NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

Xoom

Oct 3, 2006
I'm not the conspiracy theorist type but this is quite interesting. I wouldn't worry about the government at all but the ability of someone with malicious intent exploiting this intentional backdoor.

It just got posted to Bugtraq (securityfocus.com mailing list).

Subject:Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones
Juha-Matti Laurio
To: [email protected]

A widely known Web site Cryptome has released information about backdooring Microsoft Windows machines today.

According to the post National Security Agency has access both stand-alone systems and networks running Microsoft products.

The post states the following:
"This includes wireless wiretapping of “smart phones” running Microsoft Mobile.
Microsoft remote administrative privileges allow “backdooring” into Microsoft operating systems via IP/TCP ports 1024 through 1030."

According to the Cryptome's source this is typically triggered when devices visit Microsoft Update servers.

Cryptome.org:
http://cryptome.org/nsa-ip-update11.htm

SecuriTeam Blogs:
http://blogs.securiteam.com/?p=1028

- Juha-Matti

Last edited:

taguapire

Nov 27, 2006
It is an old news for Windows Desktop users, then we can supouse that it is the same thing for other Windows devices.

World Domination is the word, precisely not from MS.

Regards,

Taguapire.

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
That "stupid" thing is absolutely normal... only free Linux machines are clean from backdoors, even from NSA backdoors... and only if you aren't using nsa selinux encryption algorythm.
For the rest, all of the operating systems produced by a software house such as Microsoft, Novell or other are backdoored by NSA.
Motorola SinergyOS is even backdoored by NSA, and SinergyOS is a simple OS for simple Motorola phones (you can find it on all phones, starting from the old T720i... except a few linux and windows mobile phones.. even backdoored). But all the world is backdoored from NSA. Not only Motorola... that was only an example..

You're simply in the hands of your government....and in the hands of HACKERS.