Nougat upgrade lowered cpuclock??!

Search This thread

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
So I upgraded my X compact to official Nougat 7.0 a couple of days back and on first impressions I noticed some lag here and there mostly when scrolling
And I knew that Snapdragon 650 is almost clos to SD810 so what could be the problem because it was awesomely fluid and smooth on MM 6.0.1, so I started to dig up and here's what I noticed:

In CPUz app on MM it shows Qualcomm SD 650 @ 1.8 GHz but today I looked it up and in Nougat it shows Qualcomm SD 650 @ 1.4 GHz!!! And if you look at cpu cores, those 2 last core Cpu4 and cpu5 are stopped (i guess those two are [email protected] cores right?)
So conclusion is that A72 cores which are the main core to maintain smoothness are offline for some reason so Im asking developers to dig this up and help us out
Thank you

Miche1asso

Apr 11, 2012
Treviso
If there is no activity they should be stopped. My old Xperia M2 usually had only 1 core out of 4 active at the minimum clock. Then sure, if something was running in the background all 4 kicked at the hight clock.

I can't check right now with Nougat (my phone is currently updating to it. But it seems to take an awful lot of time. I think it has been updating for 20 minutes or more. Hopefully it's just updating all Dalvik caches or what they are now), but in Marshmallow all 6 cores were always active even with the CPU nearly idle. In my case I think that helped to cause the somehow high battery drain I had (that and plus wakelocks spamming all time).

But sure, if that means the phone will start lagging, screw it. I could deal with a day of battery life, I sure can't deal (again. And then again and again!) with a keyboard showing up after 1 or more seconds also missing the keys while swiping.

PS: it finally installed. You're right. Something definitively looks wrong with it. The cores 4 & 5 are disabled even with Google Play doing some apps updates. Unless it's because CPU Z isn't supporting Nougat yet. I'll have to investigate more via adb.
PPS: It might be the typical placebo effect but it actually feels even smoother now! So I am not sure what's going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kianush

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
Nah definitly not smoother!
I Check with qualcomm app and those 2 core are off all the time and it is lagging very bad in many places
If you wanna see the lag you can go scroll fast in call log or install an app like telegram messenger and scrol in chats
And also I played spiderman unlimited game on it and its lagging there no
There was No lag at all on android 6

Guys please report this issue

dcro95

Nov 17, 2007
I used CPU-Z and CPU N°4 and 5 seems to be stop.

After few hours I am not sur that there are more lag than before.

I made a test with Antutu, I had arround 75000 before the update, and arround 80000 after the update.

I think I will make a fresh installation tomorrow.

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
Guys are you serious?!
You actually dont see the lags here and there? Ieven see it lags when there are some notifications and i wanna scroll em fast

Come on guys!

silence8787

Mar 9, 2009
Can someone on 7.0 with the Issue use CPU-Z (from google play) and click on "online validation" and share thr link to the CPU information page here, please?

cingolat

Dec 18, 2010
Firenze
Guys are you serious?!
You actually dont see the lags here and there? Ieven see it lags when there are some notifications and i wanna scroll em fast

Come on guys!
you are too much dramatic...... there are some lag but not so much and not so drastic.....
and battery life is much much better on nougat

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
you are too much dramatic...... there are some lag but not so much and not so drastic.....
and battery life is much much better on nougat

Maybe I am but smoothness in compact size was the one and only reason I went for this little guy
And whats the point of havin SD650 if there isnt any A72 cores to operate
And I really prefer a 100% fluid rom than a couple of hours more juice...

cingolat

Dec 18, 2010
Firenze
Maybe I am but smoothness in compact size was the one and only reason I went for this little guy
I agree with you, and hope in a future update to solve this bug(because it is obviously a bug), but for now I can live with this.... maybe I'm lucky, but I don't have big lags, just a little bit here and there..... hope in future 7.1.1 to solve that....
another thing I notice is a louder speaker sound.....

Last edited:
Reactions: yyiimm

kwaille

Aug 28, 2007
I used CPU-Z and CPU N°4 and 5 seems to be stop.

After few hours I am not sur that there are more lag than before.

I made a test with Antutu, I had arround 75000 before the update, and arround 80000 after the update.

I think I will make a fresh installation tomorrow.
Wich rom did you update from to get nougat?

Miche1asso

Apr 11, 2012
Treviso
Nah definitly not smoother!
I Check with qualcomm app and those 2 core are off all the time and it is lagging very bad in many places
If you wanna see the lag you can go scroll fast in call log or install an app like telegram messenger and scrol in chats
And also I played spiderman unlimited game on it and its lagging there no
There was No lag at all on android 6

Guys please report this issue

I confirm it doesn't lag for me. I checked scrolling through a long chat in Whatsapp and through the list of all my apps in Google Play (the latter has always been slow. Now it loads immediately, that's why I felt it was snappier). Then I tested with Antutu and I have got 74K (not sure why @dcro95 has got 80K, though).

