[OBSOLETE] Use New Superguide - [GUIDE][TOOL]Easily TempRoot Your Vivid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bjg222

Nov 9, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Edited 12/30/11:

Thanks to everyone that helped put this together, and I'm glad people found it useful! However, this guide is now obsolete. I put it together before we could unlock the bootloader and get a permanent root. However, we now have a bootloader unlock, so there's a better way to get root. Please see this thread: http:// http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416836. I'll leave this guide here in case somebody has such an occasion to need only a temp root.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 11/11/11, 12:23 EST - V2 of Windows script - check for superuser.apk already installed
Edited 11/11/11, 14:42 EST - Linux/Mac script
Edited 11/11/11, 15:58 EST - V3 of Windows script - updated method for installing su binary to attempt to address it disappearing. Please let me know if the issue persists! (Linux script should be updated to V3 soon)

Ok, so I think we've gotten this process streamlined enough to make it easy, so I wanted to put together a step-by-step easy temproot for people who are confused. It will run zergRush to root your phone, then install busybox and the superuser app & binaries.

I've tested this on AT&T's Vivid, and it seems to work on the Canadian variant. Also, supposedly, if you're bootloader's unlocked, this should give you permroot.

I take no credit for actually developing most of this, I just packaged it up all nice and neat in an easy to run batch file. Both Windows & Linux/Mac versions are attached.

Thanks to:
Revolutianry for zergRush, ChainsDD/androidsu.com for SuperUser, stericson for busybox
arunp44, Jimmy273, DooMLoRD, and cyber_pete for some of the right commands
rpendrick for the Linux/Mac version

STEPS TO ROOT:

0. Install HTC Sync on your computer so that you'll have the proper drives

1. Download Vivid-Root.zip: Windows | Linux/Mac

2. Unzip somewhere on your computer

3. On your phone , enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development, check USB Debugging) & Unknown Sources (Settings > Applications, check Unkown Sources)

4. Connect your phone to the computer, make sure it's in Charge Only mode

5. Open the unzipped folder, double click RUNME.bat & Follow the prompts

6. Enjoy your root!

If you reboot your phone, just repeat steps 4-6.

Please let me know if you have any problems, questions, or concerns!

DISCLAIMER: I've tested this on my device and it works. However, i provide no guarantees or claim no responsibility for problems it may cause (however unlikely that may be). You know, the usual "please don't blame me for bricks...".

KNOWN ISSUES:
-Occasionally Superuser app won't recognize su binary even though phone has root access
-su binary disappears after a while (V3 attempts to fix this)
-zergRush method unmounts internal phone storage (/sdcard folder). Seems its still accessible from adb shell, and nothing seems wrong, but phone can no longer access it properly

Attachments

• Vivid-Root-1-linux-mac.zip
    1 MB · Views: 597
  • Vivid-Root-3-windows.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 45,182
Last edited:

bjg222

Nov 9, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Looks promising. Any possibility to repackage for linux and or Mac?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Absolutely! It'll just take me a little longer, as I only have access to windows machines at the moment. Perhaps later this afternoon I'll have the chance to port it to linux/mac.

cyber_pete

Jan 12, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Nice work, I just posted the manual version of this on the other temp root forum. Was going to start to automate but you beat me to it. I love it when there are several people all working towards a solution.

Reactions: bjg222

bjg222

Nov 9, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Nice work, I just posted the manual version of this on the other temp root forum. Was going to start to automate but you beat me to it. I love it when there are several people all working towards a solution.

Yeah, I saw that. I actually have to thank you, because I was having one minor issue of it not recognizing the su binary, but your code got it working! So thanks! :)

cyber_pete

Jan 12, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Yeah, I saw that. I actually have to thank you, because I was having one minor issue of it not recognizing the su binary, but your code got it working! So thanks! :)

Team work, that's how we are going to get to perm root.

EDIT:
Just used your script, worked perfect. One suggestion. What do you think about adding a check for the SuperUser.apk and if it is already there, skip the install? I already have it installed and got the Failed message, might scare a few people. Anyway just a suggestion, great work.

Last edited:

tacotino

Mar 21, 2011
Question... If I use supercharger v6 to emprove my ram after I reboot will it still. E in effect?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

bjg222

Nov 9, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Team work, that's how we are going to get to perm root.

EDIT:
Just used your script, worked perfect. One suggestion. What do you think about adding a check for the SuperUser.apk and if it is already there, skip the install? I already have it installed and got the Failed message, might scare a few people. Anyway just a suggestion, great work.

Sure, I'll work on that and get it up in a bit.

ClippinWings

Oct 18, 2010
Orange County, CA
If I change LCD density while temp rooted, will it survive reboot?

I really am considering this temp root cause I find bloatware annoying.... But if I can switch lcd density while im at it, that will make three decision much easier :)

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

ceo.mtcl

Aug 20, 2008
St. Paul, MN
How long should this process take?? Mine is just showing *daemon started successfully* for a few minutes.

Should take a few seconds, less than a minute overall.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

After running this I tried opening Titanium Backup and it said no root. I did try earlier old temp root method without success, could that be the reason?

