• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Odin stock flash not working, don't know what else to try SM-N960U

Search This thread

dfresh55

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hello everyone- I hope someone can give me some advice i haven't tried yet on my issue. This is my first post and i searched through a million forums for ideas, my apologies if i missed anything or if anything below is unclear. I tried to list everything out that i have tried in case i missed anything.

Note 9 - SM-N960U (TMB) went into a boot loop randomly (possible after a Samsung update as it happened overnight).

Steps I've taken so far:
- Tried the normal steps first as instructed by Samsung, clear cache-partition, factory reset device etc - still stuck in boot loop.
- Took phone to authorized Samsung service center, they could not fix. phone now on blue screen "An error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC Software"
- Smart switch recovery software would not recognize the phone, updated drivers multiple times, still no detection.
-Downloaded stock TMB firmware from SamMobile (N960USQS9FUG2) - Tried to flash with Odin (versions 3.13 and 3.14 - patched and unpatched) kept getting stuck at vendor.img.ext4 in CSC file or system.img.ext4 in the AP file.
-Tried to Re-Partition without Pit file and with the pit file - PIT file name: CROWNQLTE_USA_SINGLE.pit - Odin would get stuck on same files.
-Tried to re-partition with Nand Erase selected and Pit file attached - Odin would freeze at setting the partition.

Is there anything else i can try or is this phone officially a paper weight?

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
You are able to flash firmware from the emergency screen. When one of my devices did this I was able to get things up and running with Odin flash from that screen. I can't remember what partition was broken when it happened on my Note 8, but the only way to fix was putting in new mother board. I'm not saying go this route. Might try combination firmware. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong. I tried to flash stock on my SM-N950U after being rooted. It would show pass in Odin but would never boot..just bootloader. As I said above my only option was new motherboard. I wish I could find the message from a developer that helps me a ton, and which partition it was that was the issue. If I find it I will let you know.

dfresh55

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
You are able to flash firmware from the emergency screen. When one of my devices did this I was able to get things up and running with Odin flash from that screen. I can't remember what partition was broken when it happened on my Note 8, but the only way to fix was putting in new mother board. I'm not saying go this route. Might try combination firmware. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong. I tried to flash stock on my SM-N950U after being rooted. It would show pass in Odin but would never boot..just bootloader. As I said above my only option was new motherboard. I wish I could find the message from a developer that helps me a ton, and which partition it was that was the issue. If I find it I will let you know.

Thanks for the reply @butchieboy, If you find those messages i would definitely appreciate it! I should have specified that i was able to run the Odin flash from the recovery page. That's a good idea to try combination firmware, never done it before though. Would i just try an older AP or CSC with the up to date other files? or just a combination of old and new and see if something happens?
Overall i think i may be in the boat you were in with your Note 8- something seems seriously wrong with the memory partitions that seem like it may be unfixable via flash. i'll have to see if i can find a motherboard that's worth the price to see if it's worth it at this point.