• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Note 8.0 or upcoming LG G Pad 8.3?

Search This thread

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
engadget posted their review this morning; battery life is a bit weak (same as nexus 7) from their review. I was kind of hoping for better battery life esp at the price point.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Can you elaborate on the CPU issue? Is it possible this is only an issue on the European rom? Engadget mentioned slight lag in their review, but I just assumed that was b/c of the stock LG launcher and that something like Nova would have no lag, but if this CPU issue is widespread then i don't know if I want to purchase until there's a fix.

has anyone who has the tablet experienced any problems with lag or the CPU apparently only running on 1 core? How does this thing run with a good launcher like Nova or Apex? (I hate that blog reviews don't cover this point...I don't want a review of the stock launcher, I want a review of the device!)

I don't know any specifics about this software running on 1 core, but in the desktop world, that's not unusual. Not all software is written to take advantage of multiple cores. This sounds to me like it might be an issue with the test software. What matters is users' experience with running real-world applications. Everything I've heard makes it sound like reviewers and users have been happy with the performance. I would not worry much about a test finding like this. In addition, I'm hoping that custom roms will be available for this tablet sometime soon.

Reactions: Russellmania

Russellmania

Nov 1, 2011
I don't know any specifics about this software running on 1 core, but in the desktop world, that's not unusual. Not all software is written to take advantage of multiple cores. This sounds to me like it might be an issue with the test software. What matters is users' experience with running real-world applications. Everything I've heard makes it sound like reviewers and users have been happy with the performance. I would not worry much about a test finding like this. In addition, I'm hoping that custom roms will be available for this tablet sometime soon.

yeah GSMArena didn't seem to have any issues with their benchmarks. I mostly care about real world performance so that's why I'm wondering if people are experiencing any lag. I played with an Xperia Z tablet at best buy last night and despite having very similar internals to the Nexus 7 it was laggy as hell, so I think these custom launchers are probably the biggest culprits.

Geomaris

Oct 25, 2013
Diepenheim
CPU issue is detailed here [....]
you need to open this in chrome and it will offer to auto-translate the page for you in English
This is worrying me, because as owner of LG Optimus 3D I am well aware at how slow/non-existent LG software upgrades are
I will certainly wait until this gets sorted out

The AndEBench (native) score in this test was 6704 as opposed to 11958 for the Nexus 7 2. Aparently this benchmark is supposed to use all cores, but the G Pad 8.3 only activated two. In the multithreated version of the test only one core was activated. According to the reviewers LG Netherlands could reproduce these test results, but had no explanation yet.

Quote from the review (google translate):
The main menu is working well, the swipe to different pages goes smoothly and also opening the app drawer or the notification menu comes in fits and starts. Also, once you're in an app to work, everything is fine. However, sometimes you just just a fraction too long to wait when you start an app or switch between two apps. Sometimes it takes two full seconds before the keyboard appears. Not that the tablet is slow once he is on steam, but it seems like the clock speed of the CPU to slow start comes as the CPU load increases. Also there seems to be a thing to go wrong when on and off the different CPU cores.

Some comments on this review also poit out that this core issue may also be responsible for the low battery life.

Reckoning

Sep 6, 2013
yeah GSMArena didn't seem to have any issues with their benchmarks. I mostly care about real world performance so that's why I'm wondering if people are experiencing any lag. I played with an Xperia Z tablet at best buy last night and despite having very similar internals to the Nexus 7 it was laggy as hell, so I think these custom launchers are probably the biggest culprits.

I think you nailed it. If you look at the new Note 10.1 you'll see the same problem. Going to the "My Magazine" feature is painful. The thing lags horribly. I think these tweaked launchers are causing more harm than good. The manufacturers want to separate themselves by dressing up device but only manage to constrain the performance in the process.

Last edited:

ColdSunNC

Dec 17, 2010
The AndEBench (native) score in this test was 6704 as opposed to 11958 for the Nexus 7 2. Aparently this benchmark is supposed to use all cores, but the G Pad 8.3 only activated two. In the multithreated version of the test only one core was activated. According to the reviewers LG Netherlands could reproduce these test results, but had no explanation yet.

Quote from the review (google translate):

Some comments on this review also poit out that this core issue may also be responsible for the low battery life.

I ran the AndEBench Native test on my black LG Pad 8.3 with no other apps running (closed by holding home), not rooting and using the stock launcher (I'm in US):

1st Time: 13335
2nd Time: 9599

This tablet is jet fast for me and I'm happier than I was with my Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. I haven't run into a single problem, but I would love to put Cyanogenmod on this baby. I don't know what is going on with this benchmark, but it is a bit strange. I haven't noticed any issues at all.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I ran the AndEBench Native test on my black LG Pad 8.3 with no other apps running (closed by holding home), not rooting and using the stock launcher (I'm in US):

This tablet is jet fast for me and I'm happier than I was with my Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. I haven't run into a single problem, but I would love to put Cyanogenmod on this baby. I don't know what is going on with this benchmark, but it is a bit strange. I haven't noticed any issues at all.

