Notifications / Charging ring around camera hole, within or without Ambient Disaplay

Search This thread

ABSELT05

Mar 2, 2019
@akulp
Please try enabling developer options then scroll to its bottom and look for Standby Apps then set this app to Active. This process done automatically by system after a while of app install so making it directly may help.
2nd: I can but i can not promise soon, I hope next month will be made as a sub option next mixer and reminder.

akulp

Oct 16, 2006
@akulp
Please try enabling developer options then scroll to its bottom and look for Standby Apps then set this app to Active. This process done automatically by system after a while of app install so making it directly may help.
I can't, it's disabled and in "EXEMPTED" mode ...

@akulp
2nd: I can but i can not promise soon, I hope next month will be made as a sub option next mixer and reminder.
<3 :)

I made (pretty long, but it shows my problem) video. First I show my app settings, than I sent SMS to myself to get notification (meantime I also get Viber notif. :).
You can see that until 1:05 notification/clock widget is shown approx. ever 5 seconds which is app settings and it's ok.

Than on 1:05 appears for the last time ... until i pick up my phone. Then again works until 4:05 and than again stop working...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11chSBpPhQb3qbAamNLWC2CzvguO7d15S/view?usp=sharing

Behavior is similar if I set AOD or without AOD option ...

ABSELT05

Mar 2, 2019
@akulp it is for sure about system going in deep sleep if you clicked aoe_important in notifications settings it won't open a new settings page as usual?

akulp

Oct 16, 2006
@akulp

@akulp it is for sure about system going in deep sleep if you clicked aoe_important in notifications settings it won't open a new settings page as usual?

Yes, it looks like sleep ...

Here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-u137vwR2ljnBCdEoNhKJmMX08xrHyrL/view?usp=sharing

ABSELT05

Mar 2, 2019
@akulp yes from there maybe click bold silent at the top to change it and enable pop up will give it more priority

akulp

Oct 16, 2006
@akulp yes from there maybe click bold silent at the top to change it and enable pop up will give it more priority

Great, thank you, it works!

I choose silent, than there option "Pop up screen" goes into "Minimise (in the pull-down shade collapse notif to one line)". I enabled that and it works!

EDIT: It works for the first time ... Than i tried to change between options Independent/With AOD/With AOD invisible and now stoped working again, no matter what option I choose :(
BUT ... I still can't use fingerprint sensor to unlock phone. I have to tap on screen to show default lock screen.
I'll try but it seems that fingerprint works only with (original) AOD on ...

Last edited:

ABSELT05

Mar 2, 2019
@akulp silent will also lower the priority
For finger print in independent lighting please enable app settings -> how to close -> fingerprint not working

akulp

Oct 16, 2006
@akulp silent will also lower the priority
For finger print in independent lighting please enable app settings -> how to close -> fingerprint not working

I tried SIlent+Minimise on and Default+Pop on screen.

Pretty the same random behavior. I tried all settings many times and all I can say is that the most reliable option is "Independent + clock widget".
When phone wants to go to sleep, you can see that original "lockscreen" shows for a second and that prevent phone sleep. In this case AOE works ...

It very, very useful app, but it's still a little buggy.

Thanks for fingerprint, I didn't found that option. It works, but you have to unlock twice. with first print phone took you to lockscreen, than with second print you can access home screen.

A

AndroidsNewl

Is there a way to make this work with apps within the work profile? AOE needs permission for notification access but unfortunately android work profiles don't support this.

akulp

Oct 16, 2006
Is it possible to have AOE Extra widget (clock, date, battery...) always on instead of system AOD?

I tried option "With AOE" and with system AOD on and off, but AOE is displayed only with notification ...

Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    pixel5.jpg

Video showcase https://streamable.com/friseg
    Shot by @Serial Kazama.

Similar to this or a shine effect only around camera or tens of other styles can be used to indicate an event such as charging, music playing or a notification to help you to know even who texted you just by a glance far from your phone.

some of you may know this app before and some may had struggled with it in its bad moment with a broken version but it did not stop improving and all got fixed and many more feature added.

Because this app has tons of options to customize your phone, even wallpapers, I will start by writing instructions for how to enable the basic options of the feature which this thread is about:

How To:
    1- Search google play "AOE" or "Always On Edge" and install this ~6MB App
    2- Enter section #1 "Main Settings"
    choose if you want the LED effect to be shown within System Ambient Display or a separated screen
    3- enable accessibility services and give required permissions
    4- Go back and enter section #2 "App settings"
    for when to light choose "when a notification comes" and/or charging lighting as you like
    5- scroll to bottom and save.
    6- Enter enabled apps section and make sure the app you will test with is enabled

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.used.aoe

Please give the app some time only once and then you will not need to even open it:
    After testing please discover all sections the app can do what ever you need for such feature
    like at the same place of step 4 you can enable Mixer which show all current notifications colors
    and Reminder which repeat lighting every X seconds and let other options you may like.
    in lighting settings section you can customize the general style of lighting.
    the app is indeed complicated due to variety of options and I'm always working on improving it.

Battery Drain:
    I use it personally for notifications only, all apps, while screen is on and off, reminder for 5 seconds every 5 seconds limited to 30 repeat and I got 100s of emails and messages and the app is not even on system battery use list. but in general this app can be used with no noticeable difference in battery usage and it can drain your battery in few hours. it depends on the options you choose, there are a lot of options to minimize battery consuming it basically depends on lighting time and enabled widgets.
    in worst cases there is options to prevent the app from working if device is not charging and other 10s of options so you can set when the app should not light as when the app should light.

