Note 4 vs Nexus 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

daytontp

Apr 12, 2008
The only Android devices I have ever owned were all Nexus devices, and my Nexus 5 is running CyanogenMod nightlies on it with TWRP and Nova Launcher. I much prefer this to stock Android.

I ordered a Note 4 today, and I would not be surprised if I get a Nexus 6 at some point. Yes, I am a gadget and smartphone junky.

But, as for my preferences.
- Nexus devices have never had good battery performance when compared to similar HTC and Samsung ROMed phones. The Moto X 2014 battery performance leaves a little to be desired.
- MicroSD card slot.
- Stylus.
- Note is slightly smaller and the screen is not that much smaller, and the Note 4 is almost 3 MMs thinner.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

NOTE 4 has a $200 rebate circulating

From what I have read, that is a old device trade-in rebate. Not a simple mail-in rebate.

Reactions: laofan

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
As the owner of a Fascinate, Galaxy S3, and now Note 3 who has been pondering upgrading to the Note 4 or Note 4 Edge......I am sick and tired of a couple things with Samsung that the Nexus 6 should alleviate...

1. signal signal signal......it still has to be a reliable phone, Motorola radios are just beast compared to Samsung, having to toggle airplane mode to get it to pick up the LTE tower......screw that noise.... nuff said there

2. front facing stereo speakers......ever since the wife got her HTC One M8 I had decided no more mono speakers on the back (looking at you GS3), or speaker on the edge(Note 3) and the Note 4 moved it to the back again!!! Note 4 downgrade.......

3. charging....more specifically the charging port on my Note 3 has been horrible. Original lasted maybe 8 months, replaced and it lasted a month maybe......I don't do anything weird with it, I just plug it in a lot....I am replacing it again when the new replacement arrives and hopefully this one lasts until the Nexus 6 arrives......

4. Note 4 reverted back to USB 2.0 from 3.0, although it's a faster USB 2.0 than the older handsets, USB 3.0 functionality was FAST.....another Note 4 downgrade.....

5. Qi wireless charging is supposedly built into the Nexus 6. This will be very useful in combination with the Turbo Charge technology (15 minutes for 6 hours runtime), wireless overnight charging, get a quick hit with the cable at work before leaving......no more worries on charge.

I will miss the S Pen on the Samsung....but oh well....I don't use it excessively, I will give that up for a better radio, more solid hardware and front facing stereo speakers.

I am cautiously optimistic that the VZW version will be able to be rooted and unlocked....can't afford to outright buy an unlocked model....but the Note 3 never was fully unlocked and it had lots of developer love so I would at least expect as much effort if not more will go into being able to customize the Nexus 6....because Google...

Last edited:

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
It appears the note 4 and the N6 share a lot of the same specs. Same processor, same amount of Ram and think same GPU. This should make aosp Roms easy on the note 4 and possible TW on the N6. (Seen enough porting threads to not hold my breath)

XxKINGxX2580

May 18, 2013
Houston
Ugh I really can't decide. Note 4 better camera. Replaceable battery. Micro SD. TouchWiz. Late Android updates (probably)
Nexus 6. GIGANTIC 6" screen. No replaceable battery, no SD card, Earliest phone with Android updates...

I actually don't mind TouchWiz on the Note 4. It looks so smooth compared to the S5. Uuuuuuughhhhh I can't decide.

msal

Mar 5, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Ugh I really can't decide. Note 4 better camera. Replaceable battery. Micro SD. TouchWiz. Late Android updates (probably)
Nexus 6. GIGANTIC 6" screen. No replaceable battery, no SD card, Earliest phone with Android updates...

I actually don't mind TouchWiz on the Note 4. It looks so smooth compared to the S5. Uuuuuuughhhhh I can't decide.

I had the same dilemma but finally decided to buy the Nexus 6 when it's released.

Just weight the various options and see how much you need sd card slot, removable battery, if you can stand touchwiz lag and slow updates, etc. See what works for you.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I had the same dilemma but finally decided to buy the Nexus 6 when it's released.

