[NST/NSTG][ROM] Tweaked Modded ROM Final [RETIRED][Jun23-2015]

Search This thread

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
This is a tweaked versions of the official UK 1.2.1 firmware (works with all devices, not just UK ones. Go to Settings > *Development > Locale Picker: to change local to United States).

Changes Made to nook_1_2_update.zip:
  • Busybox and init.d support.
  • Forced all rendering to be done on the GPU.
  • Chainfire3D drivers added.
  • Kick Ass Kernelizer
  • fixalign -ZipAlign & Fix Permissions on boot.
  • vac - Runs SQLite VACUUM & REINDEX to optimize databases
  • improved rendering of images and text.
  • OptiPNGed and Zipped all system apks.
  • Plus many improvements taken from this thread and many others.

To install:
Thats it!
Once everything is installed leave it for about 5 minutes to let the device optimize all the apps and get everything setup (it will probably reboot).

Bugs:
The B&N Welcome screen will flicker. Tap the power button to get rid of it.

Tip: To bring up the list of apps installed in EpubBrowser, swipe a clockwise circle starting at 10 O'clock.

Once everything has settled down open the NookColor Tools app and un-tick then tick Non-Market apps so you can side load apps.

To be able to download apks from the Play Store and side load them onto the Nook, use this site: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/
Remember the Nook is running Android 2.1 Éclair (API level 7), so any apps needing a newer version of Android won't load.

You can also grab this package of apps I put together that work with the NST:
http://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/themes-apps/share-setup-t3143404

Here is a video of my personal setup:

What I enabled:
  • nook_1_2_update.zip - This is just an optimized version of the default UK ROM with init.d+Busybox.
  • EpubBrowser+Apps.zip - This will replace the Home with EpubBrowser and includes Cleanmaster, Calculator, Clearscreen, Email, ES File, ScreenRotator & Opera.
  • USB-Audio+FastMode+Host.zip - Also enables ROOT/SU - Install this after logging into your B&N account. If you install it before you won't be able to register with B&N.

If you have under 50% battery life the USB sound dongle will cut out. So make sure you have plenty of battery life.

Thanks to :
latuk for the Kernel.
NFHimself for the EpubBrowser home screen.
antsm for Extended power menu
ИΘΘK¡€ for AndroNook Settings

Attachments

• USB-Audio+FastMode+Host-CWM.v2.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 195
  • SuperUser-CWM.zip
    275.9 KB · Views: 133
  • ReLaunch+Apps-CWM.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 205
  • EpubBrowser+Apps-CWM.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Mnurlan

Feb 1, 2013
Almaty, Kazakhstan
2 pinguy1982
Thank you for this perfected ROM, will try it at some point later.
A question if I may: While booting push and hold the lower left and the lower right buttons until you see CWM - this means that you have to write the CWM image to SD card again, after formatting it? And then copy those two Nooter-zip files onto SD card with CWM image? Sorry if my questions looks silly here.

Last edited:

Tarnak

Jan 2, 2012
How compatible it's with NSTG and its glow functionality?

Good work, at least complete ROM for NST:]

northender

Dec 11, 2010
Have installed the ROM and nooter files, but my home screen continuously refreshes. Any idea why?
Also tried the separate replacement home file on top of the rooted ROM and it still keeps refreshing.
No books are shown in the 6 rectangular boxes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Have installed the ROM and nooter files, but my home screen continuously refreshes. Any idea why?
Also tried the separate replacement home file on top of the rooted ROM and it still keeps refreshing.
No books are shown in the 6 rectangular boxes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

I had the same issue with the Home. What I did to fix it was to find out what book was having issues generating a thumbnail images and changed the cover to a different one using Calibre.

You could also manually add the thumbnail images yourself. You do this by coping the image from Calibre library and renaming it the same as the title of the book.

If you just can't get it to work then replace the Home with this: Home.zip - 553.42 KB
You just flash it within CWM.

Last edited:

ashish2k4.dce

Aug 19, 2012
just one question bro...how u managed to bring colors to our black and white nook simple touch? how u made this magic happen?:fingers-crossed::cowboy: that means we can also read colorful comic strips on it now :laugh:

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
I wish I could figure this out myself, but I just don't know that much about android. :crying:

So here is my question.

I already have a NST and a NSTG rooted with NookManager. Is there anyway to just install this kernel and get the optimizations to run without going through the entire process above?

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Hi,
I have installed this room with Nook_Replacment_Home.zip not Nooter-partx.zip because I don't need Gapps.
But I don't find a way to view all the apps on the nook.
I only have the home screen with my book.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Hi,
I have installed this room with Nook_Replacment_Home.zip not Nooter-partx.zip because I don't need Gapps.
But I don't find a way to view all the apps on the nook.
I only have the home screen with my book.

Solved:
To bring up the list of apps installed, swipe a clockwise circle starting at 10 O'clock. Touch an app to launch it, left or right swipe to go back to main screen.

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Fastmode2 does work and is included with the ROM.
Maybe in full version of your rom with Nooter-Partx and Gapps.
I have the light install without Nooter-part. If I install and start fastmode2 it don't do anything on my NST. Maybey the kernel is not the same or not rooted with the light version of this rom.

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Maybe in full version of your rom with Nooter-Partx and Gapps.
I have the light install without Nooter-part. If I install and start fastmode2 it don't do anything on my NST. Maybey the kernel is not the same or not rooted with the light version of this rom.

Install Nooter-Part2 to get Fastmode working. It is a different kernel that enables Fastmode,.

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Install Nooter-Part2 to get Fastmode working. It is a different kernel that enables Fastmode,.

Thanks, I will try tonight.
One more question:
I want to use my NST without uSD card. But UC Browser (and other apps) only see /sdcard and sub-directory as download destination. But I want to download to /media directory.
Any idea workaround?

Top Liked Posts