Vivid-Root_unsuccessful.jpg

Last edited:

cyber_pete

Jan 12, 2008
San Mateo, CA
For those of you that have temp root working, are you losing root after a short amount of time? I keep losing the SU binary, root is still there but I have to repush SU. Really strange. Does anyone know if this is just the nature of temp root or is there something I can do to fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edited 12/30/11:

Thanks to everyone that helped put this together, and I'm glad people found it useful! However, this guide is now obsolete. I put it together before we could unlock the bootloader and get a permanent root. However, we now have a bootloader unlock, so there's a better way to get root. Please see this thread: http:// http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416836. I'll leave this guide here in case somebody has such an occasion to need only a temp root.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 11/11/11, 12:23 EST - V2 of Windows script - check for superuser.apk already installed
    Edited 11/11/11, 14:42 EST - Linux/Mac script
    Edited 11/11/11, 15:58 EST - V3 of Windows script - updated method for installing su binary to attempt to address it disappearing. Please let me know if the issue persists! (Linux script should be updated to V3 soon)

Ok, so I think we've gotten this process streamlined enough to make it easy, so I wanted to put together a step-by-step easy temproot for people who are confused. It will run zergRush to root your phone, then install busybox and the superuser app & binaries.

I've tested this on AT&T's Vivid, and it seems to work on the Canadian variant. Also, supposedly, if you're bootloader's unlocked, this should give you permroot.

I take no credit for actually developing most of this, I just packaged it up all nice and neat in an easy to run batch file. Both Windows & Linux/Mac versions are attached.

Thanks to:
    Revolutianry for zergRush, ChainsDD/androidsu.com for SuperUser, stericson for busybox
    arunp44, Jimmy273, DooMLoRD, and cyber_pete for some of the right commands
    rpendrick for the Linux/Mac version

STEPS TO ROOT:

0. Install HTC Sync on your computer so that you'll have the proper drives

1. Download Vivid-Root.zip: Windows | Linux/Mac

2. Unzip somewhere on your computer

3. On your phone , enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development, check USB Debugging) & Unknown Sources (Settings > Applications, check Unkown Sources)

4. Connect your phone to the computer, make sure it's in Charge Only mode

5. Open the unzipped folder, double click RUNME.bat & Follow the prompts

6. Enjoy your root!

If you reboot your phone, just repeat steps 4-6.

Please let me know if you have any problems, questions, or concerns!

DISCLAIMER: I've tested this on my device and it works. However, i provide no guarantees or claim no responsibility for problems it may cause (however unlikely that may be). You know, the usual "please don't blame me for bricks...".

KNOWN ISSUES:
    -Occasionally Superuser app won't recognize su binary even though phone has root access
    -su binary disappears after a while (V3 attempts to fix this)
    -zergRush method unmounts internal phone storage (/sdcard folder). Seems its still accessible from adb shell, and nothing seems wrong, but phone can no longer access it properly
    mount -a

should remount anything in fstab.

The standard android mount command has no -a option, and the busybox mount command returns this error:

./busybox mount -a
    mount: can't read '/etc/fstab': No such file or directory

It's not so much that the storage is not mounted. Within the adb shell, /mnt/sdcard is still perfectly accesible, and /sdcard is still properly linked to it. Also, file manager apps, such as Astro, have no problem accessing it. It's just the system that can't see it (including apps such as Music & Gallery). Apparently the Sensation has a similar issue. I'm trying to see if I can find how they solved it.
    Hey, thanks! Hadn't had time to get it working yet. Mind if I go ahead and attach it to the OP?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA App

Heck no, go right ahead!
    I did it to help out :)
    Have long 9 hour shifts with nothing to do.
    Gotta love security work.

On a side note I believe I've solved the su binary disappearing act by using a tactic from the Sensation.
    I'm going to compile it all later and see if its a go.
    Most likely, the root access was lost by the time you ran Root Explorer.

FYI: I've uploaded new version of the DISABLE_BLOATWARE file, the file named DISABLE_BLOATWARE_1.0.1.bat. This batch file replaces the original DISABLE_BLOATWARE.bat file, and disables a few additional APPs: myAT&T, connected media, feedback, recommend, jetcet printer, FMRadio and streamplayer.

Amazon Kindle. Simply add the following line to the batch file to disable Kindle:
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable com.amazon.kindle

AT&T Family Manager and Qik Like: I don't have these two installed (don't ask why, surprised myself), so I don't know the packages associated with these APPs. Are these two uninstallable from the settings -> applications -> manage applications?

Footprints. Simply add the following two lines to the batch file to disable Footprints:
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable com.htc.footprints.widget3d
    adb shell pm disable com.htc.android.footprints
    Ok, to address a few issues:

1) su binary dissapearing: I haven't personally noticed this one, and I'm not sure I could say what would be causing that. Perhaps somebody with more experience than I could help with that.

2) length of process: Shouldn't take more than a minute or two, at least that's what it takes on mine. The newest version of the Android SDK (r15) has issues with ADB server always saying its out of date (for me, anyway), so I included an older version of ADB (from r13) in the zip. I haven't had any issues with that one, but if you're having problems with it, try replacing it with the newest one.

3) missed a step on my part!: You need HTC Sync installed so you have the right drivers on windows! Sorry for leaving that step out

4) Superuser app: This is where things get a little finicky, I've noticed. I had issues originally with Superuser not recognizing the su binary even though it was there. I ended up solving this by using chmod 04755 on it. If you go to Superuser > (Press menu) > Preferences and scroll down, it should say Su binary v3.0.3. If it doesn't, it's not properly recognizing your su binary. If you try to update it and it sees a "legacy" version, that really means it just doesn't see it at all. This *should* be fixed in the most recent uploaded version of the script, but I'm not able to reproduce this error any more, so if you have this issue, let me know.

5) Existing Superuser app: The newest script checks if superuser.apk is already installed, just to avoid seeing the error FAILURE_ALREADY_EXISTS

6) Linux shell script: it's coming, I just want to make sure it's working properly before posting