OEM Unlocking Grayed out on non-VZW Pixel 2.

Search This thread

mtpease

May 16, 2012
Atlanta
Hi!

I originally bought an unlocked phone from Google and I had zero issues unlocking the bootloader, rooting, etc. I was issued a warranty replacement for an unrelated issue.

I inserted my VZW sim and booted up this new phone. I was able to check the OEM unlocking slider and enter my pin. When I rebooted to fastboot and tried to unlock, I was unsuccessful. Booting back into android showed the OEM unlocking option grayed out.

What gives? What can I try?

Thanks!

*Edit: Also worth noting - If I do a factory reset, the OEM unlocking option will be enabled already. If you try to unlock it in fastboot, it will fail. Rebooting again results in it being grayed out again.

Last edited:

mtpease

May 16, 2012
Atlanta
So, it came with the latest build then, or did you update via OTA?

Something to try: factory reset, turn it off, remove the SIM card, and give it another shot without connecting to wifi and skipping all the setup stuff. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

It came with something older, but it wasn't working with that either.

I tried the factory reset thing with no sim, but still on WiFi. The settings app kept crashung.

It seems like the VZW sim somehow permenantly locked my phone. I've done like 5 resets, and sometimes the OEM unlock slider is already off, sometimes it lets me toggle it back and forth. No matter what happens, after running the fastboot command (and failing), it will be grayed out. Rinse and repeat.

joelphilippage

Apr 18, 2015
Phoenix
Have you called google with your IMEI number to confirm that it isn't a Verizon phone?

I just returned an Amazon refurbished Pixel 2 for this reason. They claimed it was factory unlocked, but I contacted Google who informed me that it was actually a Verizon phone that had probably had been unlocked for different carriers during the refurbishing process. I am exchanging it for another. They are not able to check the phone before it is delivered to me, so I am just going to hope I get a non-Verizon one this time or try the exploit mentioned on the forums immediately before connecting to WiFi or Cellular data.

Last edited:

DuckRuckus

Sep 29, 2017
It came with something older, but it wasn't working with that either.

I tried the factory reset thing with no sim, but still on WiFi. The settings app kept crashung.

It seems like the VZW sim somehow permenantly locked my phone. I've done like 5 resets, and sometimes the OEM unlock slider is already off, sometimes it lets me toggle it back and forth. No matter what happens, after running the fastboot command (and failing), it will be grayed out. Rinse and repeat.

The only other thing I can suggest is to sideload that same build's OTA without the SIM in. That might get rid of any changes that the Verizon SIM may have made, as it will format everything before it installs. If that works, do everything you want to (root, recovery, kernel) before putting the SIM back in. That's all I can think of doing.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Have you called google with your IMEI number to confirm that it isn't a Verizon phone?

I just returned an Amazon refurbished Pixel 2 for this reason. They claimed it was factory unlocked, but I contacted Google who informed me that it was actually a Verizon phone that had probably had been unlocked for different carriers during the refurbishing process. I am exchanging it for another. They are not able to check the phone before it is delivered to me, so I am just going to hope I get a non-Verizon one this time or try the exploit mentioned on the forums immediately before connecting to WiFi or Cellular data.
All of Verizon's phones are carrier unlocked from the factory, and have been for quite some time. But, as far as being bl unlockable, that's a whole nother animal. Definitely good advice to check the IMEI with Google. Verizon can also do that for you, and it might be faster. I thought of that too, but it was my understanding that warranty claims we're filled with brand new units, but repairs potentially got you a refurbished one, so I ruled that out. I've been wrong before :silly:

mtpease

May 16, 2012
Atlanta
The only other thing I can suggest is to sideload that same build's OTA without the SIM in. That might get rid of any changes that the Verizon SIM may have made, as it will format everything before it installs. If that works, do everything you want to (root, recovery, kernel) before putting the SIM back in. That's all I can think of doing.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

All of Verizon's phones are carrier unlocked from the factory, and have been for quite some time. But, as far as being bl unlockable, that's a whole nother animal. Definitely good advice to check the IMEI with Google. Verizon can also do that for you, and it might be faster. I thought of that too, but it was my understanding that warranty claims we're filled with brand new units, but repairs potentially got you a refurbished one, so I ruled that out. I've been wrong before :silly:

I opened a chat window with Google, and they confirmed that it is in fact an unlocked device. He also had me "screen share" so he could see the problem. So far, no resolution. I sideloaded the current OTA twice, to make sure it was in the a and b slots. Then I tried setting up the phone without a sim or wifi, which didn't work. I also tried wifi with no sim, that didn't work either.

