Now Patched :( Amazon Fire Utility/Tool Bloat Removal

Search This thread

savvytechwinner

May 22, 2017
Southwest Harbor
What is this? What does it do?

I've used my free time to create a noob friendly program to complete task. It can uninstall all Amazon Bloatware. It can also Install Google, Google Chrome, and Google photos. It can install Launcher hijack as well with Nova Launcher WITH widgets WORKING. This has been tested MANY times and confirmed to work on the Fire 7. This can also remove special offers
WARNING
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE. A FACTORY RESET WILL UNDO ALL CHANGES MADE.
Please do not PM me. Post in the forum and quote me if you need help. This way, everybody will receive the information.

Compatibility
This is for Windows only. I have no interest whatsoever do code this for Linux. If you want to port it, go ahead!
Please use Root Junky's Super Tool to install Amazon Drivers on Windows if it isn't working for you. I didn't need to install but you may need to. Click here to download it.

Why Google Photos and Google App?

This tool will install Google Photos because the remove Amazon Bloatware option will uninstall Amazon Photos. You will be using Google Photos instead. In the Camera app, in the bottom right corner where there is a preview, if you press it, it will go right to the Google Photos app if you used the uninstall Amazon Bloat Option.

This also installs the Google App too. Why? In Nova Launcher when you press the Quick Search bar, It will go to the Google App. Only if you use the uninstall Amazon Bloat option. How? It will uninstall the Unified Search package, so it will go to the Google app.
This no longer works on Fire OS 5.4.0.1 unfortunately, the uninstall method has been patched :(
Click here for the download link

There has been an article featuring my tool. If you want to check it out - link is here.
https://liliputing.com/2017/07/fire-tablet-tool-makes-hacking-amazons-2017-tablets-easier.html
Also I want you to know, if you choose to remove bloat, it will remove every Amazon app exept for the Camera, meaning you will be left with Camera and Settings left on your home screen.

Last edited:

Robius

Mar 21, 2013
Works, thanks.
Few comments:
If Windows doesn't have the amazon drivers, it won't work.
Installing Google Play Services and Chrome was expected, but it also added Google Photos and Google App.
Either mention it or don't include the last two.
Also, why are you saying to re-install Google Play Services even if they've been installed before?

savvytechwinner

May 22, 2017
Southwest Harbor
Works, thanks.
Few comments:
Installing Google Play Services and Chrome was expected, but it also added Google Photos and Google App.
Also, why are you saying to re-install Google Play Services even if they've been installed before?
I am sorry. It installes Google Photos because the camera app is still there after uninstall. It uninstalls Amazon Photos and you need a photos app to veiw the pictures you took.
It won't reinstall the Google Play apps but it will install Google for you
It installs the Google App because it removes unified search which means on Nova Launcher the Google Search bar actually goes to Google Now instead of the Amazon Search. I am sorry for not mentioning it. I will edit the post.

Jan 2, 2015
Thanks!!! used to install google play apps, and installed nova launcher, but the home button is broken though. I wonder if there's any fix for that...

(Gen 5 amazon fire 7, running 5.4.0)

Last edited:

savvytechwinner

May 22, 2017
Southwest Harbor
Thanks!!! used to install google play apps, and installed nova launcher, but the home button is broken though. I wonder if there's any fix for that...

(Gen 5 amazon fire 7, running 5.4.0)
Really? I tested this and my homebutton is fine, Are you sure you are on the Fire 5th Generation?
Check in settings > device options > and find where it says device model.
Does it say "Fire (5th Generation" without quotes? it yes, please factory reset and try again.

Samson Lau

Dec 15, 2015

I've used my free time to create a noob friendly program to complete task. It can uninstall all Amazon Bloatware. It can also Install Google, Google Chrome, and Google photos. It can install Launcher hijack as well with Nova Launcher WITH widgets WORKING. This has been tested MANY times and confirmed to work on the Fire 7. This can also remove special offers
WARNING
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE. A FACTORY RESET WILL UNDO ALL CHANGES MADE.
Please do not PM me. Post in the forum and quote me if you need help. This way, everybody will receive the information.

Compatibility
This is for Windows only. I have no interest whatsoever do code this for Linux. If you want to port it, go ahead!
Please use Root Junky's Super Tool to install Amazon Drivers on Windows if it isn't working for you. I didn't need to install but you may need to. Click here to download it.

This tool will install Google Photos because the remove Amazon Bloatware option will uninstall Amazon Photos. You will be using Google Photos instead. In the Camera app, in the bottom right corner where there is a preview, if you press it, it will go right to the Google Photos app if you used the uninstall Amazon Bloat Option.

This also installs the Google App too. Why? In Nova Launcher when you press the Quick Search bar, It will go to the Google App. Only if you use the uninstall Amazon Bloat option. How? It will uninstall the Unified Search package, so it will go to the Google app.

Download Link

Since the Files are 101 MB I am posting a Google Drive Link shared to the public. Here is the link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4GUCBOVtmvPeGtwQ3kxWjdHSWs

v5.3.2.1 tested. Work ok, but go back to original after factory reset.

theflathead

Mar 23, 2014
Just got my 8" with 5.4.0 in the mail yesterday. Updated 9 system updates first, then used this tool.

Everything worked fine. Nova works, google playstore and apps working. No ads on the lockscreen.

The bloat removal actually removed more things than I wanted it to, so I did a factory reset and went into the bat and took out some of the apps that I wanted to stay. Works like a charm.

Reactions: Thorou and DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Just got my 8" with 5.4.0 in the mail yesterday. Updated 9 system updates first, then used this tool.

Everything worked fine. Nova works, google playstore and apps working. No ads on the lockscreen.

The bloat removal actually removed more things than I wanted it to, so I did a factory reset and went into the bat and took out some of the apps that I wanted to stay. Works like a charm.
Keep in mind this tool doesn't actually remove system (most preinstalled) apps; it simply makes them unavailable and thus invisible to the current user. Akin to drawing the shades when you don't like the weather. The actions are reversible...albeit unlikely if OTA updates are blocked unless Amazon has another back-channel communication mechanism.

On your Fire 8 HD there is a guess account
on the Fire 7 (5th Generation) there isn't a guest account
at least on my tablet, plus I don't even think the guest account is active. But it could be, no garentee

It's under settings, users in activity launcher. Something activated it and I don't know what. Perhaps it's only available before everything is disabled. Either way, I see it in the user list, but I haven't been able to activate it again or for that matter disable it. Im likely to do another reset in the next day or so now that the kinks are being worked out. Hopefully the last one for a bit.

Back to wallpapers...the permission to run live wallpapers is already active in at least my tablet, of course in the damn system. I don't get Amazon. They don't want us to use them, but give the permission to, just not the APKs. They basically consider widgets a sin, but give you the activation script in front of your face. Makes me wonder if they really are sloppy, or there's a silent revolt going on internally. Either way those are pretty lame mistakes. I wonder how they're taking this being able to disable their apps.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Back to wallpapers...the permission to run live wallpapers is already active in at least my tablet, of course in the damn system. I don't get Amazon. They don't want us to use them, but give the permission to, just not the APKs. They basically consider widgets a sin, but give you the activation script in front of your face. Makes me wonder if they really are sloppy, or there's a silent revolt going on internally. Either way those are pretty lame mistakes. I wonder how they're taking this being able to disable their apps.
- this is an Amazon centric appliance - not a general purpose Android device
- 'good enough' probably comes into play (time/budget constraints)
- a minute sliver of Fire 7 owners will attempt to uninstall core Amazon apps unless it becomes bulletproof w/substantial advantages and no side effects

Love posts like this that pit a virtual army of heroic XDA script kiddies against evil Amazon engineers in an epic battle to control a dime store gizmo. Magnify the real business impact 1000X and you might score a footnote in some unread briefing.

Reactions: obvious
- this is an Amazon centric appliance - not a general purpose Android device
- 'good enough' probably comes into play (time/budget constraints)
- a minute sliver of Fire 7 owners will attempt to uninstall core Amazon apps unless it becomes bulletproof w/substantial advantages and no side effects

Love posts like this that pit a virtual army of heroic XDA script kiddies against evil Amazon engineers in an epic battle to control a dime store gizmo. Magnify the real business impact 1000X and you might score a footnote in some unread briefing.

Who ever said anything about being a hero much less anything about Amazon being evil? Dime store or 5th Avenue...what difference does it make? I believe we should have the freedom to control what we rightfully own. Whatever comes of this, or that, or whatever we do, so be it. If it makes a dozen or so people a lot happier with a product they own, and that's considered 'heroic', then ok. Call it what you like. I can't count the times I've stated this is fun for me and a learning experience.

But hey, you have a good story line in a plot that goes beyond Amazon. Sounds like something I'd want to read about anyways. It's one of many battles. Small as it may be, a win is a win.

EDIT: Amazon just customized it. Within a matter of days, we've but thrown out much of that customization. When, or if we ever get root, I'd much like to spend time actually customizing it myself. Much of it can be undone by simple edits if you know where to make them. I've learned a lot in the past week, where many of those edits can be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinkerer76

pdhnco

May 3, 2015
theflathead, is your new Fire 8 the 7th Gen Fire HD 8?

Did you do this on a NEW FIRE HD 8, 7th Generation???

You said you just got it, and so did I, got the OS upgrade to 5.4.0, and hoping I can use this approach. Thanks in advance. . .
Paul

thunder2132

Mar 11, 2011
Michigan
I just did it on my 7th Gen, blue 7" Amazon Kindle and everything worked. You have to read the directions and go to accessbility settings and enable detecting home button press, otherwise the home button won't work on the launcher.

Reactions: sflesch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING

Compatibility

This no longer works on Fire OS 5.4.0.1 unfortunately, the uninstall method has been patched :(
    Click here for the download link

There has been an article featuring my tool. If you want to check it out - link is here.
    https://liliputing.com/2017/07/fire-tablet-tool-makes-hacking-amazons-2017-tablets-easier.html
    Also I want you to know, if you choose to remove bloat, it will remove every Amazon app exept for the Camera, meaning you will be left with Camera and Settings left on your home screen.
    Works, thanks.
    Few comments:
    I am sorry. It installes Google Photos because the camera app is still there after uninstall. It uninstalls Amazon Photos and you need a photos app to veiw the pictures you took.
    It won't reinstall the Google Play apps but it will install Google for you
    It installs the Google App because it removes unified search which means on Nova Launcher the Google Search bar actually goes to Google Now instead of the Amazon Search. I am sorry for not mentioning it. I will edit the post.
    Hi everyone, I'm new here as I recently started my adventure with Android tablets as they are so cheap right now.

Even though it's my first post here, I've been fallowing a few threads and trying to put everything together.

I really would like to thank EVERYONE here for sharing their ideas and tutorials for people who are too stupid (like me) to figure it all out on my their own.

Special thanks to fallowing contributors

DragonFire1024 for initial use bloatware removal commands on fire tablet

BaronKiko for LauncherHijack

savvytechwinner for this noob friendly .bat file

Davey126 as well as all above for their ideas and answering some noob questions

Now my fire7 and fire hd8 runs much faster with a normal launcher
    Really hope root will be available at some point but I read it might not happen for fire 5.4
    BTW fire hd8 on Amazon sale is one of the best new price/performance tablets IMHO. Bought it new for £50

also I took advice and bought used HDX7 3rd gen. Best used gadget I bought for only £20!! With a custom os it beats everything bought today in under £150 range.

Once again massive thanks to all of you contributors here.

???
    Thanks for this tool. I just got my Kindle Fire HD8 today, and though by the time I came across this handy utility I'd already installed gapps, launcher hijack, and Google Now Launcher (I'm not a fan of Nova), my patience with having my app drawer full of all that bloat quickly wore thin. I think the only thing I added was the removal of "Connect to Goodreads" ("Device Setup," com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe), and I saved Amazon Video from the deletion list. So my continued sanity is entirely to your credit.
    We're already famous. Thanks for taking the time to make a tool for this little discovery we made. It just drives me nuts that we spent so much time trying to figure out how to disable these apps, while the whole time the answer and command literally was staring us straight in the face. I'm good enough with small stuff and one line scripts. Building applications or tools like this are still very much out of my league.

Now that we've sorta achieved what we were told we could not, what's next on the menu? :p
    Congrats to all involved for scoring a nice mention on Lliliputing!! That article was very well written (IMHO) and contains all the caveats that permit owners to make an informed choice. As mentioned elsewhere I suspect this tool will become quite popular and hopefully will lead to a better experience for those not satisfied with stock.

Suggestions for future releases if under consideration:
    - add link to Lliliputing article in OP both for props and caveats
    - add a caution to the app reminding users that, as of now, individual apps can not be 'restored' without a full reset (suspect this may change soon)
    - support additional granularity on what gets hidden (uninstalled) iso it's not an all or nothing proposition. Possibly through the use of sections although it may be a tough call on what to include in each

Again, congrats!
    @sd_shadow: for possible inclusion in index thread (general purpose utility)