Odin flash failed, stuck in Emergency Recovery screen, cannot turn off.

Search This thread

fastzombies

Apr 4, 2016
I was going along ok until I made the fatal error of transferring the Magisk patched file to PC via MTP instead of taking the time to re-learn adb, which must have corrupted it. Thus predictably Odin hung and I am in trouble.

Where I am stuck is being unable to turn the phone off to come back in download mode to start over with stock firmware. I have been unable to find any secret button presses, and the battery doesn't seem to want to die leaving me with an $800 paperweight.

I did search around for this first and didn't find any real answers. Has anyone found an effective solution to this problem? Thanks.

Jun 19, 2019
I was going along ok until I made the fatal error of transferring the Magisk patched file to PC via MTP instead of taking the time to re-learn adb, which must have corrupted it. Thus predictably Odin hung and I am in trouble.

Where I am stuck is being unable to turn the phone off to come back in download mode to start over with stock firmware. I have been unable to find any secret button presses, and the battery doesn't seem to want to die leaving me with an $800 paperweight.

I did search around for this first and didn't find any real answers. Has anyone found an effective solution to this problem? Thanks.

If Odin recognizes you device, you can flash firmware in emergency recovery.

fastzombies

Apr 4, 2016
If Odin recognizes you device, you can flash firmware in emergency recovery.

Thank you, but the PC won't recognize the device. What does happen is the emergency recorevy screen tries to come up. I tried starting in download mode with bixby+vol down then USB. I did get the battery low enough where I don't get the teal screen of death anymore, perhaps it is too low for USB to work? What I was hoping for was the charging animation but no luck. Surely this is just a software problem and there is a way out.

Last edited:

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thank you, but the PC won't recognize the device. What does happen is the emergency recorevy screen tries to come up. I tried starting in download mode with bixby+vol down then USB. I did get the battery low enough where I don't get the teal screen of death anymore, perhaps it is too low for USB to work? What I was hoping for was the charging animation but no luck. Surely this is just a software problem and there is a way out.

Did you try getting into recovery and perform a data factory reset and then see what happens?

Reactions: Sean473

Player04

Apr 9, 2014
Just load the stock firmware BL, Ap, cp and home csc into Odin if you see emergency teal screen. The emergency screen will start loading

Black screen ....Perhaps your battery is dead?

Reactions: Sean473

fastzombies

Apr 4, 2016
Thank you all for the replies. I had let the battery get low in a misguided attempt (based on advice elsewhere) to get it to shut off. I had to let it charge a while for it to wake up enough for PC to see it. Then I was able to flash in Emergency Recovery mode.

Thank you for the help.

Jun 19, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. I had let the battery get low in a misguided attempt (based on advice elsewhere) to get it to shut off. I had to let it charge a while for it to wake up enough for PC to see it. Then I was able to flash in Emergency Recovery mode.

Thank you for the help.

Glad you got your device up and running ?

vibrantliker

Maybe someone can help me. I seemed to have borked my phone. I kept getting "Google is Stopping" with no way to fix it, so I tried reflashing my firmware in odin. After I loaded all the files and hit start, I realized I didn't untick auto reboot, so I tried aborting the installation and ended up with screen (I've had it before and got out of it by still flashing in Odin, but now, if I try to reflash firmware while in this screen, it's stuck on SYSTEM in odin.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_091425.jpg
    IMG_20190712_091425.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 330

fastzombies

Apr 4, 2016
Try this

That is where I got stuck. Are you trying to flash stock or patched firmware? I had to start over with stock as I copied the patched via MTP instead of adb and it got corrupted.

I think what I did was unplug and reset Odin. Wait for screen to turn off, then make sure it is at least 80% charged. Then Bixby + Vol Down + plug in and you will go back to this screen. Then I was able to flash stock. I had to go so far as to re-lock bootloader and flash stock again since my "OEM Unlocking" was not just greyed out but missing. Since then I've had no time to try again, but at least I have a working phone.

This is my anecdotal procedure, can't say if it is the right or best one.

royhanks3

Dec 29, 2011
Hi All,

I was trying to flash the latest firmware for my device (G9750ZCU2ASG4) and during the odin process, my computer restarted which failed the update halfway through. I rebooted the computer, tried again, and it was trying to establish a connection for a really long time, so I disconnected my phone from the USB port on my computer, and held Power and Volume Down to try and force reboot the phone. I was going to try and go back into download mode to restart the process. My phone mentioned something about needing to do an emergency recovery, but I continued to hold down the power and volume down keys and then everything went black on the phone.

I've tried multiple USB cords, all of the button commands known for the device, and have even tried to perform the emergency mode recovery on my device, but it seems like it's in some sort of locked state; What I mean is the phone is stuck on a black screen. I can't "boot" into recovery or into download mode. The phone doesn't even vibrate when I hold the power button or power and down to try and force reboot it. Odin doesn't recognize the phone when I plug it into the computer nor does the device manager on my windows computer.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue or any idea of what else I can do to try and get into download mode to flash my firmware again? All help, suggestions, or comments regarding this are much appreciated.

Ou-baas

Jun 2, 2020
Hi Dude, I am struggling with the same problem, read this post and it came to me, had to come back and give you the solution.
Press bixby+volume down, IMMEDIATELY after the screen goes off, hold volume up and down while connecting the USB cable super fast.

You have got like 10ms to do it

Otherwise it just goes back to the AVB FAIL screen

Blxckcard

Jul 21, 2014
Ran into this issue, none of the above worked for me.

This is how I resolved:

1) Placed phone on wireless charging mat and let it boot to emergency recovery screen

2) Load TWRP into AP slot of Odin and leave the window open on your computer ready to flash

3) Connect phone to computer whilst it's on the mat and press start in Odin as soon as your device appears

It may fail a few times but if your quick you can install TWRP.

4) Now boot into recovery and let your phone charge to a reasonable level (above 20%)

5) Boot into Download mode and flash your desired rim via Odin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you for the help.

Did you try getting into recovery and perform a data factory reset and then see what happens?
    Just load the stock firmware BL, Ap, cp and home csc into Odin if you see emergency teal screen. The emergency screen will start loading

Black screen ....Perhaps your battery is dead?
    Sounds like the battery is dead