Then if you look in Antutu/Info/CPU/More you see that for core 5&6 it says they are disabled. But at the same time it shows the percentage of their are activity (which, being the cores disabled, should be none). I didn't have time to check with adb, yet. But what I suspected and it seems to be confirmed by Antutu is that there might be a "bug" where the values for the cores active have the "read" flag cleared, like it happened with the minfree values in Lollipop with some Xperia (M2 for sure. It was "-w--w-----" instead of "rw-rw----".

Anyway, in case of your very noticeable lag I'd suggest to first check your stamina settings. If I enable the Stamina the phone lags immediately. Either with Nougat or Marshmallow.

Oh, and it mat not matter f you didn't enable the Stamina before upgrading. After the upgrade plenty of my configuration parameters simply went bananas. It changed my WiFi settings, removing the static address. And in the case of an app (but I imagine more of them at this point), it modified the login. I'm sure the login was correct because I had a widget for that app active (and working fine).

PS: my battery life still sucks, though. Actually it is even worse than before. I may have to backup, reset and restore the phone and see if it helps.

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
I confirm it doesn't lag for me. I checked scrolling through a long chat in Whatsapp and through the list of all my apps in Google Play (the latter has always been slow. Now it loads immediately, that's why I felt it was snappier). Then I tested with Antutu and I have got 74K (not sure why @dcro95 has got 80K, though).

Then if you look in Antutu/Info/CPU/More you see that for core 5&6 it says they are disabled. But at the same time it shows the percentage of their are activity (which, being the cores disabled, should be none). I didn't have time to check with adb, yet. But what I suspected and it seems to be confirmed by Antutu is that there might be a "bug" where the values for the cores active have the "read" flag cleared, like it happened with the minfree values in Lollipop with some Xperia (M2 for sure. It was "-w--w-----" instead of "rw-rw----".

Anyway, in case of your very noticeable lag I'd suggest to first check your stamina settings. If I enable the Stamina the phone lags immediately. Either with Nougat or Marshmallow.

Oh, and it mat not matter f you didn't enable the Stamina before upgrading. After the upgrade plenty of my configuration parameters simply went bananas. It changed my WiFi settings, removing the static address. And in the case of an app (but I imagine more of them at this point), it modified the login. I'm sure the login was correct because I had a widget for that app active (and working fine).

PS: my battery life still sucks, though. Actually it is even worse than before. I may have to backup, reset and restore the phone and see if it helps.

Thank you for you info man but let me explain it to you again
Firstly, what Im saying is on microscopic scale, I do feel even the smallest amount of lag

The laging that comes up after turning on Stamina is waaaay more than the lag that I talked about in OP, of course that is big enough to be seen by anyone!

On android 6.0.1 I didnt see even the smallest lag absolutly nothing! but after the upgrade to 7.0 I was starting to see small lags here and there(you might not even see it! Im very sensitive in this case) like for example when you have 3 notifications try to open notification bar with slow to normal finger swipe down, it lags a little there, and other examples that i said before.

At first i thought maybe the rom is not well optimized but after I saw cpuz I was sure that those cores are off!

On android MM telegram messenger had no lags, nothing! But now it lags a lot when scrolling but i say again this "a lot" is in compariaon to MM! not to Xperia tipo!!!

So I am 100% positive that A72 1.8Ghz cores are not functioning.

Lets go and try to fix that, or wait for an update to fix it.

crazy-gump

Nov 30, 2016
Have reboot the phone and the core 5 & 6 were activated (up to 1,8)
Just after make it sleep, the core were stopped. Maybe an issue with doze ?
However I can"t say it lag. It maybe a little longer to charge game or big app but I use them to rarely to compare

Last edited:

Hades63

Jun 13, 2009
Have reboot the phone and the core 5 & 6 were activated (up to 1,8)
Just after make it sleep, the core were stopped. Maybe an issue with doze ?

Same for me, after reboot and used photos, th� where actived and cpu turn at 1.8ghz. 5min after they where disable. I think it depend cpu use. I ve no lag.

Last edited:

Miche1asso

Apr 11, 2012
Treviso
Thank you for you info man but let me explain it to you again
Firstly, what Im saying is on microscopic scale, I do feel even the smallest amount of lag.

Hmmm.. Nope, my friend. You talked about a lot of lag: these are your very own words: "it is lagging very bad in many places"

Now if the problem is that you perceive a microlag that could be. With Lagdroid I learned how to ignore that for good.

