• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Nova Launcher Lag

Search This thread

Post Nine

Sep 1, 2020
use button gestures if you're using the swipe gestures with nova if you really want to use nova. it's something that either google or nova needs to fix.

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Fixed / Work Around!!! After going back to Nova version 6.2.9 it is much better now!!! Not noticing any delay.

The back up I had from version 7 was not compatible so I had to set up some stuff manually. But I have not had any of the same delays as before.

Tried OneUI and Niagara, but I've been using Nova since 2015, and I don't want to switch. Happy to stay at version 6.2 until Nova gets a current version compatible with the fold.

Hope that helps others.

Reactions: Techvir

Jmac823200

Jun 21, 2007
For the clone part, I utilised an app 'App Cloner' by AppListo which allows creating a clone of an app with a new package name.

For the switching functionality I followed this guide https://www.mobilemadesimple.co.uk/how-to-use-two-custom-launchers-on-the-samsung-galaxy-z-fold-2/
So I was able to use this method to set up multiple launchers. One problem that I'm running into is the launcher not automatically switching over once I close the screeen. The same launcher is on the screen when I close the phone. I have to physically hit the home button to get to the correct home screen once I close it. Any suggestions on how to change this?

volgis

May 6, 2010
I am having the same lag issue on the Z Fold 3. It worked fine on the Z Fold 2 without any lag. I really don't need different screens or optimizations for foldables. If they just stop the lag, that would be great.

casinca

Apr 4, 2018
Fixed / Work Around!!! After going back to Nova version 6.2.9 it is much better now!!! Not noticing any delay.

The back up I had from version 7 was not compatible so I had to set up some stuff manually. But I have not had any of the same delays as before.

Tried OneUI and Niagara, but I've been using Nova since 2015, and I don't want to switch. Happy to stay at version 6.2 until Nova gets a current version compatible with the fold.

Hope that helps others.

If you want to stay on 7,,a guy from Nova Support has a Z Fold 3. My lag was caused by using a backup. He suggested a clean setup and now there's no lag.
I'm a bit doubtful we have the same setup. Are you guys using full gesture with nova? I mean side + bottom from Samsung.
You don't get any delays "blink" when returning to home screen and quickly start another app anymore?

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
I am having the same lag issue on the Z Fold 3. It worked fine on the Z Fold 2 without any lag. I really don't need different screens or optimizations for foldables. If they just stop the lag, that would be great.

If you want to stay on 7,,a guy from Nova Support has a Z Fold 3. My lag was caused by using a backup. He suggested a clean setup and now there's no lag.
Interesting. I was using a back up (of course) with 7. Because of the lag I had tried other launchers including APEX. When I went back to 6.2.9 I couldn't restore Nova from 7 but I could bring in OneUI or Apex. I picked Apex just to save some time setting up all my folders. No lag at all going that direction. So not exactly a clean install but close.

I don't know what 7 even has that 6.2 doesn't so I'm not going to bother changing at this point. I've already spent so much time resetting up my setup on all these other launchers so I'm good for now cuz I have no delay and I'm getting to use Nova. I'll let someone else report on a clean install of 7 😁

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
I'm a bit doubtful we have the same setup. Are you guys using full gesture with nova? I mean side + bottom from Samsung.
You don't get any delays "blink" when returning to home screen and quickly start another app anymore?
I don't use Android/Sammy gestures. I'm getting old and am still rocking the nav bar 😁. I do use swipe gestures in Nova.

I had the delay and it was a deal killer. I would have stayed with Apex or Niagara but decided to give Nova 6.2 a try based on others reports. As mentioned that works for me and I get zero lag days now for. days

Reactions: casinca

casinca

Apr 4, 2018
I don't use Android/Sammy gestures. I'm getting old and am still rocking the nav bar 😁. I do use swipe gestures in Nova.

I had the delay and it was a deal killer. I would have stayed with Apex or Niagara but decided to give Nova 6.2 a try based on others reports. As mentioned that works for me and I get zero lag days now for. days
Ah fk for a moment I was hyped.

Nova 7 worked fine for me but only using nav bar or side only gestures. If using full (side+bottom) I get the lag.
I could have used side only or hiding nav bar + 3rd party gesture app but unfortunately it's not working anymore. Disabling Oneui too. No workaround😢

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I would use the native launcher.
Use the Good Lock family of apps, the free Galaxy store themes and icon packs to customize it.
The native launcher is fast and stable if it's anything like it's N10+ counterpart.
It also uses much less power than Nova.
The Samsung launcher has never crashed, not once. All 3rd party ones I have tried did including one that boot looped me twice, 2 reloads back to back.
That cured me from using 3rd party launchers🤣

If you experience any system instability when using a 3rd party launcher that is the only if any warning you'll get before a boot loop crash. Take it seriously and uninstall the launcher before you reboot!!!

I would use the native launcher.
Use the Good Lock family of apps, the free Galaxy store themes and icon packs to customize it.
The native launcher is fast and stable if it's anything like it's N10+ counterpart.
It also uses much less power than Nova.
The Samsung launcher has never crashed, not once. All 3rd party ones I have tried did including one that boot looped me twice, 2 reloads back to back.
That cured me from using 3rd party launchers🤣

If you experience any system instability when using a 3rd party launcher that is the only if any warning you'll get before a boot loop crash. Take it seriously and uninstall the launcher before you reboot!!!
How can you verify that it uses much less power than nova?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else using Nova Launcher (7) and have lag when opening the fold to full screen? I have turned off all animations, but that just causes it to be blank during the home screen draw lag.

I've tried switching to OneUI, BUT I can't get myself to give up all the customization of Nova and go with stock However, the waiting for Nova to draw the home screen when opening the fold is a pain. 😔

Thanks
    I have noticed it as well
    I have Nova and notice zero lag. I hope you figure it out.
    i removed Nova launcher for the FOld3. had it more like 10 years. Oh well. Also NOva can't custom front screen and inside screen. have to be the same (didn't like it)
    Nova fcking itself by not supporting the foldables. They were ahead of the times years ago, now just f'n everyone that stood behind them so many years.