Note II - the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
As a now Nexus 6 owner...I hate to break it to you, but 5.0 is pretty sweet ;)

Too bad you're stuck on waiting for Samsung to screw it up.

I'm really itching to run cm12 but with having kids and all I really want to wait for a more stable release. Shouldn't be too long but I bet it's nice.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

na_tra

Feb 14, 2010
Hi all:

I just have one question:
Is it worth upgrading from MK4 4.3 to NE2 4.4.4? I have heard many wanting to go back to 4.3 after upgrading to NE2.

TIA

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
Hi all:

I just have one question:
Is it worth upgrading from MK4 4.3 to NE2 4.4.4? I have heard many wanting to go back to 4.3 after upgrading to NE2.

TIA

Well I went straight from 4.3 to cm11 but I heard the kit kat bootloader can be a ***** to fix once you upgrade. You'll have to do some research but there are ways to get past it should you want to root or downgrade. Hope that helps.

Reactions: na_tra

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
I'm actually quite fine with that. I have no qualms with my Note Edge as is. My Note 2 is just my work phone ?

Sent from my SM-N915P using XDA Free mobile app

Good luck with the Edge. Note 2 soured me on ever having a Samsung phone again, between Knox, lack of updates, and 1000 region and carrier-specific mutually incompatible SKUs.. Edge, I rather worry it will be a niche device with minimal development.

The other thing is that with needing a custom kernel to have root in Lollipop...Knox is going to bone development real quick. Heck Note 4 on Verizon still isn't rooted and the bounty is still out....looking like it never will be.

I'm really itching to run cm12 but with having kids and all I really want to wait for a more stable release. Shouldn't be too long but I bet it's nice.

Slim has made a ton of progress with 5.0, and if it wasn't for not being feature complete, 0.91 alpha could pass as a final in terms of stability....CM, well it has lots of bugs as of now (more typical of alpha level software). For example my Nexus6 with a Sprint nano-SIM on it shows up as "Carrier: Verizon" on Google Device Manager with any CM-based ROM.

Too bad Slim never had a fully supported official L900 Note 2 ROM.

Reactions: t4d73

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
Good luck with the Edge. Note 2 soured me on ever having a Samsung phone again, between Knox, lack of updates, and 1000 region and carrier-specific mutually incompatible SKUs.. Edge, I rather worry it will be a niche device with minimal development.

The other thing is that with needing a custom kernel to have root in Lollipop...Knox is going to bone development real quick. Heck Note 4 on Verizon still isn't rooted and the bounty is still out....looking like it never will be.

Slim has made a ton of progress with 5.0, and if it wasn't for not being feature complete, 0.91 alpha could pass as a final in terms of stability....CM, well it has lots of bugs as of now (more typical of alpha level software). For example my Nexus6 with a Sprint nano-SIM on it shows up as "Carrier: Verizon" on Google Device Manager with any CM-based ROM.

Too bad Slim never had a fully supported official L900 Note 2 ROM.

Yeah I hear you. I do want to move on and sadly it probably won't be a Samsung. I think they have great hardware but that's about it. Without a good custom rom and kernel it's pretty much useless. I think the majority are starting to realize that too.

Reactions: MiguelHogue

MiguelHogue

Jun 9, 2012
Washington,DC
Hey I got into the same boat you did somehow. Try flashing the attached file through odin with reboot unchecked then boot back into download mode and flash recovery with reboot unchecked. Now reboot into recovery and you should have a custom recovery.

this zip saved my phone. all is well now

I flashed the ne2 bootloader while on mc2. (big mistake) Thought I'd be able to boot into recovery and flash the community rom but it kept boot looping.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NE2 modem

Lots of apps do not work with ART as it still is only for testing purposes. The big one I use that is not yet ART is InSSIDer.

Myself, once there's a new NE2 radio flasher I'll update my radio. The only time my phone will see 4.4 TWiz is for updating PRL.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so here's a recovery flashable NE2 modem. Custom recovery only of course.

MD5: ce5a07aad23d2864a0e896fb1dcfcd31
    Kitkat apparently has special rules for external sd card files and this hack will make it r/w for all apps not just some

http://winaero.com/blog/unlock-external-sd-card-writing-for-all-apps-in-android-4-4-kitkat/

Yes google is trying to get rid of external sdcards so starting with 4.4 we have to jump through hoops to use them properly.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I think I will just wait for a prerooted and knox free version. Ether that or I will wait for CyanogenMod to be updated from nightly.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358540110

Here yall go a full flashable 4.4.2 stock deknoxed, deodexed, and rooted. If you are currently using touchwiz 4.3 then just do a factory reset and install. If you are on mc2 or lower you will need to flash the wifi fix (http://d-h.st/6qX#.U4kAjHLR23Q). This is pure stock so be prepared to be let down by samsung. You might have to update superSU via playstore but I think I have that fixed so please let me know.

Now for those who want more I am already working on a N3/S5 port with all the goodies!!
    And on another note, I just had to clean up 21 posts that did not belong in this thread.

I will respond to several of your questions and posts here.

First, no this thread and no other thread about how to accept an OTA or install a new build will ever be stickied. Stickys are for general information that is a benefit to everyone, not just those who can't use search to find the instructions they need.

Second, it is not appropriate to complain about a mod's actions. If you have a concern with a mods decision or would like to discuss it with them further please use PM. We don't have the time to see every thread and every post and will never know you are unhappy if you don't let us know. I promise the majority of us don't bite and will at least listen to your request. If you have a complaint about the action taken you can bring it up with the mod's Team Leader, the Moderator Committee or another mod who will get it into the right hands.

Third, and lastly, XDA is a global community with many people who come here from all walks of life and backgrounds. Just because a user doesn't understand what is happening or we feel a user is being lazy doesn't mean we get to be mean to them. XDA is all about the development community. Without community we have nothing. Let's remember to be nice and treat others how we would like to be treated.

Thanks!
    I'm on my way home to make a one-click. Has anyone seen a TAR yet? If not I'll see if I can grab it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Time for me to pull the source and update the community kernel thread. Be glad to do this before I move on completely to the S5.

Edit: ...and it's up. Surprisingly they didn't even turn on the standard 4 restrictions. So hopefully what we used for MK4 base will play nice; looks like it did because I did get a kernel and it's already up in advance of the ROM coming out.