Search This thread

Navy Lik

Feb 2, 2017
Hello! I've recently got my hands on a brand new Nubia Alpha. This device is based on Snapdragon 2100 and uses modified Android Wear (based on Android 7.1). But global version is a crap - it does not have ability to install apps. That ability is just locked away. That's ridiculous!

So I want to unlock my device to make it fully functional. I've tried:
  • Installing apps via adb install. It says:
Code:
>>adb install WearforInstagram.apk
$ adb: failed to install WearforInstagram.apk:
Exception occurred while dumping:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: forbiden install apk.
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageInstallerService.createSessionInternal(PackageInstallerService.java:581)
Yep, with misspelled "forbiden". Some proprietary locking mechanism, I guess.
  • Invoking package.installer via ADB. It does not work as installer, which is pretty common for Wear devices. I managed to call uninstallation screen that finishes successfully, but it has no effect on any app.
  • Calling system and factory apps using ADB. Looks like no special engineering menu is present here.
  • Using ADB --disable command to stop some system processes and see native interface. Yep, that works, and I even managed to disable a launcher. But then Alpha displays just "Loading Android" screen with running circle. No crashes to some fallback GUI, sadly.
  • Bootloader unlock from Fastboot. Does not works, displaying a standard message about oem lock.
  • DirtyCow exploit to get root. That could work... but ah, ADB shell seems pretty limited - I can't use chmod there, so I can't run anything executable from PC. I had an sh, but Shellshock vulnerability seems fixed here.
  • Temporary TWRP loading from Fastboot. Nope, it is locked too.
So, I've started to run out of ideas.
What should I try next to free my device from that nasty lock?
Thanks!

Reactions: Neuralnox

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
Hello! I've recently got my hands on a brand new Nubia Alpha. This device is based on Snapdragon 2100 and uses modified Android Wear (based on Android 7.1). But global version is a crap - it does not have ability to install apps. That ability is just locked away. That's ridiculous!

Code:
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageInstallerService.createSessionInternal(PackageInstallerService.java:581)
  • Invoking package.installer via ADB. It does not work as installer, which is pretty common for Wear devices. I managed to call uninstallation screen that finishes successfully, but it has no effect on any app.
  • Calling system and factory apps using ADB. Looks like no special engineering menu is present here.
  • Using ADB --disable command to stop some system processes and see native interface. Yep, that works, and I even managed to disable a launcher. But then Alpha displays just "Loading Android" screen with running circle. No crashes to some fallback GUI, sadly.
  • Bootloader unlock from Fastboot. Does not works, displaying a standard message about oem lock.
  • DirtyCow exploit to get root. That could work... but ah, ADB shell seems pretty limited - I can't use chmod there, so I can't run anything executable from PC. I had an sh, but Shellshock vulnerability seems fixed here.
Thanks!
Any news on this?
Im completely in love with the design of the watch but i really need to get it working with apps. Ive been thinking if flashing a proper android os would work?

Reactions: rafrgt

RomeusPrime

Apr 22, 2021

Code:
Thanks!
Couple of month ago I also tried things on my own but I lost hope. For the unlock part did you try this command ?
Code:
fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_SW1002

RomeusPrime

Apr 22, 2021
There are actually 2 versions : the eSim Version and the bluetooth ( or global ) version. I think the eSim version is only available in China and it is the unlocked version where you can easily install app. For the Bluetooth version (ours) it looks like there is a lot of restriction. But Definitely we could have a great toy in our hands if it was unlocked....

I don't know if anyone speak Chinese but there is a lot of Chinese forum, maybe they also have hack but I could find anything good as I am using google translate. I remember finding a small exe file to push apk to the watch but couldn't make it work.

Here is a link
Link: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1CfuRFKSagi2NQjzZqIW8Lw
Extraction code: 6wy5

I don't know if anyone could make it work on bluetooth version

rafrgt

May 16, 2017
Na verdade, existem 2 versões: a versão eSim e a versão bluetooth (ou global). Acho que a versão eSim está disponível apenas na China e é a versão desbloqueada, onde você pode instalar o aplicativo facilmente. Para a versão Bluetooth (nossa) parece que há muitas restrições. Mas, definitivamente, poderíamos ter um grande brinquedo em nossas mãos se ele fosse desbloqueado ....

Eu não sei se alguém fala chinês, mas há muitos fóruns chineses, talvez eles também tenham hack, mas eu poderia encontrar qualquer coisa boa porque estou usando o google tradutor. Lembro-me de encontrar um pequeno arquivo exe para enviar o apk para o relógio, mas não consegui fazer funcionar.

Aqui está um link
Código de extração: 6wy5

Não sei se alguém conseguiria fazer funcionar na versão bluetooth

a minha é a versão esim china, como instalar o app? este link não funciona com o nome do aplicativo

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
SO in theory you guys are saying, that the Chinese eSim version would work if properly set up?
Any chance we could modify the ROM on the International Version (or even chinese). My main concern with the china version is the lack of bluetooth tbh - as without an esim it'd be impossible to connect to a phone. While Local providers here do allow the configuration of an eSim, im concerned it wont work - let alone the fact that we do not know whether the China version allows for app installs.
So in essence we're here, someone correct me if im wrong:
1. Chinese version of the watch MAY allow installing apps.
2. International version of the watch MAY allow for the Chinese ROM to be installed .

Any ideas if the above would work?
Any ideas on modding the International ROM?

Additionally I made a reddit thread on it, that's going nowhere aswell.
https://www.reddit.com/r/androidroot/comments/myfvce

dgnoise75

Apr 28, 2021
SO in theory you guys are saying, that the Chinese eSim version would work if properly set up?
Any chance we could modify the ROM on the International Version (or even chinese). My main concern with the china version is the lack of bluetooth tbh - as without an esim it'd be impossible to connect to a phone. While Local providers here do allow the configuration of an eSim, im concerned it wont work - let alone the fact that we do not know whether the China version allows for app installs.
2. International version of the watch MAY allow for the Chinese ROM to be installed .

Hi everyone,

My message is just to support you in what you are trying to achieve. The OS I confirm is horrible, and the worst part is that its biggest strength (its huge display) it is nowhere used to its full extent, starting from the watchfaces.
It is such a pity that such a marvel in terms of HW is ruined by such a poor SW.
I personally got the Nubia Watch and I was wondering in terms of OS/ROM how different it really is from the Nubia Alpha ?

I do only have limited skills in rooting devices, but I am willing to perform tests on my watch/es if it can help.

Let's push this!
#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

Thanks,

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
Hi everyone,

My message is just to support you in what you are trying to achieve. The OS I confirm is horrible, and the worst part is that its biggest strength (its huge display) it is nowhere used to its full extent, starting from the watchfaces.
It is such a pity that such a marvel in terms of HW is ruined by such a poor SW.
I personally got the Nubia Watch and I was wondering in terms of OS/ROM how different it really is from the Nubia Alpha ?

Let's push this!
#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

Thanks,
Completely Agree. The software is so horrible, ive even thought of ways to make it work with some RaspberryPi or any device that provides better support - even though realistically it seems unlikely that it'd be possible knowing the way manufacturers design screen cables .
Im realistically open to anything to make it function properly and provide us with a window of opportunity to leverage the capacities of the device.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

dgnoise75

Apr 28, 2021
Completely Agree. The software is so horrible, ive even thought of ways to make it work with some RaspberryPi or any device that provides better support - even though realistically it seems unlikely that it'd be possible knowing the way manufacturers design screen cables .
Im realistically open to anything to make it function properly and provide us with a window of opportunity to leverage the capacities of the device.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS
Well, that is the part I have already been through. I know the details of the display HW and it uses a MIPI interface that could be theoretically interfaced to a Raspberry. However, the connector (which includes both signals for display and touch, see attached photo) requires an adapter (contacts are super tiny). That would need to be built on a custom PCB, requiring fairly high electronics skills. On top of that since the resolution (960x192) is not standard I'm sure several custom parameters would need to be set. Last but not least a driver would need to be found/written in order to be able to talk to the display controller (RM69330).
As an alternative, an evaluation board like the one from ST could be used, but the same issues would apply.