Just weight the various options and see how much you need sd card slot, removable battery, if you can stand touchwiz lag and slow updates, etc. See what works for you.

What made u go nexus? I'm kinda in the same dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I own a Note 3 and never use multi window. I find it quite annoying actually. I never need to see two things at once on my phone. ....If I am doing anything that involving I'm firing up a real computer....

Same here. I tried forcing myself to use it but don't really need it. Still I think it's a great feature for those that use it.

Reactions: mlock420

msal

Mar 5, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I Was about to say that. You paid for note 4 features... why remove them for aosp rom? Install google launcher from playstore if touchwiz is annoying.

This is a great way of speeding up TouchWiz lag; however, launchers do not affect the rest of the UI. You will still get lag when switching between apps, in the settings, notification and all throughout the phone.

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013
I do wish the nexus was thinner though. 10.1 mm thick sounds huge compared to my 6.9 mm iPhone 6

It's not 10.1 mm thick all over the phone, it's only on the middle part, edges are only 3.8mm,

Curve: 3.8-10.1mm (0.15-0.39 inches)

phone has curved back and would be a lot better in hand compared to slippery 6.9mm IP6

Reactions: mdwh and peadarog

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
It's not 10.1 mm thick all over the phone, it's only on the middle part, edges are only 3.8mm,

Curve: 3.8-10.1mm (0.15-0.39 inches)

phone has curved back and would be a lot better in hand compared to slippery 6.9mm IP6

I know it's not 10.1 mm all over bro, I can see that from the pic. Yeah it should be less slippery than the 6 plus

jasonleb1

May 29, 2010
NOTE 4 has a $200 rebate circulating
Not anymore (if you're ordering from AT&T or T-Mobile). Date says the 16th but I spoke to two Samsung reps who said the rebate is already over. The Note is available for regular order from ATT/T-Mobile, not pre-order anymore so the rebate doesn't apply to any new trade ins.

Last edited:

msal

Mar 5, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
What made u go nexus? I'm kinda in the same dilemma.
I decided by just weighing my options. I've never really had to change batteries although I can see the big appeal, especially if your battery somehow starts to malfunction. It's as easy as buying a new one and putting it in.

MicroSD cards were a big deal for me but this phone is being offered in 64 gbs which is enough for me.

I like the design of the Nexus 6 more than I like the Note 4's design. Not to say that the Note 4 looks bad - quite the contrary but the Nexus is a bit more appealing.

The biggest thing that pushed me towards the Nexus 6 is the software. I just hate TouchWiz. It lags. I hate the way it looks. Everything about it is unappealing to me. I would know since I've owned Samsung devices in the past. For almost 3 years, I've used a Galaxy S2 as my daily driver until it died a few weeks ago. It originally launched with Gingerbread but during those days, I was new to Android. Some of my friends had Galaxy nexus phones running ICS. Only after several months did Samsung finally release an ICS update. That's when I said enough was enough. I eventually found Cyanogenmod and flashed CM9 and haven't looked back. One of the biggest issues with Android right now is fragmentation but Nexus devices can solve that issue. You get the updates when Google releases them. Simple.

Of course, you can always flash CM on ayy device but I like getting Stock Android straight out of the box, especially with the new direction that Google is taking things. You know, with Nexus becoming a "mainstream" device. People also buy Samsung devices for Samsung features so they would lose out on that if they purchased the Note only to flash CM on it. Not to mention CM always has bugs, although they are certainly tolerable and they are addressed very quickly.

Of course, TouchWiz has grown in the past few years and has some very nice features, notably multi-window. TouchWiz camera also blows Stock camera out of the water, so if you love taking pictures, you might want to consider the Note 4.

tl;dr: Weigh your options and see what fits your needs. For example, if you're big on taking pictures, the Note 4 has a better camera. If you need an sd card or a removable battery, the Note 4 also has them. If you want Stock Android and fast updates, then go for the Nexus 6. There isn't a right or wrong option (in most cases). It's just about what fits your needs.

