• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Note 7 Still Fully Functioning

Search This thread

vj950

Apr 4, 2007
I think it was due to activating a device in lieu of the Note7.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 7 using XDA Labs

@raneym305 Wanted to know if you even got hotlined by using Note 4 SIM in Note 7. I am currently using Note 3 but want to go back to Note 7 using its SIM (I have cutter and adapter). But don't want to spend time with VZW support in order to activate different SIMs.

Thanks.

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
@raneym305 Wanted to know if you even got hotlined by using Note 4 SIM in Note 7. I am currently using Note 3 but want to go back to Note 7 using its SIM (I have cutter and adapter). But don't want to spend time with VZW support in order to activate different SIMs.

Thanks.
Hey @vj950

Sorry for the belated response.

I haven't had a single issue with my Note7 since Verizon's last round of hotlining (their 2nd attempt, overall) 3 weeks ago... other than the fact that I was served a healthy dose of karmic justice last week when I dropped my, otherwise flawless, Note7 at the exact angle necessary for the most vulnerable point of the curved screen to collide with the merciless edge of a sidewalk curb; sending a minimal, yet noticeable, spiderweb of cracks across the screen!

Reactions: vj950

WiggleCat

Jun 17, 2016
Sevierville
I still have and use my Note 7. I rooted it about a month and a half ago and it's still fully functional. As long as I don't drop it or anything (there's an Otterbox Defender on it anyway) I'll be fine literally forever with the way things are going now.

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
OK,

I have been using an old N4, I got a new SIM from Verizon for it. I still have my N7 with the original SIM that came with it. any recommendations on how to switch back to my N7?

I have a replacement SIM I bought on eBay. But I'm wondering if it would be better to just activate the old SIM or try to get the new SIM to work.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

MrBaltazar

Oct 28, 2014
Seattle
Anyone still using their Note 7 on Verizon? Still have mine.. currently using an old S4 (sold my replacement S7E).. thinking about reactivating my Note 7 with a spare (read:not the one that came with the Note 7) nano SIM card and not swapping the IMEI on my account.

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
I have an N7. I've been using an N4 for the last 6 months. I clipped my micro SIM and stick it in my N7. It looks like I'm getting 1x service but I can't make a call.

Not sure what to do next.

kiwiguy99

Jul 4, 2010
Anyone still using their Note 7 on Verizon? Still have mine.. currently using an old S4 (sold my replacement S7E).. thinking about reactivating my Note 7 with a spare (read:not the one that came with the Note 7) nano SIM card and not swapping the IMEI on my account.

Let us know if it works as I am in the same situation.

Am kind of hoping with the Note 8 coming out, Verizon may stop hotlining the Note 7's and we can use them again.

raneym305

Jan 17, 2015
Olympia, WA
Hey @vj950

I haven't had a single issue with my Note7 since Verizon's last round of hotlining (their 2nd attempt, overall) 3 weeks ago... other than the fact that I was served a healthy dose of karmic justice last week when I dropped my, otherwise flawless, Note7 at the exact angle necessary for the most vulnerable point of the curved screen to collide with the merciless edge of a sidewalk curb; sending a minimal, yet noticeable, spiderweb of cracks across the screen!

It's been 6 months, and my N7 is still my daily driver. VZW hasn't attempted to hotline my phone/account/sim since February. If not for the lack of support and a cracked (but usable) screen, I'd keep using this phone as long as I can. Regardless, my goal was to keep fighting the good fight until the release of the Note 8, and barring some unforeseen disaster within the next 20 hours, it looks like I'll make it.

Oyeve

Aug 30, 2010
It's been 6 months, and my N7 is still my daily driver. VZW hasn't attempted to hotline my phone/account/sim since February. If not for the lack of support and a cracked (but usable) screen, I'd keep using this phone as long as I can. Regardless, my goal was to keep fighting the good fight until the release of the Note 8, and barring some unforeseen disaster within the next 20 hours, it looks like I'll make it.

Kudos! I am still using my Note 7 as well. Its VZW branded but I use my tmobile sim in it. I am getting the Note 8 so I may finally send this back or keep it for posterity.