That's why the easiest option is still to use the Nubia HW...

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

Attachments

• Nubia display connector.jpg
    Nubia display connector.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 82

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
Well, that is the part I have already been through. I know the details of the display HW and it uses a MIPI interface that could be theoretically interfaced to a Raspberry. However, the connector (which includes both signals for display and touch, see attached photo) requires an adapter (contacts are super tiny). That would need to be built on a custom PCB, requiring fairly high electronics skills. On top of that since the resolution (960x192) is not standard I'm sure several custom parameters would need to be set. Last but not least a driver would need to be found/written in order to be able to talk to the display controller (RM69330).
As an alternative, an evaluation board like the one from ST could be used, but the same issues would apply.

That's why the easiest option is still to use the Nubia HW...

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS
Great post.
Ill still investigate how can this be expedited as a process - while of course I focus on a way to leverage the current handset.
Even if we can interface it with a RaspberryPI, most raspberries tend to be pretty large for the power they provide - so I'm not to keen on doing that tbh.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

RomeusPrime

Apr 22, 2021

Hi,
Thank you for the post.
My understand is that the Chinese Esim version does have the Bluetooth/Wifi. The Esim is just an additionnal feature. You can read the description of Esim here : https://www.fonearena.com/blog/276408/nubia-alpha-price-specifications.html

So to me your are right on both point,
1- The Chinese version allow installing apk. In a previous a post a link to a tool I found on a Chinese website.
2- International version of the watch MAY allow for the Chinese ROM to be installed. To me the difference between the Chinese and Bluetooth are only on a software level. The HW should be the same. ( this is only my thought)

I tried hard to find the original Esim Rom but wasn't able to find it.... But knowing that I'm not the only one working on it bring my hopes back :)

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

dgnoise75

Apr 28, 2021
Hi,
Thank you for the post.
My understand is that the Chinese Esim version does have the Bluetooth/Wifi. The Esim is just an additionnal feature. You can read the description of Esim here : https://www.fonearena.com/blog/276408/nubia-alpha-price-specifications.html

1- The Chinese version allow installing apk. In a previous a post a link to a tool I found on a Chinese website.
2- International version of the watch MAY allow for the Chinese ROM to be installed. To me the difference between the Chinese and Bluetooth are only on a software level. The HW should be the same. ( this is only my thought)

I tried hard to find the original Esim Rom but wasn't able to find it.... But knowing that I'm not the only one working on it bring my hopes back :)

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

@RomeusPrime

I did see your post about the tool on the Chinese website. I was able to see the file list but I wasn't able to download them since apparently, it requires to have an account that can be created only with a Chinese phone number. Am I missing something?

Definitely bring your hopes (and contributions) back ;-)

Thanks!

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS​

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
Hi,
Thank you for the post.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS
Hey thanks for the heads up!
That's a big step in the right direction. It seems that Aliexpress. Has the chinese version available. Maybe it's worth a try to get it.
Would i be able to unlock the eSim?
Does it have english?
And if i do get it would I be able to pull an image of the ROM for you guys?
Is it the same thing with the Nubia watch (that one seems a bit prettier)?

I think we should keep this thread alive and slowly work on this until we have a solution.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-28-18-38-24-174_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-28-18-38-24-174_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: PiKA4y

dgnoise75

Apr 28, 2021
Hey thanks for the heads up!
That's a big step in the right direction. It seems that Aliexpress. Has the chinese version available. Maybe it's worth a try to get it.
Would i be able to unlock the eSim?
Does it have english?
And if i do get it would I be able to pull an image of the ROM for you guys?
Is it the same thing with the Nubia watch (that one seems a bit prettier)?

I think we should keep this thread alive and slowly work on this until we have a solution.

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

From the information I have I can tell the following:

1) The Chinese version you are pointing out supports both Chinese and English languages.
2) The e-Sim it is stated works only in China. Not sure whether this is a software lock or else.
The supported frequencies are as follows:
2G: GSM:1800
3G: WCDMA:2100; CDMA:BC0
4G: LTE FDD:B1/B3; TDD-LTE:B38/B39/B40/B41

Ultimately however the goal is to unlock the OS, so even if eventually the e-SIM does not work it will be just like the global version, which I understand is the one we all currently have.

