[NST][CWR][RC2] Clockworkmod based Recovery - fixed backup issue

Search This thread

centralpark

Sep 17, 2009
If you have ADB or noogie working somehow, you can put those two files in the boot directory of the internal SD card.
You don't need any external SD card at all.
Boot with both lower side buttons pushed and it will go to CWR
or if your thumbs are tired, you can do this in ADB:
Code:
echo XXX > /rom/devconf/BootCnt
reboot

I don't have ADB or noogie working...oh well.
I have tried moving the files in ES file explorer as Super User...but each time I reboot the files disappear from the root directory of the internal sd card.

Thanks for trying to help :)

centralpark

Sep 17, 2009
I don't have ADB or noogie working...oh well.
I have tried moving the files in ES file explorer as Super User...but each time I reboot the files disappear from the root directory of the internal sd card.

Thanks for trying to help :)

Would it be possible to create an apk file that would enable/disable multitouch?

centralpark

Sep 17, 2009
I've finally got around to doing something with this.
Since I am very minimal, I just downloaded install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip from the first page,
unzipped it, then copied uImage to /boot/uRecImg and uRamdisk to /boot/uRecRam
That's all the functionality I would need to modify/patch things.

I finally got adb up and running. However, when i type the following command, I get the error:

adb push uImage /boot/uRecImg

failed to copy 'uImage' to '/boot/uRecImg': No such file or directory

Do you have any ideas for what has gone wrong? Thanks so much! :confused:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
People have been having so much trouble getting this all to work so I thought I'd repeat a few things.

First, safeguard you MAC, serial number, public key and hash of private key.
Any one of these will do, but all three will be better.
  1. Use noogie and make a full backup
  2. Copy over the p2 (/rom) partition to somewhere safe.
  3. Copy over rombackup.zip from the p3 (/factory) partition to somewhere safe.

Clockwork Recovery uses two partitions on the internal SD card, p2 (/rom) and p7 (/cache).
If the p7 (/cache) partition is not ext3 and not mountable, CWR will complain loudly about /cache
If the p2 (/rom) partition is not vfat and not mountable or missing some files CWR will not boot at all.

USB ADB will work with Clockwork Recovery.
For Windows, you must have the correct driver installed.
You will know that everything is working when the taskbar icon show two separate devices,
one is the two USB Mass Storage devices and the other is the ADB interface.
Note that the USB ADB daemon on CWR seems to die upon disconnects.
See:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/BN_Nook_Simple_Touch/Installing_ADB
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/ADB

Reactions: stegg

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
This part is still correct.

Getting ADB over USB to work from Clockwork Recovery has been problematical for me.
It doesn't seem to work easily, although I've found a few hints to make it more reliable.

Boot into CWR from powered off. Apparently the USB interface likes a power reset.
Before connecting the Nook to the desktop do an adb kill-server, then an adb usb.
Connect the USB cable, there should be USB connect bongs.
Go to the "safely disconnect hardware" icon and click on it, but do not disconnect anything.
There should be two lines indicated:
"Safely remove Android Composite ADB Interface"
"Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drives (X:, Y: )"
Do adb shell

This part is not really relevant.

Now here is the weird part. I'm not sure how it ever worked.
I was getting this error:
Code:
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
There is no /system/bin/sh or a symlink! Yet it used to work.

CWR uses everything in /sbin to leave room for mounting a normal system.
inside the ramdisk for CWR is init which specifically mentions /system/bin/sh
I extracted init from the ramdisk, modified it and reinserted it.
Now the adb shell works fine on CWR, but I can't figure out how it used to work!

Code:
modfile init 1364c 2f 73 62 69 6e 2f 73 68 00 00 00 00 00 00
(modfile is my utility but you can see what I'm doing. Use your hex editor.)
/system/bin/sh => /sbin/sh

Edit

Oops, I figured it out.
The adbd in CWR and the adbd you normally use in a rooted Nook are not the same.
Both have hard-coded into them the shell.
CWR adbd => /sbin/sh
Nook adbd => /system/bin/sh
(I have no idea what the shell path in init is doing, but it seems to work ok modified.)

Last edited:
Reactions: bisbal

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Some months ago I had imaged sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2 to a SDcard in building a MinimalTouch SDcard. Recently I wanted to repartition/reformat that SDcard for another use, and found out that MiniTool Partition Wizard was not able to delete the existing FAT32 partition created by the sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2 image. I tried using SDformatter but it could not even see the SDcard (and hence reformat it) until after I first reformatted the SDcard with Windows.

As such I am curious as to what makes the FAT32 partition of this image so problematic for usually partition tools to handle it.

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
Windows only mounts the first partition on removable devices, if you inserted the card into the nook and then tried it should see both partitions.
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

N

NOOK!E

Ugh. Come on guys, do we really need to use USB at all?

Just get SwiFTP, mount all your partitions with Terminal Emulator and boom, you can access your whole filesystem over wifi. USB for file transferring is old news!

:D

javelinanddart

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 28, 2014
Midwest
Well, okay. But if you have working WiFi, file transfer is much easier (at least for me) with ADB/SwiFTP.

Just my personal preference. :)

@mali100
Does writing the image to the internal memory still brick the device? because the 1337 ROM Thread Says to write it to the internal memory but this thread says not to...
Also I'm confused on How to install the recovery to the internal memory. The OP and the post under it doesn't clearly outline the process.

Reactions: FerociousAndroid
N

NOOK!E

@mali100
Does writing the image to the internal memory still brick the device? because the 1337 ROM Thread Says to write it to the internal memory but this thread says not to...
Also I'm confused on How to install the recovery to the internal memory. The OP and the post under it doesn't clearly outline the process.

1337 ROM's image is different than the image here that will brick ya if you write it. You can follow the 1337 ROM instructions to the letter and it'll work great.

mali100 said:
To replace the standard recovery of the N2E, copy also the install_cwm_recovery_xx.zip to the sdcard, boot into CWM and use the install zip from sdcard option to install it (it just replaces uRecRam and URecImg in the /boot partition, so you can also do it manually, if you want).

Is this not clear enough?

You copy install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip to the root of your microSD card, boot into CWM, and install the file using the Install zip from sdcard function.

javelinanddart

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 28, 2014
Midwest
1337 ROM's image is different than the image here that will brick ya if you write it. You can follow the 1337 ROM instructions to the letter and it'll work great.

Is this not clear enough?

You copy install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip to the root of your microSD card, boot into CWM, and install the file using the Install zip from sdcard function.

Sorry. Didn't realize you could boot the recovery from the sdcard. Not used to that

N

NOOK!E

Sorry. Didn't realize you could boot the recovery from the sdcard. Not used to that

Oh, lol.

You just write the .img file from sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2.zip to the microSD card, turn off your Nook, put in the microSD card, and turn it back on. Then you're in CWM and you can install the file. :)

Valentin4ou93

Jan 23, 2015
Oh, lol.

You just write the .img file from sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2.zip to the microSD card, turn off your Nook, put in the microSD card, and turn it back on. Then you're in CWM and you can install the file. :)

I put the .img file on my SD card , but when I turn on the nook and push lower left and right keys appears screen that wants me to perform Factory reset . Can't get to recovery :confused:

N

NOOK!E

I put the .img file on my SD card , but when I turn on the nook and push lower left and right keys appears screen that wants me to perform Factory reset . Can't get to recovery :confused:

As @kazikas said, when you use CWM the "sdcard-written-img" way, you don't need to press the two bottom buttons. You only press those buttons to get to CWM recovery if you have CWM installed as your device's recovery (which I'd recommend).

Also, you can use WinImage to write the .img to the sdcard. Make sure that you don't use your Nook to mount the sdcard onto your PC, though - use an adapter instead.

Last edited:

Valentin4ou93

Jan 23, 2015
Maybe it was problem with win32 imager ..wrote tje .img again and it's now working . Thanks for the fast response anyway ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hv5duw.png

DISCLAMER and WARNING:
    • I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data. Make a backup before you try anything described here!
    • Making a backup with CWM only includes the following partitions: boot, system, data, cache. It doesn't include the /rom partition which contains data thats unique for every device. Use this backup method to make a full device backup.
    • Please do not use the restore backup function to restore backups made with versions prior and including RC1. They are faulty and restoring them damages an important bootfile of your nook. It isn't important with which version you restore, if the backup was made with Beta1, Beta2 or RC1 it will fail! Please read http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19945955&postcount=37

Changelog:
    • RC2
      • changed mount options of the boot partition (fixes the bad backup issue)
      • updated sources to the newest ones from CM
      • some internal changes for the screen refresh
    • RC1
      • reboot recovery in the advanced menu is now working
      • boot to recovery is now a bit faster
      • switched to automated build environment
      • moved some files to the appropriate place
    • Beta2
      Added page refresh after pushing back or select buttons, to get rid off the ghosting. Still not perfect, but good enough for a recovery.
    • Beta1
      First release

Hi,
    after some trying and hacking I was able to build a working Clockworkmod based recovery for the Nook Simple Touch.
    It is still a beta-version, but everything I tested (backup, restore, mount USB, install zip) works.

If you want to try it, just write one of the imgs from the sd_xx_clockwork-....zip to a SD card with at least the capacity mentioned in the filename. Put the card in your N2E and reboot. Do not write these images directly to the Nook, it will brick your device permanetly!

To replace the standard recovery of the N2E, copy also the install_cwm_recovery_xx.zip to the sdcard, boot into CWM and use the install zip from sdcard option to install it (it just replaces uRecRam and URecImg in the /boot partition, so you can also do it manually, if you want).
    There is really no need to install CWM on the device as long as you aren't developing and need it constantly. Please keep in mind that replacing the stock recovery will remove the restore function, that can be triggered by pressing the two lower buttons (or by eight failed boots). Restoring the stock recovery with install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip will bring back this function.

How to boot into recovery:
    • Power down the N2E
    • Press the power button for ca. 3 seconds, so that the device boots (you don't have to hold the power button after the 3 seconds)
    • As soon as the display changes to the "read forever" screen , push and hold the lower left and the lower right button until the screen changes again
    • Wait until you see the recovery

If you want the standard recovery back, use the install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip (See next post).

Button layout:
    • Both Buttons on the left: BACK
    • Upper button on the right: UP
    • Lower button on the right: DOWN
    • n button: SELECT
    • Power button: TOGGLE DISPLAY

Known bugs:
    • after restoring the boot partition, most of the times the recovery ends in an unresponsive state. The nook has to be rebooted by holding the power button. This is not affecting the restore!
    • "reboot system now" doesn't work always (sometimes you have to power cycle), experienced it only when booting from SD
    • Reboot to recovery by using adb reboot recovery doesn't work. (needs a new adbd binary in the uRamdisk)

DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data. Make a backup before you try anything described here!

Credits go to:
    Useful update.zip's

rom_backup.zip
    Makes a backup of all the files that are on the /rom partition. Saves it to the SD-card /backup/rom_backup.tgz.
    This partition contains some important data, that is unique for every device (serial, MAC, ...).

install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip
    Installs the recovery from the stock 1.1 update.

MinimalTouch
    Automatic Rooting + Gapps by eded333

install_remount_commands.zip
    Adds the commands systemrw (remount /system rewritable) and systemro (remount /system readonly).

If you have useful update.zip's that should be included here, please let me know.
    New version is online!

I managed to get the recovery build by the CM-Buildenv, which means a step closer to going upstream.

Rebooting to recovery on the NC is done by writing the string "recovery" to the address 0x40 of the BCB file, I implemented it the same way to the NST. Use the install_reboot_to_recovery.zip to use this function.
    Which zip is the new, fixed one? The one at the bottom of the above posting, labeled zoom2?
    zoom2_source_rc2.zip are just the files to build the recovery yourself. The new recovery is in the opening post.
    I feel a need to point out that if you replace the current recovery files on the NST's Boot Partition then you won't be able to use the recovery disk if anything goes wrong you'll be stuck relying purely on CWM.
    Thats correct, but its easily possible to switch back to the stock recovery using install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip from CWM.

With that in mind, I'd also wait til it's in an actual release, not just RC before you decide to replace your device's recovery files.
    The only reason that it is still RC is that I can't fix the sstuck after restore bug. Everything else works fine (at least no one reported any problems, and I also didn't experienced any).

Anyway, I will add a short warning.