NTFS Support

Search This thread

EL Loco 2

Sep 7, 2009
I can't install the apk

get: Application not installed

and yes I am rooted checked with root check, have more than 1Gb free space,
have the same problem with some other apps too???

GeneralSmart

Jan 16, 2011
Gallneukirchen
  1. Follow the "How to root the Iconia A500" guide
  2. Install the NTFS Mount app on the first page
  3. Plugin NTFS USB External HDD/Thumbdrive
  4. Launch NTFS Mount
  5. Select drive (sd*)
  6. Click mount button
  7. Navigate to /mnt/usb_storage in a file manager

I dont understand...i rooted Acer A500, isntalled apk can start it, getting su-rights, but dont find any of my ntfs memory sticks....:confused: is it just supporting hdds???

hellcat82

May 11, 2010
Melbourne
Can you try this in a terminal windows

Code:
ls /dev/block

Do the above without and without the thumbdrive plugged in and report the differences.

For example if I plug my NTFS thumbdrive in the extra items I get are:
sda
sda1

Last edited:

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Update

I've manage to pack all the needed files into an apk so you no longer need to mess around with adding files to system/xbin. Obviously you still need root.

Instructions
  1. Install APK
  2. Connect HDD
  3. Launch app
  4. Select device
  5. Click Mount

Any hassles let me know.

Totally Awsome. I didn't realize it didn't have NTFS support when I bought it and was intending to use an ext hd with my kids vidoes on them. This works GREAT! Thank you so much.

Do you take feature requests? With a usb hub, it actually recognizes additional usb drives (sda1, sdb1, etc.) Would it be difficult to allow custom mount points for NTFS drives. Perhaps mount sda1 as /mnt/sda1 and sdb1 as /mnt/sdb1, etc. That leaves usb_storage open for a FAT32 drive. Then we would be able to copy files from one drive to another..

Thanks

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I posted about this a while ago. For some reason you need more than 1 gigabyte of free space to install applications. Free up some space and try again.

Yes, I noticed this too and confirmed by adding and removing to the 1gb free threshold. I wonder if this is a bug or a Honeycomb constraint due to dynamic storage? Apple aint' go this problem... Just sayin'. My iPod 4 64gb has 712mb free ATM.

Be interesting to know if this is a bug or how Honeycomb rolls.

hellcat82

May 11, 2010
Melbourne
Do you take feature requests? With a usb hub, it actually recognizes additional usb drives (sda1, sdb1, etc.) Would it be difficult to allow custom mount points for NTFS drives. Perhaps mount sda1 as /mnt/sda1 and sdb1 as /mnt/sdb1, etc. That leaves usb_storage open for a FAT32 drive. Then we would be able to copy files from one drive to another..

Thanks

I originally wanted to add multiple mount points, but time got the best of me so I packaged what I had. When I get a few minutes spare I'll have a go at implementing what you have suggested.

butterflygirl

May 5, 2011
I originally wanted to add multiple mount points, but time got the best of me so I packaged what I had. When I get a few minutes spare I'll have a go at implementing what you have suggested.

Thanks so much, this works great! Any way to do same for ext3/4? (I know...I'm just getting greedy now;))

Vereynn

Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Works like a champ for me, other than I get Unmount Failed: when I try to dismount the drive I'm testing with. No errors or consistency failures when I plugged it back into my Windows box, so I'm guessing it unmounted on the drive side but a handle got left open somewhere on the tablet for a little bit.

GeneralSmart

Jan 16, 2011
Gallneukirchen
do i need to type stuff in any kind of terminal or just like the tutorial says: root, install apk and mount?
Edit: got it working now...dunno what the problem was....

Last edited:

filnet

Mar 10, 2006
Perfect, full access to my external 500 GB HD, no more copying for some of my less frequently used files.

JackMetal

Dec 10, 2008
Many thanks for this! Works great. Quick question: Is there any way to 'automate' the mounting just like for fat drives?

Now, if I could just get access to ext3/ext4 and TrueCrypt containers, I'd be perfect! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NTFS Mount

NTFS Mount

I've manage to pack all the needed files into an apk so you no longer need to mess around with adding files to system/xbin and writing up scripts.

Please see the market for the latest version (Now called drive mount)

https://market.android.com/details?id=au.dach.drivemount

As above there could be some problems with the Tiamat rom and I'll look into it as I get further information.

Root is still needed

Instructions
    1. Install APK
    2. Connect HDD
    3. Launch app
    4. Select device
    5. Click Mount

Any hassles let me know.

Version 1.3 has the ability to mount NTFS microsd cards by turning off device filtering. It also has the ability to mount multiple formats.

Thanks

Hi,
    I really miss the missing NTFS support. My 2,5" 500GB portable hard drive would be perfect for the A500, but some files are over 4GB (MKVs for example)
    Please make a Custom Rom, that supports this.
    Thanks in advance!
    Simple answer it cant be done as NTFS is MS closed source. the the movies smaller if u need it. thats what i did with my 1TB drive.
    Some USB self powered drives will work fine. Some will not. Just depends on how much power the drive requires. This is also the case on many laptops and why some drives come with a Y connector so you can attach two USB ports to provide power