OEM skin/software

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Are you comfortable in your own skin? Is your phone comfortable in its skin? Rate this thread to express how you deem the skin on the Google Pixel 2. A higher rating indicates that you love it: it adds just the right amount of features, it's visually pleasing, and overall it's additive to the experience. If this is a Nexus phone (you didn't think we hand-wrote all of these prompts, did you?) then use this rating to indicate how the latest version of Android looks to you.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

isaak

Sep 21, 2013
Honestly, it's too basic. I appreciate how light it is, but it could really use more features built in to make the phone more customizable.

Could you make some concrete example of important missing features in android 8.1 stock?
I'd like to buy it, but I need more info first.

Last edited:

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Could you make some concrete example of important missing features in android 8.1 stock?
I'd like to buy it, but I need more info first.

Cannot program hardware buttons to launch custom quick actions like flashlight or calculator.

No native theme support.

Cannot take a scrolling screen capture or edit the screenshot immediately before sharing or saving.

No support for advanced gestures to launch shortcuts.

Basically, you can't do anything that most other manufactures bake into their skins. I know the XDA community has historically hated skinned versions of Android, but the hardware couldn't keep up with the software in years past. Now, it's no longer an issue for most mid range and higher devices and the additional features of those skins are sorely missed in the Google Pixel line.

I had to root just to do half of what is listed above.

matrix0886

Sep 21, 2011
Houston
Cannot ... edit the screenshot immediately before sharing or saving.

.............uh....yeah, You can. Just took a screenshot. Opened up the screenshot and hey look, an edit option.

The only feature i'm interested in, though, is a Private Mode. I loved it on my Galaxy S6. Any pictures I took while it was turned on were completely hidden as soon as I turned it off. I know there are apps out there for hiding pictures but

A. do I really trust them that much?
B. You have to take a picture, open the app, enter your password, select "import", select you image(s), select enter. It was nice just being able to tap "Private Mode" and enter my pin and BOOM. Done. From there, just take a picture and it automatically saves to the private folder.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
.............uh....yeah, You can. Just took a screenshot. Opened up the screenshot and hey look, an edit option.

The only feature i'm interested in, though, is a Private Mode. I loved it on my Galaxy S6. Any pictures I took while it was turned on were completely hidden as soon as I turned it off. I know there are apps out there for hiding pictures but

A. do I really trust them that much?
B. You have to take a picture, open the app, enter your password, select "import", select you image(s), select enter. It was nice just being able to tap "Private Mode" and enter my pin and BOOM. Done. From there, just take a picture and it automatically saves to the private folder.
That's not what I mean. The screen shot of already saved; therefore, as you said, you have to open the saved file and then edit and then save again. I'm taking about doing it right from the screenshot menu that many other Android devices have. Even the crappy iPhone has it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly, it's too basic. I appreciate how light it is, but it could really use more features built in to make the phone more customizable.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone