[NST/NSTG][ROM] 1337 ROM [Apr. 9]

Search This thread

yattaro

Jun 27, 2013
Metairie
1st OP

Welcome, fellow Nook users, to the future of the Nook Simple Touch! We present to you: 1337 ROM!

This ROM is made for both the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight using software version 1.2.1.

Features

Installation Instructions

1. Install Clockworkmod Recovery (to internal memory, not the SD Card) according to this thread.
  2. Download the latest version of the ROM from the Downloads section. THESE ARE NOT FLASHABLE FILES.
  3. Extract the package to an accessible location. You should have three *.zip files.
  4. Copy all three *.zip files to the SD Card or internal memory.
  5. Boot to Clockworkmod by rebooting and holding the bottom left and right buttons at the "Your Nook is Starting Up" screen.
  6. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
  7. Flash the nook_1337rom_xx.zip and reboot.
  8. Follow through normal B&N setup, then boot back into recovery.
  9. Flash Nooter-Part1.zip and reboot back into the OS.
  10. You should be brought to ReLaunch instead of the B&N homescreen.
  11. Open YouTube. Hit Menu -> My channel. At the prompt that appears, tap Add Account.
  12. Sign in with your Google credentials (Gmail and password) and close YouTube.
  13. Open Gmail. Tap menu -> Sync. Gmail will promptly crash (straight to home; no FC or "unfortunate" stop)
  14. Reboot back to CWM again. This time, flash Nooter-Part2.zip.
  15. Reboot again and enjoy!

Upgrade Instructions for coming up from previous versions of the ROM
  1. Download the latest *.zip file and extract it somewhere safe. As a reminder: THIS IS NOT A FLASHABLE FILE
  2. Copy the three contained *.zip files to your SD card.
  3. Reboot into recovery.
  4. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
  5. Flash all three files in this order, without rebooting: nook_1337rom_xx.zip, Nooter-Part1.zip, then Nooter-Part2.zip.
  6. Reboot.

Note - Be sure to check out the 2nd OP for the changelog, planned features, FAQ, and more.

XDA:DevDB Information
1337 ROM, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Touch

Contributors
yattaro, ИΘΘK¡€, javelinanddart
ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread
ROM Firmware Required: B&N OS 1.2.1
Based On: Stock

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.3.4
Beta Release Date: 2015-04-09

Created 2014-11-07
Last Updated 2015-04-11

Attachments

• CAP2014110819461.jpg
    CAP2014110819461.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32,265
  • CAP201411081944.jpg
    CAP201411081944.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 33,331
  • CAP201411081943.jpg
    CAP201411081943.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 32,804
  • CAP201411082158.jpg
    CAP201411082158.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 32,361
  • fK6vie1.png
    fK6vie1.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 31,990
Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

[NST/NSTG][ROM] 1337 ROM [Nov. 6]

2nd OP

Changelog

• Version 1.0 - Alpha (unreleased)
• Version 1.1 - Testing (unreleased)
• Version 1.2 Beta - initial release (see above for details)
• Version 1.3 Beta - added AndroNook Settings, Cupcake/Donut Launcher; removed Fastmode; updated ReLaunch for fixed root permissions (Apr. 7)
• Version 1.3.1 Beta - added USB host and multitouch (Apr. 8)
• Version 1.3.2 Beta - fixed USB host and multitouch with new kernel (Apr. 8)
• Version 1.3.3 Beta - added NoRefresh (Apr. 8)
• Version 1.3.4 Beta - (current) fixed a couple minor bugs (Apr. 9)

To Do

• ADB support (near future!)
Multitouch support
USB host mode support
• init.d support
• Support for 2.3 Gingerbread and beyond
Upload screenshots

Addons/Modifications

• Coming soon - orientation switch via status bar button

FAQ

Q: "What home launcher does this ROM use?" - @DrNO[PL]
A: It uses the ReLaunch launcher.

Q: "Where are the downloadable files?" - @kwyrt
A: Since this thread is a DevDB project, the downloads are in a separate page, which is accessible through a link in the ribbon above the OP.

Q: "Does this project use Android 2.3?" - @dorfd1
A: No, it doesn't - the only reason the 1st OP says it does is because 2.3.x is the lowest Android version allowed in the DevDB system. This ROM uses Android 2.1.

Q: "Will multiple languages be added to this ROM?" - @DrNO[PL]
A: No, they won't, because, believe it or not, it's already a stock feature - you just need root to access it! Here's how:

1. Install the app Termimal Emulator from the Market.
2. Open it, and enter the command
Code:
su

The line should now have a "#" on the far left.
3. Enter the command
Code:
am start -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings

...which launches a hidden settings menu.
4. Tap "Locale Picker[English (United States)]".
5. Choose your language, and enjoy!

Q: "Is this ROM rooted?" - @youxiaojie
A: Yes, it is.

Q: "Are you guys working on an updated ROM that uses 2.3?" - @frap129
A: No, because as of now nobody has been able to update the Android version on the Nook Touch device. 2.1 is the version we are developing for. UPDATE - It's looking like Gingerbread and beyond may be possible for the NST, so the new answer to your question is YES.

Last edited:

yattaro

Jun 27, 2013
Metairie
Last edited:
Reactions: aiamuzz and bisbal

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Download the latest nook_1337rom_xx.zip, Nooter-Part1.zip, and Nooter-Part2.zip (not to be confused with the ones for pinguy1989's ROM) from the links above..

Would love to try this out but I'm not seeing the links for the 1337rom, nooter-part1, and nooter-part2. Am I missing something?

DrNO[PL]

Feb 23, 2011
Cracow
Let us know how/if you like it - and also be sure to report any bugs you find using the DevDB Bug Reports feature, and leave a review using the DevDB Reviews feature!

Just flashed and already like it from the start. New, nice pre-boot and shutdown screens and boot animation. Home is just what I searched for. Let me test it for a day or two. I'll let you know about ups and downs, pros and cons... Review comes afterwards :)
1st question, is there a way to make app drawer to just display icons in 4 columns (with labels or not) instead of 2-column short-list?
2nd are you going to include additional languages similar to HERE?

N

NOOK!E

Just flashed and already like it from the start. New, nice pre-boot and shutdown screens and boot animation. Home is just what I searched for. Let me test it for a day or two. I'll let you know about ups and downs, pros and cons... Review comes afterwards :)
1st question, is there a way to make app drawer to just display icons in 4 columns (with labels or not) instead of 2-column short-list?
2nd are you going to include additional languages similar to HERE?

Glad you're enjoying the ROM!

Answer to 1st question - I bet there is, but I don't know for sure - try messing around with the ReLaunch settings a bit.

Answer to 2nd question - No, we aren't, because, believe it or not, it's already a stock feature - you just need root to access it! Here's how:

1. Install the app Termimal Emulator from the Market.
2. Open it, and enter the command
Code:
su

The line should now have a "#" on the far left.
3. Enter the command
Code:
am start -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings

...which launches a hidden settings menu.
4. Tap "Locale Picker[English (United States)]".
5. Choose your language, and enjoy!

DrNO[PL]

Feb 23, 2011
Cracow
1. I'll try searching
2. nope... there's no Polish :/ only mainstream ones that can be chosen also from normal nook Settings

DrNO[PL]

Feb 23, 2011
Cracow
Hmm. Well, I don't think we're planning on adding that, but I'll talk to @yattaro and see what he says.

Would be nice, but that's not a show stopper.

Rom still did not crash, launcher resterted only once, but it can be my fault. Works smooth and fast. Good job! :cowboy:
Yet I have not opened even one book :silly: lol

In the mean time I've added some, in my opinion, bugs.

I'm going to die now... See you tomorrow ;)

yattaro

Jun 27, 2013
Metairie
Would be nice, but that's not a show stopper.

Rom still did not crash, launcher resterted only once, but it can be my fault. Works smooth and fast. Good job! :cowboy:
Yet I have not opened even one book :silly: lol

In the mean time I've added some, in my opinion, bugs.

I'm going to die now... See you tomorrow ;)
I might look into swapping the settings.apk and merging the functionality in framework-res.apk in that mod you posted. You might be able to flash that mod straight over this, but you'll lose a lot of the theming that @thenookieforlife3 originally added, notably the status bar.

youxiaojie

Mar 20, 2014
does it be rooted , support init.d and app2sd?

1st OP

Welcome, fellow Nook users, to the future of the Nook Simple Touch! We present to you: 1337 ROM!

Features

1. Install Clockworkmod Recovery (to internal memory, not the SD Card) according to this thread.
  2. Download the latest nook_1337rom_xx.zip, Nooter-Part1.zip, and Nooter-Part2.zip (not to be confused with the ones for pinguy1989's ROM) from the links above.
  3. Copy all three *.zip files to the SD Card or internal memory.
  4. Boot to Clockworkmod by rebooting and holding the bottom left and right buttons at the "Your Nook is Starting Up" screen.
  5. Flash the nook_1337rom_xx.zip and reboot.
  6. Follow through normal B&N setup, then boot back into recovery.
  7. Flash Nooter-Part1.zip and reboot back into the OS.
  8. You should be brought to ReLaunch instead of the B&N homescreen.
  9. Open YouTube. Hit Menu -> My channel. At the prompt that appears, tap Add Account.
  10. Sign in with your Google credentials (Gmail and password) and close YouTube.
  11. Open Gmail. Tap menu -> Sync. Gmail will promptly crash.
  12. Reboot back to CWM again. This time, flash Nooter-Part2.zip.
  13. Reboot again and enjoy!

Note - Don't forget to thank both of the OPs, not just this first one!

Contributors
yattaro, thenookieforlife3

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.2
Beta Release Date: 2014-11-06

Created 2014-11-07
Last Updated 2014-11-12

N

NOOK!E

It is rooted.
It does not support init.d yet, but we're working on it.
If App2SD works on any other regular rooted Nook, it works just fine for this ROM, too.

By the way, next time, please don't quote the OP, and save all of us from ESD (Excessive Scrolling Disorder). Also, please edit your post and delete the [quote][/quote] tags and everything in between them.

Last edited:

frap129

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2013
It is rooted.
It does not support init.d yet, but we're working on it.
If App2SD works on any other regular rooted Nook, it works just fine for this ROM, too.

By the way, next time, please don't quote the OP, and save all of us from ESD (Excessive Scrolling Disorder). Also, please edit your post and delete the (quote][/quote] tags and everything in between them.
Are you guys working on compiling an updated ROM? I noticed all the changed files are included in the source other than the device tree, so I may try compiling 2.3, and if that works, higher.

Reactions: DrNO[PL]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1st OP

This ROM is made for both the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight using software version 1.2.1.

Features

2. Download the latest version of the ROM from the Downloads section. THESE ARE NOT FLASHABLE FILES.
    3. Extract the package to an accessible location. You should have three *.zip files.
    4. Copy all three *.zip files to the SD Card or internal memory.
    5. Boot to Clockworkmod by rebooting and holding the bottom left and right buttons at the "Your Nook is Starting Up" screen.
    6. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
    7. Flash the nook_1337rom_xx.zip and reboot.
    8. Follow through normal B&N setup, then boot back into recovery.
    9. Flash Nooter-Part1.zip and reboot back into the OS.
    10. You should be brought to ReLaunch instead of the B&N homescreen.
    11. Open YouTube. Hit Menu -> My channel. At the prompt that appears, tap Add Account.
    12. Sign in with your Google credentials (Gmail and password) and close YouTube.
    13. Open Gmail. Tap menu -> Sync. Gmail will promptly crash (straight to home; no FC or "unfortunate" stop)
    14. Reboot back to CWM again. This time, flash Nooter-Part2.zip.
    15. Reboot again and enjoy!

Upgrade Instructions for coming up from previous versions of the ROM
    1. Download the latest *.zip file and extract it somewhere safe. As a reminder: THIS IS NOT A FLASHABLE FILE
    2. Copy the three contained *.zip files to your SD card.
    3. Reboot into recovery.
    4. Wipe /system (mounts & storage > format /system > Yes)
    5. Flash all three files in this order, without rebooting: nook_1337rom_xx.zip, Nooter-Part1.zip, then Nooter-Part2.zip.
    6. Reboot.

Note - Be sure to check out the 2nd OP for the changelog, planned features, FAQ, and more.

Contributors
    yattaro, ИΘΘK¡€, javelinanddart

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.3.4
    Beta Release Date: 2015-04-09

Created 2014-11-07
    Last Updated 2015-04-11
    Would love to try this out but I'm not seeing the links for the 1337rom, nooter-part1, and nooter-part2. Am I missing something?

It's a DevDB project. Look above the OP.
    Hey sorry I've been gone for a while again. I think I'll have to drop this ROM myself. I really do want to be an active member of the community, but I've just got no time for full development on my end. I thought I could make the time, but I couldn't because my family wants me to spend more time with them. The Nook was an interesting platform to build on, but it's also pretty finicky compared to the new Nexus 6 I just got, and it's more work than it's worth for me.
    Can you post some screenshots?
    Which homeapp is used? I'm asking as the one in [NST/NSTG][ROM] Tweaked Modded ROM [Feb16] is restarting / falling into refresh loop with some of my books, which is a bit annoying :)

It uses ReLaunch. Give me about an hour and I can throw together some screenies.

Edit: they're up now! Sorry for the delay. Check up top.
    Some pretty nice sounding bug fixes and features, but maybe not fixes for our root issues.
    For root access you can try latest Main_test.apk on 101 page

Most recent changelog for stable:
    - rewritten panels management
    - updated English translation (tivasyk)
    - full new icons(krakozawr)
    - numerous code rewrites
    - added FTP support
    - added panels management
    - updated English translation (tivasyk)
    - revised OPDS code
    - minor fixes and improvements
    - numerous code rewrites