• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Nova Launcher Lag

Search This thread

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Anyone else using Nova Launcher (7) and have lag when opening the fold to full screen? I have turned off all animations, but that just causes it to be blank during the home screen draw lag.

I've tried switching to OneUI, BUT I can't get myself to give up all the customization of Nova and go with stock However, the waiting for Nova to draw the home screen when opening the fold is a pain. 😔

Thanks

Reactions: aut112266
Anyone else using Nova Launcher (7) and have lag when opening the fold to full screen? I have turned off all animations, but that just causes it to be blank during the home screen draw lag.

I've tried switching to OneUI, BUT I can't get myself to give up all the customization of Nova and go with stock However, the waiting for Nova to draw the home screen when opening the fold is a pain. 😔

Thanks
Yep, +1. Annoying but it's actually not limited to Nova. I just did a quick test with Lawnchair and it does the same thing. It seems like it relaunches the Home Launcher when the display is opened.

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Thanks for the idea. Didn't help me though.

Sometimes it's like Nova doesn't even try and I actually get the Samsung launcher until I manually hit the home bottom then Nova pops up. 🤔😔

casinca

Apr 4, 2018
Last edited:

casinca

Apr 4, 2018
Just wanted to chime in that after investigations the blink lag happens for me when I swipe up out of apps to return to home and try to launch another app too quickly afterwards. After swipping up, I need to wait 1s before launching another app otherwise screen will blink.

bs3pro

Jul 24, 2020
Nova fcking itself by not supporting the foldables. They were ahead of the times years ago, now just f'n everyone that stood behind them so many years.

Reactions: mhtruth

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Just wanted to chime in that after investigations the blink lag happens for me when I swipe up out of apps to return to home and try to launch another app too quickly afterwards. After swipping up, I need to wait 1s before launching another app otherwise screen will blink.
I got rid 1s have to wait before after hitting home then launching the next app by turning off animations. This doesnt help with the opening delay, but it does take care of the false redraw home screen that appears for 1 sec delaying the ability to launch the next program (fixed at least for me). Only issue for me now is a blank screen for 1-2 second when I open/unfold the device on the home screen.

Etshooter

Jul 7, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
I'm getting this same hang/lag with my pixel 5a on nova 7...
Tried reverting back to 6 and it's still doing it. Maybe I didn't notice before but I swear there is a hang after leaving an app that I have to wait in order to do anything further like open the drawer or use a gesture.

Last edited:

Kronium11

Sep 6, 2021
Follows is the response I got today from the Nova Developer. Too bad. I told him about this thread and the lag issues in counter response...

The usage of foldable devices is still very miniscule compared to that of "normal" devices so it really isn't worth the development time or effort for us to try and make Nova fully compatible with the dual screens of foldable devices or dual screen devices.

There are so many things that have to be done for dual screen layouts such as thinking about how icons behave and look on both screens, how do widgets look and behave and so much more.

Currently, even after being around for a couple of years now, we feel it's just not worth it to spend the endless amounts of time that is needed to work on these devices, knowing that things will change repeatedly over the coming months or next couple of years.

Due to the costs involved in making these devices, the pricing isn't likely to drop significantly enough over the next couple of years to make these devices mainstream, which in turn means we simply won't be able to support them fully at this time or in the near future.

Nova will work. The only issue you'll have is you won't be able to have a separate layout for the front screen and the rear screen. Layouts will use the same layout, and might look slightly different due to screen resolution and DPI between the two screens.
0ua_61P3GIGgbvJUuKP6nNYZeyTrEAdhIEo3o8obTChEbE1jc5YH0LhRfKhkjl4UweupR2MzMfOZt2IqcabLqQJYlympTZjlah8LaU3Ze3bDC2uiQBgUMMw9jkLhy6XVnmZj=s0-d-e1-ft

bs3pro

Jul 24, 2020
Follows is the response I got today from the Nova Developer. Too bad. I told him about this thread and the lag issues in counter response...

The usage of foldable devices is still very miniscule compared to that of "normal" devices so it really isn't worth the development time or effort for us to try and make Nova fully compatible with the dual screens of foldable devices or dual screen devices.

There are so many things that have to be done for dual screen layouts such as thinking about how icons behave and look on both screens, how do widgets look and behave and so much more.

Currently, even after being around for a couple of years now, we feel it's just not worth it to spend the endless amounts of time that is needed to work on these devices, knowing that things will change repeatedly over the coming months or next couple of years.

Due to the costs involved in making these devices, the pricing isn't likely to drop significantly enough over the next couple of years to make these devices mainstream, which in turn means we simply won't be able to support them fully at this time or in the near future.

Nova will work. The only issue you'll have is you won't be able to have a separate layout for the front screen and the rear screen. Layouts will use the same layout, and might look slightly different due to screen resolution and DPI between the two screens.
0ua_61P3GIGgbvJUuKP6nNYZeyTrEAdhIEo3o8obTChEbE1jc5YH0LhRfKhkjl4UweupR2MzMfOZt2IqcabLqQJYlympTZjlah8LaU3Ze3bDC2uiQBgUMMw9jkLhy6XVnmZj=s0-d-e1-ft
What a douche. Goodbye nova!

casinca

Apr 4, 2018
Are you all on Nova 7? Nova 6 is working perfectly for me.
I'm still on 6

Honestly the layout doesn't bother me that much, what is annoying is the lag. I didn't have problem on my Mate 20 X but someone above mentioned having the same problem with a Pixel.
Not sure if the lag is because of the fold/samsung oneUI or unrelated.

millab

Jul 11, 2007
Canberra
I've just gotten Nova working independently on both screens, but it took quite a lot of hacking to accomplish - Had to clone the app to get a second copy that could then be configured independently, and a tasker/bixby routines/autotools combination to detect and switch the launcher depending if the phone is folded or not.

Only complaint apart from the occasional slow switch to the other launcher is that the clone version of the app can't be validated for my pro purchase, so I've just got the front in free mode, with the inner screen running the pro version

pepo36

Dec 5, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've just gotten Nova working independently on both screens, but it took quite a lot of hacking to accomplish - Had to clone the app to get a second copy that could then be configured independently, and a tasker/bixby routines/autotools combination to detect and switch the launcher depending if the phone is folded or not.

Only complaint apart from the occasional slow switch to the other launcher is that the clone version of the app can't be validated for my pro purchase, so I've just got the front in free mode, with the inner screen running the pro version
Can you please share how you did it? at least the clone part

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    I have noticed it as well
    I have Nova and notice zero lag. I hope you figure it out.
    i removed Nova launcher for the FOld3. had it more like 10 years. Oh well. Also NOva can't custom front screen and inside screen. have to be the same (didn't like it)
    Nova fcking itself by not supporting the foldables. They were ahead of the times years ago, now just f'n everyone that stood behind them so many years.