So I am 100% positive that A72 1.8Ghz cores are not functioning.

Lets go and try to fix that, or wait for an update to fix it.

And I am quite sure that the cores are active, as Antutu benchmark shows in the info section. In the attached picture you can see how Antutu shows that the cores 5 & 6 have a CPU load (which I made it varying moving the notification panel), while at the same time they are shown as disabled. That simply isn't possible. If a core is disabled it can't have any load. So yes, there is a bug, but that seems to be in the CPU monitoring. I doubt we would get 74K or plus in Antutu if those two cores were off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kianush

Kianush

Jan 4, 2014
Hmmm.. Nope, my friend. You talked about a lot of lag: these are your very own words: "it is lagging very bad in many places"

Now if the problem is that you perceive a microlag that could be. With Lagdroid I learned how to ignore that for good.

And I am quite sure that the cores are active, as Antutu benchmark shows in the info section. In the attached picture you can see how Antutu shows that the cores 5 & 6 have a CPU load (which I made it varying moving the notification panel), while at the same time they are shown as disabled. That simply isn't possible. If a core is disabled it can't have any load. So yes, there is a bug, but that seems to be in the CPU monitoring. I doubt we would get 74K or plus in Antutu if those two cores were off.

So what you say is that those cores are functioning normally but its juat showing them sleep right?!?
Then please tell me whats the reason on these even small lags?
Those dont matter actually, I need to know why I cant play spiderman unlimited and asphalt 8 on ultra setting like before
You could test them yourself

See 4 a53 1.4GHz are enough for daily usage but on heavy usage its obiouse that those a72 cores are missing

But there is one probibility, that those guys become active on very high usage like antutu! But I guess thats gonna be VERY HIGH!

Last edited:

dcro95

Nov 17, 2007

I have exactly the same on Antutu, and the max frequency is 1804 MHz.

Reactions: Miche1asso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heys, finally some peace. :)
    I received the .273 nougat update yesterday (or nearly 2 days by now. heh), and have been testing and poking around a bit since.
    my conclusion is there is nothing wrong with the cpu behavior at all, except for some apps cant read their value properly, likely due to a read only flag as suggested earlier in this thread. not even developer options cpu usage show things properly. the new dialer app is absolutely horrendous though.

anyway i took another approach and installed termux (a small Linux like shell where you can apt-get a few tools) and ran top and pressed 'c' to have a look at all cores. i ran termux in one window and any app in question in the other.

this was of cause after a screen off and cpu-z shows them as off, but according to top all cores are running fine. i then proceeded to test with the new geekbench 4 that i had tested with on MM and that is updated to show a more likely day to day performance on new processors and old thermal throttling processors better.

starting with the single core test one a72 core spiked full usage, and halfway through when it comes to multi core all cores both 4xa53 and 2xa72 spiked full usage. i read here on xda in an interview with the geekbench devs that they actually now pause a little between some activities to better show the notoriously overheating cores on sd 810 devices in real life usage, which also can be seen vaguely. anyway nothing to come after there everything looks fine and i got the same scores:
    1391 single core on MM, 1344 on N.
    3355 multicore on MM, 3426 on N.
    a little bit higher on nougat but these scores usually swing a bit from run till run.
    btw: z5c has a multicore score of 2717 vs. the 3426 on xc :p

now on that is out of the way (cpu's are active no worry's) on to my own real life experience; as said i updated yesterday morning (or the day before now as you can see here, time flies). in general usage i can not get it to lag in notifications no matter how many i get all is smooth. i set the phone to keep them unless i swipe them and let them build up during the day, and cpu usage show no more than a few % on all the cores also the 2xa72. i tried every move that i usually make i MM only harder (scrolling in notifications, email, messages, chrome, homescreen, etc) but i must say its exactly the same no lags at all. i only had 2 games installed minion rush and real racing 3 (i installed them when i got the phone just to test the game performance). MR is the same, i would not expect otherwise. RR3 is for also the same with good 'in game' speed with no lags/framedrops and some framerate drops on 'replay race' in camera angles placed along the track and with a few cars zooming by. again like before.

now on to the ugly dialing app, mine did not look or behave like that on MM the call log was flat and not dynamic as it is for some unknown reason, it had the same call log functions but it did not show contacts. i had to press the empty search box and was then taken to contacts. in N the call log is like small dynamic notification boxes and yes it lags violently. let me explain what i mean by dynamic; when i first go to it or scroll down some name are shortened like the box says 'fi...' and after a sec or 2 it expands and shows the full 'firstname lastname' the same happens with unknown phone numbers first it might show '45..' then expand to the full number, some call boxes does not even expand at all before you press them. very odd behavior and my 2 cents to why it lags. it does not stop there try go to contacts (in the dialer app ofc) and pick a contact you can see in the status line that it switches to contacts app and back this gives an impression of blinking and a lag too. if i measure the cpu usage again its no where higher than roughly 15% at times and again the a72 cores are active. i really do not know what sony did to this app it is screwing with the gui.

