• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Note 7 Still Fully Functioning

Search This thread

Xyvis

Jan 31, 2017
Hey guys,

So I thought I'd make an account and post that I still have a Note 7 on VZW and it's still functioning, it doesn't seem to be re-directing calls to Verizon's customer support.

A bit about why this may be:

I turned in my Note 7 last year and got a Pixel XL. This Note 7, which was on my wife's account in December was swapped with my old Nexus 6P. Since we never actually ordered a replacement phone on my wife's line, about a week or two ago we finally received a box to return her Note 7, which we have not done yet. I decided to go ahead and put my Pixel XL's SIM in to the Note 7, and everything seems to work perfectly.

I even wiped the phone and I'm not getting any update notifications, if I check for updates I am told that there is one available (no description on what it does like usual) and am asked if I would like to install the update with three options. Yes, Later, or no. I clicked no and no further prompts occur.

If you guys who are still holding out on your Note 7 want any information or anything to perhaps figure out workarounds, let me know and I will do what I can.

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
They will most likely brick the SIM in your note 7 tonight at midnight. Expect it to happen. They can certainly tell what kind of phone the sim is in, even if the sim was originally in a different phone. Most likely any sim in a note 7 that is connected to a Verizon network will be bricked. Today is literally the last day our N7's will work with a Verizon SIM. Unless there have been some last minute changes to what VZ is going to do - and I doubt that, as they have already been bricking peopls sims in N7's for at least a week now - the chances are almost certain that your N7 will not work sometime later tonight.

eskomo

May 13, 2008
Michigan
They won't "brick" a sim card. It called a hot-line. Its done on the server to disable certain functions from certain models. Its easily reversed and can be avoided.

I had my N7 hot lined by Verizon on 1/26. 3 days later I had my N4 activated on the line after telling an online chat rep that I had misplaced the 7. Texts still didn't work, so after another online chat and again having to confirm my N7 wasn't in my possession they fixed it. I figured since both agents were eager to fix the line, but only if I had returned the N7 or "lost" it that it was pretty likely I'd be able to activate my 7 again. I waited a few days for the 1/31 deadline for hotlines to pass and went and activated this beautiful black onyx Note 7, and voila it worked. Unless they manually church imei on an account that's been signed off as no longer being tied to a n7 and in good standing, I think I'm all good till the N8.

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
I had my N7 hot lined by Verizon on 1/26. 3 days later I had my N4 activated on the line after telling an online chat rep that I had misplaced the 7. Texts still didn't work, so after another online chat and again having to confirm my N7 wasn't in my possession they fixed it. I figured since both agents were eager to fix the line, but only if I had returned the N7 or "lost" it that it was pretty likely I'd be able to activate my 7 again. I waited a few days for the 1/31 deadline for hotlines to pass and went and activated this beautiful black onyx Note 7, and voila it worked. Unless they manually church imei on an account that's been signed off as no longer being tied to a n7 and in good standing, I think I'm all good till the N8.

Did you use your original Note7 SIM*when reactivating the phone?

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
*if you work for or are affiliated with Samsung or Verizon, I'm not sure what Note 7 we are talking about. I lost mine* yes never touched the sim. It was the same one that came with the N7.

HAHAHA

The reason I ask is that, when I found that service had been cut to my Note7 I wasn't able to reactivate my Note 4 via the MyVerizon portal- I actually had to call into Verizon to do it. I was told by*multiple Customer Service Reps that they had put a block on the SIM card itself, not the actual device. Furthermore, while trying to reactivate my Note 4 (which had been working just fine the week before) they killed that SIM too... It ended up taking umpteen phone calls, 3 online chats, and a trip to the Verizon store (all-in-all, basically an entire afternoon) just to get*my Note 4 reactivated with*a*new SIM.

I'm just trying to avoid going through that process again.

HAHAHA

The reason I ask is that, when I found that service had been cut to my Note7 I wasn't able to reactivate my Note 4 via the MyVerizon portal- I actually had to call into Verizon to do it. I was told by*multiple Customer Service Reps that they had put a block on the SIM card itself, not the actual device. Furthermore, while trying to reactivate my Note 4 (which had been working just fine the week before) they killed that SIM too... It ended up taking umpteen phone calls, 3 online chats, and a trip to the Verizon store (all-in-all, basically an entire afternoon) just to get*my Note 4 reactivated with*a*new SIM.

I'm just trying to avoid going through that process again.

I hear ya I too was hesitant just because I didn't feel like having too contact them again after saying the N7 was lost and have it mysteriously in my possession and trying to connect to the network. During my 1st contact after N7 data went down I did mention I was an attorney and that what they were doing was really gray legally. All I got from only online chat reps was that my number had been hot lined and that they would fix it. Halfway through activating my note 4 they asked if I had returned n7 I said no I didn't see how it was even relevant but that I had lost it. Not another word. But my texts did not work. So next day again via online chat the rep asked about the N7. I said I "misplaced" it. She asked when. I said 3 days prior, 1/26. The day they hot lined it. She didn't say anything else, asked me to reboot the note 4 and it was calling and texting again. Fast forward five days I went to Verizon and activated my "misplaced" N7 via online hub without issue. No mention off a sim card ever and I touched neither phones sim card since the days I bought the phones.

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
Back on the Note 4. I'll give it a day or two before attempting to reactivate my Note7. As of now, there's been nothing to indicate that this round of hotlining will have different results than the last.

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
Got hotwired as well, What method are you using to reactivate you're phone? The online service or are you calling in and activating? It seems as if my sim card itself is what hotwired.

That's why I reactivated my Note 4, then trimmed down the SIM and used today. I now have 3-4 Nano SIM Cards, and a Nano to Micro SIM adapters. Assuming the hotlining will continue on a weekly basis, I'll just reactivate my Note 4 with one of the Nano SIMs not in use, then slip it into my Note7.

The first time I was hotlined, I didn't do any SIM swapping. I reactivated my Note 4 then, a few days later, went online and reactived my Note7 that was still loaded with SIM that had been hotlined.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 7 using XDA Labs

Reactions: Y0sHii

CarbonMan

Jan 12, 2017
Hi guys. I've been going with this for about a week or two now, similar to you guys and want to share my experience. My device was purchased through 3rd party means, and has no purchase history in my Verizon account. I was hot lined this past Tuesday, the 7th. I called and was on the phone with a manager for over an hour, who was extremely reluctant to help me (obviously). She told me that the recall had changed status to involuntary, and that Samsung is forcing them to hot line the phones due to whatever reason.

This is obviously crap, but boy was she reluctant to prove it and everything. So i said whatever and hung out. Two days later, I went to reactivate the phone on using their Online activation, and I received an error message saying my account was blocked from doing so. I spoke with an online rep who reactivated my phone with no questions asked. I asked her if there was anything wrong with my account or line, to which she said No. I asked her about anything relating to hot line and she told me specifically this: "If a Note7 is active on the line, block services to drive customer to upgrade". She totally disregarded the message, and said she'll place a flag on my account that if I continue to have an interrupt of service, I will look into it further.

It's obvious that if you are hot lined, and your calls get redirected to Verizon's special reps specifically for Note7 users, and will be their to assist you and leave you with no choice but to upgrade. If you contact verizon differently, whether it be over the phone through their normal tech lines or through their web portal, you are handled by the run of the mill employees who either don't care, or aren't told to handle your case by special means. Just keep fighting them.

Reactions: Y0sHii

Y0sHii

May 1, 2011
Toledo
That's why I reactivated my Note 4, then trimmed down the SIM and used today. I now have 3-4 Nano SIM Cards, and a Nano to Micro SIM adapters. Assuming the hotlining will continue on a weekly basis, I'll just reactivate my Note 4 with one of the Nano SIMs not in use, then slip it into my Note7.

....Beautiful, simply beautiful. THIS has been the answer I've been trying to squeeze out of the Verizon rep's from going to the local store, chat and even 3+ hour phone sessions. Literally all i needed to know was if my device's info was being broadcasted from the sim card that was previously hot wired!! It seems like it is therefore all i need now is to activate my old note 3. have it activated for a bit then shave that card down to fit the note 7. Go to the store and get a new sd card for the note 3 then activate and reactivate on a weekly basis until the note 8 comes out. Still looks like there is a way to Limp to the finish line with this recall/hotline issue.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Hi guys. I've been going with this for about a week or two now, similar to you guys and want to share my experience. My device was purchased through 3rd party means, and has no purchase history in my Verizon account. I was hot lined this past Tuesday, the 7th. I called and was on the phone with a manager for over an hour, who was extremely reluctant to help me (obviously). She told me that the recall had changed status to involuntary, and that Samsung is forcing them to hot line the phones due to whatever reason.

