[NOW PUBLIC] Team Codefire Presents: Project FreeGee!

Search This thread

cubanorafter

Jul 22, 2011
Had the same problem, also using latest freegee from play store. After recovering wwith kdz flash, second time I installed straight away liquid smooth rom and so far everything works ok

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, I recovered stock firmware and am back up and running. Started to panic since I finally decided to root and unlock last night.

The app looks easy, will give it another go a bit later. Since I wasn't the only one, maybe there is little bug that needs to be fixed?

Anyways, good job on the app. Thanks for your work

fra6220

May 30, 2013
Castelbolognese
Free gee problems

HI, ON OPTIMUS G E975... FREE GEE from the last update install just the bootloader of nexus 4.... and no more the one of lg optimus g Why does it happen???

artit

Aug 17, 2011
Pathumthani
Thanks, I recovered stock firmware and am back up and running. Started to panic since I finally decided to root and unlock last night.

The app looks easy, will give it another go a bit later. Since I wasn't the only one, maybe there is little bug that needs to be fixed?

Anyways, good job on the app. Thanks for your work

I can confirm that for new e975 stock firmware if you not install new custom rom after you unlock bootloader, your stock rom will not work. I got it work by install custom rom. It work fine now.

ysabxe

Dec 16, 2010
The UPDATE is horrible! Return back old version. Do not work on e970!

Solved
Old version 1.2 is in the PlayMarket -> FreeGee -> Description

Last edited:
Reactions: fra6220

Cayman.n2o

Mar 21, 2009
Nis
HI, ON OPTIMUS G E975... FREE GEE from the last update install just the bootloader of nexus 4.... and no more the one of lg optimus g Why does it happen???

I have noticed this screen but I thought that its how its supposed to be on LGOG... I don't mind, at least its working :)
5uhuraha.jpg

Reactions: fra6220

fra6220

May 30, 2013
Castelbolognese
I have noticed this screen but I thought that its how its supposed to be on LGOG... I don't mind, at least its working :)
5uhuraha.jpg

Yes this screen with Google Logo right! but if I use Kdz to flash stock rom again it gives errors and i have to unplug and replug it in download mode... The old version worked better it didn't give this "problems" Why did they change it like this :crying:

Last edited:

Shelnutt2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 8, 2010
Yes this screen with Google Logo right! but if I use Kdz to flash stock rom again it gives errors and i have to unplug and replug it in download mode... The old version worked better it didn't give this "problems" Why did they change it like this :crying:

You can still download the old version. It's linked in the description on the playstore.

Second we've ALWAYS used the nexus 4 bootloader for unlocking. Using the mako sbl stack was optional. Now a year after the device came out, I've got quite the number of complaints about why we don't use the mako sbl stack by default. So after lots of testing, the mako sbl stack is about as safe as flashing the ics sbl stack which is needed for jellybean devices. The advantage of this is you now get the bootloader screen.

If you really want the ics sbl stack. I'll add that as an option today.

I know some people are having issues with the new freegee, but I tested it throughly on every device I had access to, and I didn't push it to the play store until I felt it was ready.

If you do have an issue telling me "Its broke" or simply leaving negative comments on the playstore does 0 to help solve them. I need to know what you were doing, what happened, a logcat of running freeegee, and for you to send me your boot image. I can't solve problems I don't have myself, and with the large number of variations of lg supported devices out there, there are going to be hiccups.

Lastly I've had a few people claiming FreeGee bricked their phone recently. If it turns on at all it's far from bricked. Most of these people did other things after using freegee which caused it.

Cayman.n2o

Mar 21, 2009
Nis

Had the same problem with kdz and had to do unplug/plug thing. Maybe by using bootloader from nexus fw compatibility is avoided, since the previous version of freegee didn't support my phone...

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

You can still download the old version. It's linked in the description on the playstore.

Second we've ALWAYS used the nexus 4 bootloader for unlocking. Using the mako sbl stack was optional. Now a year after the device came out, I've got quite the number of complaints about why we don't use the mako sbl stack by default. So after lots of testing, the mako sbl stack is about as safe as flashing the ics sbl stack which is needed for jellybean devices. The advantage of this is you now get the bootloader screen.

