Nova Launcher - Closing Recent Apps Issue

Iskateforfree

Jun 9, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Hey everyone,

I'm running into a weird problem lately. I have a custom homescreen with Nova Launcher Pro and whenever I click the Recent Apps button. I close all recent apps and it force closes Nova Launcher and reactivates Samsung One UI. It does this every single time until I hit the Home button and it goes back to Nova Launcher. Anyone know what could be causing this weird issue. I only had this issue recently so part of me thinks it's from a firmware update. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try clearing the system cache on boot menu.
Try clearing associated apk caches, data if need be.
If you migrated from Pie to Q time probable time to reload...

Iskateforfree

Jun 9, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Try clearing the system cache on boot menu.
Try clearing associated apk caches, data if need be.
If you migrated from Pie to Q time probable time to reload...
Yeah I've wiped cache partition from boot menu (holding power and volume up button during restart). I've also wiped cache and data from both Samsung One UI and Nova Launcher and still nothing.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yeah I've wiped cache partition from boot menu (holding power and volume up button during restart). I've also wiped cache and data from both Samsung One UI and Nova Launcher and still nothing.
You can try a hard reboot but that seldom works.
Look at clearing cache/data of the related system apks.
I tried a few launchers and ran into issues with all. Be very wary if you see any system instabilities as boot crash may be next.
One launcher (not Nova) boot looped my 10+ twice.
The Samsung launcher is fast, rock solid stable and allows for a lot of customization.
After fighting with 3rd party launchers that were slower, used more resources/battery, not as stable, loss of some functionality etc... it wasn't worth it.

baylakedrive

Jul 16, 2012
You could uninstall and reinstall the Nova app and see if that works, I will probably get told that if you wipe the cache it the same thing. But I've done it before with other apps and it has fixed issues. I use Nova beta on my note 10 and I've never had any issue with it, so you could also try that. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

gernerttl

Jan 8, 2020
Double check to make sure Nova is set as your default Launcher.

Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Home

I've had this happen a couple times with Microsoft Launcher after an update was pushed.

You may have to set it to OneUI then back to Nova.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

N

ntropy247

Let me know if you figure this out, I am seeing the same behavior after the last system update and have had no luck fixing it.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You could uninstall and reinstall the Nova app and see if that works, I will probably get told that if you wipe the cache it the same thing. But I've done it before with other apps and it has fixed issues. I use Nova beta on my note 10 and I've never had any issue with it, so you could also try that. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
^This^ but it may not work.
Reload the OS, go hog wild or... do what I did after a 3rd party launcher boot looped my 10+ twice.
Use the native launcher.
Fast, very stable and very customizable if you use the available free themes, icon packs and the Good Lock family of apps. Throw in a custom background with Color Wallpaper and done.

flamy88

Dec 16, 2010
Solution which helped me

Hi, I had same problem and for me helped to choose as default app for Home One Ui and then back Nova Launcher.

c96walker

Dec 11, 2020
Not sure if you resolved this or not but I just ran into this issue on my Note 20 Ultra. Fix was the same as above where I set the Samsung UI back to default, then switched it back to Nova Launcher and then did a hard restart with volume down and power button. Note: did not work until I did the hard restart

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Not sure if you resolved this or not but I just ran into this issue on my Note 20 Ultra. Fix was the same as above where I set the Samsung UI back to default, then switched it back to Nova Launcher and then did a hard restart with volume down and power button. Note: did not work until I did the hard restart
Yah!
It may return though. Hard resets shouldn't be needed. There may be a firmware and/or hardware incompatibility present.
Watch it closely for instability as this is a class of app that can boot loop the device.
Never had Nova do it but another launcher did, twice. Not fun.

Forever Justice

Dec 24, 2010
Piqua
boot cache menu clear, also most are gone now but i like cda not on app store, and leave shut down for a few minutes, Mine on Nova would not show apps if i pulled tab on apps still open in background, then just quit, did above and havent had issues. Tis the season

AUT_JohnPlayer

Jan 13, 2021
I had the same issue on a Galaxy M31, issue has been resolved by clearing the data of the One UI Home App under Settings - Apps - Show system apps - One UI Home - Storage - clear data

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone