[NST]Touch-Formatter v2 [Factory restore, reset, update to 1.1 merged]

Search This thread

MTKnife

Jun 15, 2010
I've been trying to take my Touch back to stock before changing ROM's, and I just can't get either this method or n2T (both versions) to work: with both of them, no matter what I do, can't get into factory restore, but have CWM come up instead (and not automatically, either--I have to hold down the bottom buttons). Furthermore, at this point, I can't even get the thing to boot past the "Read Forever" screen anymore--unless I boot into CWM--nor, for that matter, can I even turn it off (I can only reboot).

Is there anything I can do at this point?

UPDATE: Since I could get to CWM, I flashed install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip, and was able to enter factory recovery and do a factory reset. I still, however, can't boot--and I tried both versions of n2T again, too, but no change, even after doing another factor reset. :(

Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
I've been trying to take my Touch back to stock before changing ROM's, and I just can't get either this method or n2T (both versions) to work: with both of them, no matter what I do, can't get into factory restore, but have CWM come up instead

By your description I take it you had CWM Recovery installed, and it's clearly stated in the CWM thread that CWM Recovery replaces the stock recovery which this tool and also the n2T-Recovery tool uses.

By using these tools on a device with CWM Recovery I'm pretty sure something got ****ed up, and this case is best redirected to the CWM thread.

MTKnife

Jun 15, 2010
By your description I take it you had CWM Recovery installed, and it's clearly stated in the CWM thread that CWM Recovery replaces the stock recovery which this tool and also the n2T-Recovery tool uses.

By using these tools on a device with CWM Recovery I'm pretty sure something got ****ed up, and this case is best redirected to the CWM thread.

I'm confused--this tool uses the CWM-based recovery, and n2T doesn't use any recovery at all (it boots directly from the disk).

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Well, that was an easy fix....It looks like the battery was low. I plugged in the USB cord and rebooted again, and the thing went straight into a factory reset, then booted normally. Doh.

Yay, now I don't have to tell my wife I destroyed the toy she bought me for Christmas.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
I'm confused--this tool uses the CWM-based recovery, and n2T doesn't use any recovery at all (it boots directly from the disk).
TouchFormatter should be used form a SD-Card with CWM, because both n2T and TouchFormatter just tell the stock recovery to reset the device.
As also written in the first post from the Clockwork recovery, for normal users there is no need to replace the stock recovery with CWM, its much better to use a sdcard with CWM on it. Maybe I should remove the zip which replaces the stock recovery.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Well, that was an easy fix....It looks like the battery was low. I plugged in the USB cord and rebooted again, and the thing went straight into a factory reset, then booted normally. Doh.

Yay, now I don't have to tell my wife I destroyed the toy she bought me for Christmas.
If you haven't done it already, now would be a good moment to make a backup http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142983 !

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Yeah, I normally do a NAND backup with Android devices (which is one reason I wanted CWM on there), though I can't recall if I had done one in this case. Mind you, it wouldn't have helped with this problem. :p

Have you read the first post from the CWM Thread ?
Making a backup with CWM only includes the following partitions: boot, system, data, cache. It doesn't include the /rom partition which contains data thats unique for every device. Use this backup method to make a full device backup.

MTKnife

Jun 15, 2010
Have you read the first post from the CWM Thread ?

More than once, but I'm not sure why you ask--as you said above, I fixed the problem already. Yes, I know the post says the CWM-based recovery isn't necessarily needed by everyone, but I prefer to use that method to clear cache and Dalvik-cache, and at least some ROM's and other mods can be flashed in CWM--which, to me, is preferable to wearing out my SD Card by putting disk images on it repeatedly (not to mention the inconvenience of having to copy and then restore all the stuff on it).

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
I just wanted to make it clear, that a CWM-Backup isn't enough, because the /rom and /factory partitions don't get backed up by CWM.

If you want to replace your stock recovery with CWM, than thats fine, but you should know the restrictions when you try to use the factory restore or the deregister functions.

MTKnife

Jun 15, 2010
I've already got a backup of the ROM partition. Do you know if the beta5 version of MinimalTouch backs up those two partitions?

wajanus

Jan 4, 2011
Houston
about.me
I've been trying to take my Touch back to stock before changing ROM's, and I just can't get either this method or n2T (both versions) to work: with both of them, no matter what I do, can't get into factory restore, but have CWM come up instead (and not automatically, either--I have to hold down the bottom buttons). Furthermore, at this point, I can't even get the thing to boot past the "Read Forever" screen anymore--unless I boot into CWM--nor, for that matter, can I even turn it off (I can only reboot).

Is there anything I can do at this point?

UPDATE: Since I could get to CWM, I flashed install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip, and was able to enter factory recovery and do a factory reset. I still, however, can't boot--and I tried both versions of n2T again, too, but no change, even after doing another factor reset. :(

Can you tell me what you did exactly? I got the NST back when it came out, flashed it with Touchnooter and basically "bricked" it. I could "boot up" into a makeshift recovery that was on the forum a few months ago (removed root) but it didn't help and then I could boot up CWR, I was SO excited. It was amazing. but since I have the 1.0 version, I can't really use the 1.1 recovery. I'm just trying to emulate your process.

mirandaz

Aug 4, 2010
Bucharest
Hello. I have a problem.
My partitions are all messed up and i was hoping i might use this tool to restore the nook. I am able to boot with the CWM micro SD card but when i try to select choose zip from sd card it says E:can't mount /sdcard/.
Any ideas ? Thanks for your time and thank you, eded333, for programming this tool.

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
really great one step solution. I bricked my nook and tried a lot of things but all doesn't help, until I found this. It saved my nook and upgrade the firmware, cool tool!!

tilt2

Oct 29, 2009
Kansas City
Any updates coming?

Hello, I've tried everything I could find to get my NST to boot past the "Reading forever" screen. As a last ditch effort I erased the entire nook, needless to say now I'm unable to mount the emmc or anything else in order to use the N2T-Recovery. I didn't run across that tool until I'd already jacked my NST up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom

paulspiteri

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks for this - very helpful. I wanted to restore my nook to stock because overall it's a great reader and nothing more.
Cheers

cy80rg

Mar 16, 2005
Re-installed VIA CWM - all worked, but not rebooting?

Hi guys,

Ran CWM flash and install as per this guide.

Install completes, remove SD and select to Reboot.

Comes up with the following, then stays on black text command screen - showing recent commands culmintaing in reboot request...
"
Install from SD Card complete.
E: Cant mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Cant open /cache/recovery/log
E: Cant mount /cache/recover/last_log
E: Cant open /cache/recover/last_log
E: Cant mount /cache/recover/log
E: Cant open /cache/recover/log
E: Cant mount /cache/recover/last_log
E: Cant open /cache/recover/last_log
Rebooting...
"

I'll try manual power cycle...

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Just seen the bit about
"
If CWM hangs while rebooting, dont worry, force shutdown, and start your nook again, nothing bad happens.
"

Unfortunately, "Force shutdown" by holding power in doesnt work - holding it for 20 secs plus doesnt power off?

Hoping when it runs out of batts (which shouldnt be long - CWM screen is "grey text on black" - which I believe is full power?) this'll reboot and all good?

THX

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
I have a question about this tool:
does it just format partitions or does it recreate the all partition table?

I have modified the size of some partition on my nook. What is the minimal size of /system and /cach to install 1.1 factory with this tool?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
It only reformats the 3 partitions /cache, /data, and /system; then flashes 1.1 ROM onto /system (I am not sure if anything gets flashed onto /data).

You can find the partition sizing of a stock NST at http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_stock_partition_table -- according to it ~300MB for /system. To get a sense of how much space is really needed to hold the ROM I'd suggest inspecting the uncompressed size of the content of the stock FW update.zip from BN.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts