Note7 Battery SWAP MOD? Note5 / S6 / S7E Battery etc ?

Search This thread

donce1991

Mar 8, 2017
Keep us posted for the Note8 battery mod .. S7 so far works great I used it with cellular and data plan . Easiest mod and fits perfectly. Not to happy about the charge tho ... maybe because of the note 7 original battery pcb ? charges around 2200 mAh even if it says charged 100% ... Or maybe the app that reads doesnt work well ...

sure :) as for the pcb, it could be the culprit, how the sot time on average? if it gives like 2/3 time of old battery, then there is definitely a problem

i did similar modification to friends s6 (to s7 battery) as someone did in https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/help/replacing-s6-battery-s7-edge-battery-t3410977 and https://vordhosbn.com/index.php/blog/tech/galaxy-s6-battery-mod-s7-edge-battery/ and it worked just fine so i think that not replacing the pcb on the new battery shouldn't make a big difference

edit: the pcb is not the culprit, you should only use the old battery pcb, about your battery capacity, its like this because your bought battery is fake and actually has just about 2200 mah capacity :(

Last edited:

parser

Feb 19, 2011
Mersin
I want to do the same procedure for note 5- s7 edge battery. Have a note 5 and battery is dying so I wanna give it a try. According to the table in the last page, both batteries are 42mm. The only difference is s7e battery is 13w/h where note 5 battery is 11w/h. Would it be a problem?

Would the procedure be as easy as changing pcbs and putting the battery in or is there something else?

donce1991

Mar 8, 2017
I want to do the same procedure for note 5- s7 edge battery. Have a note 5 and battery is dying so I wanna give it a try. According to the table in the last page, both batteries are 42mm. The only difference is s7e battery is 13w/h where note 5 battery is 11w/h. Would it be a problem?
Would the procedure be as easy as changing pcbs and putting the battery in or is there something else?

Yes, the procedure is about right, it should fit (i didn't measured note5 battery height, but it shouldn't exceed 5mm) and you should still have some space left, of course note5 didn't had a recall so you could also get the original battery (code for original note5 battery GH43-04522A, for s7 edge GH43-04575B) the hard part is that with original pcb there is a possibility it might not see full capacity and only like 70 or 90 percent of the new battery capacity (still great because of bigger new battery size of course) and if you use new battery with its own pcb there are some problems with capacity reading like it charges to 100 percent but the phone shows only like 79 percent.

edit: the last part (about capacity and charging) is somewhat false, if you gonna do any modification to use a diff battery then you should use the old battery controller pcb on new battery to ensure best working condition

Last edited:
Reactions: parser

donce1991

Mar 8, 2017
Keep us posted for the Note8 battery mod .. S7 so far works great I used it with cellular and data plan . Easiest mod and fits perfectly. Not to happy about the charge tho ... maybe because of the note 7 original battery pcb ? charges around 2200 mAh even if it says charged 100% ... Or maybe the app that reads doesnt work well ...

I am putting my modification with more info and pics to my new thread, you can look there https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-7/themes/note-7-note-8-battery-t3706904

Reactions: parser

dmartuniac

Apr 11, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
got my hands on some batteries, so i can post some dimensions (width, cos its the most important one and capacity), so far, those are the ones who are not compatible (i got original ones, fake and copies can and most of the time will be a bitt different size):

S6 46mm 2550 mah
s6 edge 44mm 2600 mah
s6 edge+ 44mm 3000 mah
S7 edge 42mm 3600 mah
S7 Active 40mm 4000 mah
s8 40mm 3000 mah
s8+ 46mm 3500 mah
note edge 40,6mm 3000 mah
note4 41.4mm 3200 mah
Note5 42mm 3000 mah

so far only these are compatible:

S7 39mm 3000 mah
note8 39mm 3300 mah

but still there are about 1 mm of width needed (original battery is almost less than 38mm) so you have to either take the tape off the battery and fold its sides or better remove that frame part between battery and motherboard, so, because of the size, i did the mechanical modification and put note8 battery in my note7, so far, the SOT is amazing (like more than half a day on wifi playing youtube ect) but charging is crappy (like 5 percent for half an hour, when jumps straight to about 80 and so on), of course it could because i am using note8 battery with its original charging board (no modification to battery only some to connector), will be posting more detailed info later if its gonna work out well :)
Hi, could you tell me the exact sizes of s8 and s7 edge?

