger) phone started to smell like burning plastic.
Took it of charger and noticed some smoke coming out og the port. Cable got black and melted, phone stoped to charge in every charger.
After some tries with deferent cables and chargers, find out that could only be charged through pc, with a certain cable in a certain usb port and nowhere else. That condition lasted 1 week or so and again, smoke, melted cable, now phone cannot be charged anywhere.
Got tired trying and put it on a drawer. After 10 days, ordered new charging panel and also ordered a replacement motherboard.
Although in the meanwhile I bought a new phone , I cannot give up on my Note 4, so i hope I will be able to resurrect it.
I am so jealous seen people flashing everyday a new rom and waiting for Oreo to come soon now :(
So I guess I am a flash -holic , I decided to keep my Note 2 and fix my Νote 4 and use them to flash custom roms
I bought a ZTE BLADE with 3Gb /32Gb dual sim to keep it for my life and work and the other 2 for my love- custom roms :)
Yeah you're a fool - But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! ?
The main thing is that you are doing what you want and hopefully having fun ?
Don't let anyone tell you different! ??

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

Reactions: logosA

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore

My story is exactly same like you , but in the last after changing the motherboard i sold my note 4 because it was getting hot with a new motherboard also.

Reactions: logosA

echomanX

Dec 21, 2017
I think I found a solution to this issue since my phone has been experiencing the same thing. I would credit the OP that posted this solution as soon as I find where I got the information from. But anyhow, much like your phone my Note 4 N910T started to lockup/freeze/reboot. This lockup and freezing would occur mostly when I power my screen on and proceed to unlock it.

Step 1. Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
Step 2. Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
Step 3. Enable Auto-Start

This has fixed my issue with the random freezes, but my battery drains slightly faster.

My note 4 is over 2 years old (has been rooted since I bought it with no problems ever) and worked flawlessly until my last update (Aug 2017), it then started running slower, freezing and restarting. I thought and still think Samsung inserted code into its latest updates to cause these problems in order to coerce happy users of its older phones into taking out a loan (@25%) to purchase their €1,000 note 8's............So I changed the battery and noticed the freezing and restarting getting worse, the new bat would only charge to 86%, sometimes I would have to swap it out with another in order to get it to boot.

After reading your thread and immediately installing Wake Lock, and after following your steps the issue is now gone, the battery now charges to 100%, and the phone is working as well as it did formerly. A small price to pay for satisfaction is the slightly higher battery drain. Many Thanks for your post.

While thrashing around the web looking for help I also found this procedure on another XDA note 4 thread that may be helpful to others with new batteries that won't charge to 100% (Wake Lock is also recommended) :

1,open dialer and dial *#0228#
2,after dialing *#0228# the battery status menu will popup.
3,hit ( quick start ) at bottom of the screen in red color
4,hit ( yes ) and go to settings/battery and disable fast charging for 1 charge only.
5,power off the phone and charge to 100%.
6,turn on the phone and if it shows 97,98,99 plug in charger again and charge to 100%.
7,once it charge to 100% unplug charger and this will create new battery calibration status automatically.now you can enable fast charge again.
8, Next go to play store and download wakelock power app and install it. Open the app and hit (PARTIAL WAKE LOCK) as in screenshot below.
This app will help prevent the device from random rebooting and freezing ths app does not require root access.:good.

My battery started not charging fully, only charging to 77%, so I rebooted it and it went dead, nada, stone dead. To fix this issue I found this fix:

Take out battery, sim card, and mem card. Install back cover. Place phone in ziplock sandwich bag and seal. Place bag into freezer for 20 minutes. Remove bag/phone from freezer, reassemble battery, sim and mem cards. Press the start key and phone should boot(mine did). If not, plug into Samsung fast charger and try booting again.
This works.