If you really want the ics sbl stack. I'll add that as an option today.

I know some people are having issues with the new freegee, but I tested it throughly on every device I had access to, and I didn't push it to the play store until I felt it was ready.

If you do have an issue telling me "Its broke" or simply leaving negative comments on the playstore does 0 to help solve them. I need to know what you were doing, what happened, a logcat of running freeegee, and for you to send me your boot image. I can't solve problems I don't have myself, and with the large number of variations of lg supported devices out there, there are going to be hiccups.

Lastly I've had a few people claiming FreeGee bricked their phone recently. If it turns on at all it's far from bricked. Most of these people did other things after using freegee which caused it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm most thankful for freegee. I have had a chance to unlock bootloaders on many devices and this is one of easiest so far. Just giving you a feedback so that you can have idea of to work on in future versions :)
Simple unplug/plug is easy, and crashing stock rom...why would someone even unlock bootloader if not planning to install custom rom??? :)
Just edit first post and point to those steps, and maybe and to app description on play store. By me, you will always have 10 star review.

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
kernel crush

well, I got OTA to JB.

root.
unlock use freeGee 1.5 , get backup files.
reboot. stuck at LG logo.

do the lgnpst back to JB
root.

install FreeGee from play store , free version
backup efs
unlock
install cwm

in sometime screen show can't not download or download error, just very short message

then next 10 min screen shows something like installing cwm(can't remember)

I reboot the phone.

it shows a kernel cruch and
if press power to faastboot, shows unlock.
try to go to recovery, shows google logo in the upper screen and a small lock on the button.

last for 15min

quit and redo lgnst.

I think I would stop at root until devs have suggestion about what should I do or anything I do wrong

Thank you

chevro1et

Oct 23, 2012
Busan
Using the latest Play Store version results in "Your device is not supported" pop-up, followed by force close of the app.

Please find attached boot img d/l link.

https://db.tt/ktehORbw

Sent from my LG-F180L using xda app-developers app

nicklefloss

Jun 15, 2010
ok, so I made a mistake i used this on my jb ota phone, and now I am stuck at the lg screen how do I fix it?

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i52c3aatlvef44n/Screenshot_2013-12-07-22-55-24.png

This is what i get with version 1.2.4. After that says that it cant download..
With the new version im getting a white screen and a notification for the download that never starts like this..
1.2.4 version was working perfectly a few days ago. I flashed stock rom with kdz and now nothing.
What can i do for this??
Thanks in advance.

It should still work fine. We had to change our download server unexpectedly last week and we are still experiencing minor issues as a result. If you run into download issues please try again after a few minutes.

ok, so I made a mistake i used this on my jb ota phone, and now I am stuck at the lg screen how do I fix it?

As of a few hours ago this has been confirmed fixed and the update was pushed to the files without a need for updating the application.

Using the latest Play Store version results in "Your device is not supported" pop-up, followed by force close of the app.

Please find attached boot img d/l link.

https://db.tt/ktehORbw

Sent from my LG-F180L using xda app-developers app

@chevro1et, I'm adding 180S, 180L and 180F to the supported devices now.

Reactions: chevro1et

nch26

Jun 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.youtube.com
Device not supported

It should still work fine. We had to change our download server unexpectedly last week and we are still experiencing minor issues as a result. If you run into download issues please try again after a few minutes.

As of a few hours ago this has been confirmed fixed and the update was pushed to the files without a need for updating the application.

@chevro1et, I'm adding 180S, 180L and 180F to the supported devices now.

@Shelnutt2 LG-E987 is not supported by this new freegee, or it tells so. Do you have the boot.img file over there or i give you the img ?

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for do it quickly, but it says that my device is a G Pro, and E987 model is an Optimus G. I dont install any just to be sure.

Good catch, sorry about that, your model # always confuses me with the G pro model numbers of E986 and E988. I've updated and corrected this, you are good to go now.

Reactions: nch26

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
Got the update from the Play Store (v1.9.7), granted superSU permission, downloading supported device list, and still get the Unsupported Device popup, app force closes. Running stock rom F180L_20S, rooted. Tried rebooting device and error persists.

Can you link me a build.prop for 180s? Maybe I have the device.name wrong for detection. I thought ro.product.name=LG-180S for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note, this is not compatible with the JB OTA - use the app in the Play store instead for now. Thanks!

Howdy all! So, it's time for me to dig out my release thread template... you know what that means?

The LG Optimus G is now unlocked.
    Both the AT&T Version and the Sprint Version have been successfully unlocked with this method.
    (To answer your question, if you're wondering, we're going to work on the Canadian version next, then the Korean version)

First off, I'd like to write a few words to LG:

Dear LG, a product will rise and fall on the shoulders of it's community.
    If you lock a device, and shut out your community, you lose the backing of a very vocal group of people. When you lose the backing of your community, they no longer recommend your product, and you lose money. HTC has discovered this recently.
    Please support your development community, we understand product security plays a role here, but ensure that you cater to your community still.
    The second you try to fight your development community by locking them out of your products is the second that I will cease to recommend your products.
    Keep this in mind, and I assure you that you will find yourself on the top of the game.

With all of that said, let's get back to the goodies.

What is this?!

This is Project FreeGee, silly!
    Have an Optimus G ? This project will allow you to unlock your bootloader, and install whatever you want.

How does this work?

For the moment, that is a trade secret. Suffice it to say that we put some ones and zeros in the right places, and good things happen.
    This is also my opportunity to say do not allow any OTAs to install without asking if they are compatible. LG could possibly patch this in such a manner that makes it rather hard to ever exploit it again.

I'm a skeptic. I demand proof!

Alrighty, here it is:

Once again, taken with my HTC Vivid, that would rather mute me than let me speak.
    Damn "nose elimination"! I am not noise, and I will not be silenced! (mmhmhmhpmhmp!!)

Okay, I'm game. Where do I get it?

Version 0.3 has a confirmed bug-- camera app crashes phone after a few seconds!
    If you have 0.3 installed, simply download this, extract the .zip, and extract the .tar file. Inside the freegee-working directory, you'll find boot-att-freegee.img .
    Boot your phone to fastboot, then fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot-att-freegee.img
    I will release a quick fix .zip for flashing in CWM tomorrow.

Current Version: 0.5
    Changelog:
    New in v0.5 Removed LG Security check. You are now free to remove any and all apps.
    http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lgoptimusg/att/freegee/FreeGee-0.5_ATT.zip

Currently, the download is Windows-only. I will make a OSX/Linux/Windows version soon!

FAQ

• Can I flash an OTA after installing this?
      No. Flashing an OTA could contain a new bootloader, and it would replace the one we have put on your device. If you flash the new OTA, and it replaces the bootloader but not the boot.img, you could be left in a situation where you could not boot the phone due to a security error. Once you're in that position, the only thing you can do is LGNPST back to stock-- and even then, it is possible that an OTA could enable an anti-rollback feature which would disable LGNPST.
    • Does this mean I can flash custom ROMs now?
      Yes. However, the custom ROM must be made for your device. We're working on a decrapified stock ROM, and AOSP ROMs as well. Be patient for those to come.
    • Can I install a Nexus 4 system image and boot.img and have it work?
      We've tested that, and the answer is no, not yet. Some work needs to be done, but once we figure it out, we'll have a quick and easy AOSP ROM.
    • Does this mean that we can use the Nexus 4 sources (kernel and android) ?
      Short answer: Yes.
      This phone is essentially a Nexus 4, with minor differences in GPIOs, memory address space, and partition table layouts.
      Kernel source is iffy, since we've got Eco mode and a few other things that actually make me like the Optimus kernel more than the Nexus kernel.
      However, this discussion is best suited for a new post.
    • How can I uninstall this?
      I'm working on an easy-uninstall for this as well. Stay tuned for the links...

Important Information

To enter bootloader, hold volume UP and power.

Upon entering the bootloader, you will notice that there is no 'menu' to enter fastboot or recovery. Unfortunately, since the stars didn't align properly, we were unable to tell the new bootloader where to load the images that contain the menu from.

In light of that, you'll have to navigate the menu blind. Use the volume keys to change selection, and the power key to select.

The choices are (in order of pressing volume down):
    Start - boot the phone normally [already selected]
    Restart Bootloader - reboot into the bootloader
    Recovery Mode - enter recovery (CWM)
    Power Off - powers the phone off

So, to get to Recovery, you would press volume down twice then power.

If you have trouble with this, watch my video below for a demonstration.

Instructions!

Please note: this requires root before you can install this! If you haven't rooted your phone yet, now is the time to do so.
    Also, ensure that you have ADB drivers installed. This WILL NOT WORK without them.

Before we begin: please make sure you have USB Debugging turned on, your phone is in "Charge Only" mode, and your phone's screen is on and unlocked.
    This will allow you to see the root access prompt if your phone asks for it.

1. Download the .zip from this post
    2. Extract it somewhere on your hard drive
    3. Ensure your screen is on and unlocked
    4. Run the "freegee.bat" script, and follow the instructions.
      Do not run this as administrator! the install will fail if you do so.
    5. Once the unlock is complete, check to make sure you have a "backups" folder now in the folder where you put FreeGee. If not, DO NOT REBOOT your phone.

Even a failed unlock will still show the 'congratulations you're unlocked!' text, read the output to see if you have errors!
    You should not see any "adb.exe not found" errors, or "tar: invalid magic" errors. Those would be errors in the script.
    An error which you can ignore is "No space left on device" after it says erasing old recovery and boot. That's just a side effect of how we clear the old images out.

Contact Information

"Mister Cubed, how do I talk to you?"
    That's easy! Hop on IRC and join me on Freenode in #lg-optimus-g . I'm in there as IOMonster (or IOMonster_desk, or IOMonster_work, depending on where I am)
    There's also a lot of other cool people in there too!

When you hop in IRC, if you've got a question, just ask it. Don't say "halp! i does brick'd my phone, and i dunno wat to does?!!", but rather "can anyone help? my phone is stuck in fastboot mode, and I can't get out of it. I flashed <xyz> and now I'm stuck here."
    Asking your full question (even though it might be a long message) helps us figure out the best way to assist you, without us having to lead the conversation and ask all the questions for you.

Also, on IRC (for those of you who have never used IRC) if you say someone's name, it will 'ping' (also called 'highlight') them. This tells us that someone is talking to us. So, if you pop in IRC and say "IOMonster, it worked!", I'll get a notification, and will probably say "that's awesome!" in response.

Special Thanks To!

None of this would be possible without the assistance of the following people:

• Shelnutt2
    • g33k3r
    • kmdm
    • synergy
    • jcase
    • sextape
    • xboxfanj
    • ...and the support of the entire #lg-optimus-g IRC channel

A project like this is really only a sum of it's parts, and in our case, we're over 9,000!
    Please make sure to tell someone on this list that they're awesome if you see them on IRC or (*gasp!*) in real life.

All right, that about sums up my post. Did I forget anything? Let me know below...
    Have there been any updates on new ROMS available for porting? Not asking for a timeline, since I'm happy when it comes :) Just Wondering how things are going for us on the front of New custom ROMS like AOSP and such.

Still running this baby (0.5) without any issues so far! Runs like a champ!

Shelnutt2 and I are working on the merging the optimus kernel source with the nexus 4 kernel source.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    8 phones now in the wild are unlocked :D

I've discovered a few bugs in my script (like, needing to include busybox just in case you don't have it installed correctly)

I'm also going to make a OSX and Linux version as well here soon.

:)
    <insert obligatory "I am not responsible if you brick your phone after applying an OTA, then trying to FreeGee your phone" post here>

Also, I'm still working on the MD5 issue. I'm torn between just saying "forget it" and switching to TWRP, but CWM is so much easier for me to debug, since I'm familiar with it.

Well, I guess I'm on to new territories!
    New build is up!
    Sorry for the inconvenience... had a bug in my batch script.