i tried showing gpu usage on screen in developer options too and this seems normal again when scrolling through stuff, there is the usual high gpu spike when you change screens but that's normal on every device i have tried also with higher specs. EXCEPT again when it comes to the dialer app, it spikes up and down like crazy.

if anyone have anything else that lags i be happy to investigate, but for now i see nothing wrong with nougat in terms of performance. there is some weirdness besides the dialer app such as the reporting of 'big' cpu and the state to apps, geekbench 4 also saw the phone as 1.4Ghz in MM though. however this is cosmetic but non the less something sony should fix.

much worse is the dialer app that seems like a bad hack especially flipping back and forth to contacts app instead of integrate it properly. that and ofc the odd dynamic call log boxes. because this is what we see in daily use, sony should really fix this asap. i cant understand how this got through. the app in MM was much better why the heck did they not keep that until they had a proper app is beyond me.

i have some questions too though: did anyone have the same dialer in MM as in N? did anyone get their home launcher updated for grid size and removing icon size setting? i did not get it and i already had the google now integration that i also read about some first getting in nougat. also i had the manual shutter speed/focus and the enhanced stamina settings already, the only real new feature was multi window, cosmetics (notifications, battery left, quick settings) and ofcause the lousy crap dialer.

btw. battery time seems the same with 40 hours since last charge, only 5 left, and 8 on screen hours. i guess it can be a little better i got hooked on real racing twice which accumulated to 67 mins. i got more on MM but that is without playing games and i can see a big dump twice on the battery curve which as said is nearly depleted with 11% left. i have never been this low, and i usually charge every second day and never use stamina. also i do not use social apps such as facebook, scatchat, twipper, or what they are called either. :) i will continue to report if i see anything and also as said feel free to guide me to where you see lag.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

Could you make a test with candy crush? Someone wrote it does run very leggy even after a reboot. I'm still on MM, so i can't test.
    leggy then it must run fast. ;) i just installed it on my last battery time, and no it does not lag at all its very smooth. i would be very surprised if such a simple game lagged. i find those candy, soda whatever games very annoying though so it wont stay. but now its tested another time do not listen to trolls. :)
    I created a thread here quoting your first post. Maybe it will get more attention

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...ock/td-p/1187152/jump-to/first-unread-message
    So I'm no tech guy. Is the official Nougat update going to cause lag? Was this issue with pre release software or the official version?
    In my case not at all, some apps I tested even ran/loaded faster. (I compared sbs a with XC on MM) The cpu clock is NOT lowered or any different from MM. File security in N has been tightened so most apps can't read the cpu state without having root access. Also many diagnostic apps are not updated to recognize these new BIG/little cluster cpus.
    Imho this thread should be re-titled because the subject is not true no cpu clocks are lowered, and it causes a lot of anxiety. I know I was worried myself because I am pretty sensitive to such things being a video/audio phile, but there was nothing that made me miss MM once I upgraded. I felt like a small eg had been turned in to a chicken farm
    If there is no activity they should be stopped. My old Xperia M2 usually had only 1 core out of 4 active at the minimum clock. Then sure, if something was running in the background all 4 kicked at the hight clock.

I can't check right now with Nougat (my phone is currently updating to it. But it seems to take an awful lot of time. I think it has been updating for 20 minutes or more. Hopefully it's just updating all Dalvik caches or what they are now), but in Marshmallow all 6 cores were always active even with the CPU nearly idle. In my case I think that helped to cause the somehow high battery drain I had (that and plus wakelocks spamming all time).

But sure, if that means the phone will start lagging, screw it. I could deal with a day of battery life, I sure can't deal (again. And then again and again!) with a keyboard showing up after 1 or more seconds also missing the keys while swiping.

PS: it finally installed. You're right. Something definitively looks wrong with it. The cores 4 & 5 are disabled even with Google Play doing some apps updates. Unless it's because CPU Z isn't supporting Nougat yet. I'll have to investigate more via adb.
    PPS: It might be the typical placebo effect but it actually feels even smoother now! So I am not sure what's going on.
    I agree with you, and hope in a future update to solve this bug(because it is obviously a bug), but for now I can live with this.... maybe I'm lucky, but I don't have big lags, just a little bit here and there..... hope in future 7.1.1 to solve that....
    another thing I notice is a louder speaker sound.....
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone