General Odd blanked out type of port on button side ???

Search This thread

r3k0

Feb 1, 2010
Manchester UK
www.ricorepairs.co.uk
So, got a 256 SD version yesterday, pretty soon noticed a type of blanked out port on the button side that i had not noticed on pics i had seen of the phone online.
Anyone know what it is and why it's not on 99% of the pics i see ??

PXL_20220817_234432649.jpg

PXL_20220817_234503682.jpg

elmarian756

Mar 7, 2016
That's an antenna I think. To verify watch a tear down vid of that model.
Makes you wonder if and if so how much it weakens the frame rail.
Yes after some google looks like some s22u has this and some others does not.

It is a cutout for 5g mmwave antena and probably yes, it could weaken the frame a bit or at least be a snapping point if the phone flexes too much. Just as antennas cutouts are.

olafsand

Jan 25, 2011
US models have mmwave 5g, other regions phones dont have. You can see it only US phones.

RockwellB1

Nov 30, 2013
Ohio
Has nothing to do with 5G from what I actually understand (not all 5G phones have this cutout, even US mmwave ones N20U for example). It actually has to do with Ultra-wideband which is used for precise location detection. Not Verizon's stupidly named UWB 5G. Something similar first appeared on the iPhone 11 I think, when Apple decided to launch their Airtags or whatever they are called.

It allows the phone to detect other equally equipped devices or tags or whatever comes along in the future with much greater accuracy than before. So say you have a tag on your keys, the phone will show exactly where they are (the couch for example) instead of something like "within 5ft of you".

Last edited:

Jaxom84

Jan 12, 2022
OPPO Find X3 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Has nothing to do with 5G from what I actually understand (not all 5G phones have this cutout, even US mmwave ones). It actually has to do with Ultra-wideband which is used for precise location detection. Not Verizon's stupidly named UWB 5G. Something similar first appeared on the iPhone 11 I think, when Apple decided to launch their Airtags or whatever they are called.

It allows the phone to detect other equally equipped devices or tags or whatever comes along in the future with much greater accuracy than before. So say you have a tag on your keys, the phone will show exactly where they are (the couch for example) instead of something like "within 5ft of you".

Thanks for the explanation, but it is still strange that this cutout is not seen on every models. Are all S22U compatible with ultra-wideband? Mine has the option, but no cutout. 🤔

Reactions: blackhawk

RockwellB1

Nov 30, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for the explanation, but it is still strange that this cutout is not seen on every models. Are all S22U compatible with ultra-wideband? Mine has the option, but no cutout. 🤔

The N20/N20U didn't have the cutout but was able to do UWB stuff. Glass isn't the greatest for allowing signal through, so my guess is it's a way to allow better signal now that they have tags and such.

It *could* be mmwave 5G, but everything I've read points at an actual UWB antenna. Mainly because not all mmwave phones have the cutout, and reading into the iPhone when the cutout first appeared (they say it's for their tags).

But yes, like BlackHawk said, Samsung does mysterious things for the different regions. If the features you need work, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just find it annoying it's probably a weak point in the frame, but I've sat on my phone without a case and no issues so...

EDIT:
So I was looking at teardown images and that antenna actually says mmW on it. So it does have to do with mmwave. The fact not every mmwave phone has the cutout but this does still makes me think it's at least something to do with the fact glass isn't the best for signal strength and they decided to do things this way.

Attachments

• Galaxy_S22_Ultra-internals-blog.jpg
    Galaxy_S22_Ultra-internals-blog.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The N20/N20U didn't have the cutout but was able to do UWB stuff. Glass isn't the greatest for allowing signal through, so my guess is it's a way to allow better signal now that they have tags and such.

It *could* be mmwave 5G, but everything I've read points at an actual UWB antenna. Mainly because not all mmwave phones have the cutout, and reading into the iPhone when the cutout first appeared (they say it's for their tags).

But yes, like BlackHawk said, Samsung does mysterious things for the different regions. If the features you need work, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just find it annoying it's probably a weak point in the frame, but I've sat on my phone without a case and no issues so...
Makes you wonder if Samsung IDed it as a potential weak spot then modified it.
You get the impression Samsung is in a big, bad hurry.

Samsung's last solid flagship release remains the N10+ in my opinion. Its stood the test of time very well for a phone... it's a beast.
It's sad to see Samsung degrade their flagship line yet their midrange line still has expandable storage. This inverted marketing devalues their flagships... and they know better but like a brat they just do what they want. Then they make up lame excuses rather then owe up to their screwups. I don't see much hope in Samsung nowadays.

Samsung's latest Buds+ successor failed to impress me as a replacement. Not sealed and with half the battery life. The noise cancelling at this price point will not be optimum so it will likely degrade the sound quality noticeably. Worse the latest firmware update for the Buds+ degraded the audio quality. Do Not update the firmware if you have a pair of Buds+ as firmware they are shipped with sounds better*. The firmware is a pain to rollback too.
wtf Sammy, you nuts?🧐😡🤬

*I did an extensive side by side comparison... not my imagination! The old version is slightly higher decibel, brighter, with a noticeably better sound stage (that may not be the right term for a sealed bud but that's how it sounds)!
Got one pair of Buds+ that needs the firmware rolled back now because of this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has nothing to do with 5G from what I actually understand (not all 5G phones have this cutout, even US mmwave ones N20U for example). It actually has to do with Ultra-wideband which is used for precise location detection. Not Verizon's stupidly named UWB 5G. Something similar first appeared on the iPhone 11 I think, when Apple decided to launch their Airtags or whatever they are called.

EDIT:
    So I was looking at teardown images and that antenna actually says mmW on it. So it does have to do with mmwave. The fact not every mmwave phone has the cutout but this does still makes me think it's at least something to do with the fact glass isn't the best for signal strength and they decided to do things this way.
    It is a 5G mmwave band antenna
    He probably means this, and i don't have that on my s22u at all. Others does have this?
    Screenshot_20220817-234047_Chrome.jpg
    Has nothing to do with 5G from what I actually understand (not all 5G phones have this cutout, even US mmwave ones). It actually has to do with Ultra-wideband which is used for precise location detection. Not Verizon's stupidly named UWB 5G. Something similar first appeared on the iPhone 11 I think, when Apple decided to launch their Airtags or whatever they are called.