[NST/NSTG][ROM] 1337 ROM [Apr. 9]

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I am on 1.2.2 now is it possible for me to downgrade to 1.2.1 ? I really need a rom like this but i don't know how to do it :/
A complete factory reset (not just deregister) will take you back to the firmware version that came with the device out of the box. If it's earlier than 1.2.1, you can upgrade.

However, I doubt you can get the 1337 ROM to work properly for you. Start reading here.

Last edited:

xisini

Oct 19, 2011
Istanbul
OnePlus 5T
A complete factory reset (not just deregister) will take you back to the firmware version that came with the device out of the box. If it's earlier than 1.2.1, you can upgrade.

However, I doubt you can get the 1337 ROM to work properly for you. Start reading here.

I thought this was a new rom because of my excitement i couldn't noticed that op was date back 2014. Sorry about that. I looked at the message you mentioned and some others. So gapps, youtube and some other apps not working. All i need is to have an android rom that is working, yalp store and cool reader.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83180415&postcount=377

I read this message of yours and i think the best way for me is this. If i am not mistaken. Can i ask you a couple of questions about this ?

1- How can i know if my nook is a US device or not ?
2- Can i use nookmanager with 1.2.2 ?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I thought this was a new rom because of my excitement i couldn't noticed that op was date back 2014. Sorry about that. I looked at the message you mentioned and some others. So gapps, youtube and some other apps not working. All i need is to have an android rom that is working, yalp store and cool reader.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83180415&postcount=377

I read this message of yours and i think the best way for me is this. If i am not mistaken. Can i ask you a couple of questions about this ?

1- How can i know if my nook is a US device or not ?
2- Can i use nookmanager with 1.2.2 ?
If you have updated to 1.2.2 then your device has US firmware. You can use the updated NookManager to root it: https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/development/nst-g-updating-nookmanager-t3873048

There are currently no versions of the Yalp Store (or its fork) that work on the NST.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hey, what happened to the 1337 downloads section? All that I see attached now are pictures.
Yes, I think development downloads went away with the forum upgrade. I've noticed quite a few attachment apks missing too.

In any case, these fellows are long gone so unless another devotee of this ROM sees your post and has the original files, you are SOL.

That said, you would not get far with the installation and it would be stuck in FW 1.2.1 forever. For some suggestions on how to get at least the look of the ROM, see my earlier post here: https://xdaforums.com/t/nst-nstg-rom-1337-rom-apr-9.2931567/post-82222759

Edit: see https://xdaforums.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018/post-84284015

Last edited:

pnstung

Feb 9, 2021
i can't see 1337 Rom in your post.
and i follow to here then flash my nook2 with Nook manager.img to root and disable the B&N app.
and now, i want to setup some .apk to read .mobi, .Prc, some manga .apk ..... But my Nook say : "can not extract apk not from Market"
How to fix ?
However i see a team can run CM11 in NOOK with Android 4.4, that name FastMode & USB Sound ROM. Do you think ?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
i can't see 1337 Rom in your post.
This thread is for the Nook Simple Touch. Is that what you have?

However i see a team can run CM11 in NOOK with Android 4.4,
Are you sure that they don't mean the Glows?

Can not extract apk not from Market
You need to go to Settings > Application Settings > Unknown Sources (Allow install of non-market applications)

You can also install over ADB which ignores that setting:
Code:
C:\>adb install myapp.apk

Or on later Android you could use the setting command.

Or you can download my setvalues utility.
Code:
C:\>adb push setvalues /data/local/tmp
C:\>adb shell
# cd /data/local/tmp
# chmod 755 setvalues
# echo install_non_market_apps 1 >nm
# ./setvalues nm

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I have finally managed to track down copies of the 1337 ROM zips.

Caveat emptor: If you decide to play around with these files first make a complete backup of your device. Then read the thread carefully. Be aware that this ROM is based on FW 1.2.1 and that means you will not be able to register it and may have trouble connecting to the internet. It is possible to remove all the B&N stuff with NookManager and thus solve the power drain issue caused by skipping OOBE (and the WiFi connection issue), but that means you will have to install your own reader app, dictionary, launcher, etc.

You've been warned.

1337 ROM v.1.2: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.2.zip
1337 ROM v.1.3: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.3.zip
1337 ROM v.1.3.4: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.3.4.zip

linlance

Feb 21, 2013
I have finally managed to track down copies of the 1337 ROM zips.

Caveat emptor: If you decide to play around with these files first make a complete backup of your device. Then read the thread carefully. Be aware that this ROM is based on FW 1.2.1 and that means you will not be able to register it and may have trouble connecting to the internet. It is possible to remove all the B&N stuff with NookManager and thus solve the power drain issue caused by skipping OOBE (and the WiFi connection issue), but that means you will have to install your own reader app, dictionary, launcher, etc.