If I try the fastboot flashing unlock command, when I boot up, the OEM unlocking option will be grayed out. Any time I boot up from a factory reset, the OEM unlocking option is already selected on.

DuckRuckus

Sep 29, 2017
I opened a chat window with Google, and they confirmed that it is in fact an unlocked device. He also had me "screen share" so he could see the problem. So far, no resolution. I sideloaded the current OTA twice, to make sure it was in the a and b slots. Then I tried setting up the phone without a sim or wifi, which didn't work. I also tried wifi with no sim, that didn't work either.

If I try the fastboot flashing unlock command, when I boot up, the OEM unlocking option will be grayed out. Any time I boot up from a factory reset, the OEM unlocking option is already selected on.
First of all, could Google confirm whether your device was new, or refurbished? The second thing I would ask of Verizon is, whether the IMEI of your device has been registered to their network before you received it. I know it's a Google phone, but the previous owner, if refurbished, might have applied a VZW update from Google, rather than a global stock image or OTA, thinking that it would be a good thing. Then, realizing that they screwed up, relocked it and tried their best to return it to stock and send it back for replacement under whatever guise they chose. That's my best guess as of now.

My P2 came from VZW with the Dec patch, and the bl unlock wasn't greyed out. Didn't really matter because I could use the exploit out of the box without toggling it. But, once I unlocked it, the toggle went grey, and the phone still remains unlocked, even after the April factory image update (skipped Feb and Mar).

In summary, if your device is truly stock Google, you shouldn't be having these issues, which is a valid reason for a replacement. If it isn't, you have a valid reason for yet another replacement, refurbished or not, that IS stock Google. Press the issue...you paid a lot of money for it!

mtpease

May 16, 2012
Atlanta
First of all, could Google confirm whether your device was new, or refurbished? The second thing I would ask of Verizon is, whether the IMEI of your device has been registered to their network before you received it. I know it's a Google phone, but the previous owner, if refurbished, might have applied a VZW update from Google, rather than a global stock image or OTA, thinking that it would be a good thing. Then, realizing that they screwed up, relocked it and tried their best to return it to stock and send it back for replacement under whatever guise they chose. That's my best guess as of now.

My P2 came from VZW with the Dec patch, and the bl unlock wasn't greyed out. Didn't really matter because I could use the exploit out of the box without toggling it. But, once I unlocked it, the toggle went grey, and the phone still remains unlocked, even after the April factory image update (skipped Feb and Mar).

In summary, if your device is truly stock Google, you shouldn't be having these issues, which is a valid reason for a replacement. If it isn't, you have a valid reason for yet another replacement, refurbished or not, that IS stock Google. Press the issue...you paid a lot of money for it!

I spoke with Verizon. The only time this phone has been used on their network is when it was activated on my account a few days ago. Google says it's unlocked. I'm still waiting for their response. My current theory is that it some how got locked when it recognized the verizon sim, but I really can be sure.

giant22000

Oct 2, 2011
I spoke with Verizon. The only time this phone has been used on their network is when it was activated on my account a few days ago. Google says it's unlocked. I'm still waiting for their response. My current theory is that it some how got locked when it recognized the verizon sim, but I really can be sure.

Seems like I heard in the past that even play store pixel devices had to be bootloader unlocked prior to jumping on Verizon's network as it was making devices non bootloader unlockable.

So in other words, if your phone was on the vzw network prior unlocking the bootloader regardless if it is a play store pixel, you might be hosed... rma

owner232

Apr 10, 2017
Having the same issue, I bought this phone and it works on ATT's network but i cannot unlock the bootloader. Kind of strange. oem unlock is greyed out. Ive reset it 10 times. trying after every update connecting to the internet and not from sept 2017 all the way to latest update. nothing changed the adb unlock command just says unable to unlock

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
Having the same issue, I bought this phone and it works on ATT's network but i cannot unlock the bootloader. Kind of strange. oem unlock is greyed out. Ive reset it 10 times. trying after every update connecting to the internet and not from sept 2017 all the way to latest update. nothing changed the adb unlock command just says unable to unlock

if you are on Sep 2017 update, dont worry about OEM unlock.