Last edited:
Reactions: XORr0 and nicholes

nollarolla78

Jan 1, 2018
same problem

Hi guys, hope someone can help.
I've had my note 4 just over a year now and not had any problems at all. I've always had notes 1 2 and 3 and now 4.
Never bothered rooting the note 4.
So..... out the blue my phone starts restarting and freezing regular. I'm talking 15-20 times per day.
Got no idea why but got so frustrated that I restored phone back to factory settings and it's still doing it.
Anyone know why this might be.
I'm 90% sure it's not memory as I have a 64gig memory card in it. And don't actually have many apps downloaded.
I've cleared all cache as well via apps and also via the volume up power and home key method.
Please tell me someone knows what the problem is here as I did searches on Internet and many are having the same problem.

keeps freezing up , reboots , takes for ever to load sometimes , have to remove battery and wait a minute before reinstalling to get it to come on reformatted to factory several times and nothing changes i need help also

dpalamuri

Jan 8, 2018
Galaxy Note 4 freezing issue fixed for me by updating to new ROM

Good News (Surely for me. Hope it's good news for other Note 4 users as well)
I'm posting this to many forums as this might help at least few and hopefully many note 4 users.

Sammobile now have latest ROM released for Galaxy Note 4 dated 2018-Jan-04th.
This ROM has fixed all my Note 4 freezing issues including random restart and booting to download mode.

Issues i had before this ROM:
My device freezes for every 5 to 10 seconds and won't respond for at least 5 to 10 minutes. and this repeats forever
Sometimes while restarting ( while normal restart or force restart by removing battery), It enters into download mode.

"wake lock" app from google store fixed the first issue for me. Device is fine except it consumes extra battery.

This is what i have done while flashing new ROM:
Removed external SD card ( took all backup to SD while keeping the "wake lock" app running in background)
Wipe all cache from "Recovery mode"
Flash the downloaded new ROM from sammobile using "Odin (3.12.7)"
-- This is important, Updating to this ROM through manual update option in "Device update" didn't fix this issue completely although freqency of freezing issues came down.
-- Open Odin using "Admin previleges"
-- When flasing through Odin failed because of some error, I have just removed the battery and went back to download mode immediately and "Start"ed the process in Odin again. It worked this time.

Although i have seen slight gliching right after this update ( such as screen freezes for 2 to 3 seconds randomly), Once i have let all the apps updated from google play store and restarted the device few times ( two times precisely), Now it's working perfectly fine. Just like old times.

Note:
My Device model: SM-N910G ( India - INS ) -- I think recent ROM is available for most of the other models as well.

Thanks,
Durga

Last edited:

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
Good News (Surely for me. Hope it's good news for other Note 4 users as well)
I'm posting this to many forums as this might help at least few and hopefully many note 4 users.

Sammobile now have latest ROM released for Galaxy Note 4 dated 2018-Jan-04th.
This ROM has fixed all my Note 4 freezing issues including random restart and booting to download mode.

Issues i had before this ROM:
My device freezes for every 5 to 10 seconds and won't respond for at least 5 to 10 minutes. and this repeats forever
Sometimes while restarting ( while normal restart or force restart by removing battery), It enters into download mode.

"wake lock" app from google store fixed the first issue for me. Device is fine except it consumes extra battery.

This is what i have done while flashing new ROM:
Removed external SD card ( took all backup to SD while keeping the "wake lock" app running in background)
Wipe all cache from "Recovery mode"
Flash the downloaded new ROM from sammobile using "Odin (3.12.7)"
-- This is important, Updating to this ROM through manual update option in "Device update" didn't fix this issue completely although freqency of freezing issues came down.
-- Open Odin using "Admin previleges"
-- When flasing through Odin failed because of some error, I have just removed the battery and went back to download mode immediately and "Start"ed the process in Odin again. It worked this time.

Although i have seen slight gliching right after this update ( such as screen freezes for 2 to 3 seconds randomly), Once i have let all the apps updated from google play store and restarted the device few times ( two times precisely), Now it's working perfectly fine. Just like old times.

Note:
My Device model: SM-N910G ( India - INS ) -- I think recent ROM is available for most of the other models as well.