App brief description:
    AOE contain a lot of features and options and all can be customized as you like, here is some of the main features:

Edge lighting can also be customized for charging, music, wallpaper and many other events

It can be customized to work in a highly flexible way with AOD clock or independently, or even both like Tap to Light feature.

Lighting can be around all screen or around front camera or both with many other lighting place options like LED style with variety of animations.

You can use it to show lighting effects for many events like notifications including missed calls of course, charging, fully charged, screen lock, screen unlock, headset plugged, listening to music ,
    ongoing or outgoing calls, recent apps menu and flash after unlock.

You can customize lighting color, style, effect and place for each event, each app, each contact name or even each chat group.

Notifications light has more useful additional features like Reminder which the lighting will be repeated every period you choose and you can even choose to make a sound alert for notification reminder,
    and Mixer which will iterate through all current notifications colors..

Brightness can be adjusted regardless of the lighting is independent or with Always On Display, on top of that you can set high brightness for lights and low brighting for AOD/clock widgets.

It has many options to restrict its job like prevent the app from lighting if device is charging, not charging, not in landscape mode, low battery, sleep time or to follow Do Not Disturb mode.
    with a block list to prevent it from working for someone

AOE also support lighting in all screen states, turned off or turned on, horizontal or vertical.
    The functionality seems to be okay, but the UI is quite unusual and inconvenient. I would pay 3-5$ if it was Material or close to it
    Cheers
    When I receive a notification, I always have to operate the fingerprint sensor twice to use the device.
    Is there a solution for this?

I already have the option "Fingerprint is not working, try to fix it" active, but the two unlocks remain.
    These are the settings I changed and everything is working as intended for me
    How do I keep the ring lighting on? When I get a notification it goes on fur a few seconds, then off, and doesn't continue. I'd like it to continue flashing the ring until I actually check the text or swipe it away. What's the setting for that?

There's actually 3 places to check for that. Which is a bit concerning from an app design perspective.

The first place to look is in: the "Enabled Apps" sub-menu. At the top there is a slider bar with the title "Default Lighting Time X second" where "X" is a number between 5 and "Always". This controls the length of time that, by default, an a new app's notification will stay lit.

The second is also in the "Enabled Apps" sub-menu. For any given app there is a gear icon to modify the individual app's setting. In the app setting, there is another slider bar exactly like the previous one.

Finally, if you have selected a time less than "Always" in the previous two areas, then there is a "reminder" setting at:
    "App Settings" -> "When to turn on Edge Lighting" -> "Notifications Lighting" -> "When a notification is received" -> "Reminder, while screen is off, repeat notification for X seconds every Y seconds."

This section allows you to set the conditions which occur once the original lighting period have expired.

You might think that you could just set the default "Enabled Apps" slider to "Always", but there are some caveats:
    1 - You will get no sound reminders after the initial notification if you don't engage the "Reminder" function.
    2 - If you engage the "Reminder" function, you will get reminder sounds for all enabled apps, if "reminder sound alert" is enabled in "App Settings" and cannot disable it per-app.
    3 - When AOE is first launched, it detects all apps on your phone and stores that list in its settings. All apps are "Enabled" in the "Enabled Apps" sub-menu by default. If the App setting is changed, it will be remembered by AOE and never again respect the default value. I've noticed that even after uninstalling and reinstalling an app, AOE will remember what you had the app set to previously.

So if you really want apps to stay lit forever until you turn on the screen, I would do something like this:
    If you want audio reminders:
    "App Settings" reminder box: Checked.
    "App Settings" repeat slider 1: 59 seconds.
    "App Settings" repeat slider 2: 1 second.
    "App Settings" reminder repeat slider: 0 (no time limit).
    "App Settings" reminder sound alert: Checked
    "Enabled Apps" default slider = 59 seconds
    Individual app's slider:
    -- For apps where you want an audio reminder: 59 seconds
    -- For apps where you don't want an audio reminder: "Always"

Bear in mind that if you do this, the "mixer" function will probably not work the way you expect.
    If you have a notification for which you want an audio reminder, but a later notification is received for which you don't, then you may only see the "low priority" lighting color because its notification period hasn't expired. I'm actually unsure how that would be handled.

Additionally, it will almost certainly give your battery life a beating.

Frankly, that kind of setup makes the entire app pretty clunky and difficult to figure out. It would be a lot easier if it was organized more like LightFlow, where you get a couple of pre-defined notification alerts based on easily recognized needs like "Phone" and "SMS/MMS" with all audio and visual alerts and reminder periods are configured individually, by app instead of spread out across multiple submenus. I'm certain I don't need default lighting and audio alerts for "com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim" enabled by default.

I would expect that the vast majority of people are using the app to get visual and audio indicators of missed events. I'd also expect that those events come from a limited number of apps and people assign differing priorities to the notifications of different apps. Treating them all the same is probably making every user's life more difficult.

There's no doubt that @ABSELT05 made a very pretty, very awesome app, but I feel that it's held back by its poor navigability, confusing but limited customization options, and by not recognizing what people are using it for. As an example of poor navigability and confusingly convoluted, but limited customization we have the above scenario. As an example of not recognizing the major use case, we have the wallpapers.

All that said, I did buy the app, and bought the premium version at that. I like its functionality, even if that functionality is sometimes confusing to enable and limited in some respects. I hope that this will be updated in the future, so I supported the development with my dollars.
    Hi.

Thank you for this app. Very nice.
    I was wondering... could it be possible to use it as a battery display as well?
    On my previous phone I had an app that used the camera notch to display the battery but it no longer works on the Pixel 5. I was kind of hoping this app would do the job.

Any plans for this?

Regards,