Notification LED confirmed

Search This thread

Jumbie

Jun 24, 2008
If this can be made to function properly, I'm gonna be one happy camper.

One of the things I was gonna miss coming from my GS4. I still don't buy into the idea of ambient display. Seems like it won't pulse frequently enough for me to glance quickly at my phone and know what kind of notification I have waiting.

Reactions: HotInEER

JMUT

Dec 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Agreed. I'm not loving Ambient Display either. Would love to switch it off and have this LED notify me instead. I also use Light Flow's repeating sounds feature in case I miss an SMS and I'm not looking at my phone.

Last edited:

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
Agreed. I'm not loving Active Display either. Would love to switch it off and have this LED notify me instead. I also use Light Flow's repeating sounds feature in case I miss an SMS and I'm not looking at my phone.

I've got JMUT running some commands now to see what might work while I wait to get hold of my Nexus 6 here in the UK

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

It's seeming like red, green and blue are all possible (blue and red are quite dim compared with green) and I'm not sure how to go about getting the led to flash, it'll probably be an always on type led, but all progress I wasn't expecting!

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
I've got JMUT running some commands now to see what might work while I wait to get hold of my Nexus 6 here in the UK

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

It's seeming like red, green and blue are all possible (blue and red are quite dim compared with green) and I'm not sure how to go about getting the led to flash, it'll probably be an always on type led, but all progress I wasn't expecting!

So its a multicolor LED inside????

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston

Exciting stuff, man! Now I'm even more glad that I bought your app. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to utilize it.

Bjray

Mar 11, 2011
Texas
I love ambient display but I'll like a better notification for charging wirelessly.
Is it possible for a custom LED app to tell the difference between regular charging and wirelessly?

Jumbie

Jun 24, 2008
[/COLOR]It's seeming like red, green and blue are all possible (blue and red are quite dim compared with green) and I'm not sure how to go about getting the led to flash, it'll probably be an always on type led, but all progress I wasn't expecting!

Somewhat disappointed that those seem to be the only colors but that's more than I was expecting and I can learn to live with it if you can get it to work.

I have also happily bought your app and was thinking that I'd have to see what you could do with and on-screen lighted notification.

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
It looks like it has an RGB LED and a green one. They are both inside the top speaker.

Sorry I'm curious, you don't have the phone how do you know there's another led?

Base on the source code???

Edit: oh sorry! I got confused you with the developer of light flow

Sorry, sorry!

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL

Thanks for chiming in, Andrew. I'm excited by the prospect of having Light Flow continue to be an important part of my phone!!

litrekid

Sep 5, 2010
Anyone else get this to work? This is very interesting that they have an led there and no one has ever heard about it. I have been messing with light flow but can't get it to work. Not rooted yet though either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
I love ambient display but I'll like a better notification for charging wirelessly.
Is it possible for a custom LED app to tell the difference between regular charging and wirelessly?

Lightflow doesn't do this at the moment but it's certainly possible to detect the difference

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

Anyone else get this to work? This is very interesting that they have an led there and no one has ever heard about it. I have been messing with light flow but can't get it to work. Not rooted yet though either.

Root is required as they've not added support into android for controlling the led so the drivers needs to be controlled directly which is only possible with root.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Yes it's multicoloured

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

More than those 3 colors should be possible. It seems possible to control the brightness of each red, green and blue led to some extent which when combined together will hopefully giveya mix of colors.

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
ok it actually seems to work quite well after a bit of experimenting in the adb shell.

You'll need root but with that try the following:

Choose root mode
run every command as root and
direct mode
Make sure "su"/superuser has access granted for all requests

Then go into lightflow, notification settings and you should have a
"mixer" option. Enable that and you should then see options to set the
red, green and blue leds and also an option to set their brightness.

The brightness is has a 255 max value (0 being off) - (255 max brightness) and it should work.

The led won't flash but you can mix them together to get different colors. Technically you don't need to use the mixer but there's more control with it from what I remember.

xxroyalxtigerxx

Jun 22, 2014
So does anyone know if a custom rom came around if it would be able to utilize the LED or is it completely locked down, (like flashing speed and colors)

apogee82

Jan 8, 2008
Overland Park, KS
ok it actually seems to work quite well after a bit of experimenting in the adb shell.

Choose root mode
direct mode

The brightness is has a 255 max value (0 being off) - (255 max brightness) and it should work.

The led won't flash but you can mix them together to get different colors. Technically you don't need to use the mixer but there's more control with it from what I remember.

First off a HUGE THANK YOU Andrew! For figuring this out and for your app. I purchased Light Flow for the Nexus 5 and I'm so happy it's now working on the Nexus 6. When they took the LED away on the Nexus S I lost some sleep :p and it was the same for the Nexus 6 but you have made my day!

I have found that the best setting is to set the "charging Brightness" to 0 to disable the bottom LED which is always green. Is there any way to control the bottom LED to reflect the color of the top LED?

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
First off a HUGE THANK YOU Andrew! For figuring this out and for your app. I purchased Light Flow for the Nexus 5 and I'm so happy it's now working on the Nexus 6. When they took the LED away on the Nexus S I lost some sleep :p and it was the same for the Nexus 6 but you have made my day!

I have found that the best setting is to set the "charging Brightness" to 0 to disable the bottom LED which is always green. Is there any way to control the bottom LED to reflect the color of the top LED?

I'm pretty sure looking at the led drivers that that one is just one green led.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but the Nexus 6 does have a notification LED inside the top speaker. Been messing around with Lightflow and I have got the light to light up under certain conditions.

uqwhOIa.jpg

Edit - Just so it's right at the top. This is what you need to know:

Choose root mode
    direct mode

You will need the paid version of lightflow. The free version is not updated frequently and doesn't support all the required settings.

Also worth noting, that you can enable control of the "Charging" LED which is green only. If you use that LED, it's slightly brighter than using the standard "green" LED.

Also, brightness levels for the Charge LED are variable between 1 and 40. Over 40, it's no brighter.

The RGB LEDs seem to be on or off. I haven't seen any difference between brightness 1 and brightness 20 (or any other higher number, I just use 20 because the /sys/devices/leds-qpnp-f0067200/leds/red/max_brightness file indicates 20 is the max for this LED - it's 40 for the Charge LED)

Choose root mode
    direct mode

Agreed. I'm not loving Active Display either. Would love to switch it off and have this LED notify me instead. I also use Light Flow's repeating sounds feature in case I miss an SMS and I'm not looking at my phone.

Lightflow doesn't do this at the moment but it's certainly possible to detect the difference

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

Root is required as they've not added support into android for controlling the led so the drivers needs to be controlled directly which is only possible with root.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Yes it's multicoloured

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

More than those 3 colors should be possible. It seems possible to control the brightness of each red, green and blue led to some extent which when combined together will hopefully giveya mix of colors.
    With the next release due very soon, the default settings will work again and contact specific messenger notifications will too.