Reactions: barondebxl

wtherrell

Dec 30, 2008
Must be able to unlock bootloader.
So the choices are :
1. Stay on Verizon network with my UDP. = 64gb NEXUS 6. $$$$
2. Go T-Mobile. Inferior network, whatever data plan I can get. Get Note 4 with unlockable bootloader. $$
So I guess I really need to decide how important $$, S-pen and microsd slot are to me Versus Verizon network and UDP.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I decided by just weighing my options. I've never really had to change batteries although I can see the big appeal, especially if your battery somehow starts to malfunction. It's as easy as buying a new one and putting it in.

MicroSD cards were a big deal for me but this phone is being offered in 64 gbs which is enough for me.

I like the design of the Nexus 6 more than I like the Note 4's design. Not to say that the Note 4 looks bad - quite the contrary but the Nexus is a bit more appealing.

The biggest thing that pushed me towards the Nexus 6 is the software. I just hate TouchWiz. It lags. I hate the way it looks. Everything about it is unappealing to me. I would know since I've owned Samsung devices in the past. For almost 3 years, I've used a Galaxy S2 as my daily driver until it died a few weeks ago. It originally launched with Gingerbread but during those days, I was new to Android. Some of my friends had Galaxy nexus phones running ICS. Only after several months did Samsung finally release an ICS update. That's when I said enough was enough. I eventually found Cyanogenmod and flashed CM9 and haven't looked back. One of the biggest issues with Android right now is fragmentation but Nexus devices can solve that issue. You get the updates when Google releases them. Simple.

Of course, you can always flash CM on ayy device but I like getting Stock Android straight out of the box, especially with the new direction that Google is taking things. You know, with Nexus becoming a "mainstream" device. People also buy Samsung devices for Samsung features so they would lose out on that if they purchased the Note only to flash CM on it. Not to mention CM always has bugs, although they are certainly tolerable and they are addressed very quickly.

Of course, TouchWiz has grown in the past few years and has some very nice features, notably multi-window. TouchWiz camera also blows Stock camera out of the water, so if you love taking pictures, you might want to consider the Note 4.

tl;dr: Weigh your options and see what fits your needs. For example, if you're big on taking pictures, the Note 4 has a better camera. If you need an sd card or a removable battery, the Note 4 also has them. If you want Stock Android and fast updates, then go for the Nexus 6. There isn't a right or wrong option (in most cases). It's just about what fits your needs.

Thanks for this. I'm also tired of touchwiz and trust me I have always liked Samsung devices. It's not until I got away from Samsung devices for a few months, used the M8 for a while then the OnePlus and now iPhone 6 that I really appreciate a polished software. Now I look at touchwiz with almost disgust. When I went to best buy and checked out the note 4 it looked amazing especially the display, then I looked at the note 3 and I swear to u I asked myself "how the hell did I use this ugly UI" lol. I mean the old touchwiz is so freaking ugly it's not even funny. The newer one is definitely better but still ugly. Watching the note 4 reviews and every time I see the cartoony icons or how everything is kinda messy it just turn me off. So I think I'll go nexus too. Besides I never use the S pen not any of the features but they are great features though.

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Why would you want to run TouchWiz on this device? The only useful feature I can think of is multi-window; however, we are getting multi-window support sooner or later.

I personally wouldn't want to run touch wiz unless it has spen, other than that variety is nice. One of the biggest pluses of owning m8 is ability to switch between sense, GPE and Cm.

And yes multi window on a phablet would be sublime.

juscozimme

Aug 12, 2010
Columbus
There is no 16GB this time around. Only 32 & 64.

The Droid Turbo would've been an interesting option if it wasn't tied to Verizon. Maybe a GSM variant will make an apperance

My fault, 649 for a 32 GB Nexus is still ridiculous. When I attempted to post this earlier, I checked Moto's site and the Nexus 6 is there. The 32 GB Moto X is 599, the X2 is not available yet and Nexus 6 is not available yet. MOTO just started to offer 64 GB option on Moto X, and the price for that was 649 off contract. Maybe 649 for Nexus is reasonable considering it is a better device than the X an X2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock Android > TouchWiz

That was easy

Although to be fair, the Note 4 probably has a much better camera. But TouchWiz.. I'll stick with the Nexus 6.
    People have been trying to tell you guys that these are two very different devices that are aimed squarely at two different audiences. For the vast majority of people, a phone such as the Note 4 is NOT going to appeal to those who would even care about a Nexus 6. Same as a Nexus 6 isn't going to appeal to MOST people who would like a Note 4.

