Note 9 Camera lag/freezing

Search This thread

trebills

Sep 2, 2010
Seattle
I have been having issues with the camera freezing/lagging on my note 9. It happens often, for example I open to take a photo and on the screen it freezes and I have to wait sometimes force close to get it to work, it happens while recording video too. I haven't seen anything online about this yet so maybe just my device.

Anyone, have this issue?

YogiTye

Aug 29, 2018
I have been having issues with the camera freezing/lagging on my note 9. It happens often, for example I open to take a photo and on the screen it freezes and I have to wait sometimes force close to get it to work, it happens while recording video too. I haven't seen anything online about this yet so maybe just my device.

Anyone, have this issue?

My husband has been having the same issue. We tried clearing the camera cache and rebooting and it stopped for a while, but resurfaced. 512gb us T-Mobile blue. No sd card installed.

trebills

Sep 2, 2010
Seattle
Are you saying using Nova launcher helps? Or it's causing issues? I'm not sure why that would cause the issue. I got a replacement from Verizon and it was doing it on the new one before I even downloaded any apps. Seems to be a issue that no one else has noticed or maybe I got the only 2 phones with the issue.

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
On a side note, where did all the other camera modes disappear to? Gif mode, etc... On note 8 you could swipe left for many more modes.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

The modes on mine are all across the top. Panorama, Pro, Live Focus, Auto, Super Slow Mo, AR-Emoji, Hyperlapse etc.

Rsmin

Feb 22, 2012
Are you saying using Nova launcher helps? Or it's causing issues? I'm not sure why that would cause the issue. I got a replacement from Verizon and it was doing it on the new one before I even downloaded any apps. Seems to be a issue that no one else has noticed or maybe I got the only 2 phones with the issue.
They said using another launcher such as Nova stopped their frame drops, hang ups. They were thinking it had something to do with Samsung's skin. To them once they used another launcher all their issues with it were gone. May not help your issue but worth the try..

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

Anyone, have this issue?
Are your pic and video saving to the SD card? If so, it might be your SD card. Try internal memory to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

laureanop

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I use Nova and I had the camera temporarily freeze a couple of times today. The issue is with the camera software most likely. No SD card

YogiTye

Aug 29, 2018
I can confirm no sd card in ours either and also on Nova.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

We just encountered a "Warning: Camera failed" also.... Just cleared the camera app data/cache and cleared the system cache. We'll see if it happens again.

trebills

Sep 2, 2010
Seattle
My husband has been having the same issue. We tried clearing the camera cache and rebooting and it stopped for a while, but resurfaced. 512gb us T-Mobile blue. No sd card installed.

Are your pic and video saving to the SD card? If so, it might be your SD card. Try internal memory to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, I am running an SD card though I have already tried it without. I have also got a replacement phone and it does it on that too. Sometimes it just freezes without taking a photo just on the screen as the viewfinder. Also, the camera freezes within apps most notably for me in WhatsApp and the front flash goes off but the picture is still dark. So far this phone is definitely sub par out the gate.

YogiTye

Aug 29, 2018
Same experience here. One working with no issues, the other without an sd card with freezing/camera failures.

Pekkle168

Jul 19, 2003
I have the same issue with Camera lag or freezing. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying. I am on Verizon with 128gb. So not sure what's the problem here.. Is this a Camera issue? Since not a lot of people are reporting the issue it seems..

torogi

Dec 4, 2010
I was taking pictures earlier and noticed this too.

It lagged that the flash and shutter was out of sync. Got a nice white out picture.

Verizon, 512gb. Save to internal memory.

trebills

Sep 2, 2010
Seattle
I was taking pictures earlier and noticed this too.

It lagged that the flash and shutter was out of sync. Got a nice white out picture.

Verizon, 512gb. Save to internal memory.

Same thing was happening to me. I just replaced it with a 128gb one from verizon today. SO far it seems a lot better and smoother. Not sure if it is the 512gb ones that are the issue or just a random thing with some

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Camera Freezing/Lagging on Note 9

Anyone, have this issue?

Dear trebills and others in this thread, This is Cole from Samsung Electronics’ North American offices. We would like to further discuss this issue with you. Would you be willing to provide your contact information in a private message so that one of our technical support agents can get more detailed information about your difficulty?

Name:
    Best contact number:
    Best Callback Time:

Anyone, have this issue?
    I miss that gif maker mode.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Its there. You need to go into settings and scroll down to Hold Camera Button to and click it. Has options to Take picture, Take burst shot or create GIF
    Android Authority just reported on this issue. Nice to see that the media is starting to pick up on the story as well. Hopefully this helps light a fire under Samsung so they take care of the problem in more of a timely manner.

https://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-9-camera-freezing-927492/#respond

Hopefully this helps light a fire under Samsung so they take care of the problem in more of a timely manner.
    When did they say that? The post by Samsung Cole is not confirmation that they are working on a fix. His response was really vague.

And no one at Samsung phone support knows anything about this issue and neither do their supervisors. I've called multiple times