dmartuniac

Apr 11, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
s8 - 40 x 83 x 5,7 mm
s7 edge - 42 x 96 x 5 mm
Dang, i thought I could fit the s7e battery inside s8, but it seems impossible. After 1 and a half years, my battery can't get me through a day, so i want to change it. Any recommendations about this procedure? I meam, wich battery could fit but is a little bit bigger in terms of mAh?

donce1991

Mar 8, 2017
Dang, i thought I could fit the s7e battery inside s8, but it seems impossible. After 1 and a half years, my battery can't get me through a day, so i want to change it. Any recommendations about this procedure? I meam, wich battery could fit but is a little bit bigger in terms of mAh?

cant say for sure, but a8 or s9 batteries looks similar size, but i don't have the exact measurements, but don't look at the older models, samsung improves their batteries every year, so you wont find a bigger (size /capacity) density battery in older phones compared to yours

tudgirl

Sep 28, 2017
My dudes, i have a note 7, but i don't have a battery, so i just thought that i could plug it in just for fun. Well the problem is that it works. It works for 5 minutes, then it starts restarting every 20 seconds. My question is, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Hzlph

Feb 17, 2015
My dudes, i have a note 7, but i don't have a battery, so i just thought that i could plug it in just for fun. Well the problem is that it works. It works for 5 minutes, then it starts restarting every 20 seconds. My question is, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I'm sorry I'm years late, but you gotta plug the phone in with a fast charger of any kind and it will work (and will be "charging", and funny enough it will go up in charge as though there was a battery in).

That's what I do with mine just to use it for no reason

Reactions: prston007

prston007

Nov 6, 2015
I have never ever once used fast charging on them knowing what it does and how it physically affects batteries, never ever had I used it on my note5 s6 s6e or s7e.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Samsung fast charging technology. My Note 4 was my first Note with fast charging. In 2019, I am still using my N4 with original battery ... and I always fast charged it. The N4 battery remains strong. Since Sept 2017, I fast charged my N7. The battery doesn't hold a charge like new 3 years later but it still charges very fast and holds up for a while (no worse than my N8).

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

the battery bay width in note7 is no more than 37mm

Using calipers, I got these dimensions from my original N7 2nd Edition battery: 37.9 mm x 97.8 mm x 4.9 mm

And your N7 battery was 37mm wide? Really?

Last edited:

prston007

Nov 6, 2015
seen S8+ battery which is wider, and S8 ... well, whats the point when S7 standard battery works 100% perfectly for Note7 battery swap? :)

The S8+ battery is too wide? Are you sure? According to iFixIt.com's article on their S8+ teardown, they claimed that the S8+'s dimensions were identical to the N7 battery.
https://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-battery-same-galaxy-note-7-2528215
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S8++Teardown/87086
I don't have the measurements of the S8+ battery. So, I can't verify iFixIt. I may order one just to see. But if you KNOW it won't work, please let me know.

And what about the Note 8's battery? Have you looked into that avenue?

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

It is a pity this thread died ... because in December of 2019, those Sept 2016 N7 batteries are starting to get weak ... which is why I am looking to replace my N7's original battery.

My aim is to attempt installing a Note Fan Edition battery ... and thus avoid major mechanical mods, hopefully. But, damn, finding a FE battery seems impossible. Can anybody tell me if the FE battery works? If so, where can I buy one?

I wish the work on modding the Note 8 would have continued and been reported.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Today, after doing some custom firmware work back and forward, I have managed to exhaust battery to ~35% ...

Mr. Ultimate, I must give you my hearty congratulations for your very impressive perseverance in developing a solution for replacing the N7's original battery. Your body of work is nothing short of extraordinary. That's why I sent a small gift in tribute to your efforts. If you had had a paypal donation button, I would have done that. Well done, sir. You are a paragon ... and your name is accurate, not hyperboyle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as it seems the underlying issue was all in these batteries of note7 and the aggressive design of the phone chassis itself - leaving little to no gaps for battery, probably not enough space for battery front and back either so batteries easily got squashed inside of the super-slim factor phone design chassis while wearing phone in tight pocket like situations and due to the fragile nature of the battery it just got affected, damaged and caught on fire like explained in latest samsung reports.

Here is the deal, I will get equivalent original samsung battery from S7Edge model etc, same 3600mAh capacity (providing the thickness is same or less than that of Note7) and with necessary modification (if applicable) to the battery terminal flex connector so it clips right in to the Note7 PCB just like original Note7 battery did, I think this should be excellent workaround for dangerous Note7 batteries!