The average consumer (this means nobody here) is either gonna go for all the Samsung features and use it as it comes out of the box, or they aren't. They aren't going to stand around and compare screens and cameras and such. Honestly it's no surprise the Note 4 is on paper and for the majority of consumers a vastly superior device. I mean look at it. It has a SPen, heart rate monitor, finger print scanner, and all those Samsung bells and whistles. The sheer amount of "features" it has is a selling point regardless if people ever use them. Nobody (obviously some but not many) outside of xda cares if the battery comes out...or if they can watch YouTube and use a calculator at the same time..... .. They are too busy taking selfies with the "obviously superior camera because bigger numbers equals better". Samsung is the Apple of the Android world.

What average consumer would buy a bland, gigantic, Nexus 6 that has none of those features? Mostly nobody. The moment you try to convince someone the Nexus 6 is superior (for the true reason it is) which is the ability to root, rom, customize, etc...... Their eyes glaze over and they suddenly realize you're a complete phone nerd and they "just want a nice phone" not something they have to work on, change, modify, tweak, etc...... They want to take it out of the box, be able to impress everyone with a gazillion features, and feel good about their purchase. This is not the Nexus 6 owner......

But the largest audience of a Nexus device doesn't really care about anything mentioned above...... They know half of it is junk or will not be used, and they would rather not have all that crap because they were never interested in it to begin with.

I'm not here, like yourself and this hello guy going on about how the Nexus 6 is clearly the better device. I'm saying and have been saying that they are both great devices, which are aimed at different consumers, and therefore there is no "best device" because there is no "singular consumer".

I'm also not over in the Note 4 forums trying to post about how the Nexus 6 is clearly the better device. Because it's a personal choice. I'm better than that. So as long as you come over here to spout off negative remarks about the Nexus 6 in the Nexus 6 forums while you own a Note 4.......you will have to deal with this.

If you had a Nexus 6 with SPen, removable battery, fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, and a gazillion other features like Touchwiz, in which case it was trying to directly compete with the Note 4....then yes, by all means, compare them. But they aren't. So I don't. It doesn't matter to me who thinks what about any device. I am picking the device that is going to serve me best and so should you. Nobody should be buying a device because "it's the best because they read it somewhere"

To continue to make posts like "come on guise clearly the Note 4 is the best device evar! because so and so said so"........ Is not providing anything to the thread.
    I was back and forth between these 2 for a while and seriously considered the note4, but for me the trade offs between the screens are ok compared to the advantage of front speakers and ease of use and eventual availability of custom roms. I had an S3 and while it was pretty good I consistently had issues with GPS and cell signal, and the AOSP roms for it never fully stabilized. My N5 has always had pretty good signal, despite what reviews said. I think too many people get hung up on written reviews and don't make decisions based on 1st hand experience. If you've used both phones side by side for at least a day and still choose the note, ok. But if you are bashing either phone without actually using it maybe just don't comment, you make it more difficult for the rest of us who haven't fully committed to one or the other.

I wish there was some way to filter out the useless posts and have a thread with ONLY actual comparisons of these 2 phones from people who've had them both.

I currently have both, so here is my take. (As a side note, I had the iphone 6+ for a bit too, both the note 4 and nexus 6 are better....and this is coming from a guy who spent the last year on ios, and still thinks the ipad is the best tablet).

The note 4, when I got it, moving from the iphone 6+, was great. I was amazed by it. The screen and camera where nice, but the six plus had both a great screen and camera as well. It was the performance and functionality of android, since I last used it, that really impressed me. It wasn't as smooth looking (it was fast, just not as fluid) as the 6+...but it was still good enough. I really enjoyed my last 3-4 weeks with my note 4.