Side load the jan update, and unlock the bootloader.

details here - https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/how-to/unlock-bootloader-verizon-pixel-2-t3730076

read carefully.

owner232

Apr 10, 2017
if you are on Sep 2017 update, dont worry about OEM unlock.

Side load the jan update, and unlock the bootloader.

details here - https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/how-to/unlock-bootloader-verizon-pixel-2-t3730076

read carefully.

Unfortunately I already updated to the latest Version, I contacted the seller i got the phone from they said its a refurbished Verizon phone unlocked for any carrier and it has nothing verizon on the os.
Crap.... Can i at least get root on this thing?

ajrty33

Jul 31, 2010
Seems like I heard in the past that even play store pixel devices had to be bootloader unlocked prior to jumping on Verizon's network as it was making devices non bootloader unlockable.

So in other words, if your phone was on the vzw network prior unlocking the bootloader regardless if it is a play store pixel, you might be hosed... rma
That's not true.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
If it's a truly a Google phone, you can put any SIM in it you want to and the unlock slider will be available. Putting a Verizon SIM in it won't lock it down. I've unlocked mine and a couple others for other people. All of them had a Verizon SIM in them at the time and the unlock slider was still available. If it's a Google phone (or supposed to be) and you've already tried factory resetting it, your best bet is to RMA it. Something isn't right with it.

fishsupreme

Dec 27, 2011
I have the same problem - phone unlocked but needed warranty replacement, can't unlock the warranty replacement due to exactly the same behavior where the option is greyed out, and even if I flash an image and turn the option on, I still can't do a fastboot flashing unlock and trying to do so greys out the option again.

However, I am not even on Verizon. I've tried with a T-Mobile SIM and with no SIM. So the Verizon SIM is probably not even the issue.

Google couldn't figure it out and sent me a second warranty replacement phone... which has the same issue.

Last edited:

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
Hello there. Experiencing the same issue. It's clearly a software problem. I have a Google Store, non Verizon, and I have RMA'ed it twice and both units CAN't be OEM unlocked. It's clearly a software problem because:

1. On factory reset OEM unlock options shows up and can be toggled
  2. But when you go to fastboot, issuing 'fastboot flashing unlock' will return an error saying it's not allowed to be unlocked
  3. On the next reboot OEM unlock toggle is now disabled. Only way to get it back is through factory reset with wifi connection, but that brings us back to 1 and the cycle repeats.

I guess it's pointless to RMA the device again. Reading here other people are experiencing the same problem. None of the devices have ever been on Verizon and are straight out from Google Store.

fishsupreme

Dec 27, 2011
Despite it clearly being a software problem, Google is sending me a 4th phone now. It's obvious they don't know what's going on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This looks to be a problem with the "refurbished" Pixel 2s they send out for warranty replacement. After sending me 3 "refurbished" ones, they now said I qualify for an exception to receive a new phone, and got the new one -- which worked immediately without any problems. Notably, in Developer Options, the "OEM Unlocking" slider is off after a factory reset, not on as on the refurbs.

Also curious: if you do a adb shell getprop ro.boot.cid, you should see VZW__001 on a Verizon phone and 11111111 on a Google phone. My refurbished phones, as well as the new one I just received, all returned 00000000.

The refurbished phones all shipped with a 3/2018 patch date, whereas the new one shipped with a 9/2017 patch date. That might also be part of the issue.
    Mine was a brand new device. I did update to the June security patch before I finally got it to work. I refused to install my SIM card (which is Verizon) until I managed to get the bootloader unlocked.
    What build number are you on?
    The resale value? For whom, a few XDA users? No one cares about bl unlock any longer and it's going to go away. The resale value is due to it's great support in terms of updates, the camera and the device itself. Don't think that bl unlock will continue for any length of time at this point. Here's an article for you that portends what is coming down the pike. Get used to it, sorry to say.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/24/huawei-halts-bootloader-unlock-program-indefinitely/

Agree that it's probably going away... But disagree "no one cares about BL unlock". I care... LOL:p
    I have the same issue, refurbished replacement from Google. The option is available on first boot after factory reset but fastboot command does nothing. After reboot, option is greyed out. Has there been any developement on this? Or am i stuck in their RMA cycle until they wise up and send a new one... Ive reached out to them and requested a new device based on the info provided here and reddit etc.. its been escalated to management but i highly doubt its going to be resolved to my satisfaction..