I of course would try to perform various tests before final assembly of the phone with new battery mod in it, such as full discharge and recharge, also recharge while heavily loading phone with benchmarks, and also attempt multiple fast charging routines monitor how phone behaves with the new battery, that is - all these tests are to be done on phone fully disassembled in the worst case scenario if phone battery still would get caught on fire during the testing I would at least salvage the phone from disaster that otherwise would be inevitable when testing phone fully assembled.

Your thoughts?
    And who you gonna blame when your house burns down ?

how wonderful is your life? full of fear and lack of interests? talk down on someone elses achievements no matter how insignificant? no adventures yet enjoy pointing fingers on others? thoughts of blaming someone will solve something post fact? thats smart-talk, gtfo if you have nothing constructive to add

I will do "apple-sandwich mod" for this note7 and if it gets on fire posing risk to burn my house down it will have to toast trough my hip first and then we'll talk alright? :]
    Ok, according to my research (call it bro-science) as it was internet based on official reported measurements of devices, I picked some stripped down samsung phones (notes and S series), adjusted these pics to represent real manufacturer reported dimensions in photoshop and measured batteries in the pictures. So far I can give rough estimates and the best to my knowledge these measures may not represent exact measures of the batteries but actual measures should be less or equal than what I have figured out. Only thing left to question is the thickness of the batteries:
    We have here a patient, in a name of: Note7, this battery measures 99mm x 38.5mm
    Other models I have looked at were:
    S7edge 96mm x 41mm ( @MrBaltazar > you were correct regarding battery size there, its too wide )
    S7 88mm x 37.5mm (looks like ideal candidate for now, especially providing extra headroom for DIY work on the top of the battery which may not come out as neat as from manufacturer)
    S6 99.5mm x 46mm (too tall & too wide)
    Note5 108mm x 42mm (too tall & too wide)
    Note4 93mm x 39mm x 5.5mm(also seems like an ideal candidate plus its 220mah more in capacity vs S7 3000mah battery)
    S7 Active 91mm x 40mm (this would be interesting @ 4000mAh ... I just am almost certain - thickness of this battery got to be greater than note7 or note4/s7 candidate battery... a strong guess)

I feel note4 may be real good choice if S7 battery thickness is more than that of Note7, and note4 battery turns out to be slimmer or the same thickness after being stripped as Note7 battery ... especially after removing the top plastic trim that holds gold plated battery terminals with battery pcb and unwrapping first layer of label with NFC antena, that should shave off additional ~0.2-0.5mm from the whole 5.5mm note4 battery thickness.

So thats that, some food for thought
    I Tried Note 5 battery. Its bigger in terms of Length and width. As mentioned before flex cable is different and male/female end of connectors have been interchanged.
    Out of desperation disassembled old battery and took the battery circuit out. Soldered Nokia BL-4C 3.7 V 840mah battery. Voltage of battery at full charge ~4.1V. Charging stops at 100%. I was thinking of installing something like old rom to limit charge to 60%. I will be installing wireless charging battery for the battery backup.
    Its quite fun to play with it. :):)

http://ca.crackberry.com/samsung-wireless-charging-backpack/4A123A24419.htm

Nice post, looks like you did not strip nokia battery from the nokia battery charging PCB so it literally goes two ways. I may be wrong but I believe I am not, when battery wears out on original samsung battery combination, lets say samsung s7 battery was used and abused and from 3000mah drops to ~1700mah real usable capacity, the charging chip adjusts accordingly to the current usable capacity and stops charging when receives signaling from the battery that it no longer increases in the charge capacity. Hope Im putting it out right so you can understand, I believe if you use note7 charging pcb chip on stripped nokia 800mah battery it should literally accept 800mah as total max capacity and record this "100% equivalent" memory record in to its circuit (dont know if its one way memory write though , because as if you were to add 3000mah s7 battery on the later date, the N7 battery charging pcb chip may decide only charge it to 800mah due to previous record of capacity created when 800mah battery was used...)

Its complicated I know... but thats what I would do. Otherwise, two nokia batteries if stripped could be coupled parallel (if it fits well) and you therefore have 1600mah battery) which is rather usable for at least ~ half a day off the power cable :)

I was also thinking about note7 wireless battery charger mod, I dont know whats inside of that battery back pack, but if there is enough space to store two S7 or S7edge batteries, that would be amazing DIY mod that would deliver ~9000-10000mah of raw juice coupled with S7 battery already installed in the N7 frame.

