• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

NTFS support for OTG drives.

Search This thread

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
I've found that Zenfone 2 has native support for NTFS and even support write! It has kernel module and even tools to check and format for NTFS.

But strangely, NTFS support is blocked in vold (auto-mounting service). I've made patch to allow NTFS volume mounting. This patch is not 100% safe because it doesn't check NTFS volume before mounting. So, it checks for exFAT (and mount if succeed) then check for FAT/FAT32 (and mount if succeed), and then blindly tries to mount NTFS (it will refuse to mount if it's not NTFS but won't detect errors if they exist on disk).

how to install:
1) You need root.
2) unpack attached archive and replace /system/bin/vold
3) set permissions 755 (rwxr-xr-x): chmod 755 /system/bin/vold
4) reboot

Patched vold is compatible with Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML, ZE550ML), Zenfone 5 (BETA Lollipop FW) and probably other Zenfone versions.

Attachments

• vold_with_ntfs.zip
    98.3 KB · Views: 4,363

dineshdotcom2000

Oct 31, 2007
I have Pre-Order 32GB 4GB Ram ZP2. I wanted to know how much GB OTG supported by ZP2. Will it support my 1TB Portable HD???

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
I have Pre-Order 32GB 4GB Ram ZP2. I wanted to know how much GB OTG supported by ZP2. Will it support my 1TB Portable HD???
Main purpose of OTG is support for so called "USB sticks". HD drive will require additional non-portable external power and may be special Y-cable which will prevent drawing power from phone (and use external power). So, this will be the main problem of using HDD (Not sure about power consumption of 1TB flash drive and if phone can power it). You have to be careful. Don't overload USB power provided by phone. If phone has not enough overload protection, you can damage USB port.

As for disk size, it shouldn't be a problem because it's handles by Linux kernel.

hapticc

May 4, 2010
New Delhi
I've found that Zenfone 2 has native support for NTFS and even support write! It has kernel module and even tools to check and format for NTFS.

But strangely, NTFS support is blocked in vold (auto-mounting service). I've made patch to allow NTFS volume mounting. This patch is not 100% safe because it doesn't check NTFS volume before mounting. So, it checks for exFAT (and mount if succeed) then check for FAT/FAT32 (and mount if succeed), and then blindly tries to mount NTFS (it will refuse to mount if it's not NTFS but won't detect errors if they exist on disk).

how to install:
1) You need root.
4) reboot

Patched vold is compatible with Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML, ZE550ML), Zenfone 5 (BETA Lollipop FW) and probably other Zenfone versions.

Really nice awaiting Flipkart to ship my Zenfone 2 and will report how it works with external HDD and Pendrives

EnzoDC

Feb 27, 2014
Will rooting my phone void my capability to update to Asus Zenfone 2's software updates?

adhiduzz

May 6, 2013
Main purpose of OTG is support for so called "USB sticks". HD drive will require additional non-portable external power and may be special Y-cable which will prevent drawing power from phone (and use external power). So, this will be the main problem of using HDD (Not sure about power consumption of 1TB flash drive and if phone can power it). You have to be careful. Don't overload USB power provided by phone. If phone has not enough overload protection, you can damage USB port.

As for disk size, it shouldn't be a problem because it's handles by Linux kernel.

works flawlessly for normal usage :D

Neo_N5

Apr 30, 2014
Lyon
Keep in mind that it'll slowly deteriorate and one day will completely be dead. Hard drives shouldn't be connected to phones. They require a lot more power than provided by the port.
You can also use an OTG with 3rd party power source like this one

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

can i ask where i can found rooting instructions for My Zen2? thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using XDA Free mobile app

Here => http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone2/general/asus-zenfone-2-flashing-recovery-mode-t3096596

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Will rooting my phone void my capability to update to Asus Zenfone 2's software updates?

See here, it will depend on which method you use.

bratski

Jan 30, 2006
I followed the instructions here, replaced the vold file, altering permissions. However after rebooting my phone cannot mount the sd card anymore. I tried factory reset and formatting the sd card. still no go. Do you guys have the orignal vold file so i can revert things back to normal?

mhp1995

Jan 5, 2014
New Delhi

gavin19

Jan 9, 2014
Belfast
I followed the instructions here, replaced the vold file, altering permissions. However after rebooting my phone cannot mount the sd card anymore. I tried factory reset and formatting the sd card. still no go. Do you guys have the orignal vold file so i can revert things back to normal?

Yeah, same here. Tried two different USB sticks (Kingston Micro 16GB USB2/Corsair Slider 64GB USB3) and neither worked with NTFS. Shame. Both worked fine with exFAT too.

Minim3

May 3, 2008
Mine works fine with OTG cable on a Lexar 64GB USB stick unpowered, no issues. You do need a "Y" OTG cable to run an external drive though, they are cheap on eBay. No need to root your phone to do this.

ansebovi

Yes.
I won't be at home till end of June, so i won't be able to test NTFS usb drive, but exFAT usb and internal SD card mounted without problem.

may be restorecon command execution required after vold replacement (to restore selinux attributes). Depend on how you replace it.

sorg there is a mistake in ur instructions
ur instruction made the sd unusable..[but pendrives,internal works and ntfs works]
we need to change owner and se context
to have sd card working
SE cntext shuld point the vold.exec
and owner should be root and group should be shell
and there is an issue by this..vold is hidden opr moved from bin..
but everything now works, SD,pendrives with ntfs

gavin19

Jan 9, 2014
Belfast

Is it just a matter of changing the owner/group or did you edit the vold itself? If so, can you upload it somewhere so I can grab it? I share my pendrive(s) between a few different devices and the only file format that works on all of them is NTFS.

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
ur instruction made the sd unusable..[but pendrives,internal works and ntfs works]
to have sd card working

Just read my post you quoted. I've already told, you need to restore SELinux attributes using restorecon utility.
This modified vold is a part of other modifications together wuth SuperSU and Xposed i'm using to create pre-modified system.img where all generic and SELinux attributes are applied at building stage.

Reactions: ansebovi

ansebovi

Just read my post you quoted. I've already told, you need to restore SELinux attributes using restorecon utility.
This modified vold is a part of other modifications together wuth SuperSU and Xposed i'm using to create pre-modified system.img where all generic and SELinux attributes are applied at building stage.

my bad didnt read that part..but can you edit the op with this infos,it may help others who got issue like mine..and thanks for ntfs :)
i need 1 hlep btw,..after editing the SE ,the vold is not in bin..why is that? [everything works perfectly btw]

Is it just a matter of changing the owner/group or did you edit the vold itself? If so, can you upload it somewhere so I can grab it? I share my pendrive(s) between a few different devices and the only file format that works on all of them is NTFS.

ya just SE context and owner as given in my last post ..i didnt modify anything in vold..btw i just used rootexplorer[or if u know about restorcon,do it..need some commands ]

Reactions: rezatoune

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

how to install:
    1) You need root.
    4) reboot

are u using this in latest update of 2.18?
    Yes.
    I won't be at home till end of June, so i won't be able to test NTFS usb drive, but exFAT usb and internal SD card mounted without problem.

may be restorecon command execution required after vold replacement (to restore selinux attributes). Depend on how you replace it.
    to have sd card working

my bad didnt read that part..but can you edit the op with this infos,it may help others who got issue like mine..and thanks for ntfs :)
    i need 1 hlep btw,..after editing the SE ,the vold is not in bin..why is that? [everything works perfectly btw]

ya just SE context and owner as given in my last post ..i didnt modify anything in vold..btw i just used rootexplorer[or if u know about restorcon,do it..need some commands ]