[Obsolete] [ROM] Stock 3.2.78 firmware rooted on squashfs/ext4 for SDE enabled Gen9

Search This thread

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Hi All,

Here is rooted 3.2.78 firmware for SDE enabled devices.

I did two versions:
- squashfs (like my previous build), in this one, system is read-only, you can't add/remove stock apps and edit system files. Files are compressed so it takes less storage space than ext4, it should be also slower than ext4.
- ext4, system is read/write and should be quicker. Be careful if you modify system files though.

Both have kernel/modules from 3.2.78.

To install it:

0) You must have SDE installed. If you didn't do it already, check there instructions on how to do it.
1) Extract zip file content
2) Copy android_3.2.78.squashfs (or android_3.2.78.ext4) to internal storage root. You can do it the usual way or with adb with this:
Code:
adb push android_3.2.78.squashfs /data/media
or
Code:
adb push android_3.2.78.ext4 /data/media
3) Reboot
4) On boot menu, select "Recovery system"

01bootmenuselectrecover.jpg

5) Select "developer edition menu"

02recoveryselectdevedme.jpg

6) Select "flash kernel and initramfs"

03devmenuselectflash.jpg

6) A drive should appear on your PC, copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to it.

04flashcopy.jpg

05flashdiskempty.jpg

06flashdiskfilled.jpg

7) Select OK, the kernel should flash.

07flashkernelflashed.jpg

8) Select OK to reboot and maintain vol+ pressed. Boot menu should appear after reboot.

9) Select SDE in boot menu, you should be rooted and SuperUser functional.

08bootmenubootsde.jpg

The only change from stock: I enabled vibrator control panel option, it has been reported to work on some, it doesn't on mine.

I checked 3.2.78 stock firmware, it has an updated bootloader, it may be worth flashing stock firmware too to have everything synched.

Download rooted 3.2.78 on squashfs here.

Download rooted 3.2.78 on ext4 here.

Cheers,

LeTama

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 3, 2010
    Paris
    Ok...good job....!!!
    I understand now why I did not have options rw in root-explorer....because I managed the Rom with squashfs and not with ext4.....
    Now everything is ok....thanks again @letama...;)

letama

Feb 13, 2008
    Are you saying that installing with ext4 partition I'll can't be mount RW in root_explorer ?
    -because with squashfs I can't ....

No, sorry, our posts crossed, I was effectively replying to djnilse. I'm trying to refrain my "quote mania", it was not a good idea this time :)

Ext4 is R/W, and permanently, no need to remount it in root explorer.

I would have preferred ext4 mounted first as r/o and allow the option to remount as r/w when needed, but this is not possible with the way Archos designed their rootfs.

Tha0lia

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi Letama,

Thanks for your build but I cant use your kernel with 3.2.78 kernel modules and when I extract kernel from 3.2.78, init kernel does not boot :/.

Thanks in advance

Thaolia

nilse

Aug 14, 2011
    Berlin
    ok i flashed it everything worked fine

i have now a dualboot recovery menu with Android(non-root) and developer(root)

on developer the root is ok, also the system is r/w

thx letama for the rooted newest update :D

letama

Feb 13, 2008
    Hi Letama,

Thanks for your build but I cant use your kernel with 3.2.78 kernel modules and when I extract kernel from 3.2.78, init kernel does not boot :/.

Thanks in advance

Thaolia

Archos kernel is using a new compression scheme for initrd, check my howto, the "find . | cpio ..." command. You need to rebuild your initrd.

Tha0lia

Dec 15, 2011
    Archos kernel is using a new compression scheme for initrd, check my howto, the "find . | cpio ..." command. You need to rebuild your initrd.

My extract kernel is of 5Mb (I use your howto for extract the 3.2.78 kernel). Init and recovery extract kernel doesn't boot with a lzop initramfs.cpio. Wheras with your kernel and modules, all works fine.

Sry but I certainly forget somethings.