This is obviously crap, but boy was she reluctant to prove it and everything. So i said whatever and hung out. Two days later, I went to reactivate the phone on using their Online activation, and I received an error message saying my account was blocked from doing so. I spoke with an online rep who reactivated my phone with no questions asked. I asked her if there was anything wrong with my account or line, to which she said No. I asked her about anything relating to hot line and she told me specifically this: "If a Note7 is active on the line, block services to drive customer to upgrade". She totally disregarded the message, and said she'll place a flag on my account that if I continue to have an interrupt of service, I will look into it further.

It's obvious that if you are hot lined, and your calls get redirected to Verizon's special reps specifically for Note7 users, and will be their to assist you and leave you with no choice but to upgrade. If you contact verizon differently, whether it be over the phone through their normal tech lines or through their web portal, you are handled by the run of the mill employees who either don't care, or aren't told to handle your case by special means. Just keep fighting them.

Interesting, i was told that the service of hotlining phones were "automatically done by a computer at Samsung" -__- . Yes Samsung the manufacturer not the one providing service to the phone and literally got the run around for hours. So what im getting from your entry here is that they're are explicitly told to deny, deny, deny until you're give up and use an upgrade which will tie you to a phone for 2 years that you never wanted in the first place or activate an old device that you'll have to keep upwards of about 6 months until the note 8 comes out.. Unless you find that Golden employee that either doesn't know or doesn't care and will restore service to the phone even if its temporary. Ok *opens support Verizon chat* lets do this again.. :eek:

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
Although this process of hotlining our phones affects our SIM cards (and not our phones), it isn't permanent. A few days after my first hotlining, I was able to reactivate my Note7 still using the original SIM card.

Y0sHii

May 1, 2011
Toledo
Although this process of hotlining our phones affects our SIM cards (and not our phones), it isn't permanent. A few days after my first hotlining, I was able to reactivate my Note7 still using the original SIM card.

By activating a different device in place of it, then activating the note 7?
Or just deactivating the device waiting a few days and reactivating it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got hotwired as well, What method are you using to reactivate you're phone? The online service or are you calling in and activating? It seems as if my sim card itself is what hotwired.

The first time I was hotlined, I didn't do any SIM swapping. I reactivated my Note 4 then, a few days later, went online and reactived my Note7 that was still loaded with SIM that had been hotlined.

@raneym305 Wanted to know if you even got hotlined by using Note 4 SIM in Note 7. I am currently using Note 3 but want to go back to Note 7 using its SIM (I have cutter and adapter). But don't want to spend time with VZW support in order to activate different SIMs.

Thanks.
    Hey @vj950

Sorry for the belated response.

I haven't had a single issue with my Note7 since Verizon's last round of hotlining (their 2nd attempt, overall) 3 weeks ago... other than the fact that I was served a healthy dose of karmic justice last week when I dropped my, otherwise flawless, Note7 at the exact angle necessary for the most vulnerable point of the curved screen to collide with the merciless edge of a sidewalk curb; sending a minimal, yet noticeable, spiderweb of cracks across the screen!

Are you saying that your Note 7 works on VZW network? If yes, then can you tell me if you were ever blocked by vzw prior to this?

Yes a few months to a year ago (I don't remember how long ago it was) I attempted to put the sim card from my LG v20 (horrible purchase) to the note 7 and it was instantly blocked. Of course I put the sim back into the v20 and found out that it was fully blocked. So I called Verizon and played dumb and they said that the card had been placed in a phone with a bad IMEI. I told them I was trying a phone from a previous carrier and they said they believed me and to not put it into that phone again then proceeded to reinstate the sim. Fast forward to when I picked up the T-Mobile SIM. I did all the testing and am now with a fully functioning Verizon note 7 except that I keep getting that stupid update prompt meant to brick the phone. Wish I could just root it and get rid of the connection to their update server. Here are some pics of my note 7 right now.