Nougat H90130b boot.img, system.img, modem.img (Upgrade from stock procedure)

Search This thread

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
This is outdated. You can still use this procedure if you want, but there is now a flashable zip that can be used for upgrades, or clean installs in this thread, unless you have an AT&T H900.

If you have an AT&T H900 and would like to upgrade to stock Nougat, then you can follow the procedure below. You only need to flash the kernel (boot.img) and system (system.img). Nougat works OK with the rest of the MM firmware.
I have not gotten verification that the modem firmware is OK for the H900. On a lot of other devices, the modem is the same for the AT&T and T-Mobile versions, but need to be sure.

If you have an H900, follow the procedure below, but do not flash the modem, or rpm for now. Nougat works with the MM modem, and rpm. Once I find a brave soul that is willing to test the modem, and rpm on the H900, I will update this post. If you are willing, I can give you the instructions to backup your modem and rpm partitions. This is something that will either work, or won't, but you can revert -- it isn't going to brick your phone, but you MUST have backups of those partitions. I don't have them since I don't own an H900.

Here is the quick and dirty on how to upgrade to Nougat and keep root. Edited to add modem, and rpm...

First the usual disclaimers:
You blow up your phone, that is on you.
This method has only been tested on STOCK rooted MM v20L -- anything else, and you are in uncharted territory.

* Download boot.img
SHA1: 0ac43ba62c7bd548bf25f4f3125dc07dbf49a859
* Download system.img
SHA1: 7916482970b2c4113b79d41ff89f00c41f783008
* Download modem.img NOT FOR H900
SHA1: 76e4a1dc098b1497f31ed7de3fc21d8365ebc025
* Download rpm.img NOT FOR H900
SHA1: 90a98e04c2083303378898d37857766fdfb01525

Until I (or someone else) makes a flashable zip, you will have to do it manually:

* adb reboot recovery
* adb push boot.img /sdcard
* adb push system.img /sdcard
* adb push modem.img /sdcard
* adb push rpm.img /sdcard
* adb shell
* cd /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name
* dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=boot
* dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=system
* dd if=/sdcard/modem.img of=modem
* dd if=/sdcard/rpm.img of=rpm
* exit
* adb reboot system

It will complain about running out of space when you are flashing system -- you can safely ignore this.
Once you reboot, it will upgrade you to Nougat. I have deleted the recovery-from-boot.p so you will not lose TWRP, but you will lose root (temporarily). Also, all the crapware will come back if you debloated.
Once the upgrade is complete and you are back, you can reboot to recovery and flash your su binary of choice to regain root, and then proceed to clean all the crap up again.

In the event that you don't want to go through all this crap, I will be posting (unless someone beats me to it) an update.zip that is debloated and pre-rooted this weekend (don't have time till then).

I have tested this on my own phone, so I know it works. Again, I was running stock v20L that had been rooted with dirtycow, and SuperSU for my su bin.

Lastly, make sure you enable developer mode and disable automatic updates :)

-- Brian

Last edited:

chaitea

Aug 13, 2013
May try this on a 20j rooted with Magisk tonight. Thanks!

*edit*
Just in case anyone else is on 20j. You can flash Magisk v13 after pushing boot and system.

Last edited:

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
Well, you can try rolling back to v20L. Go into download mode and see if you can use LG UP to flash the v20L KDZ. If they didn't increment the roll back version, then you are good to go. If they did, then I dunno. I will be trying some things this weekend.

-- Brian

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
@eigokyoukan Please post the exact path to the by-name devices so I can update the post. You will know if you are in the right directory if you type ls and see boot, system, modem, laf, etc, etc...

Thanks,

-- Brian

alotmoore

Aug 11, 2011
New York
The path is
Capture.JPG

eigokyoukan

Feb 2, 2010
Cincinnati
Just got done flashing and upgrading, worked like a charm! Thank you again for the images.

The directory you want to go to in the middle step is (you were close!):

* cd /dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name

Just got to flash SU again and debloat and I'll be back to my normal setup!

EDIT: Just wanted to report back that just flashing the latest SuperSU package got me back up running on root just fine, and am running smooth so far on errything

Last edited:

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
I will edit the first post to reflect this, but the reason that the baseband is unknown is because we haven't flashed the modem yet. The phone works fine with the old modem firmware, but I will be making a flashable modem. Newer is ALWAYS better -- right? :) /s

-- Brian

rafaelox24

Jan 17, 2017
If i'm already on 7.0 there isn't any method to get root Right? or you will make a flasheable rom pre-rooted? If ask because im gonna make the update right now, i will lose my TWRP? i will use LG Bridge

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
@rafaelox24 If you are already on 7.0, then you have lost root, and there is no (currently) known way to root. If you upgrade to 7.0 using LG Bridge, you will lose root forever (well most likely).
If you are still on MM 6.0.1, then use the instruction provided here, and you can keep root.

