Note 4 keeps freezing and restarting

Search This thread

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Hi guys, hope someone can help.
I've had my note 4 just over a year now and not had any problems at all. I've always had notes 1 2 and 3 and now 4.
Never bothered rooting the note 4.
So..... out the blue my phone starts restarting and freezing regular. I'm talking 15-20 times per day.
Got no idea why but got so frustrated that I restored phone back to factory settings and it's still doing it.
Anyone know why this might be.
I'm 90% sure it's not memory as I have a 64gig memory card in it. And don't actually have many apps downloaded.
I've cleared all cache as well via apps and also via the volume up power and home key method.
Please tell me someone knows what the problem is here as I did searches on Internet and many are having the samended problem.

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
After doing some research on older threads. I noticed few mentioning a fix when their removing their sim card so I gave this a try with little hope and amazingly it's worked. I've opened up around 10 different apps and really straining the phone. Not 1 force close, freeze or reboot.
So what on earth is going on here.
What is my EE chip doing to cause these freezes and restarts.

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Not sure where I get this info. My phone is not rooted.
But under model it says....... SM-N910F

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Now for the really weird part.
As stated, when I remove the sim card the phone works perfectly. No lag or freezing or restarts.
So I don't some more investigating and added the sim back and removed the SD and still no lag freeze or restarts.
What on earth could be causing this issue. Whenever I have I have my sim and SD in together the phone goes wild and won't stay on without freezing or restarting.

D

Deleted member 1198227

Now for the really weird part.
As stated, when I remove the sim card the phone works perfectly. No lag or freezing or restarts.
So I don't some more investigating and added the sim back and removed the SD and still no lag freeze or restarts.
What on earth could be causing this issue. Whenever I have I have my sim and SD in together the phone goes wild and won't stay on without freezing or restarting.
Try deleting everything from microsd, and reformat it in other format, eg fat32

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
It's getting more and more strange. If I have both SD and sim card in the phone then it constantly freezes and then restarts but If I remove 1 of the 2 then the phone is fine. No problems with just sim or just SD. So I'm under the impression now that the sim and SD between each other are causing problems.

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
N910G (stock, unrooted) here, exactly the same thing.

So I factory reset it, now and its still doing it. with or without the sim or microSD

I also notice that provided i keep the screen active it operated fine, the moment i let it sleep i started getting issues.

the device is pretty much a semi brick now :(

iamfoesho

Jul 15, 2007
I think I found a solution to this issue since my phone has been experiencing the same thing. I would credit the OP that posted this solution as soon as I find where I got the information from. But anyhow, much like your phone my Note 4 N910T started to lockup/freeze/reboot. This lockup and freezing would occur mostly when I power my screen on and proceed to unlock it.

Step 1. Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
Step 2. Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
Step 3. Enable Auto-Start

This has fixed my issue with the random freezes, but my battery drains slightly faster.

Dijkertje

Sep 27, 2014
Naaldwijk
I have been having issues lately, too! Also a N910F model.
A couple months ago the device was acting weird and being real slow with loading photo's and stuff that was stored on the MicroSD. So I removed the MicroSD and the problem seemed to be gone.
After a couple weeks the device began acting like the Topic Starter is describing. Note, I was running custom roms and thus was rooted. So I thought I messed something up. So I backed everything up, wiped the Note 4 completely with TWRP, then I went to install the latest odin *.tar.md5 file and the device seemed to be acting normal again.
Then after a couple days it would act up again!!! So I decided to keep the Note 4 off for a while and use my Galaxy S5 instead I still have laying around. This means I switched the SIM card from Note 4 to S5.

But then I missed the bigger display and the S-pen. So I tried again.... doing a full wipe via the stock recovery and install, again, the latest odin tar file. That is running fine for like 3 days now so I hope it will stay finally okay now.
If it starts acting up again I might temporarily use the Galaxy S5 again or start thinking about buying a S7 Edge or wait for the Note 6 to pop up..

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
UPDATE:
due to my 13month old note 4 constantly freezing and restarting. I decided to root the phone and also add a 32gig memory card to try and free up some space. Also bought a new genuine Samsung battery after believing my battery was causing issues.
Well I was wrong.
Battery has been changed, moved lots of apps across to SD and also cleaned up loads of junk yet the freezing and restarts continue to happen.
I have no idea what it causing these freezes and restarts but I'm starting to lose patience with this phone.
Here are some pics....
Screenshot_2016-04-06-09-51-37_zpspx7vqwcg.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-09-50-52_zpscmqb5oz0.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-09-51-14_zpszb6ii0dd.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-09-51-04_zpsrfepyypa.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyone have any ideas???

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
took my phone to a shop and the guy told me it's defo the mother board, he said many note 4 owners have this problem after a year or so, but also told me that samsung give out a 2 year warranty, but the problem is, i'm now rooted, so not sure what to do now.
phone is restarting and freezing every 10mins and i'm on the verge of smashing the thing off a brick wall.
if anyone thinks they can help, please get back to me asap.

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
Well I got sick of it and traded it in for a Nexus 6p (with full disclosure of the problems).

While I miss one hand mode and the stylus and the removable battery, God damn but the Nexus 6p craps all over the note 4 for performance! This thing is super snappy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

Y

yesteryearisoverhere

took my phone to a shop and the guy told me it's defo the mother board, he said many note 4 owners have this problem after a year or so, but also told me that samsung give out a 2 year warranty, but the problem is, i'm now rooted, so not sure what to do now.
phone is restarting and freezing every 10mins and i'm on the verge of smashing the thing off a brick wall.

There's not much else you can do I reckon. Either let the guy repair it or repair it yourself.

That sucks though, I hope it doesn't happen to me. :eek:

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
problem is, he told me he cant fix it, as a new motherboard will cost me almost the same amount as a new note 4. not worth doing.
he basically told me to unroot my phone and put original rom back on and just take it to Samsung and prey they don't check it.
not sure what Samsung procedure is but i got a feeling its not going to end well.

oggythedoggy

Aug 1, 2012
Hi I have the same problems with my SM-N910F, is that info about 2 year warranty from Samsung is true? Because if is true I can try to replace my phone.Is nightmare I was trying everything factory reset, but nothing help.Still doing thant swich off, freezing.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

MaPetti

Jun 15, 2016
Mine is a N910C model (Exynos) and is totaly innoperate. After turn it on it shows the first logo screen and freezes. Sometimes it keeps looping on this screen and not go ahead. I've tryed new firmware, resets, wipes and nothing. Is there someone that knows what I shoud do besides throw it away?

meli04

Jun 16, 2016
Having them same problem with my note 4 I've had it for a year and 3 months now. About ready to dump it in the toilet! What does it mean to have your phone rooted? Really want to fix it as a new phone is not in my budget

Keyouta

Jan 18, 2012
My phone is freezing and restarting ever since the 6.0.1 update failed once, I got it to go through finally but it hasn't been good. I've tried erasing and loading new OS through smart switch and it's still having problems. Should I try a custom firmware?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I found a solution to this issue since my phone has been experiencing the same thing. I would credit the OP that posted this solution as soon as I find where I got the information from. But anyhow, much like your phone my Note 4 N910T started to lockup/freeze/reboot. This lockup and freezing would occur mostly when I power my screen on and proceed to unlock it.

Step 1. Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
    Step 2. Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
    Step 3. Enable Auto-Start

This has fixed my issue with the random freezes, but my battery drains slightly faster.
    After doing some research on older threads. I noticed few mentioning a fix when their removing their sim card so I gave this a try with little hope and amazingly it's worked. I've opened up around 10 different apps and really straining the phone. Not 1 force close, freeze or reboot.
    So what on earth is going on here.
    What is my EE chip doing to cause these freezes and restarts.
    Solutions that worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8)

Edit:
    Sorry folks, solution #3 actually does not work - just got my first restart and some freezing issues. Will report back as I try other solutions. But solution #1 and #2 are still valid options.

Hi everyone,

Best thread ever. Seriously. I've read the entire thread and these were the solutions that I tried and worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8):

Solution #1: Install Wake Lock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl
    - Enable "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK" (5th option) and your freezing / rebooting issues should magically disappear
    - Problem with this solution is that there is a battery drain issue and it's a band-aid fix (i.e., you have to keep an app you probably don't want to have installed) to what appears to be a software issue

Solution #2: Go to Settings > Application Manager > Options (3 vertical dots at top right) > Show System Apps. Look for and click on "TouchWiz Home" > Click "Permissions" > enable "Contact" and "Storage"
    - You don't need to have Wake Lock (Solution #1) enabled and your phone will stop freezing / restarting
    - Problem with this solution is the camera appears to still freeze a little (especially when viewing gallery from camera app) but it will still work

Solution #3: So far the best solution that I've tried and it not only has made my phone snappier (less laggy), but also doesn't require Wake Lock to be installed. It has eliminated my freezing and rebooting issues --> Install Dummy File Generator (thank you debernardis for the solution!) Best of all, it appears this app will remove freezing / rebooting issues on other Samsung phones! Seriously this solution has given me back my sanity and 5 stars to the guys that developed the Dummy File Generator app.

See quote below for details:

People with these problems, try this:

Install Dummy File Generator from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.nomunomu.dummy

Run, push "generate (full)". This will fill your internal sdcard with big file(s). Most likely, it will stop and crash in the work.

Restart it (if it crashes at start, swipe it out from recent apps and try again), do that again until completely filled.

Now push "delete all of dummy files".

Repeat the fill/delete process until it completes without errors, and then 3-4 times more.

Now see if your device works better, and report. Mine did :laugh:
    In kernal Aditutor , go to CPU hotplug and change min cpu online to 2 .and max cpu screen off to 2. Scroll down and do the same under msm HOTPLUG,

its helping for now, and i have stopped using wake lock. Dont know how long it will work, but u can try :good::good:

sorry guys, The issue came back after some time, i think its something with emmc chip, :(:(:(

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Onec I tried to Home+ volume up +Power key in my note4. in few days I going to switch off and it's not open simple pressing power key so I slep on it and then try and it's switch on again.but one day it'ssuddenly switch off. Bro My Samsung Galaxy Note 4{910F} is suddenly switch off and now I can't switch on ,.when I connect charger it's shows nothing in screen what can I do plz help me.

take out the battery and hold power to release all the static from the logic board,, Try to switch it on again,

If not working, Hold power down+ home and power,.by doing that , you should be able to go to download mode. If you can , connect your ph to smasung kies or smart switch to reinstall the firmware.

If not, then take the battery out again hold the button for 30 secs . Put the battery in and connect your paper weight (dead note 4 :)) to pc. At this time the device still won't turn on. Windows will recongnize the device as "Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008"; if Windows recognizes the device you can disconnect it and follow my steps

1) Download the Mega.nz link as ZIP and exctract the content from: https://mega.nz/#F!QIMmFRIT!Ns3AM-n0FUoMqOOWUif9ng

please use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkVnYSCcYc procedure to avoid the download limit because the size is around 7 GB.

2) Go to the folder "Odin3", herafter called the root folder

3) Install "Win32DiskImager-0.9.5.exe"

4) Extract "QualcommDrv.zip" and install "dpinst64.exe" or "dpinst32.exe" from the folders "Allx64" or "Allx86" respectivly according to your Windows architecture (32 bit or 64 bit)

6) Open the folder "Note 4"

7) Open the PDF "(14-96) Boot Recovery Guide_Qualcomm_APQ8084 (includes SM-N910F) Rev 3_0.pdf" where you also can follow the steps

8) In the folder you will also find the pictures (1-8) to follow the steps
    http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png
    http://i.imgur.com/eQqZgX6.png
    http://i.imgur.com/cs0IRvq.png
    http://i.imgur.com/pozzf59.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ufEdrs2.png
    http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png
    http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

9) If you have a working N910F (or another working Samsung device) that you want to use to unbrick your bricked N910F, go to step 10. If you only have your bricked N910F go to step 19

10) Open the folder "309" and run "Odin3 v3.09.exe"

11) Insert the SD-Card in the working device and power it on if you haven't. Go to settings and format he SD-Card.

12) Power the working device off and put it into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

13) Connect the working device to the computer

14) Make sure in Odin the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 1]. Also make sure that the device shows up in Odin (ID:COM should be a blue bar)
    [PICTURE 1]: http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png

15) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "APQ8084_boot_recovery_v2.pit"

16) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5". If you get an error choose the file "BL.tar.md5" from the folder "N910FXXU1DPI1"

17) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

18) If you come from step 17, go to step 25

19) Insert the SD-Card in the computer and format it

20) Run "Win32DiskImager.exe" that we installed earlier

21) Click the blue folder icon and navingate to the root folder. Open the file " SD4GB.WinDI.IMG ".

22) Next to the blue folder click the option box under the text "Device" and make sure you select the driver letter of the SD-Card

23) Click "Write" and wait untill the image has been written to the SD-Card

24) Install "epm.exe" from the root folder and run it. Click "Start the Program" and make sure the SD-Card is partitioned as shown: [PICTURE 8]
    [PICTURE 8]: http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

25) Put the SD-Card in the bricked N910F and connect it with the computer

26) Put the bricked N910F into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

27) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 7].
    [PICTURE 7]: http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png

28) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

29) Click "AP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "AP_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

30) Click "CP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CP_N910FXXU1DPH1_REV00_CL_2068963.tar.md5".

31) Click "CSC"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CSC_VFR_N910FVFR1DPF1_CL8447885_QB10051693_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

32) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

33) If the device can't boot up normal or Odin didn't "PASS!" and there's a message like this: "ODIN flash read failure / mmc read fail" put the device into download mode again.

34) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 6].
    [PICTURE 6]: http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png

35) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "TRLTE_EUR_OPEN.pit"

36) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

Edit:
    37) If Odin didn't "PASS!" but rather "FAIL!", redo steps 27-32 until you unbridled your N910F.

Don't forget to report back on xda as well, so that other users will know about the ongoing.

If this method helped, don't forget to click thanks :)
    N910G (stock, unrooted) here, exactly the same thing.

So I factory reset it, now and its still doing it. with or without the sim or microSD

I also notice that provided i keep the screen active it operated fine, the moment i let it sleep i started getting issues.

the device is pretty much a semi brick now :(