I just returned my Galaxy Note 8 for the G pad at BestBuy Great built device but I think I'm also having the cpu issue Running the same test that you posted I got a score of 6571 and then ran it again and got 7371 :(

Hopefully this can be resolved soon

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

I just returned my Galaxy Note 8 for the G pad at BestBuy Great built device but I think I'm also having the cpu issue Running the same test that you posted I got a score of 6571 and then ran it again and got 7371 :(

Hopefully this can be resolved soon

On another note on my Galaxy Note 8 the screen was pretty bright at 45-50 percent However on this tablet I have to boost the brightness at least at 60 percent to have a nice clear display Leaving this at 45 percent is a no go as the screen is pretty dark

Sean09

May 6, 2008
Kingo root worked great for me. One click failed. Thanks for the kingo suggestion!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

Geomaris

Oct 25, 2013
Diepenheim

Engadget also reported the bumpy CPU thing in their review.
It's not that the G Pad is slow; it's that the G Pad isn't fast. All too often, apps launch with a pregnant pause and screen rotation is delayed. Then there are times when the CPU ramps up and the experience suddenly feels responsive and immediate. It's something most users won't notice or find much fault with.

Since the hardware itself is OK and test show spiky results, it is indeed likely a software implementation problem.
Hopfuly solved soon too.

fattymcdirty

Jan 6, 2010
For me, Kingo is stuck at "Connecting" - I installed the USB-drivers from the LG homepage "LGUnitedMobileDriver.exe", ADB interface is recognized in system - any help? :(

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Is this thing in best buy stores yet or are they actually waiting until Nov 3rd?

I called a couple of local BB stores today and got some odd info. One store said that they had 2 G Pads (in black only) and were not expecting to get any more. Another store that I called said that are scheduled to get 3 units, but not until Nov 10. This makes me wonder what's going on. Is there a problem with availability from LG? Or is BB pulling back from selling them? Maybe some other retailers will start to sell them.

Russellmania

Nov 1, 2011
It's in stock at several best buys in my area. I picked up a black one last night and they had 3 more in stock.

It's a pretty sweet tablet but I'm still evaluating if I want to keep it. I love the screen size, but the smooth back is hard to get a grip on and the tiny bezel makes it kind of hard to hold it. I might just exchange it for a Nexus 7 and get used to the smaller screen after all. I also am not in love with LG's skin. We'll see.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
It's in stock at several best buys in my area. I picked up a black one last night and they had 3 more in stock.

It's a pretty sweet tablet but I'm still evaluating if I want to keep it. I love the screen size, but the smooth back is hard to get a grip on and the tiny bezel makes it kind of hard to hold it. I might just exchange it for a Nexus 7 and get used to the smaller screen after all. I also am not in love with LG's skin. We'll see.

Would some kind of case make it easier to grip?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just made a compilation of the requests made on "new device request forum".
    Go there and give me thanks so we can be on the top of the most thanks on "new device request forum" :)

Link

PS: i hope they don't delete my post there; i made so many quotes :)
    LG has published the source for the G Pad here:

https://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensourceList?types=NAME&search=LGV500

Props to bigcatman over on the Android Central G Pad forum for posting this.

As an aside, this G Pad was stupid simple to root. Would love to see some development on it.
    The G Pad now has its own forum on XDA! Just figured I'd post here one more time to let anyone know who might have only been checking this thread.
    Sorry to put this up, but if you didn't need the s-pen, then you chose the wrong line of product in the first place.not realizing that and still comparing two different lines of products is a bit unfair to be honest that too especially in the Note 8 forum. Entire Note line is based around 1 thing primarily and it's the S-pen. Comparing G-pad to samsungs galaxy tab 3 would be more in the same league.

(mods: Hope you read this and give LG G-padders their own forum to bash note 8 or anything to their hearts content )

I wasn't trying to bash anything, sorry if it came across that way, not intended : )

However, the post asks "Note 8.0 or G Pad " and I think many ppl are torn between the 2 devices. My reply was directed at that question, not trying to down anyone/anything, but truly the G Pad is 6 months+ newer than the Note 8, I would expect it be a better device, and that's not bashing, that's just logic : )

And I respectfully disagree that "anyone getting the Note line that doesn't need the S Pen chooses the wrong device to begin with."

I bought the Note 8.0 not "needing" an S Pen, but THINKING I might use it for all the cool stuff it can do, and "WOUND up NOT using it", as I am certain prolly 50% of Note Users are like me. The way Samsung advertises it looks very appealing & like a very convenient way to interact with a phone/device, something that you will use in almost every action, but really there are a significant amount of Note users that still find it somewhat cumbersome to put to "real world use"...and rarely remove it from its lil slot.. : )

Ms D
    i have rooted my g pad with Kingo Android ROOT :p

I don't see the G Pad listed as a supported device on the Kingo website. You were brave to try it! Did you also install a custom recovery on your G Pad?

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

FYI, AndroidForums.com created a sub-forum for the G Pad today:

http://androidforums.com/lg-g-pad-8-3/

So, if xda doesn't want to give us a forum, we can go there, instead ;)