For most I hope tha note7 battery charging chip does not have memory recording feature on its own, so we can play with random batteries for as long as we find one working the best, as otherwise if it does have such effect - its sad news, as once you install less than 3000mah S7 battery for testing etc, you can never use 3000mah brand new batery to its full capacity, but I am only speculating here for the most part untill its tried.

While on this note - would you have another of the same type nokia battery to connect in parallel (doubling the capacity) to see if it still charges to 100% on indicator and last ~twice as long after this mod?

PS: I think time to time n7 backpack battery cases appear online on ebay for lots cheaper, worth a search there too

Also, the charging indicator @100% is fine and well, and setting limitation of charge to 60% in settings would result in 60% of currently measured capacity which I believe is pretty pointless as that was the aim of samsung safety/prevention methods, knowing batteries usually failed while in higher charge state - they tend to swell more and tight fitment inside the n7 prevents expansion therefore battery will be softly pushing against itself while theres a risk of failure at that shorting within itself due to built up inner pressure, thats why the limiting to 80% then 60% then 30% was put in place so batteries does not reach high charge state there fore does not expand as much within itself and the risks are greatly reduced, that's how I understand samsungs point of view on the issue.

Let me know what do you think
    Updates...

So far I was very unlucky sourcing S7 battery which is my personal preference option due to this battery being most "up to date" tech variant available that should logically fit vs. the second best choice - a Note4 battery...

Also my donor Note7 is due in tomorrow as best case scenario, or latest Monday-Tuesday the 19'th-20'th of February, and I just dont feel like burning 30bucks on battery that probably does not fit by its thickness... (talking about note4 battery) , so I really want to take apart this note7 first and inspect the thickness of its original battery and the depth of the phone. What I mean in detail by that - please review this in-depth detailed report:
    https://www.instrumental.ai/blog/2016/12/beyond-the-teardown-galaxy-note-7

^^^ That is allegedly a note7 illustrated right there, this gives me hopes as if I stripped plastic and NFC chip from note4 battery I should end up with just about 5mm of thickness of the naked without NCF chip and w/o labels battery. However, I need to look harder about the S7 battery thickness as my eyesight would be strongly concentrated toward that if it was of the same thickness or even better if it was just under 5mm, but I am not sure...
    I also contemplated maybe even retrofitting apple iphone 6/6s or 7 battery providing it fits by its dimension and voltage measures (yea just pulled it from thin air havent measured or researched yet) , but at least talking about voltages should be bout right and capacity may be close to that of S7...
    Otherwise I was even thinking removing NFC/Wireless charging mechanisms from the enclosure so the excess pressure from battery wear and tear does not build up on either old original or new replacement retrofit batteries, give or take there has to be ~10% headroom for battery expansion which was really not thought trough in note7's (or if it was there was general battery design fault that was underestimated and exaggerated expectations from engineers who designed battery had failed them prematurely...)
    I have meantime located S6 battery which is way too big and it by no means going to be fitted there but I have another few tests in mind until I get my properly fitting battery alternative, just to rule out some questions and variables...

I think Chinese market fellows are up to some news regards note 7 because just lately I have noticed increase spike of note 7 cases and accessories at least on ebay, it just spiked my curiosity, what are the plans of samsung for the remaining 3+million note7's that they got back from the recall, are they by slight chance gonna push Note7S with note8 and S8 release? what are the chances of that happening? :D

Also I was deeply considering how would note4 battery be of a worse technology build vs S7 battery, knowing everyone who I know had note4 in the past almost every single one of them batteries had expended and died out rather soon within first year or so... I am just very cautious about this happening prematurely while retrofitted in note7 ... where as with S7 as many people I know using them and it has been about a year now of heavy use and abuse including those using quick-charge, batteries still perform ok and not swelling which is more promising when compared to note4 battery.

As lucky as I can get just by doing online hunt, I found one seller on aliexpress selling copy replacement batteries where he claims battery measurements to be ~88mm x 40mm x 5mm, and here we are talking about non original battery that is rated @ 3300mah as per sellers web page , out of which I feel it is reasonable to believe that it holds quality ~2000mah capacity knowing how all these generic batteries are made... it is real hard to find genuine battery, unless if I want to wait 60 days, I can order from China... hard hard decision on waiting vs the availability. I really am leaning forward just straight S7 battery swap with best hopes of longevity , but the quest now is to get exact measurements and fast delivery.

PS: Anybody reading this has new original battery for S7 (SM-G930 / G9300)who can ship it over to me or measure it precisely X * Y * Z ?

Thanks