[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

Search This thread

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Unfortunately GlowNooter 1.12.25 with my Nook Simple Touch 1.2.1 didn't seem to like each other.

I can get through the installation process fine.

Youtube signing fine, Gmail syncs (and I can read my mail).

Market launches fine - though any attempt at search yields no response and no result.

When I try to launch Opera, nothing happens. Same with Super Manager.
But you can tell that they have launched (and not just FCed) as you can press the home button for a while to bring up the list of currently running apps.

Wondering if the framework.jar is incompatible between Glow and no-Glow.

Problems old as this forum.
- Replace "Opera Mini" with "Opera Mobile"
- Use "youten.redo.searchmarket.apk" to search for Apk's in google play.
- Reinstall "Super Manager".

Reactions: wozhere

Jiv_au

Apr 15, 2011
Problems old as this forum.
- Replace "Opera Mini" with "Opera Mobile"

Thanks for that.

But I now have some apps that no longer work in this NST / GlowNooter version.
- Vertical Text Viewer (Japanese reader). Starts fine, can go to menu, but will not load aozora txt files. Only displays user manual after trying to load.
- NOOK PDF. Same. Starts fine. Try to load a PDF, and yet it just doesn't load.

I'm wondering if this has to do with some kinda permission stuff up on my part....

ED: Tried using various app to install apps (side-load?) but haven't been successful.... Installing apps through Market works (using SearchMarket), as well as installing apps by using my desktop computer to choose which apps to installing into my NST.

ED2: Also have been using SSHDroid to copy .apk files to /system/app folder, which has so far worked in installing apps. (e.g. nookmodmanager)

Last edited:

hugothebas

Nov 30, 2011
Curitiba
Would this work on 1.1.5 firmware? should it?

I have a NST Glowlight with that one, did all the steps described at the topic, by the way, I have quite an experience using CWM, so I installed the zip (glownooter-1-12-25.zip from https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip), removed the sd card and rebooted my device, but it remains stuck at the "read forever... ...starting up your nook..." screen.

I restored from a previous backup, so everything is working, but I'd really like to install this GlowNooter.

Can someone help me finding what's wrong?

EDIT: I've tried flashing the zip a couple of times, always same problem.

EDIT2: I've flashed glownooter-1-5-26.zip and it works, so i assume the problem is within the newer version, Do I have to update my stock firmware?

EDIT3: Updated to 1.2.1 firmware, then i managed to install glownooter-1-12-25.zip, everything working now, my conclusion is: glownooter-1-5-26 is for 1.1.5 firmware and glownooter-1-12-25 is for 2.1.2. Now I just have the same problem as everyone else, market search, youtube, etc...

Thanks! (Sorry for bad english)

Hugo Thebas

Last edited:

heapish

Aug 11, 2012
Keep getting network error 401 on the youtube step :/
Wireless is connected.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Still does it but everything else works. Nevermind!

bitnerd

Dec 11, 2010
Hi. I just installed GlowNooter on top of 1.2.1. All seems to be working fine except for installing packages from third party sources. When I try to install from Amazon or some apks I've collected I get this error

Out of space
Free up some space and try again

I went into NookColorTools, de-selected Allow Non-Market Apps, and selected it again but that doesn't seem to have any effect on this problem. I see a few others that have had the same problem when I search around but don't seem to find a solution. Any ideas what I should do?

Oh, and a df shows plenty of space left and packages install fine from either the Market or "adb install"

Nevermind. Although my search didn't show it to me the NookManager install had the same problem when using the 1.2 firmware. I installed their PackageInstaller.apk and all works great now

Last edited:
Nevermind. Although my search didn't show it to me the NookManager install had the same problem when using the 1.2 firmware. I installed their PackageInstaller.apk and all works great now

I'm having the same problem sideloading apps. But I don't understand how you installed the PackageInstaller.apk when you can't sideload apps... seems like a catch22.

How did you get the PackageInstaller.apk to install?!?

Last edited:

bitnerd

Dec 11, 2010
I'm having the same problem sideloading apps. But I don't understand how you installed the PackageInstaller.apk when you can't sideload apps... seems like a catch22.

How did you get the PackageInstaller.apk to install?!?

I didn't actually install it - I replaced it with adb by just copying the original elsewhere and overwriting it with the one from NookManager. I then rebooted and all was good

Reactions: Tom2112

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown
How do I boot to CWM?

I've followed instructions as carefully as possible, but I feel like I must be missing something. No matter how I try, I can't figure out how to get my nook to boot from the sdcard after I've written the image (so I can go on flashing files). I have a fair bit of experience with Linux, Android, and Android hacking, but I feel like my brain must just not be working here. Something tells me I'm making a noob mistake.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I've followed instructions as carefully as possible, but I feel like I must be missing something. No matter how I try, I can't figure out how to get my nook to boot from the sdcard after I've written the image (so I can go on flashing files). I have a fair bit of experience with Linux, Android, and Android hacking, but I feel like my brain must just not be working here. Something tells me I'm making a noob mistake.

http://code.google.com/p/nst-recovery/downloads/detail?name=sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2.zip&can=2&q=

dd if=~/2gb_clockwork-rc2.img of=/dev/your_sd

if it does not work there is something wrong with your uSD.

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown

pickled

Jun 10, 2007
Hmm. The SD seems fine. Both my nook and phone recognize it. Terminal output indicates that it wrote the image successfully. But my nook just boots normally with the sdcard inserted.

I had exactly the same problem. I bought a new card reader and that seemed to make it work ( I was using my phone before as an external usb and it didn't seem to like that)

apkraven

Jan 29, 2011
stuck at boot

i'm new to nook community, but i have quite big experience with android devices and such. i'm stuck at the first boot after glownooter install from cwm. i guess i could f*ck up as i didn't check which version my simpletouch with glowlight has. i thought the process is so bulletproof that even didn't backup. can anyone point me to the process of clean rom revert or maybe some other tip?

the device easily reboots into the cwm when i install the microsd. otherwise stuck at boot.

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
i'm new to nook community, but i have quite big experience with android devices and such. i'm stuck at the first boot after glownooter install from cwm. i guess i could f*ck up as i didn't check which version my simpletouch with glowlight has. i thought the process is so bulletproof that even didn't backup. can anyone point me to the process of clean rom revert or maybe some other tip?

the device easily reboots into the cwm when i install the microsd. otherwise stuck at boot.

This post draws some conlusions over which version of Glownooter should be used with which Nook software release.

Still, here's a good link for full reset options; at least the Nook retains a complete copy of the factory ROM internally so that, if rooting isn't bulletproof, factory reset is!

Also, once you're rooted, do take heed that there are a few cleanups you'll need to make.

Ian

apkraven

Jan 29, 2011
thank you for your help , Ian

anyone have a tip for installing the relaunch launcher? i downloaded the apk, but it says only the nook purchased apps can be installed even though the nookcolor tools has the box of "non-market apps" checked...

ps> managed to solve the problem only with the nookmanager. now it's all okay.

Last edited:

djchem

Sep 24, 2007
Kobo and installing apps

Hi I have everything running nicely, kindle app installed. Thanks to everyone involved in the development.
I have been trying to use kobo from the market as well but have run into problems. It loads and syncs my library but when I click on a book the screen flashes goes grey and then I am straight back in the library. I thought maybe I needed a different version so have tried finding an older version which is when I ran into my second problem. I can't seem to install apps. I have downloaded apks and put them onto my sdcard but I cannot launch a file explorer. Supermanager does nothing, literally and I have tried installing apps using the market on a browser, dolphin as nothing else works, but it says they are already installed. I am clearly missing something, any ideas would be great either to get an explorer or market search or someting to let me install apps. Thanks in advance.

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
Hi I have everything running nicely, kindle app installed. Thanks to everyone involved in the development.
I have been trying to use kobo from the market as well but have run into problems. It loads and syncs my library but when I click on a book the screen flashes goes grey and then I am straight back in the library.
Have you removed the DRM from the titles? Each ecosystem (Kindle, B&N, Kobo, etc.) have their own non-interchangeable protection formats so you'd need to remove that (which, depending upon where you live, may be illegal) in order to read the same files via different readers.

If I'm off the mark and you are trying to read Kobo-bought files then it might just be indeed that the Kobo reader no longer properly supports Android 2.1 (which is what the Nook runs)?

I thought maybe I needed a different version so have tried finding an older version which is when I ran into my second problem. I can't seem to install apps. I have downloaded apks and put them onto my sdcard but I cannot launch a file explorer. Supermanager does nothing, literally and I have tried installing apps using the market on a browser, dolphin as nothing else works, but it says they are already installed. I am clearly missing something, any ideas would be great either to get an explorer or market search or someting to let me install apps. Thanks in advance.
Yeah Google Play won't run on the Nook so you'll need to install SearchMarket (browse to this URL using the Nook's web browser: http://www.appbrain.com/app/searchmarket/youten.redo.searchmarket) in order to install items from Google Play.

Hit 'Thanks' if I helped,

yan

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
Just got a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. A bit confused with the instructions. At step 10, it seems to be implied I should have files on the SD card. Was I supposed to save all the downloads to the SD Card BEFORE writing CWM to it?

Also, it it really easy to brick it if I do something wrong?

EDIT: Figured it out. I put the files AFTER writing CWM.

Last edited:

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Nook STG 1.2 cannot root.. sdcard is created,, both zips are placed in the root of the sccard. I boot it from the power off screen with the prepared SDcard in, It just flashes the gear/geared N logo on the screen, I can pull the SD card and hold the power button. It'll boot back into the stock rom, so it hasn't managed to make any changes at all.

OS = Win7.

Used WinImage, had to set the VHD file type to all to pick the .img file as that isn't a type listed in the dropdown box. .ima is .img is not. Still seemed to restore it. Will look for another app to restore that img.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Nook STG 1.2 cannot root.. sdcard is created,, both zips are placed in the root of the sccard. I boot it from the power off screen with the prepared SDcard in, It just flashes the gear/geared N logo on the screen, I can pull the SD card and hold the power button. It'll boot back into the stock rom, so it hasn't managed to make any changes at all.

OS = Win7.

Used WinImage, had to set the VHD file type to all to pick the .img file as that isn't a type listed in the dropdown box. .ima is .img is not. Still seemed to restore it. Will look for another app to restore that img.

That was it.. the program could not properly restore the image. I used USB Image Tool to restore it and got the expected CWM recovery screen.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
      2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
      3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
      5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
      6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
      • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
    Download Searchmarket app from a browser. The market search is broken on rooted NST.

I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.
    Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.
    Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
    The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
    I'll try it. Really, all I want to get is the amazon kindle app, the rest of it Ii don't really care about. but when I bring up the amazon app-store, it won't show me the kindle app. For some reason it will show me most everything else.

I tried downloading an amazon kindle apk, but the sites that had it looked kinda scary.

And after messing around a bit more, I realized that my BN account info isn't in settings either. I'm going to try the whole mess again. Can I take a kindle apk from my phone and just copy it to the sdcard and install it?

The newer versions of Kindle won't work on the Glow. The version included below seems to be the latest version that works.