You've been warned.

1337 ROM v.1.2: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.2.zip
1337 ROM v.1.3: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.3.zip
1337 ROM v.1.3.4: https://devdb.xda-developers.com/6/5/4/2/1337_ROM_1.3.4.zip
above url can't download .zip files.
Please fix it.thank you.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Alright, I hope there's still some good news to come or if someone has backups of these packages. Still, thank you for caring about Nook2 in 2023.
Hi folks, just confirming that the DevDB legacy backup is now gone following our recent server and domain migration. Unfortunately, it no longer made sense for us to keep the recurring cost given it was esentially unused, and only here for legacy purposes.
So there it went...into oblivion. I don't think I kept copies because I had no interest in the project, but I'll check later today when my PC is booted up.

Edit: sorry, I do not have local copies. Probably someone does, but it's not me.

Last edited:

linlance

Feb 21, 2013
So there it went...into oblivion. I don't think I kept copies because I had no interest in the project, but I'll check later today when my PC is booted up.

Edit: sorry, I do not have local copies. Probably someone does, but it's not me.

but still, thank you . I'll search online again, and hopefully, someone else still has a backup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1st OP

Welcome, fellow Nook users, to the future of the Nook Simple Touch! We present to you: 1337 ROM!

This ROM is made for both the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight using software version 1.2.1.

Features

Installation Instructions

1. Install Clockworkmod Recovery (to internal memory, not the SD Card) according to this thread.
    2. Download the latest version of the ROM from the Downloads section. THESE ARE NOT FLASHABLE FILES.
    3. Extract the package to an accessible location. You should have three *.zip files.
    4. Copy all three *.zip files to the SD Card or internal memory.
    5. Boot to Clockworkmod by rebooting and holding the bottom left and right buttons at the "Your Nook is Starting Up" screen.
    6. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
    7. Flash the nook_1337rom_xx.zip and reboot.
    8. Follow through normal B&N setup, then boot back into recovery.
    9. Flash Nooter-Part1.zip and reboot back into the OS.
    10. You should be brought to ReLaunch instead of the B&N homescreen.
    11. Open YouTube. Hit Menu -> My channel. At the prompt that appears, tap Add Account.
    12. Sign in with your Google credentials (Gmail and password) and close YouTube.
    13. Open Gmail. Tap menu -> Sync. Gmail will promptly crash (straight to home; no FC or "unfortunate" stop)
    14. Reboot back to CWM again. This time, flash Nooter-Part2.zip.
    15. Reboot again and enjoy!

Upgrade Instructions for coming up from previous versions of the ROM
    1. Download the latest *.zip file and extract it somewhere safe. As a reminder: THIS IS NOT A FLASHABLE FILE
    2. Copy the three contained *.zip files to your SD card.
    3. Reboot into recovery.
    4. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
    5. Flash all three files in this order, without rebooting: nook_1337rom_xx.zip, Nooter-Part1.zip, then Nooter-Part2.zip.
    6. Reboot.

Note - Be sure to check out the 2nd OP for the changelog, planned features, FAQ, and more.

XDA:DevDB Information
    1337 ROM, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Touch

Contributors
    yattaro, ИΘΘK¡€, javelinanddart
    ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread
    ROM Firmware Required: B&N OS 1.2.1
    Based On: Stock

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.3.4
    Beta Release Date: 2015-04-09

Created 2014-11-07
    Last Updated 2015-04-11
    Would love to try this out but I'm not seeing the links for the 1337rom, nooter-part1, and nooter-part2. Am I missing something?

It's a DevDB project. Look above the OP.
    Hey sorry I've been gone for a while again. I think I'll have to drop this ROM myself. I really do want to be an active member of the community, but I've just got no time for full development on my end. I thought I could make the time, but I couldn't because my family wants me to spend more time with them. The Nook was an interesting platform to build on, but it's also pretty finicky compared to the new Nexus 6 I just got, and it's more work than it's worth for me.
    Can you post some screenshots?
    Which homeapp is used? I'm asking as the one in [NST/NSTG][ROM] Tweaked Modded ROM [Feb16] is restarting / falling into refresh loop with some of my books, which is a bit annoying :)

It uses ReLaunch. Give me about an hour and I can throw together some screenies.

Edit: they're up now! Sorry for the delay. Check up top.
    Some pretty nice sounding bug fixes and features, but maybe not fixes for our root issues.
    For root access you can try latest Main_test.apk on 101 page

Most recent changelog for stable:
    - rewritten panels management
    - updated English translation (tivasyk)
    - full new icons(krakozawr)
    - numerous code rewrites
    - added FTP support
    - added panels management
    - updated English translation (tivasyk)
    - revised OPDS code
    - minor fixes and improvements
    - numerous code rewrites