Spike96

May 28, 2013
So I've been using my Galaxy S8 for about a year now, and popped in my sim card from the GS8 into the Note 7 after reading some of the comments in this thread. It seems like a lot of you were certain that Verizon could not determine the device solely from the sim. Well, that was wrong.

After popping the sim into my Note 7, it did not work. Not only that, it is zapped for all devices now. After moving the sim from my Note 7 to the GS8, I couldn't connect to the Verizon network.

I checked my account online, and under my phone line, the GS8 picture had been replaced with the Note 7 and big red letters "Suspended".

So yeah, they can definitely tell which device you're using based on solely the sim. Need to get a new one now...

nossman

Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia
They won't "brick" a sim card. It called a hot-line. Its done on the server to disable certain functions from certain models. Its easily reversed and can be avoided.

That is quite interesting. I have had a Note 7 as a piece of history and it was completely well. One day I picked it up from the shelf and my SIM is not working in it. Battery still holds 100% charge and no warning messages. When I try to pick a network mode, I can only use Global (when I try LTE/GSM/UMTS it automatically jumps to Global). APN can be added manually but it is useless (I use T-Mobile SIM in it). Please, if you know how to get this function back, share your knowledge. Thank you!

Zeroskhaos

Feb 16, 2010
Dallas
That is quite interesting. I have had a Note 7 as a piece of history and it was completely well. One day I picked it up from the shelf and my SIM is not working in it. Battery still holds 100% charge and no warning messages. When I try to pick a network mode, I can only use Global (when I try LTE/GSM/UMTS it automatically jumps to Global). APN can be added manually but it is useless (I use T-Mobile SIM in it). Please, if you know how to get this function back, share your knowledge. Thank you!

Well I got a TMobile prepaid sim the other day for my essential ph1 but decided for fun to pop in that Sim into my note 7, programmed the apn and voila working perfectly aside from it complaining about the Sim not being from Verizon. The next day I decided to put the Verizon Sim into my note 7 and the TMobile back into my essential as in doing testing on which service is better and for 3 days now I have not had any issues with the service. I did have to switch it to global in Mobile settings as I had changed it for TMobile and rebooted since I was only getting 3g and bam, everything working. If your wanting to activate TMobile, pop in the Sim and program the apn settings. If you need any help, let me know!

vj950

Apr 4, 2007
Well I got a TMobile prepaid sim the other day for my essential ph1 but decided for fun to pop in that Sim into my note 7, programmed the apn and voila working perfectly aside from it complaining about the Sim not being from Verizon. The next day I decided to put the Verizon Sim into my note 7 and the TMobile back into my essential as in doing testing on which service is better and for 3 days now I have not had any issues with the service. I did have to switch it to global in Mobile settings as I had changed it for TMobile and rebooted since I was only getting 3g and bam, everything working. If your wanting to activate TMobile, pop in the Sim and program the apn settings. If you need any help, let me know!

Are you saying that your Note 7 works on VZW network? If yes, then can you tell me if you were ever blocked by vzw prior to this?

Zeroskhaos

Feb 16, 2010
Dallas
Are you saying that your Note 7 works on VZW network? If yes, then can you tell me if you were ever blocked by vzw prior to this?

Yes a few months to a year ago (I don't remember how long ago it was) I attempted to put the sim card from my LG v20 (horrible purchase) to the note 7 and it was instantly blocked. Of course I put the sim back into the v20 and found out that it was fully blocked. So I called Verizon and played dumb and they said that the card had been placed in a phone with a bad IMEI. I told them I was trying a phone from a previous carrier and they said they believed me and to not put it into that phone again then proceeded to reinstate the sim. Fast forward to when I picked up the T-Mobile SIM. I did all the testing and am now with a fully functioning Verizon note 7 except that I keep getting that stupid update prompt meant to brick the phone. Wish I could just root it and get rid of the connection to their update server. Here are some pics of my note 7 right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_201912.jpg
    IMG_20180608_201912.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20180608_201858.jpg
    IMG_20180608_201858.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Major_Nate