Reactions: rafaelox24

rafaelox24

Jan 17, 2017
Oh, Well thanks for your response, i will wait for a flasheable rom, i don't know who, but someone say that ara going to do a flasheable zip, i supposed that means will be able to flash with custom Recovery.

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
OK, I added the modem firmware. If you have already flashed boot and system, just follow the same procedure, but skip those and go right to flashing the modem. You will then have a nice baseband version in your settings / about phone / software info. It makes a big difference too. My phone had no service after a reboot for about 30 seconds, now it locks onto the cell immediately.

-- Brian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is outdated. You can still use this procedure if you want, but there is now a flashable zip that can be used for upgrades, or clean installs in this thread, unless you have an AT&T H900.

If you have an AT&T H900 and would like to upgrade to stock Nougat, then you can follow the procedure below. You only need to flash the kernel (boot.img) and system (system.img). Nougat works OK with the rest of the MM firmware.
    I have not gotten verification that the modem firmware is OK for the H900. On a lot of other devices, the modem is the same for the AT&T and T-Mobile versions, but need to be sure.

If you have an H900, follow the procedure below, but do not flash the modem, or rpm for now. Nougat works with the MM modem, and rpm. Once I find a brave soul that is willing to test the modem, and rpm on the H900, I will update this post. If you are willing, I can give you the instructions to backup your modem and rpm partitions. This is something that will either work, or won't, but you can revert -- it isn't going to brick your phone, but you MUST have backups of those partitions. I don't have them since I don't own an H900.

Here is the quick and dirty on how to upgrade to Nougat and keep root. Edited to add modem, and rpm...

First the usual disclaimers:
    You blow up your phone, that is on you.
    This method has only been tested on STOCK rooted MM v20L -- anything else, and you are in uncharted territory.

* Download boot.img
    SHA1: 0ac43ba62c7bd548bf25f4f3125dc07dbf49a859
    * Download system.img
    SHA1: 7916482970b2c4113b79d41ff89f00c41f783008
    * Download modem.img NOT FOR H900
    SHA1: 76e4a1dc098b1497f31ed7de3fc21d8365ebc025
    * Download rpm.img NOT FOR H900
    SHA1: 90a98e04c2083303378898d37857766fdfb01525

Until I (or someone else) makes a flashable zip, you will have to do it manually:

* adb reboot recovery
    * adb push boot.img /sdcard
    * adb push system.img /sdcard
    * adb push modem.img /sdcard
    * adb push rpm.img /sdcard
    * adb shell
    * cd /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name
    * dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=boot
    * dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=system
    * dd if=/sdcard/modem.img of=modem
    * dd if=/sdcard/rpm.img of=rpm
    * exit
    * adb reboot system

It will complain about running out of space when you are flashing system -- you can safely ignore this.
    Once you reboot, it will upgrade you to Nougat. I have deleted the recovery-from-boot.p so you will not lose TWRP, but you will lose root (temporarily). Also, all the crapware will come back if you debloated.
    Once the upgrade is complete and you are back, you can reboot to recovery and flash your su binary of choice to regain root, and then proceed to clean all the crap up again.

In the event that you don't want to go through all this crap, I will be posting (unless someone beats me to it) an update.zip that is debloated and pre-rooted this weekend (don't have time till then).

I have tested this on my own phone, so I know it works. Again, I was running stock v20L that had been rooted with dirtycow, and SuperSU for my su bin.

Lastly, make sure you enable developer mode and disable automatic updates :)

-- Brian
    OK, I added the modem firmware. If you have already flashed boot and system, just follow the same procedure, but skip those and go right to flashing the modem. You will then have a nice baseband version in your settings / about phone / software info. It makes a big difference too. My phone had no service after a reboot for about 30 seconds, now it locks onto the cell immediately.

-- Brian
    @neolancer07 INTERESTING. I would not have thought the modem would have ANYTHING to do with the fingerprint sensor. There are several other partitions that I am investigating to make sure that we don't (or better yet SHOULDN'T) flash. For example the tz partition is the TrustZone partition. It deals with things like Android Pay. I was not able to get Android Pay working under MM while I was rooted, but I am able to now. So, this is an example of a partition that probably should NOT be upgraded, or it can be a total coincidence. Other partitions that will not get upgraded are aboot, sbl, laf for obvious reasons.

I am looking at the rpm partiton. That is the resource and power management partition, and well, our phones could get better battery life, but again, I want to be sure that we gain and not lose by flashing it.

All of this is one of the reasons why I am not just releasing an update.zip right now. I don't want to release 15 versions. On the flip side, doing things the manual way like this post, nothing can't be undone. For example, if I end up posting the rpm.img, and then it turns out that WHOA we are getting crap battery life now -- we can revert.
    @rafaelox24 If you don't want to use this manual method, I have posted the update.zip. The post is in this same sub-forum.

-- Brian
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone