• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Nvidia Shield updated to allow game saves to external sd card!!

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I just got an update notification from my Nvidia Shield, the update contains the following:

1) Ability to move select apps and game programs (apk files) from internal memory to the micro sd card!!

2) improved Miracast streaming
improved PC streaming stability, gamepad detection and wifi performance!

3) Support for Tegra developer tools

Downloading the update now, good thing that I have a 64 gig card, now it's time to put it to good use!!

Great job Nvidia!

Update** Ok guys, the official news from NVidia about the ability to move complete game data over to the micro SD cards is shown below. Looks like they are working on it:

[email protected]
ManiacDC said:
Misress, Android devices can move a lot more than what the Shield moves:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...update-59-now-available/post/3917152/#3917152

I don't see how some random Chinese tablet manufacturer can figure this out, but nvidia can't.

Nvidia Mod Reply: Its not that we cant, its that it requires some new code to be written in order to support it. Which we are working on for a future update.

Last edited:
Reactions: wwjoshdew

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver
Moving of games didn't work for me. It barely decreased the file size on the Shield. I looked at the SD after, and while there are a couple files there, they aren't the main game files. :( So the 2+GB games I have, are still on the Shield instead of the SD.

-Edit-

According to NVIDIA "Only APK files get moved." As most games have download after the fact, this doesn't quite help much. :(

Moving of games didn't work for me. It barely decreased the file size on the Shield. I looked at the SD after, and while there are a couple files there, they aren't the main game files. :( So the 2+GB games I have, are still on the Shield instead of the SD.

-Edit-

According to NVIDIA "Only APK files get moved." As most games have download after the fact, this doesn't quite help much. :(

Yes I just saw that as well. Gave me 300mb back. Not really useful just moving the apk.

wrc1010

Jul 27, 2012
I just got an update notification from my Nvidia Shield, the update contains the following:

1) Ability to move select apps and game programs (apk files) from internal memory to the micro sd card!!

Downloading the update now, good thing that I have a 64 gig card, now it's time to put it to good use!!

Great job Nvidia!

Update: I just moved 3 games, over 3 gigs in size to my micro sd card, and it took less than 10 seconds!! Loving my Shield!

What game did you move because I dont think it can completely move whole the game data into sdcard. I try for mc4 that have 1.9gb but shield only move 400mb.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
yeah, I just noticed that it's only moving certain games/files...hence the quick transfer speeds :(

I think this is an android issue though, however, Nvidia stated on their official Shield forum that they are working on a a work-around..fingers crossed

Hardcore73

Dec 30, 2011
I uninstalled and reinstalled Bard's Tale. This time it asked me where to put the files when the large download started. I chose my external card and it put all the 3.8GB of data there. I am going to try to uninstall Vice City next and do the same and see if it lets me put all on the external sd card....

Don't forget to click that Thanks button if I helped in any way.

Reactions: s0me guy

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I recall a poster saying you could move data as well. Poster did not know what they were talking about?

This makes more sense. The irony is it only helps with older games that had bigger apk files and no data folder. The trend now of course is huge data folders and small apk files. Apps2sd is a semi hollow option as a result.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Great job Nvidia!

Update** Ok guys, the official news from NVidia about the ability to move complete game data over to the micro SD cards is shown below. Looks like they are working on it:

[email protected]
    ManiacDC said:
    Misress, Android devices can move a lot more than what the Shield moves:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...update-59-now-available/post/3917152/#3917152

I don't see how some random Chinese tablet manufacturer can figure this out, but nvidia can't.

Nvidia Mod Reply: Its not that we cant, its that it requires some new code to be written in order to support it. Which we are working on for a future update.
    DAMN YOU @MRCANNADY! haha

I was JUST ABOUT to start a thread... But I see that there are two new threads about this. (I think yours was the first)

I did make a video on the update too! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rra0ZFSbpbE
    I uninstalled and reinstalled Bard's Tale. This time it asked me where to put the files when the large download started. I chose my external card and it put all the 3.8GB of data there. I am going to try to uninstall Vice City next and do the same and see if it lets me put all on the external sd card....

Don't forget to click that Thanks button if I helped in any way.
    Hey Rushles..completely. off topic, but I remember you from the Asus transformer Prime forums. Do you still use that great device?? ;)

Nope! I have the following: Excite 7.7, TF300, Nook HD+ and iPad 4. I actually use the Nook more than the others. Amazing display and the easiest device to root and rom. Nothing is easier and super cheap to buy.
    Too many tablets. The one I use the least is the TF300 and have the keyboard dock as well. Actually, if the HD+ had a S600 or S800 and 2gb of ram, it would be perfect, IMO. Great display, size, build, sd slot and easy modding.

Back to the Shield, if there is a S2 I hope it has 32gb internal and a bigger display with less bezel. Due to my tablet glut, I will hold off on Shield for another price drop and selling my TF300.

Also holding off until the power bleed in sleep mode and throttling issues are fixed.

No excuse for either issue, IMO.