Thanks,
Durga

Please confirm this fix work or not ...... I am watching :cyclops:

dpalamuri

Jan 8, 2018
Nicholes,

Update:
After 24 hours of using this ROM, looks like the device is slowly starting to give the freezing issues again.

It is still better than before but the way I see it, it may act like before eventually in a day or two :(

Reactions: nicholes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I found a solution to this issue since my phone has been experiencing the same thing. I would credit the OP that posted this solution as soon as I find where I got the information from. But anyhow, much like your phone my Note 4 N910T started to lockup/freeze/reboot. This lockup and freezing would occur mostly when I power my screen on and proceed to unlock it.

Step 1. Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
    Step 2. Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
    Step 3. Enable Auto-Start

This has fixed my issue with the random freezes, but my battery drains slightly faster.
    After doing some research on older threads. I noticed few mentioning a fix when their removing their sim card so I gave this a try with little hope and amazingly it's worked. I've opened up around 10 different apps and really straining the phone. Not 1 force close, freeze or reboot.
    So what on earth is going on here.
    What is my EE chip doing to cause these freezes and restarts.
    Solutions that worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8)

Edit:
    Sorry folks, solution #3 actually does not work - just got my first restart and some freezing issues. Will report back as I try other solutions. But solution #1 and #2 are still valid options.

Hi everyone,

Best thread ever. Seriously. I've read the entire thread and these were the solutions that I tried and worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8):

Solution #1: Install Wake Lock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl
    - Enable "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK" (5th option) and your freezing / rebooting issues should magically disappear
    - Problem with this solution is that there is a battery drain issue and it's a band-aid fix (i.e., you have to keep an app you probably don't want to have installed) to what appears to be a software issue

Solution #2: Go to Settings > Application Manager > Options (3 vertical dots at top right) > Show System Apps. Look for and click on "TouchWiz Home" > Click "Permissions" > enable "Contact" and "Storage"
    - You don't need to have Wake Lock (Solution #1) enabled and your phone will stop freezing / restarting
    - Problem with this solution is the camera appears to still freeze a little (especially when viewing gallery from camera app) but it will still work

Solution #3: So far the best solution that I've tried and it not only has made my phone snappier (less laggy), but also doesn't require Wake Lock to be installed. It has eliminated my freezing and rebooting issues --> Install Dummy File Generator (thank you debernardis for the solution!) Best of all, it appears this app will remove freezing / rebooting issues on other Samsung phones! Seriously this solution has given me back my sanity and 5 stars to the guys that developed the Dummy File Generator app.

See quote below for details:

People with these problems, try this:

Install Dummy File Generator from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.nomunomu.dummy

Run, push "generate (full)". This will fill your internal sdcard with big file(s). Most likely, it will stop and crash in the work.

Restart it (if it crashes at start, swipe it out from recent apps and try again), do that again until completely filled.

Now push "delete all of dummy files".

Repeat the fill/delete process until it completes without errors, and then 3-4 times more.

Now see if your device works better, and report. Mine did :laugh:
    In kernal Aditutor , go to CPU hotplug and change min cpu online to 2 .and max cpu screen off to 2. Scroll down and do the same under msm HOTPLUG,

its helping for now, and i have stopped using wake lock. Dont know how long it will work, but u can try :good::good:

sorry guys, The issue came back after some time, i think its something with emmc chip, :(:(:(

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Onec I tried to Home+ volume up +Power key in my note4. in few days I going to switch off and it's not open simple pressing power key so I slep on it and then try and it's switch on again.but one day it'ssuddenly switch off. Bro My Samsung Galaxy Note 4{910F} is suddenly switch off and now I can't switch on ,.when I connect charger it's shows nothing in screen what can I do plz help me.

take out the battery and hold power to release all the static from the logic board,, Try to switch it on again,

If not working, Hold power down+ home and power,.by doing that , you should be able to go to download mode. If you can , connect your ph to smasung kies or smart switch to reinstall the firmware.