Nubia alpha vs Nubia Watch: they of course definitely share a lot of features, see the attached comparison.
The main difference being the camera on the Alpha. The internal PCB I would assume it is different since on the Watch it has been reduced greatly in size.
The major difference I see however is in the ROM/software. Just by comparing the available pre-installed apps and settings the 2 watches are quite different.

I currently own a Nubia Watch Global, but I would pull the trigger on the Alpha Chinese if that can help.

I would personally suggest creating a new thread in which we start collecting all useful information and keep updating the initial sticky post? This could attract more interest and stimulate people to contribute. Or we could ask the moderators to create the Nubia Alpha/Watch dedicated section. Agree?

Let's continue!

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

Attachments

• Alpha_vs_Watch.JPG
    Alpha_vs_Watch.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: rafrgt

Neuralnox

Apr 18, 2021
From the information I have I can tell the following:

1) The Chinese version you are pointing out supports both Chinese and English languages.
2) The e-Sim it is stated works only in China. Not sure whether this is a software lock or else.
The supported frequencies are as follows:
2G: GSM:1800
3G: WCDMA:2100; CDMA:BC0
4G: LTE FDD:B1/B3; TDD-LTE:B38/B39/B40/B41

Ultimately however the goal is to unlock the OS, so even if eventually the e-SIM does not work it will be just like the global version, which I understand is the one we all currently have.

Nubia alpha vs Nubia Watch: they of course definitely share a lot of features, see the attached comparison.
The main difference being the camera on the Alpha. The internal PCB I would assume it is different since on the Watch it has been reduced greatly in size.
The major difference I see however is in the ROM/software. Just by comparing the available pre-installed apps and settings the 2 watches are quite different.

I currently own a Nubia Watch Global, but I would pull the trigger on the Alpha Chinese if that can help.

I would personally suggest creating a new thread in which we start collecting all useful information and keep updating the initial sticky post? This could attract more interest and stimulate people to contribute. Or we could ask the moderators to create the Nubia Alpha/Watch dedicated section. Agree?

Let's continue!

#FreeNubiaAlphaOS
Completely agree.
Also sounds (id rather not experiment) like ill pull the trigger to the Nubia Alpha Chinese Version these days aswell so that we can work on something concrete. I dont care about the esim so im not really worried about that.
Also if mods could create a section for us to talk and share it'd increase the exposure we get and hopefully pull more people in - as well as itd make it much easier to followup on this task.
#FreeNubiaAlphaOS

rafrgt

May 16, 2017
There are actually 2 versions : the eSim Version and the bluetooth ( or global ) version. I think the eSim version is only available in China and it is the unlocked version where you can easily install app. For the Bluetooth version (ours) it looks like there is a lot of restriction. But Definitely we could have a great toy in our hands if it was unlocked....

I don't know if anyone speak Chinese but there is a lot of Chinese forum, maybe they also have hack but I could find anything good as I am using google translate. I remember finding a small exe file to push apk to the watch but couldn't make it work.

Here is a link

I can not download has as upa for me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

I also got mine (Chinese version) yesterday - but (unfortunately) I'm in Europe and therefore I can't activate the eSim through WeChat... It would be really great if all you guys working on it could remove the lock (my provider does use the built-in frequencies, so it should not be a problem :)) - I'm pretty sure it's just an SW-lock...

Did you manage to install any apk?
    Mine can't be activate though. Even the same service provider in Hong Kong which is the China Unicom. Apps can be installed. Just that some of the GApps are not working.

You may take a look of my app list. So far the battery is satisfactory. I can use it for 2 to 3 days before the next charge.

Code:
    Thanks!
    Couple of month ago I also tried things on my own but I lost hope. For the unlock part did you try this command ?
    Code:
    fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_SW1002

Here is a link

wow. as soon as I'm back on my linux I'll try it! Thank you very much :) I'll post the results ;)

EDIT: btw: is ADB automatically activated on the alpha or do you have to press some extra knobs?
    I bought a nubia alpha, is there anything new?