NighKids

Jun 24, 2018
Solicitud: "ayuda" Image Debrick para la nota 7 variante N930V 64 gigas por favor

Friend, excuse me I also have a note 7, unfortunately I brikeo, and I would like to make a request, to be able to rescue my note 7 by means of an SD card, If you could make a debrick image to your note 7 and share it since I can not get enter in any way in cel. when I connected it to the pc installed a driver like HS-USB QDLoader 9008..I have read that with a recovery image of start it could re-enter download mode by means of an SD and that way it could flash again the Stock Rom .

johnpjackson

Dec 11, 2013
Amherst, MA
Kudos! I am still using my Note 7 as well. Its VZW branded but I use my tmobile sim in it. I am getting the Note 8 so I may finally send this back or keep it for posterity.

I'm still using my Verizon Note 7 too!! :) (As of now, still, 08/11/2018)

I've been using it on PagePlus, an MVNO who rides on Verizon's towers, in fact, HAHAHA!! :) :)

I blocked updates to the device through the Android debugger tool and have never gotten an update. Still using Samsung Pay just fine too. And Verizon refunded me everything I paid for the device as well. They deserve eating the cost of the device, after the hell they wreaked on me cutting off my service with hotlining, multiple times. It's poetic justice that I ended up on PagePlus, using Verizon's network, and paying HALF for monthly service than Verizon had been charging me. THAT'S customer satisfaction!!!!!! :) :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got hotwired as well, What method are you using to reactivate you're phone? The online service or are you calling in and activating? It seems as if my sim card itself is what hotwired.

That's why I reactivated my Note 4, then trimmed down the SIM and used today. I now have 3-4 Nano SIM Cards, and a Nano to Micro SIM adapters. Assuming the hotlining will continue on a weekly basis, I'll just reactivate my Note 4 with one of the Nano SIMs not in use, then slip it into my Note7.

The first time I was hotlined, I didn't do any SIM swapping. I reactivated my Note 4 then, a few days later, went online and reactived my Note7 that was still loaded with SIM that had been hotlined.

Hi guys. I've been going with this for about a week or two now, similar to you guys and want to share my experience. My device was purchased through 3rd party means, and has no purchase history in my Verizon account. I was hot lined this past Tuesday, the 7th. I called and was on the phone with a manager for over an hour, who was extremely reluctant to help me (obviously). She told me that the recall had changed status to involuntary, and that Samsung is forcing them to hot line the phones due to whatever reason.

This is obviously crap, but boy was she reluctant to prove it and everything. So i said whatever and hung out. Two days later, I went to reactivate the phone on using their Online activation, and I received an error message saying my account was blocked from doing so. I spoke with an online rep who reactivated my phone with no questions asked. I asked her if there was anything wrong with my account or line, to which she said No. I asked her about anything relating to hot line and she told me specifically this: "If a Note7 is active on the line, block services to drive customer to upgrade". She totally disregarded the message, and said she'll place a flag on my account that if I continue to have an interrupt of service, I will look into it further.

It's obvious that if you are hot lined, and your calls get redirected to Verizon's special reps specifically for Note7 users, and will be their to assist you and leave you with no choice but to upgrade. If you contact verizon differently, whether it be over the phone through their normal tech lines or through their web portal, you are handled by the run of the mill employees who either don't care, or aren't told to handle your case by special means. Just keep fighting them.

Thanks.
    Hey @vj950

Yes a few months to a year ago (I don't remember how long ago it was) I attempted to put the sim card from my LG v20 (horrible purchase) to the note 7 and it was instantly blocked. Of course I put the sim back into the v20 and found out that it was fully blocked. So I called Verizon and played dumb and they said that the card had been placed in a phone with a bad IMEI. I told them I was trying a phone from a previous carrier and they said they believed me and to not put it into that phone again then proceeded to reinstate the sim. Fast forward to when I picked up the T-Mobile SIM. I did all the testing and am now with a fully functioning Verizon note 7 except that I keep getting that stupid update prompt meant to brick the phone. Wish I could just root it and get rid of the connection to their update server. Here are some pics of my note 7 right now.