The cons of the note 4? Well I never got great battery life with my note 4 (in fact, I am getting better battery life out of my nexus 6, and was getting better battery with the iphone 6+), I rooted it, romed it, greenifyed, etc. I made the phone better than it was out of the box...but the battery life wasn't what I expect...but good enough. Anyway, despite all my rooting and etc, I still found touchwiz to be a bit over bearing. The spen was great...but I still preferred google keep and typing my notes. The spen was useful when annotating a picture you took (my water heater went out, sent a picture to a plumber, with some spen drawn arrows, and it helped convey what I needed to). But, overall, the spen was a killer feature for me. I am an academic, a biologist, and I do a lot of note taking...and it still wasn't practical to me. Anyway...my biggest grip was touchwiz. The random lags were still present, but less than in the past. The biggest problem was the look (I used nova launcher and icon packs to help hide this). Apps didn't seem to have a common theme (so I turned to third party apps), and overall I didn't like the look. Then I saw what samsung is doing with lollipop, and was disappointed. Material design is all but absent...and that is disappointing. I understand that cyanogen mod or whatever may come to the note 4, but I shouldn't have to do that, or put up with the instability initially. I really don't have time for that kind of thing anymore, or the desire...that is part of the reason I moved to iOS for a while.

Then came the nexus 6. People on here will say that the screen and camera are better on the note 4...and I am sure that is correct, but it isn't a noticeable difference to me. The gap is nowhere near big enough to make as big of a deal as people do on here. You can quote whatever review you want, and Ill quote another saying the opposite, and we will get nowhere. Funny how that work, huh? Anyway, the extra .3 inches on the nexus six, while maintaining a form factor similar to the note 4 in size, is outstanding. I have also got some great pictures with the camera, and no bad pictures to speak of. The build quality is great and the phone looks better in my opinion.

OVERALL, the phones are on par with each other hardware wise. You get a slightly better screen and camera with the note 4. You get a better form factor, look (subjective I know), and front facing speakers with the nexus 6. Pretty much a draw, so I wouldn't let that decide it for you.

The real killer feature on the nexus 6 is the software. Until you use pure lollipop on the nexus 6 (or nexus 5, moto x, etc; i guess), you can't just dismiss this. It is absolutely beautiful, fast, smooth, and fluid. Everything goes together and it is really just stunning. Honestly, this is the FIRST phone that I can honestly say tops the iphones in software; in terms of presentation and design. Take that, and combine it with the features on android that we have always loved, and you have the best user experience in the mobile ecosystem, in my opinion.

I have a problem switching phones, but I think that is coming to a stop. iOS is buggy and apple is overcharging for phones that have gimped specs (1gb of ram, and the six plus stutters often, due to scaling and the screen resolution). Other android phones are great, but I don't like the slower updates and aftermarket skins (moto aside). The nexus 6 has everything I need, and I don't see that changing. Plus, if you are dying to have some random feature found on another android phone, chances are it will pop up in the forum of an app in the play store.

Overall, I pick the nexus 6 (unless something goes horribly wrong in the next few days), and will be putting my note 4 up for sale soon.

This is solely my opinion, and these are arguably the best two phones on the market, so you can't go wrong. I hope this sheds some insight.
    So after some more reports begging for this thread to be closed, I have decided it's time to put this horse to rest as it's been beaten enough.

What probably could have been a useful thread in the beginning, has not turned into nothing more than several people who just want to get the last word in. But after the most recent cleaning, it still just keeps going on with the same players, same topic.

Thread Closed
    You guys should head on over to the Note 4 forum if you want the straight poop. It has all the same stuff we have here about the battery being disappointing (check their battery thread, anything from 3 hours SOT *gasp!* to 6.5hrs), and the software is laggy, and blah blah blah, etc... Interestingly though, I didn't really see any Nexus fanboys floating around their forum trying to tell the Samsung faithful how their phone is an awful choice. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Anyway, my point is that for every item you put in the plus column about the Note, there is probably someone over in the Note forum that has a complaint about it. Which is to say that it's not much different than here.