Odex Your ROM - Universal - Super Snappy!

Search This thread

ericwgarza1

May 13, 2008
H-Town, TX
I didn't see any scripts to convert ROM from deodex to odex, so I figured I'd round one up. I've been using odex'd ROMs since Ammikan started doing to back in my Evo 4G days. I think it definitely speed things up and should give you a more stock snappy feel. I'm sure there will be some debate about actual performance, but I wanted use it and figured someone else may want to as well so here we are.
:):):):)

DISCLAMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE AS A RESULT OF FLASHING THIS!!!!!

By request I added an additional zip for odexing your /data/app folder. The zip will keep the classes.dex files inside your apks and make things easier to update/revert.
MAKE SURE YOU NANDROID BEFORE DOING THESE!!!!

Instructions:
1. Nandroid
2. Copy attached zip to your sdcard
3. Flash (this may take anywhere from 5-10 mins)
4. Reboot
5. Come to this thread and hit the Thanks button - ;)

Confirmed Working:
-BlazerROM v3.7
-CalkulinROM v.2.8.1
-VeNuM VCS
-Maddoggin v1.2.9
-UnNamedROM

Possible Issue/Not Working
-AIO Modded Themes

Credits:
[email protected] - All credit goes here. Donate to Puppet13th
-StrongSteve - Helping me work out the bugs and answering my n00b questions.
-Mik - Original theme'd odex champion.

Attachments

• Odex-Your-ROM.zip
    349.6 KB · Views: 3,682
  • Odex-Your-ROM-data_app_keep_classes.dex.zip
    542.9 KB · Views: 1,736
Last edited:

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
I hit thanks right away before I try it out because this is awesome! Great work and BIG Thanks!!! Did you make this odex mod yourself?

edit: ericwgarza1, so I see we are neighbors :)

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Tested on several setups. It worked perfectly on a ROM with Banksmi's Minimal Black theme with gtg's extended toggles, no lockscreen mod. I then tried a setup that had the aio mod and my status bar disappeared. Its possible it was a fluke or maybe the odexed aio mod would be flashed after this on the ROM. Outstanding work! If some people running a ROM with AIO mod can give it a shot, it would be great...as OP says.. nandroid first but damn, that was easy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328180158960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328180158960.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,310
Reactions: tx_dbs_tx

ericwgarza1

May 13, 2008
H-Town, TX
Tested on several setups. It worked perfectly on a ROM with Banksmi's Minimal Black theme with gtg's extended toggles, no lockscreen mod. I then tried a setup that had the aio mod and my status bar disappeared. Its possible it was a fluke or maybe the odexed aio mod would be flashed after this on the ROM. Outstanding work! If some people running a ROM with AIO mod can give it a shot, it would be great...as OP says.. nandroid first but damn, that was easy!

Intersting about the AIO mod. Ill test it today. Could have something to do with the framework apks not getting odexed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ficjay

KingOfThaJungle

Oct 4, 2011
New York, NY

Do you notice a difference in your device performance one it was odexed? Does it feel snappier?

Reactions: jaybizza

jaybizza

Feb 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Good Question KING!!! I was about to ask the same thing....Ohh wait...I just did!!! I know I'm running the BEST ROM rite now and I'm worried it will not make it any snappier as it is FLYING NOW!! Venums VCS Rom is Sooo Smooth that maybe I should just leave it but still CURIOUS??? :confused:

ericwgarza1

May 13, 2008
H-Town, TX
Good Question KING!!! I was about to ask the same thing....Ohh wait...I just did!!! I know I'm running the BEST ROM rite now and I'm worried it will not make it any snappier as it is FLYING NOW!! Venums VCS Rom is Sooo Smooth that maybe I should just leave it but still CURIOUS??? :confused:

Make a nandriod, flash and if u dont like it just restore your nandroid. I know my apps lauch stupid fast & odex reduces ur dalvik utilization. Ill find some info & post in op after I get to work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

il buono

May 12, 2011
Tucson
As a user of strongsteve's odex rom, I do notice better performance when compared to deodexed ones. Same goes for odexed roms I use whenever I switch out between my evo 3d. I will definitely give this a try on maddoggin's rom since that one is also another favorite of mine and see how it goes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't see any scripts to convert ROM from deodex to odex, so I figured I'd round one up. I've been using odex'd ROMs since Ammikan started doing to back in my Evo 4G days. I think it definitely speed things up and should give you a more stock snappy feel. I'm sure there will be some debate about actual performance, but I wanted use it and figured someone else may want to as well so here we are.
    :):):):)

DISCLAMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE AS A RESULT OF FLASHING THIS!!!!!

By request I added an additional zip for odexing your /data/app folder. The zip will keep the classes.dex files inside your apks and make things easier to update/revert.
    MAKE SURE YOU NANDROID BEFORE DOING THESE!!!!

Instructions:
    1. Nandroid
    2. Copy attached zip to your sdcard
    3. Flash (this may take anywhere from 5-10 mins)
    4. Reboot
    5. Come to this thread and hit the Thanks button - ;)

Confirmed Working:
    -BlazerROM v3.7
    -CalkulinROM v.2.8.1
    -VeNuM VCS
    -Maddoggin v1.2.9
    -UnNamedROM

Possible Issue/Not Working
    -AIO Modded Themes

Credits:
    [email protected] - All credit goes here. Donate to Puppet13th
    -StrongSteve - Helping me work out the bugs and answering my n00b questions.
    -Mik - Original theme'd odex champion.
    I am willing to help test if needed edit....just flashed a theme update I am testing. No problems flashing over the odexed ROM....

I am going to test the stock AIO mod on my setup now and see what happens.

EDIT:
    It looks like the problem with the StatusbarUI.apk is signature related. I am getting a signature mismatch error in logcat which is causing the system to ignore loading it. Now I'm gonna try and swap some signatures to see if that fixes the problem. :)

EDIT2:
    Well I am fairly certain the statusbar issue and AIO compatibility problem has to do with signature stuff. Now how to remedy the issue. ??????
    when I think Odex, I think of you and StrongSteve!

The problem is that if it does not odex the framework jars, its actually pretty worthless. With the bootpathclass such that it is in ICS, odexing those is going to be quite a bit more challenging. I have already bricked one phone trying.
    LOL Seriously!!!

That post was really helpful. Instead of being an ass why don't u explain it to him so he understands. Isn't this site about helping out and learning. JC helps everyone out and tries to do alot for this community. To bad I can't say the same about u?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
    Bump... @ericwgarza, are you going to explore making this compatible with ICS? I already have an FC05 setup I would like to odex...lol

I'm testing a version as we speak. :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone