Note 4 keeps freezing and restarting

Search This thread

lifely1

Jan 22, 2018
Kernel flashing

I had the same problem with my ROOTED Note 4 SM-910F running on stock MM firmware after the last Samsung update.

Flashing a new kernel completely solved the problem for me - no more freezes and sluggishness after unlocking the phone, reboot errors with eMMC, restarts etc...

I just flashed the latest v3.1 flashpoint kernel (https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev/kernel-flashpoint-v3-1-stock-n7-ports-t-t3727407) over stock one. Now, everything is working as before. No need to have partial wake locks at all!

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
How many of you have SM910G?

I think this model has low rate of having this freezing and restarting Problem

bowchaser

Sep 20, 2012
I had the same problem with my ROOTED Note 4 SM-910F running on stock MM firmware after the last Samsung update.

Flashing a new kernel completely solved the problem for me - no more freezes and sluggishness after unlocking the phone, reboot errors with eMMC, restarts etc...

I just flashed the latest v3.1 flashpoint kernel (https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev/kernel-flashpoint-v3-1-stock-n7-ports-t-t3727407) over stock one. Now, everything is working as before. No need to have partial wake locks at all!

Has anyone else tried flashing v3.1 kernel?

pcp20us

Aug 7, 2013
Realme 7
I flashed v3.1, and my phone turn off..... I restored my stock rom, now i have a bricked phone... It needs 30 mins in the freezer then the best i can get is the samsung logo and it freezes. that plugging it into my pc holding down the power button and insreting battery. I cannot get to recovery mode which is a bad becasue thats where i need to get to.

ITs worth a try. My phone needs the freezer treatment to get it to boot into any mode and after the flash it became worse

^DiMoS^

Aug 22, 2009
Sorry for my noob-iness but i want your opinion...
So 1-2 days ago my Note 4 (sm-n910f) started freezing up while using it... could it be emmc failure coming my way?
Some backround for my device:
It's not rooted...i have it since december 2014 and somewhere around at 2015 one day couldn't stop rebooting so i sent it to service and they replaced my motherboard cause they said it was motherboard problem...when i got it back was perfect though again around 2016 it started rebooting itself here and there randomly and mainly i thought it was software problem...sometimes i went 2 months without random reboots and sometimes i got 1 reboot a day.
now it usually reboots or go to boot loop if im low on battery until i plug it in to the charger then its okay again and boots normally!
Could it be just battery problem?
Took the androbenchmark test too:

Screenshot_2018-02-04-17-47-19.png

Edit: Nevermind... just did a hard reset on the phone and while setting it up i restarted while it was on the charger and the download screen came on with mmc_read failed ... i took it off the charger and took of the battery and put it back then opened it and it runs for now... until it completely dies! :(

Last edited:

MaxBPL

Feb 5, 2014
I've tried that kernel and it's still freezing. I'd decreases though from 6-7 reboots to 3-5 per day and mostly when battery is below 50%. Also it is decreasing battery level drastically after that level.
It looks like memory error for me. I've started to wondering if maybe little re-flow wold help. High temperature during usage could actually heat up components in some places and it will be right if some update would increase battery consumption.
Well nice step Samsung...
Have anyone got further suggestions?

Ps. Trying now with Wake Lock application on new kernel. So far so good!

Ps2. Flash of kernel solves my issue with losing Wi-Fi passwords after reboot.

pcp20us

Aug 7, 2013
Realme 7
Hi.

I ve been on this thread for a long time. I have tried every option with my note 4. The turning off is getting worse and getting it to boot, harder again.

So want to get a new phone. The note 4 does everything i need of a phone and i like the camera.

So to replace the note 4 with something equivilant will cost > $700 AUD... With something like huewi mate 9 or LGv20 etc.

Is it worth buying a new note 4 ( if you can find one) ones i see advertised are around $300 AUD, need to make sure they are brand new.

So anyone gone down this road to replacing there note 4 with a phone thats not going to cost $1000 AUD or more.

WaywardWizard

Feb 10, 2018

Has anyone else tried this?
How about writing a step by step guide or making a YouTube video?

