OEM UNLOCK option missing

Search This thread

kdraw44

Oct 7, 2012
Macon, Georgia
I need to know if the SM-986U1 bootloader is un-lockable. I bought this phone new, factory unlocked. Activated service with Boost Mobile and everything works great but the (allow OEM unlock) option in developer mode is missing. Can someone please help?

3dux

Aug 3, 2008
I must've done some misreading when I decided to order this phone. I thought I saw that it had an unlocked bootloader and now I'm seeing different since it came in the mail today... I'm hoping the thing to unlock it isn't a huge pain in the behind or I'm sending this crap back.

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I must've done some misreading when I decided to order this phone. I thought I saw that it had an unlocked bootloader and now I'm seeing different since it came in the mail today... I'm hoping the thing to unlock it isn't a huge pain in the behind or I'm sending this crap back.

most likely you misunderstood samsungs or whoevers terminology that u ordered from.. they likely listed it as "unlocked" but didnt specify as beimg sim/carrier unlocked.

no phones ever come BL unlocked. youre better off searching xda for that info next time then u are going off what u read online or by ev3n asking employees cuz they also dont know what theyre talking about 99% if the time

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
Wonder those that have had the USA U or U1 models bootloader unlocked finally achieved being able to use dual sim functionality or not?
I think they will need to flash a firmware from a region that supports it, otherwise we are also limited by hardware in North America. The sim tray is designed to not allow two Sims.

Limeybastard

Oct 3, 2013
Florida unfortunately.
I think they will need to flash a firmware from a region that supports it, otherwise we are also limited by hardware in North America. The sim tray is designed to not allow two Sims.
Indeed. Since just unlocking the BL would be the first step ( major ). The ATT and perhaps Verizon ones have dual imei on boxes incase you weren't aware and the general consensus appears to be that they do posses the HW but are crippled by the software that prevents eSim functionality.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
Indeed. Since just unlocking the BL would be the first step ( major ). The ATT and perhaps Verizon ones have dual imei on boxes incase you weren't aware and the general consensus appears to be that they do posses the HW but are crippled by the software that prevents eSim functionality.
You are right, I am aware. One thing that you should know is that there can only be one sim in NA (North America) variants. The two IMEIs are there coz one is for e-Sim. Now this e-Sim capability is crippled by using software.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
Yeah that's what I said. Lawd have mercy ???
LOL my bad my sleepy head was trying to help some one flash beta on a live chat at the time and somehow I didn't read esim, probably just read it as sim.
To be honest I really want that functionality and one of the reasons I bought it unlocked was for esim. I ordered OnLine and when it arrived I was disappointed to see only one imei Samsung no where said they will disable the capability and sell it so frustrating.

Last edited: