[NST/G] R.I.P. WeatherACE for the Nook Simple Touch

Search This thread

mycodefab

Sep 29, 2013
Kiev
I tried the app on both devices (with and without Network Location). Unfortunately it does not want to run :(
The changes was not about to make it better, it was about to make it build at all :). Except changes for the weather sources.

One last try before I will continue to try to make emulator for Android 2.1 works correctly for me.

http://mycodefab.com/files/WeatherACEv1v7v4v5.apk

Please also attach the part of logcat.txt in case the version will still not work for you.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
The changes was not about to make it better, it was about to make it build at all :). Except changes for the weather sources.

One last try before I will continue to try to make emulator for Android 2.1 works correctly for me.

http://mycodefab.com/files/WeatherACEv1v7v4v5.apk

Please also attach the part of logcat.txt in case the version will still not work for you.
The result is the same, on the surface anyway. I've attached a logcat.

Just to see what would happen, I installed v2 on a KitKat device. Icons and app names were correct in file manager and launcher and the app started up and ran correctly.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 5

mycodefab

Sep 29, 2013
Kiev
The result is the same, on the surface anyway. I've attached a logcat.
The logcat helped me. I commented out the google api call that crashed. The commented code seems not critical for the app. I still cant test it on emulator... tried both Android 2.1 and 2.3.3 emulators and they both does not work. Black emulator screen after starting the emulators, no errors in logs, solutions from the internet does not help.

In case the new version will not work, I will try to do something else next weekend. Or may be I will find the way to make the emulator work...

Please try both ways: clean install and install on top of the old version 1.7.4 that worked.

http://mycodefab.com/files/WeatherACEv1v7v4v6.apk

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013

Attachments

• file_manager.jpg
    file_manager.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 17
  • package_installer.jpg
    package_installer.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • launcher.jpg
    launcher.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
  • logcat.txt
    202 KB · Views: 5

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
It does not work either way and the presentation in file manager, launcher and even App Manager is getting more bizarre (some screen caps below). I've attached a logcat.

I did not look log file as I assume it would not mean much to me as this is application I am not accustomed to. Nevertheless I think that the problem of strange characters is due to Nook not natively supporting UTF-8 type fonts. Author probably used either Central European font settings or Cyrillic which made Nook spitting garbled characters. And I do not understand why do you have several versions of the same application listed in file manager. Having them installed side by side is in my opinion bound to throw some errors. Just my two cents if anyone is asking...

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
And I do not understand why do you have several versions of the same application listed in file manager. Having them installed side by side is in my opinion bound to throw some errors. Just my two cents if anyone is asking...
There is only one version installed. Those listed are just the various versions tried so far.

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
There is only one version installed. Those listed are just the various versions tried so far.

I see. I have made an error in judgment. Different icons for those apk files fouled me into thinking that. I apologize for that. On another side I started a project of porting some Linux program for weather as an Android app but it will take a lot of time for me to do that and God only knows will I be able to make e-ink friendly application. It is completely different from here discussed apps and might find only niche audience of possible users but I will follow this thread closely and let you know if I made any progress on my project. I wish you all the best in your effort to keep WeatherAce running on NST.

Barrymarks0508

Nov 4, 2020
Yes! I agree. The app is "as good as" dead. Climate Module is another wonderful weather data provider that has been declared dead. I have recently switched over to Climacell and their data seems to be good so far. I have heard good things about Weatherbit too, but I haven't tried it yet. Getting accurate weather data seems to such a difficult or expensive thing these days. I wish more companies developed solutions for people like us.

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
While brainstorming for ideas what to do with old trusty NST I stumbled on a link to a site that I know for ages but as everyone forgot it long ago. I do not know was it mentioned before anywhere on NST forum but this thread looks good enough for that. So there you have it text mode weather report http://wttr.in/

Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
While brainstorming for ideas what to do with old trusty NST I stumbled on a link to a site that I know for ages but as everyone forgot it long ago. I do not know was it mentioned before anywhere on NST forum but this thread looks good enough for that. So there you have it text mode weather report http://wttr.in/
LOL! Those "icons" are really awful :)

I accessed this on my PC (haven't tried the NST yet) and it came right up with my local area. I wonder if it will pick up my location on the NSTs which have NetworkLocation installed? Too bad with the black background. I know that was all the rage on older phones, but I just don't get it, and it's certainly not a good look for the NST. But I need to take a look!

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
LOL! Those "icons" are really awful :)
Yes old ASCII art for the "win"! ;)
I wonder if it will pick up my location on the NSTs which have NetworkLocation installed? Too bad with the black background.
That is same thing I ask myself. On my tablet I am forced to input my location on modern weather apps and somehow I doubt that automatic detection of location on NST could work. As for black theme I guess custom page style in Opera can sort that problem out.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I didn't have any luck with Opera Mini and Location, but it did work with Opera Mobile. That doesn't really surprise me considering how Opera Mini is supposed to work. I need to look at the HTML behind the page. That's more interesting to me right now (it really does look awful on the NST...)

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
My guess is that in case of Opera Mobile as I understand actually some web server does rendering of web page to be delivered to mobile device (in this case obviously NST) it might gather location information from user IP maybe and use that independently of information on device. Opera Mini obviously although it is supposedly more complete browser required to gather the intended information on device and from reasons yet to be determined failed to do so. Happy bug hunting!

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
Just remembered something of some value that can negotiate non working geolocation in Opera Mini. Use /airport code at the end of URL. So wttr.in/JFK will give you weather report at the international New York airport JFK. I guess that should be good enough fix while the @nmyshkin play around with page styles for that site to make it look better for everyone. Works with IATA and ICAO codes I checked and throws me an error and weather report on random location with some chosen FAA codes.

Until @Renate does not pull out for us some way to use telnet rainmaker.wunderground.com I would at least check m.wund.com. Page it loads is bloathed with graphics so I have no high hopes for that one although it works from my computer at least and load weather for correct geolocation. Had hard time finding where to change the settings since by default it load data in imperial units.

Last edited:

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
I apologize. Also you might be right about this. I didn't mention that site because it was listed as USA only but when I checked from my PC it worked just fine for my location.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Mmm, first working version. Still needs some more bling.

Oh, if you're polling this API with curl or something, you have to add an identifying User-Agent like the doc nicely asks.

Edit: I like the smilies, but split in two lines it's easier to visually scan.
The gray indicates aggregating less than a full interval of data.

Attachments

• weather3.png
    weather3.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
I'm running this on a Raspberry Pi.
It's using libcurl to deal with https to weather.gov
I'm parsing the JSON and slapping together HTML to return to the webuser.
Right now I'm just working on getting the most succinct weather info I need into a small and clean space.
The RPi has a good GPS on it so that the webuser does not need location (or JavaScript or https).
For non-mobile use you can just have the "TOP/31,80" fixed.
I need to make this a systemd service so that it will poll a few times a day and not query new location coords unless there has been movement.
Eventually this will be a small section of my (non web) NST status display that's connected to the RPi.

The JSON from weather.gov does include URLs for summarize icons and "shortForecast" text.
There is also this example page (which doesn't quite correlate):
For example, the latest JSON says "Sunny" and there is no "Sunny" on that whole page.
The color icon are not very suitable for an NST anyway.
Drawing icons is definitely something that I don't do well!

It's interesting:
A quick check of weather.gov for my locality uses 1 MB of data (with another 1MB data already cached).
Querying for JSON uses ~10 kB, 1%
It's surprising that public providers don't promote APIs more.
I hit up the John Hopkins Covid site for stats, that's 849 bytes total!

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
I guessed that TOP/x,y are some coordinates. Now looking for a way to input my coordinates to get that 12kb file for my location I must say to be lost. Maybe that is the reason why that site is mentioned as USA only?

You are right about API for a Covid I have it installed on Linux machine and it is blazing fast. There I also have a problem of it choosing by default USA as country and then I have to change to mine country from jump out menu which is slightly annoying but I didn't bother to find a spot in the file where to change its default assumption. So I might choose to learn these GEO grids they play around with after all.

As for mine weather emoji proposal some of them work out of box while some are empty rectangles implying that I miss something installed. I guess its nothing hard to fix but it might require adding an extra web font link for example as NST is rather restrictive about available fonts on the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, I'm bummed. Weather Ace was one of the few apps that had nice widgets appropriate for the eInk screen. :(
    Hi everybody, wttr.in author here.

I am really happy that you tried to use wttr.in for your purposes and you found it helpful.

I would like to mention several things, which are perhaps already known to you, or may be not yet; they are unsorted, and unstructured, just a bunch of remarks that came to my mind after reading the thread.

1. wttr.in has several view options, like:
    * https://wttr.in (classics)
    * https://v2.wttr.in/ (plots)
    * https://v3.wttr.in/ (region based)

All of course work in the terminal, i.e. you can curl them directly,
    like:

curl v2.wttr.in

which is not relevant for this forum probably,
    but still can be useful.

2. wttr.in supports one-line format output (with emojis) etc,
    which can be used like:

$ curl wttr.in/Paris?format=4
    Paris: ☀️ 🌡️+9°C 🌬️↙28km/h

(here, instead of 4, special format line can be specified)

3. wttr.in supports also JSON output format.

4. PNG output format is supported too, i.e. if you want
    to embed weather info you can use wttr.in/Paris.png
    or you can specify query options directly in the queried filename (e.g. wttr.in/Paris_YOUR_OPTIONS.png)

5. You can specify query options in URL, e.g. for narrow output (n), the query will look like https://wttr.in/Paris?n

6. More options can be found at https://wttr.in/:help

7. wttr.in is absolutely free and open source.

8. wttr.in is up and running since Feb 2016, for more than 5 years now; it handles approx 10-15M queries daily for the moment.

If you have some feature requests, let's discuss them, I will be happy to help. May be something works already, and something could be easily added/implemented
    FWIW, I've changed my mind on what "daytime" is and settled on 8A-8P
    9A is too late for the start and 6A doesn't acknowledge heat inertia.
    For you nautical types, that aligns it with eight bells.