[ODIN] ICL53F (no wipe, no recovery, no bootloaders)

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
USB host working only for devices like keyboard, mouse, but USB storage does not :(

You should really read up on this. USB storage is completely unrelated to USB host. The same thing every single person has replied to every single time any similar comment has been posted on here, Google Plus, Google Groups, the larget internet, etc.

You might even go so far as to consult Google WHY USB Storage doesn't work on the Galaxy Nexus. Then you would also understand that it is not something that will change.

letsgoflyers81

Jun 25, 2007
I can't get my computer to recognize the phone in Odin mode. I was able to get the ADB drivers installed with PDAnet and Fastboot worked just fine. However when I connect with Odin it looks for SAMSUNG USB DRIVER which Windows Update won't find. Because of this Odin doesn't see the phone. I uninstalled and reinstalled PDAnet twice, choosing to reinstall the drivers both times, but I still can't get it to work. Am I missing something?

ljwnow

Jul 24, 2007
Does anyone know how to use the full original image? Odin crashes every time!!!

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
The full original image is a series of fastboot images... the .sh file is a Linux script to flash it through fastboot.

Reactions: ljwnow

ljwnow

Jul 24, 2007
Thank you ChainFire! The way the files were packaged puzzled me....Got it working!

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
Glad to see you on the GN scene chainfire: D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

blunden

Jun 11, 2009
You should really read up on this. USB storage is completely unrelated to USB host. The same thing every single person has replied to every single time any similar comment has been posted on here, Google Plus, Google Groups, the larget internet, etc.

You might even go so far as to consult Google WHY USB Storage doesn't work on the Galaxy Nexus. Then you would also understand that it is not something that will change.
Sure, it's unrelated to USB-OTG but it's also unrelated to the G+ posts you are talking about. They mention the phone itself not offering it's partitions over UMS. He is talking about getting the phone to recognize USB-drives though. It's certainly possible since PaulOBrien already got it to work in a custom kernel.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Kies did the trick, thank you! I'm just curious, what's the advantage of using Odin rather than having a flashable ROM to install with CWM?

Whats the advantage over a flashable ROM with CWM ?

The update.zip format is just completely not meant to do complete firmware flashes. With the right script it'll work though. Zips are for archives, not for images.

But ODIN will always work. CWM zip files only work if you have CWM, and I want to use less and less stuff that depends on CWM.

You should let people know to remove their SIM before flashing, assuming this flashes the Radio as well.

Why ?

In all my flashing history, which goes back a few years and across platform, I have never removed the SIM when flashing, and everything still works ...

Reactions: Mawdo

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Sure, it's unrelated to USB-OTG but it's also unrelated to the G+ posts you are talking about. They mention the phone itself not offering it's partitions over UMS. He is talking about getting the phone to recognize USB-drives though. It's certainly possible since PaulOBrien already got it to work in a custom kernel.

The phone does recognize USB drives, it just doesn't automagically mount them for you.

Koyuki-kun

Apr 14, 2010
Rotterdam
Oke so everything went fine.. Updated to 4.0.2 and kept all my data. Great! Now im just having problems to reroot the device. Can anyone help me with that? Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the stripped version of ICL53F.

FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

Changelogs are not fully known yet, but I do know this is Android 4.0.2 and USB host is now working :)

Stripped meaning no bootloaders, no recovery (so you keep your current CWM), and no wipe (so you keep your data).

IMPORTANT: No wipe is only if your device has been previously OEM unlocked. If your device is NOT OEM unlocked, this WILL wipe your data !

It does include kernel, system and modem, and it's an ODIN tar because ... just because !

YAKJU (GSM): http://www.multiupload.com/7C78MDUQG9
    MYSID (LTE): http://www.multiupload.com/3ZZ79I7057

In doubt which one you want ? ADB the following commands:

adb shell getprop ro.product.name
    adb shell getprop ro.build.description
    adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint

The full original Google images can be found here:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/2cd2b16ed56a7e84

ODIN ?!

The (Windows) software is attached. USE THE ATTACHED VERSION. DO NOT USE AN OLDER VERSION. A lot of you will be familiar with ODIN from other Samsung devices... well, it works exactly the same on this device.

Turn off your device, turn it on again by holding volume-down and power to enter ODIN download mode.

Launch the ODIN software, press the PDA button and select the .tar file you extracted from the .zip file you downloaded.

Make sure in the ODIN program "Re-Partition", "Phone EFS Clear", and "Phone Bootloader Update" are NOT checked.

Connect the Android device with your computer and you should see a yellow box in the ODIN program. Press the "Start" button, wait a minute or so, and your device will be booted with this firmware.

Also see the attached image, which has every box you need to look at circled in red :)
    Any chance that I can flash it on to yakjuux and have no problems?

Nobody knows.

To be fair, I don't even know which model I have. I flashed the Google provided stock image of ITL41F within an hour of getting my Nexus last week, due to soft-bricking it (yeah, that quick).

It may work, it may not.
    @zephiK after OP edited #1 i found my answer :) thanks

@Chainfire can you add the mac OSX step by step too plz.

Thanks for sharing this :)

I have no idea what the steps are on Mac OSX.

Hi Chain fire

First of all its nice to see you on the Nexus section. Don't know what I would have down without your fantastic rooted kernels on the SGS2.

Do you loose root and boot loader is locked again if you flash this 53F?

You will lose root. If you have CWM recovery installed you can just flash a Superuser package through recovery, as CWM is not overwritten by this flash.

This flash does not include bootloaders, and will not re-lock your bootloaders.

(It even appears ODIN will unlock your bootloader if it was locked)

Hey Chainfire good to see you here!

I heard that the new bootloader might solve the charging issue...can you confirm?

Also really would like to see cf-root kernels...used them alot on my sgs1 and sgs2...always the best kernels for me

Can't confirm because I don't know. I have only had the charging issue when using custom kernels, the stock kernel had no issue for me.

Not sure if I will release a CF-Root... as this device has a separate recovery partition, there is not that much need for CF-Root... It's still handy though, of course.

Should the bootloaders prove needed and/or helpful, I will release a separate bootloader package so you can flash those later.
    Anyone know if I can use this tar file with Heimdall?

Don't know for sure, but I don't see why not ...
    mysid variant has not been tested by me. Please let me know if the radio flashes properly... if not I'll update the package.

Radio flashed flawlessly here :)