• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

O2 Atom - hissing noise when on

Search This thread

twr7cx

Oct 25, 2007
I've got an original O2 Atom (with the latest official O2 ROM installed). It has a very anoiying hissing noise when the unit is on. I.e. if it's on standby (so blank screen) and you press the power button the noise starts when the screen comes to life. It continues the entire time even if the backlight turns off, doesn't stop until it goes back onto standby.

I've had a bit of a Google search and found this - http://www.fixya.com/support/t227104-getting_hissing_noise_when_backlight - but there's no answer/solution.

The noise apart from being very anoiying makes phone calls quiet painful. Any ideas/solutions?

I only got this unit a couple of days ago cheap and secondhand, and I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been making this noise all the time...

ckaidi

May 25, 2007
Singapore
i got this problem before. Its the hardware Touch Screen defact. Nothing you can do unless warrently is still in force. Changing thru your own pocket will cost more than wat you paid for it. Sorry...

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
mmmmmmmmm....dont get me started on this topic!!!
However, the noise does subside over time and be careful not to depress the LCD whilst the handset is in your pocket as this make the noise louder. Changing the LCD is a waste of time the noise starts again after a short time, Atom Life, Atom Exec and standard Atom have the same LCD, Mobo and yes......the same problem....
What you can do.......... power off after answering a call............try not to apply any pressure to the screen.

Last edited:

twr7cx

Oct 25, 2007
So there's no real feasable solution.

I'm so dispointed, the more I use this phone, the more I'm liking it, but then every time I get a phone call I feel like droping it into the nearest bin!