• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question "OEM unlocking" grayed out on Moto G Play 2021

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Ooooh dang. I mangled this convo. Clarification, the Moto G Stylus (not Play) is my lady's phone. The phone I'm currently struggling with is a G6 (unlocked version XT1925-6). That one is Ali. Her Stylus is codename Minsk. I unlocked and rooted her Stylus (via Magisk patch) months ago, no problems there. Serious apologies for channeling down the wrong road in this thread.
No worries, which device it is shouldn't matter, unlocking moto devices has been the same for last 5 years or so.
I just like details to compare to.

Reactions: Moondroid

randysbytes

Jul 31, 2021
I happen to be in the same position unlocking the Play 2021, bootloader unlocking is greyed out. Interestingly enough, it updated but it can't seem to check for new updates, maybe there is a communication problem with the phone and Motorola's servers? (See attached screenshots)

However I also tried to put it in fastboot mode and run the unlock code the same as I did on my Motorola G Stylus (the one linked here) and it did not work at all, i get the following error:
FAILED (remote: Command not supported in default implementation)

I am using the newest fastboot on Linux Mint.
fastboot version 31.0.3-7562133

Really want to unlock it and apply magisk, mine is from Google FI ($50, absolute great deal), and unlocked. Fi support confirmed its unlocked on their end.

Like the other poster here, I have a Motorola G Stylus unlocked using the exact same methods as every other Motorola phone, that doesn't seem to be working on this phone!

Should I try a factory reset or reflashing the firmware from lolinet and a factory reset? Is there any fix for this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-46-45.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-46-45.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-47-08.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-47-08.png
    41 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-47-42.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-30_19-47-42.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 14

Moondroid

Feb 12, 2015
I happen to be in the same position unlocking the Play 2021, bootloader unlocking is greyed out....
However I also tried to put it in fastboot mode and run the unlock code the same as I did on my Motorola G Stylus (the one linked here) and it did not work at all, i get the following error:
FAILED (remote: Command not supported in default implementation)
Should I try a factory reset or reflashing the firmware from lolinet and a factory reset? Is there any fix for this?
Factory reset most likely won't help ungray OEM Unlock. I tried that, 6 days later I'm still waiting. Current advice in at least one of the Lenovo forums is 7 days, with a data connection, but to me that sounds like nothing but a seat-of-the-pants guess. ("Try it." So much for "expert advice".) You got an update, so you've already connected at least for that.

Tomorrow will be a full week for me since I tried the FDR. If I get OEM Unlock tomorrow I'll be sure to notify this thread in particular, and probably one or two others.

Reactions: sd_shadow

Moondroid

Feb 12, 2015
Update on my no-unlock situation . . . . .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm a three day time gate on the Moto G Play 2021 I got through T-Mobile Monday. The OEM Unlock has been greyed out since I first booted. Today, Thursday, after the 72 hour window, the toggle became accessable.
    Tried factory reset. Tried with and without Wifi after factory reset. I don't have a sim for it yet. So can't get LTE.

Can't find a "CID code" list in your post. Do you mean a list with CID's that lets you know if your phone can be unlocked? I found my CID is allowed for unlocking on Motorola's site.

Do you know why a delay might work? You think there is a timer or something for unlocking?

Thanks
    There's a link in my Bootloader unlock thread, to the official cid list, you likely have seen already.
    I don't know if wifi/lte is needed just going by what has been reported in the forums for last few years.
    You can wait or return the device, there isn't any other options that I know of.
    Weirdly (or absurdly), yesterday I found a Lenovo forum post that says it might take up to a week to get OEM Unlock. I posted on it (here) to see if anybody else has had the same experience that I'm still in the middle of -- THREE days, on WiFi, still no unlock.

Strange(r) thing is the "advice" from Moto/Lenovo in the link relates to a 3-year-old phone. I bought a Moto G6 (carrier-unlocked & BL-unlockable -6) in mint condition, updated to latest Pie (April 2020 security patch).

But maybe the G6/plus/play is just extra-odd? I've owned and rooted or unlocked 6-8 Moto phones (see my sig, not a complete list) and I've never in the past waited more than a few minutes to get OEM Unlock enabled. And all it took with my lady's Moto G Stylus '21 was making a WiFi connection, as has been super-typical for me.

I guess I'm just babbling out of frustration. Seems this mystery only gets weirder.

Edit to add, your last comment addresses one niddly little question I put forth in my post linked above . . . my CID (0x032) says the phone is unlockable, and I already got the unlock link from Moto. Is there ANY other detail, in getvar or anywhere, that might reveal that a phone is NOT unlockable?
    The CID is the only thing to look at, that I know of.
    Usually, OEM unlock is available within 3 days, but some have reported a couple of weeks.
    Factory Reset seems to help if it's been over 3 days, but you will need to reconnect to the internet.
    Thanks man. I haven't tried FDR yet, afraid of starting the countdown all over again. But if I don't get unlock in the next day or two I'll give it a shot.

Edit-- I was wondering as much as anything if maybe this phone could be an unlockable Amazon variant that had been blasted with stock firmware to hide the fact. But I don't even know how that could be done.
    If it was an Amazon version the CID would be different.
    The getvar all will have the software channel and other info
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all
    Ooooh dang. I mangled this convo. Clarification, the Moto G Stylus (not Play) is my lady's phone. The phone I'm currently struggling with is a G6 (unlocked version XT1925-6). That one is Ali. Her Stylus is codename Minsk. I unlocked and rooted her Stylus (via Magisk patch) months ago, no problems there. Serious apologies for channeling down the wrong road in this thread.
    No worries, which device it is shouldn't matter, unlocking moto devices has been the same for last 5 years or so.
    I just like details to compare to.