MaxAue

Feb 10, 2018
On last Sunday my unrooted SM-910F suddenly got this issue. I had it for 2 years and 8 months and the warranty has expired 8 months ago. What is interesting, the last update I had was like a few months ago, so it indicates that it is either a hardware failure or Samsung deliberately spoils the working mobiles in order to force people to buy the new ones. Sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it is not unbelievable.

I have read this topic and have tried a few solutions - here are my findings:
  1. WakeLock solution works perfectly. I actually do not see any issues with the battery performance (however, I have replaced it a few months ago, so it is still pretty new). As the constant notification of WakeLock is a bit annoying, I have however searched for the other solutionsm,
  2. FlashPoint Kernel v.3.1 - I have rooted the phone and replaced the stock kernel with this one. Unfortunately, although everything else is working fine, WakeLock is still required - without it the phone still freezes/restarts.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: nicholes

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
On last Sunday my unrooted SM-910F suddenly got this issue. I had it for 2 years and 8 months and the warranty has expired 8 months ago. What is interesting, the last update I had was like a few months ago, so it indicates that it is either a hardware failure or Samsung deliberately spoils the working mobiles in order to force people to buy the new ones. Sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it is not unbelievable.

I have read this topic and have tried a few solutions - here are my findings:
  1. WakeLock solution works perfectly. I actually do not see any issues with the battery performance (however, I have replaced it a few months ago, so it is still pretty new). As the constant notification of WakeLock is a bit annoying, I have however searched for the other solutionsm,
  2. FlashPoint Kernel v.3.1 - I have rooted the phone and replaced the stock kernel with this one. Unfortunately, although everything else is working fine, WakeLock is still required - without it the phone still freezes/restarts.

Hope that helps.

My phone dead because of it and i believe same as you said "Samsung deliberately spoils the working mobiles in order to force people to buy the new ones"

And even after buying a new motherboard when i update the phone it got freeze again, so i had to sell it

Please suggest me best matching phone like note 4 under 250$ ( i would buy a used phone too if got like note 4)

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
My phone dead because of it and i believe same as you said "Samsung deliberately spoils the working mobiles in order to force people to buy the new ones"

And even after buying a new motherboard when i update the phone it got freeze again, so i had to sell it

Please suggest me best matching phone like note 4 under 250$ ( i would buy a used phone too if got like note 4)
If Samsung was "deliberately" designing their devices to fail - How would you explain why my Skyrocket - Note 2 - Note 3 - Note 5 Are all still running perfectly fine? The Note 4 issue (which has NOT affected all of them) IS clearly either a design or hardware (remember that Samsung has a number of parts suppliers) issue - It's DEFINITELY not a "planned" effort on Samsung's part to get their customers to buy new products! ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

MaxBPL

Feb 5, 2014
I've got something that helped in my case - root required:
1. Use Kernel Toolkit application and change maximum frequency to 19xx MHz and profile (in CPU tab) to performance.
2. Use Partail_Wakeup from Wake Lock application.

No more freezes and reboots from over a week.
SM-N9100F

dfh101

Dec 22, 2010
My note 4 (910F) finally gave up and wont switch on now, Got a refurbished Note 5 from ebay uk for £205 the week before it went, was like new, battery life is great and its very fast.

No way was i spending £800+ on a note 8, samsungs not getting my money after wrecking my phone with their crap emmc and wonky updates.

dfh101

Beatback

Sep 13, 2017
My note 4 (910F) finally gave up and wont switch on now, Got a refurbished Note 5 from ebay uk for £205 the week before it went, was like new, battery life is great and its very fast.

No way was i spending £800+ on a note 8, samsungs not getting my money after wrecking my phone with their crap emmc and wonky updates.

dfh101

Was trying to get a Note 4 with warranty but gave up because the one with 1 Year warranty was rooted and the seller doesn´t want to give warranty on a rooted device so it went back to the seller.

I have bought a new note 8 with warranty now even I doesn´t want to give money to samsung because of the emmc fail.
But the note series with the pen I need for my business....every day I make 2-4 Notes, I need it....

MaxBPL

Feb 5, 2014
Hello.
I quite do not understand what you meant by "dead" according to your Notes phones.
My 910F was not responding, resurrected, flashed inappropriate, downgraded by mistake and lost all funtions again (freezer helps) and it's finally working like a charm. I've even seen some eMMC memory fails during the week that I was dealing with Note.
For now it's the best phone that I've had (especially with S Pen support)

notachamp

May 2, 2017
Sometimes if your phone shutsdown and won't turn on again you have to remove the battery and wait some hour, then when you start it again make sure to not turn off ur screen untill you open the wakelock app again and check if it's on partial mode. That's what i did yesterday and that gave my phone the life back. My phone works now 1 year with wake lock app, you don't need new kernel, roms ( and belive me the best working rom on the note 4 is the original) or anything just that app and 'the remove battery and wait trick" and to check if partial wacke lock is on.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
yes, this is an okay work around, if only the battery wouldn't be affected as much..

I'd love another fix - someone posted the Deep sleep battery saver app in slumber mode helps and doesn't drain the battery but I think you need to be rooted and the ratings are quite bad, saying it is infected with adware :/

Isn't there some genius who can make an app, that just keeps the CPU alive while using minimum power only?
PLEAAAAASE - you could call it NOTE 4 SAVER and charge 5 $ for it or whatever, better than 600 +

But if I think about all that, Samsung would do everything to get an app like that offline, I think they even would pay the creator of the app a few ten thousands of $$$

Economy makes me sad!

Sigh.... ?

Sent from my Samsung SM-G955W using XDA Labs

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
how can you be so sure, that it isn't designed by samsung? well not every device got the built in death-o-matic but it's enough for me to know they did it on purpose - you just sound like a samsung employee tbh.. but that's okay, it's economy, we have to accept it or build our own phones, TVs, printers, light bulbs, etc.
but what really annoys me is the fact, that you can't do a lot but buy a new phone! i mean ok - add a few little filthy bugs, so that customers with enough money just buy a new phone, but the ones who really like this model - or don't have enough money to buy another smartphone every 2 years - are able to fix it somehow.. make it complicated but NOT IMPOSSIBLE, ya money grabbin swines :eek:

Maybe because Samsung's earnings for 2016 were:

49,596,900,000.00US Dollars

You really think for a "New York minute" That Samsung needs to sell you a new phone?

Sent from my Samsung SM-G955W using XDA Labs

Attachments

• deal-with-it-cat.gif
    deal-with-it-cat.gif
    503.3 KB · Views: 60

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
how can you be so sure, that it isn't designed by samsung? well not every device got the built in death-o-matic but it's enough for me to know they did it on purpose - you just sound like a samsung employee tbh.. but that's okay, it's economy, we have to accept it or build our own phones, TVs, printers, light bulbs, etc.
but what really annoys me is the fact, that you can't do a lot but buy a new phone! i mean ok - add a few little filthy bugs, so that customers with enough money just buy a new phone, but the ones who really like this model - or don't have enough money to buy another smartphone every 2 years - are able to fix it somehow.. make it complicated but NOT IMPOSSIBLE, ya money grabbin swines :eek:

I Agree 100 %
Cheers for the great post:good:

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

YES!!! Absolutely.
You really think they only want to sell a new phone to ME???
And 50 Billion USD revenue means "OK yeah, it's more than 150 bucks a year so we build 'em proper now"?

OK, you might know A LOT about Android, smartphones, software, hardware, all that I didn't want to learn in the first place but now I'm reading hundreds of posts, in dozens of threads.
And now I finally know, that fcken Wake Lock is just like a bridge to use the Note 4 until I know which other device I want to buy - because it will die anyways in a week or month.

But you just don't want to believe what's obvious for some reason:
There was this dude a few months ago in THIS thread: censa - you've been giving him advice (change mobo or buy new one, you're correct about that) so he DID change the mobo and then THIS HAPPENED:

BLYAT, what a coincidence..
"impossible to install update" --> was that an attempt by Samsung to tell him "don't update to 6.0.1 or it will be useless garbage again"? xD

He was by far not the only Samsung victim, who got this behaviour with 6.0.1, others the day after the warranty ran out.
There's a f*ckton of knowledge and money that goes into evolving obsolescence. But there's even more money to be earned that way.
And there's not much I can do - in US you can file a collective lawsuit, even for devices out of warranty. No idea if that's gonna work here in Europe...

For you Americans, if you want to try everything there still is an (I THINK) active lawsuit against Samsung, you can write to them and maybe join(?): http://www.classlawdc.com/2017/04/25/investigation-samsung-galaxy-note-4-mmc_read-failed-defect/
Got the link from this video, where a guy is showing how to switch a mobo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwT9-RaWKaI&feature=youtu.be might be useful to you as well, if you're not going for the new phone.

I changed My mobo and it was working fine unless I update it to 6.0.1 (Shaggey suggested me) (and he sounds like samsung employee) and my phone again was behaving like freezing etc. i had to sell it and i wont buy samsung again because i agree with all you have said here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I found a solution to this issue since my phone has been experiencing the same thing. I would credit the OP that posted this solution as soon as I find where I got the information from. But anyhow, much like your phone my Note 4 N910T started to lockup/freeze/reboot. This lockup and freezing would occur mostly when I power my screen on and proceed to unlock it.

Step 1. Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
    Step 2. Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
    Step 3. Enable Auto-Start

This has fixed my issue with the random freezes, but my battery drains slightly faster.
    After doing some research on older threads. I noticed few mentioning a fix when their removing their sim card so I gave this a try with little hope and amazingly it's worked. I've opened up around 10 different apps and really straining the phone. Not 1 force close, freeze or reboot.
    So what on earth is going on here.
    What is my EE chip doing to cause these freezes and restarts.
    Solutions that worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8)

Edit:
    Sorry folks, solution #3 actually does not work - just got my first restart and some freezing issues. Will report back as I try other solutions. But solution #1 and #2 are still valid options.

Hi everyone,

Best thread ever. Seriously. I've read the entire thread and these were the solutions that I tried and worked for me (Note4 - SM-N910W8):

Solution #1: Install Wake Lock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl
    - Enable "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK" (5th option) and your freezing / rebooting issues should magically disappear
    - Problem with this solution is that there is a battery drain issue and it's a band-aid fix (i.e., you have to keep an app you probably don't want to have installed) to what appears to be a software issue

Solution #2: Go to Settings > Application Manager > Options (3 vertical dots at top right) > Show System Apps. Look for and click on "TouchWiz Home" > Click "Permissions" > enable "Contact" and "Storage"
    - You don't need to have Wake Lock (Solution #1) enabled and your phone will stop freezing / restarting
    - Problem with this solution is the camera appears to still freeze a little (especially when viewing gallery from camera app) but it will still work

Solution #3: So far the best solution that I've tried and it not only has made my phone snappier (less laggy), but also doesn't require Wake Lock to be installed. It has eliminated my freezing and rebooting issues --> Install Dummy File Generator (thank you debernardis for the solution!) Best of all, it appears this app will remove freezing / rebooting issues on other Samsung phones! Seriously this solution has given me back my sanity and 5 stars to the guys that developed the Dummy File Generator app.

See quote below for details:

People with these problems, try this:

Install Dummy File Generator from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.nomunomu.dummy

Run, push "generate (full)". This will fill your internal sdcard with big file(s). Most likely, it will stop and crash in the work.

Restart it (if it crashes at start, swipe it out from recent apps and try again), do that again until completely filled.

Now push "delete all of dummy files".

Repeat the fill/delete process until it completes without errors, and then 3-4 times more.

Now see if your device works better, and report. Mine did :laugh:
    In kernal Aditutor , go to CPU hotplug and change min cpu online to 2 .and max cpu screen off to 2. Scroll down and do the same under msm HOTPLUG,

its helping for now, and i have stopped using wake lock. Dont know how long it will work, but u can try :good::good:

sorry guys, The issue came back after some time, i think its something with emmc chip, :(:(:(

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Onec I tried to Home+ volume up +Power key in my note4. in few days I going to switch off and it's not open simple pressing power key so I slep on it and then try and it's switch on again.but one day it'ssuddenly switch off. Bro My Samsung Galaxy Note 4{910F} is suddenly switch off and now I can't switch on ,.when I connect charger it's shows nothing in screen what can I do plz help me.

take out the battery and hold power to release all the static from the logic board,, Try to switch it on again,

If not working, Hold power down+ home and power,.by doing that , you should be able to go to download mode. If you can , connect your ph to smasung kies or smart switch to reinstall the firmware.