If not, then take the battery out again hold the button for 30 secs . Put the battery in and connect your paper weight (dead note 4 :)) to pc. At this time the device still won't turn on. Windows will recongnize the device as "Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008"; if Windows recognizes the device you can disconnect it and follow my steps

1) Download the Mega.nz link as ZIP and exctract the content from: https://mega.nz/#F!QIMmFRIT!Ns3AM-n0FUoMqOOWUif9ng

please use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkVnYSCcYc procedure to avoid the download limit because the size is around 7 GB.

2) Go to the folder "Odin3", herafter called the root folder

3) Install "Win32DiskImager-0.9.5.exe"

4) Extract "QualcommDrv.zip" and install "dpinst64.exe" or "dpinst32.exe" from the folders "Allx64" or "Allx86" respectivly according to your Windows architecture (32 bit or 64 bit)

6) Open the folder "Note 4"

7) Open the PDF "(14-96) Boot Recovery Guide_Qualcomm_APQ8084 (includes SM-N910F) Rev 3_0.pdf" where you also can follow the steps

8) In the folder you will also find the pictures (1-8) to follow the steps
    http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png
    http://i.imgur.com/eQqZgX6.png
    http://i.imgur.com/cs0IRvq.png
    http://i.imgur.com/pozzf59.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ufEdrs2.png
    http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png
    http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

9) If you have a working N910F (or another working Samsung device) that you want to use to unbrick your bricked N910F, go to step 10. If you only have your bricked N910F go to step 19

10) Open the folder "309" and run "Odin3 v3.09.exe"

11) Insert the SD-Card in the working device and power it on if you haven't. Go to settings and format he SD-Card.

12) Power the working device off and put it into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

13) Connect the working device to the computer

14) Make sure in Odin the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 1]. Also make sure that the device shows up in Odin (ID:COM should be a blue bar)
    [PICTURE 1]: http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png

15) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "APQ8084_boot_recovery_v2.pit"

16) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5". If you get an error choose the file "BL.tar.md5" from the folder "N910FXXU1DPI1"

17) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

18) If you come from step 17, go to step 25

19) Insert the SD-Card in the computer and format it

20) Run "Win32DiskImager.exe" that we installed earlier

21) Click the blue folder icon and navingate to the root folder. Open the file " SD4GB.WinDI.IMG ".

22) Next to the blue folder click the option box under the text "Device" and make sure you select the driver letter of the SD-Card

23) Click "Write" and wait untill the image has been written to the SD-Card

24) Install "epm.exe" from the root folder and run it. Click "Start the Program" and make sure the SD-Card is partitioned as shown: [PICTURE 8]
    [PICTURE 8]: http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

25) Put the SD-Card in the bricked N910F and connect it with the computer

26) Put the bricked N910F into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

27) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 7].
    [PICTURE 7]: http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png

28) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

29) Click "AP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "AP_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

30) Click "CP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CP_N910FXXU1DPH1_REV00_CL_2068963.tar.md5".

31) Click "CSC"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CSC_VFR_N910FVFR1DPF1_CL8447885_QB10051693_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

32) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

33) If the device can't boot up normal or Odin didn't "PASS!" and there's a message like this: "ODIN flash read failure / mmc read fail" put the device into download mode again.

34) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 6].
    [PICTURE 6]: http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png

35) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "TRLTE_EUR_OPEN.pit"

36) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

Edit:
    37) If Odin didn't "PASS!" but rather "FAIL!", redo steps 27-32 until you unbridled your N910F.

Don't forget to report back on xda as well, so that other users will know about the ongoing.

If this method helped, don't forget to click thanks :)
    N910G (stock, unrooted) here, exactly the same thing.

So I factory reset it, now and its still doing it. with or without the sim or microSD

I also notice that provided i keep the screen active it operated fine, the moment i let it sleep i started getting issues.

the device is pretty much a semi brick now :(