• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Note 9 users, will you be getting the Note 10+?

Search This thread

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Every year there is the debate of whether to upgrade or not. On the positives, you'll get a bigger screen, faster processor, 4-6 GB more RAM, more camera options, slightly bigger battery and sleeker design. However, you'd be giving up the headphone jack, have to deal with the punch hole camera, and potentially having more accidental screen presses with the all screen design.

Given the aggressive discounts, it still might be worth it for some. Will you be upgrading?

KingVekxin

Sep 12, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
absolutely freaking not. its too gimmicky for me

Attachments

• bdd.jpg
    bdd.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 693

Kimbo82

May 23, 2013
Stockholm
If there was a trade-in option like in the USA then I would consider, but in Sweden there are no good incentives and it's quite expensive for such a small upgrade. Maybe later if they will have some good deals for Blackfriday or christmas.

Sprov

Oct 12, 2015
Bologna
Yes! But for the first time I'll lose features, in order of personal importance: force touch button, headphone jack, hearth rate sensor.
Let's just call the Note 10 "Note10e".

kbrn

Jun 3, 2010
The Sunshine State
Not enough for me to upgrade, the freaking punch hole and the lack of a headphone jack and the heart rate sensor I used to upgrade my devices almost every year or year and a half, smartphones tech has evolved so much that I can't really see the need to upgrade so often..

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Today, I had a chance to check out the Note 10 and Plus models at Best Buy. After checking it out for about 15 minutes, it felt like a purely cosmetic upgrade. Yes, it looks more sleek than the Note 9, especially in the Aura Blue color, but the reality is it ends up in a case anyways which adds bulk to the bezels. The hole punch was nearly invisible using night mode. The power button on the left is where one's index finger rests, so that change likely won't be an issue. Once the wow factor of the huge screen wore off, you realize that Samsung is basically using the same formula as the Note 9 and S10 series. Sure, it's a bit faster with the SD 855, EFS 3.0, and 12 GB RAM, but do they make a real world difference? Not really. I have a OnePlus 7 Pro as well, and the 90 Hz display combined with smoother software experience give the Note 10+ serious competition.

With 5G so sparsely available and carriers still figuring out what bands to use, I'd say the 5G model is premature. Even when 5G gains steam in 2020/2021, it's likely that the X50 modem will pale in comparison to the performance and versatility of upcoming 5G modems. As for the smaller Note 10, I can see it being popular with those coming from an S7 or S8. It is very comfortable to hold and offers good specs, though it will need to come down in price to compete with the S10/S10+.

The best summary of the situation mentioned is that the Note 9 was a phone that offered everything with no compromises. The Note 10+ offers extreme specs and gimmicky features, but gives up basics that Note 8 and Note 9 users appreciated. It is a very good looking phone with great performance, but not worth paying such a hefty price after one year with the expensive Note 9. Don't be shocked if this is deeply discounted for the holidays.

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
No headphone jack for a $100 more and not even a damn dongle or a 45 w charger in the box. Never paying more for less. Samsung is going the direction of apple's after mocking them for years for the same things they're doing right now. They've even removed their mocking videos from everywhere. Now, even the price is the same. Claiming that they removed the headphone jack to have space for the spen and a bigger battery. Turned out the bigger battery is only 300 mAh extra and the pen is the same size as ever. Asus managed to put a 5000 mAh battery in a phone WITH a headphone jack and two USB-C ports. Samsung is starting to cut corners to save some money on production and make more of it on sales since the phone market is basically saturated. They're freaking out because they're not selling as many phones as they used to. If they keep going on this direction, this note 9 will be the last phone I get from them even though this has been my decision even before the note 10, but now I won't even consider them.

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
Well for those that can afford to pay full price for a device then trade said device in I'm sure getting the 10 is a good deal. It would end up costing what a decent mid range device cost. But for most of us we are on contract..lol. For me I could care less about on screen finger print. Some will say well I don't have to pick up phone to unlock it now. Have we become so lazy that picking up your phone is that hard. For me and this is just me, I don't think the 10 is much of an upgrade. Yeah I have 2 upgrades just sitting and waiting to be used at At&t but I don't think I will waste them on the 10 when the 9 is great..sucky camera but still a power house. Don't care about the gimmicky pen gestures I'm not a blogger and most average user will not use it. I'm a simple man will never have to convert my off screen notes to word documents, what I have to say isn't that important [emoji1787]. But to each person it may be seen different. But for me it's not an upgrade. The 10 to me is a midrange device, the 10 plus is beautiful but it's just not enough to justify the price.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To many features of the 9 were dropped like the heart rate sensor that I use daily so for me the 10+ would be a major downgrade from my note9 512gb.

Plus the hole punch would drive me nuts.
    1. No iris scanner
    2. No headphone jack
    3. No heart rate sensor
    4. Ugly centered hole punch front cam

Nope, holding onto the 9 for as long as possible.
    absolutely freaking not. its too gimmicky for me
    The hole in the screen is a deal breaker for me. I'm keeping my Note 9.
    Today, I had a chance to check out the Note 10 and Plus models at Best Buy. After checking it out for about 15 minutes, it felt like a purely cosmetic upgrade. Yes, it looks more sleek than the Note 9, especially in the Aura Blue color, but the reality is it ends up in a case anyways which adds bulk to the bezels. The hole punch was nearly invisible using night mode. The power button on the left is where one's index finger rests, so that change likely won't be an issue. Once the wow factor of the huge screen wore off, you realize that Samsung is basically using the same formula as the Note 9 and S10 series. Sure, it's a bit faster with the SD 855, EFS 3.0, and 12 GB RAM, but do they make a real world difference? Not really. I have a OnePlus 7 Pro as well, and the 90 Hz display combined with smoother software experience give the Note 10+ serious competition.

With 5G so sparsely available and carriers still figuring out what bands to use, I'd say the 5G model is premature. Even when 5G gains steam in 2020/2021, it's likely that the X50 modem will pale in comparison to the performance and versatility of upcoming 5G modems. As for the smaller Note 10, I can see it being popular with those coming from an S7 or S8. It is very comfortable to hold and offers good specs, though it will need to come down in price to compete with the S10/S10+.

The best summary of the situation mentioned is that the Note 9 was a phone that offered everything with no compromises. The Note 10+ offers extreme specs and gimmicky features, but gives up basics that Note 8 and Note 9 users appreciated. It is a very good looking phone with great performance, but not worth paying such a hefty price after one year with the expensive Note 9. Don't be shocked if this is deeply discounted for the holidays.