If not, then take the battery out again hold the button for 30 secs . Put the battery in and connect your paper weight (dead note 4 :)) to pc. At this time the device still won't turn on. Windows will recongnize the device as "Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008"; if Windows recognizes the device you can disconnect it and follow my steps

1) Download the Mega.nz link as ZIP and exctract the content from: https://mega.nz/#F!QIMmFRIT!Ns3AM-n0FUoMqOOWUif9ng

please use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkVnYSCcYc procedure to avoid the download limit because the size is around 7 GB.

2) Go to the folder "Odin3", herafter called the root folder

3) Install "Win32DiskImager-0.9.5.exe"

4) Extract "QualcommDrv.zip" and install "dpinst64.exe" or "dpinst32.exe" from the folders "Allx64" or "Allx86" respectivly according to your Windows architecture (32 bit or 64 bit)

6) Open the folder "Note 4"

7) Open the PDF "(14-96) Boot Recovery Guide_Qualcomm_APQ8084 (includes SM-N910F) Rev 3_0.pdf" where you also can follow the steps

8) In the folder you will also find the pictures (1-8) to follow the steps
    http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png
    http://i.imgur.com/eQqZgX6.png
    http://i.imgur.com/cs0IRvq.png
    http://i.imgur.com/pozzf59.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ufEdrs2.png
    http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png
    http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

9) If you have a working N910F (or another working Samsung device) that you want to use to unbrick your bricked N910F, go to step 10. If you only have your bricked N910F go to step 19

10) Open the folder "309" and run "Odin3 v3.09.exe"

11) Insert the SD-Card in the working device and power it on if you haven't. Go to settings and format he SD-Card.

12) Power the working device off and put it into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

13) Connect the working device to the computer

14) Make sure in Odin the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 1]. Also make sure that the device shows up in Odin (ID:COM should be a blue bar)
    [PICTURE 1]: http://i.imgur.com/6OrWrlE.png

15) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "APQ8084_boot_recovery_v2.pit"

16) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5". If you get an error choose the file "BL.tar.md5" from the folder "N910FXXU1DPI1"

17) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

18) If you come from step 17, go to step 25

19) Insert the SD-Card in the computer and format it

20) Run "Win32DiskImager.exe" that we installed earlier

21) Click the blue folder icon and navingate to the root folder. Open the file " SD4GB.WinDI.IMG ".

22) Next to the blue folder click the option box under the text "Device" and make sure you select the driver letter of the SD-Card

23) Click "Write" and wait untill the image has been written to the SD-Card

24) Install "epm.exe" from the root folder and run it. Click "Start the Program" and make sure the SD-Card is partitioned as shown: [PICTURE 8]
    [PICTURE 8]: http://i.imgur.com/d6gvUbi.png

25) Put the SD-Card in the bricked N910F and connect it with the computer

26) Put the bricked N910F into download mode:
    Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
    To continue press Volume Up

27) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 7].
    [PICTURE 7]: http://i.imgur.com/MLtr5tH.png

28) Click "BL"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "BL_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

29) Click "AP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "AP_N910FXXU1DPI1_CL9117724_QB10791804_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

30) Click "CP"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CP_N910FXXU1DPH1_REV00_CL_2068963.tar.md5".

31) Click "CSC"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "CSC_VFR_N910FVFR1DPF1_CL8447885_QB10051693_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5".

32) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

33) If the device can't boot up normal or Odin didn't "PASS!" and there's a message like this: "ODIN flash read failure / mmc read fail" put the device into download mode again.

34) In Odin click "Reset" and make sure the squares are ticked like the 'YELLOW marker' [PICTURE 6].
    [PICTURE 6]: http://i.imgur.com/UEs6HxZ.png

35) Click "PIT"; go to the root folder, navigate to "Note 4" > "511" and open the file "TRLTE_EUR_OPEN.pit"

36) Click "Start" and wait untill you see "PASS!" in Odin

Edit:
    37) If Odin didn't "PASS!" but rather "FAIL!", redo steps 27-32 until you unbridled your N910F.

Don't forget to report back on xda as well, so that other users will know about the ongoing.

If this method helped, don't forget to click thanks :)
    N910G (stock, unrooted) here, exactly the same thing.

So I factory reset it, now and its still doing it. with or without the sim or microSD

I also notice that provided i keep the screen active it operated fine, the moment i let it sleep i started getting issues.

the device is pretty much a semi brick now :(