Thanks in advance

Thaolia

letama

Feb 13, 2008
    Tha0lia,

5 MB is wrong:

- aos-unpack gives you 9_MMCF (5145304)
    - dd strips header and gives you init_kernel which contains zImage+initrd (5145040)
    - aos-kernel-unpack of init_kernel gives you kernel and initrd separated (unpacked-kernel, unpacked-cpio.gz), that I renamed to init-zImage afterwards.

This is the one you want, size should be 3993572.

Cheers,

LeTama

Tha0lia

Dec 15, 2011
    Tha0lia,

5 MB is wrong:

- aos-unpack gives you 9_MMCF (5145304)
    - dd strips header and gives you init_kernel which contains zImage+initrd (5145040)
    - aos-kernel-unpack of init_kernel gives you kernel and initrd separated (unpacked-kernel, unpacked-cpio.gz), that I renamed to init-zImage afterwards.

This is the one you want, size should be 3993572.

Cheers,

LeTama

Sorry, your kernel and my extract kernel have same md5sum.

It's my fault but thanks for your help.

Have a nice day !

Thaolia

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
    Jan 26, 2011
    Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
    quinny898.co.uk
    Is it possible to get swap working in the build modifications?
    When I use swapper for root from the market, reboot and type free, I get this:
    uploadfromtaptalk1325266769378.jpg
    It shows it as empty and unused. Any idea why? There's a swapfile on /sdcard, in fat, which is being activated by the app on boot. Could this be fixed? I'm using the latest rooted ext4 version btw
    Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hi All,

Here is rooted 3.2.78 firmware for SDE enabled devices.

I did two versions:
      - squashfs (like my previous build), in this one, system is read-only, you can't add/remove stock apps and edit system files. Files are compressed so it takes less storage space than ext4, it should be also slower than ext4.
      - ext4, system is read/write and should be quicker. Be careful if you modify system files though.

Both have kernel/modules from 3.2.78.

To install it:

0) You must have SDE installed. If you didn't do it already, check there instructions on how to do it.
      1) Extract zip file content
      2) Copy android_3.2.78.squashfs (or android_3.2.78.ext4) to internal storage root. You can do it the usual way or with adb with this:
      Code:
      adb push android_3.2.78.squashfs /data/media
      or
      Code:
      adb push android_3.2.78.ext4 /data/media
      3) Reboot
      4) On boot menu, select "Recovery system"

01bootmenuselectrecover.jpg

5) Select "developer edition menu"

02recoveryselectdevedme.jpg

6) Select "flash kernel and initramfs"

03devmenuselectflash.jpg

6) A drive should appear on your PC, copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to it.

04flashcopy.jpg

05flashdiskempty.jpg

06flashdiskfilled.jpg

7) Select OK, the kernel should flash.

07flashkernelflashed.jpg

8) Select OK to reboot and maintain vol+ pressed. Boot menu should appear after reboot.

9) Select SDE in boot menu, you should be rooted and SuperUser functional.

08bootmenubootsde.jpg

The only change from stock: I enabled vibrator control panel option, it has been reported to work on some, it doesn't on mine.

I checked 3.2.78 stock firmware, it has an updated bootloader, it may be worth flashing stock firmware too to have everything synched.

Download rooted 3.2.78 on squashfs here.

Download rooted 3.2.78 on ext4 here.

Cheers,

LeTama
      No, nothing special for ext4, same thing as squashfs...
      As a question to get out of the way early in the thread, I'm on your earlier rooted one, do I need to wipe?

I don't think so, Archos firmware update doesn't, so it shouldn't be necessary.

I had to wipe mine for another reason so I can't be sure though.
      Noticed an issue in the first post:
      adb cp should read
      adb push

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using xda premium
      hi guys im busy trying to do this on my 80 g9 turbo, iv plugged the device into pc, put android_3.2.78.ext4 on root of internal storage, but when i reboot it just boots into normal screen, what am i doing wrong, lol, tried also booting into recovery but theres nothing there as in the instructions, help!

Did you enable SDE ?

Check here if you didn't.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone