OEM Unlocking Grayed out on non-VZW Pixel 2.

Search This thread

wassco

Jul 4, 2012
Received an RMA from Rogers, Refurbed for sure as it came in a random white box just the handset. bootloader unlock enabled by default, fastboot command denied, system reboot greyed out.

Im not bothering tinkering with it with all these similar reviews. ill just cross my fingers someone would like to trade for a newish looking pixel 2 for an equally similar model.

amtrak23

Aug 17, 2009
My 4th RMA'd phone was returned to them on the January 2nd and they have still not refunded the $700 charge from when they sent the first refurb back in the beginning of November.

So 4 replacements, and all 4 with locked bootloaders. Camera started crashing at the beginning of August after Pie update and I still can't take pictures unless airplane mode is on.

It's very frustrating dealing with Google support, then project Fi support some of the times. It really seems like both sides don't have a clue. Actually had someone on the Google side send me an RMA email with the wrong IMEI and said it was fine to use the label as they would figure it out on their end. That took another hour long phone call to get sorted out.

Reactions: mookiexl

flasher97

Jan 5, 2013
All was ok until one day i kept phone for charging and the phone dint switch on...Was on Oreo 8.1 with OEM unlocking enabled..
Sent phone for warranty and was said they changed the PCB board and sent back working condition with Pie Rom installed...
After using Pie for a month decided to go back to OREO...Surprisingly OEM unlocking was greyed out,tried all methods listed in pixel 2 and pixel 3 post but none got it enabled...Got fustrated and decided to keep using Pie..after some days was checking out Background Check option and noticed a app named SpirntDM..Searched for it on google and found its for sprint carrier service...so i assume the board is refurbished from sprint and no way to get OEM unlocked..Any suggestion would be helpful..BTW i am from india..

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
... and noticed a app named SpirntDM..Searched for it on google and found its for sprint carrier service...so i assume the board is refurbished from sprint and no way to get OEM unlocked..Any suggestion would be helpful..BTW i am from india..

All Pixel 2 have 'SprintDM'. I think it's for Google Fi switching support. Also, Pixel 2 was never sold by Sprint so your board is probably still OEM. But then, all refurbished phones/boards by Google seem to have the OEM grayed box issue that it's unlikely they'll ever address at this point.

flasher97

Jan 5, 2013
All Pixel 2 have 'SprintDM'. I think it's for Google Fi switching support. Also, Pixel 2 was never sold by Sprint so your board is probably still OEM. But then, all refurbished phones/boards by Google seem to have the OEM grayed box issue that it's unlikely they'll ever address at this point.

Sorry but before replace in Board i was on Oreo 8.1 and it dint have SprintDM or any trace or it..

spyngamerman

Oct 11, 2008
this is known intentional issue they know how to fix but intentionally are not as they want people to upgrade earlier when there device becomes a paperweight when they decide 3 years is all a 900$ device should last. And damned if you're going to keep unlocked bootloader

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/68897739

I recommend filing a claim with BBB as well and if anyone knows of a Class action count me in. I have lots of logs and chats where they admitted it shouldn't be happening and that there looking into it and then when i get upset about the 3 months going in back and forth they pretend to be helpful and ask for yet another useless bug report i have already submitted numerous times.

sylar980

Mar 14, 2019
pixel 2 grayed oem unlock

hi friends, I'm from bolivia and buy a pixel 2 (it's not the verizon edition)
and I can not unblock the bootloader ... the reason why I want to do it is to install a new rom ... because currently in the rom that I have the camera can not open ... crashea and the youtube app it is loading ... it does not show me a video or anything similar .... and the unlock oem is gray (I manage to make it blue, but when I put in adb fastboot oem unlock or fastboot flashing unlock, I always get the same thing: flashing unlock not allowed, and when turning oem unlock it is gray again) here my fastboot oem device-info
bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 0.016s

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
hi friends, I'm from bolivia and buy a pixel 2 (it's not the verizon edition)
and I can not unblock the bootloader ... the reason why I want to do it is to install a new rom ... because currently in the rom that I have the camera can not open ... crashea and the youtube app it is loading ... it does not show me a video or anything similar .... and the unlock oem is gray (I manage to make it blue, but when I put in adb fastboot oem unlock or fastboot flashing unlock, I always get the same thing: flashing unlock not allowed, and when turning oem unlock it is gray again) here my fastboot oem device-info
bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 0.016s
In developer options to you also allow USB debugging?

Reactions: sylar980

farrenicus

Oct 1, 2013
Someone who first received an un-unlockable refurb 64GB black warranty replacement recently received a brand new phone as a replacement for it. Too bad Google has long been out of stock of new 128GBs.

penguinyaro

Apr 10, 2011
Of course I'm experiencing the same nonsense with refurbished units as everyone else. After chatting with them today though again about this I received this BS response:

I am really sorry that you were unable to unlock the device's bootloader. If the device was locked, OEM unlocking option in Developers mode would be grayed out and you would not be able to access the Bootloader as you are able to do now. Device state locked means that the device verifies the trusted OS and then proceeds with booting to the Home screen. This prevents the user from adding a third party OS onto the device. However, in order to add any third party OS, you will have to root the device, which will change the device state to unlocked. Please note, this will also void the warranty for your device.

Apparently, unlocking the bootloader is the same as rooting now? And doing so voids your warranty?

I have asked for a new replacement, but they have refused. Perhaps I will try again.

farrenicus

Oct 1, 2013
Of course I'm experiencing the same nonsense with refurbished units as everyone else. After chatting with them today though again about this I received this BS response:

Apparently, unlocking the bootloader is the same as rooting now? And doing so voids your warranty?

I have asked for a new replacement, but they have refused. Perhaps I will try again.

Extraordinary statement. When I bought my P2, their policy was that unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting would NOT void the warranty. Has this changed?

https://phandroid.com/2017/10/20/google-pixel-2-root-warranty/

The terms of the warranty would have to be quite gross to apply retroactively. You should call them back, though. Your (and my) warranty replacement is half the device your original, unlockable device was. It's not a "replacement in kind".

Reactions: penguinyaro

l7777

May 2, 2007

When presented with a problem that cannot be solved, all support people will resort to saying whatever they can to get you to leave them alone. Rarely does any of it match actual company policy or carry any legal weight.

penguinyaro

Apr 10, 2011
When presented with a problem that cannot be solved, all support people will resort to saying whatever they can to get you to leave them alone. Rarely does any of it match actual company policy or carry any legal weight.

The latest thing that happened is that now they say the cosmetic damage the initial representative said was okay is now no longer okay. I would not have initiated this process at all if they were clear on this in the beginning. I even sent them pictures to show the damage. Now all I've done is waste 2 months sending phones back and forth, and my problem hasn't been fixed.

garlicsalt2

Mar 31, 2007
Whittier, California
Hello,
I was given the task of downgrading about 20 Google Pixel 2 devices for a client who does Android development. I’m not usually an Android guy, but I have worked with them before. I tried one of them as a test run, to see how feasible it was. It worked just fine. I then got the other 19. So far I have been able to unlock 2 of them. Another 6 have had the OEM unlock option grayed out.

I have tried different things on different units: running an Internet update, factory resetting, factory resetting and connecting to WiFi during setup, applying the latest update via adb sideload. So far, nothing has fixed the ones that were grayed out. For reference, all of them were purchased factory unlocked. None of them have SIM cards. To the best of my knowledge, all are brand new, but it is possible that some/all are refurbished. All came with Android 9.0 installed. The owner wants 8.0 installed on all of them.

The last one I tried has the same issue as the OP. OEM Unlocking is enabled, but a reboot via either adb reboot bootloader or by powering off and back on while holding Volume down, shows the status is locked. Attempting fastboot flashing unlock fails.

How would I go about contacting Google with the serial or IMEI numbers to see if there is a correlation?

Last edited:

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
LG G Pad 8.3
Google Pixel 2
I had the same issue. OEM unlock worked fine on original Px2. It broke and I got a refurb. Could not unlock. I had 20 calls and chat sessions with Google. On the second call they apologized and sent me another refurb. Surprise, same issue. 19 annoyances and 3 months later I badgered them into sending me a brand new replacement, not a refurb. Problem solved for now! This should not be the process, but good luck to those that suffer as I did.

Google support is god awful in their refusal to accept this is a real issue though. I want my time back for all the stress of dealing with their refusal to acknowledge the problem or how to solve it. In the end they still did not acknowledge they messed up. It was a surprise "okay here is your new phone" after rejecting me for so long without cause.

trojjanhorse

Dec 23, 2009
Toronto
This is ridiculous. I have had this issue since I received a replacement for my Pixel 2. I originally received the device from Bell and had it replaced by Google. They literally give you any farfetched reason as to why it's not their problem. The pixel 2 comes with 2 years warranty and the retailer offers only 1 year. It's disappointing that Google won't take the responsibility to address this. I am now stuck with a device I cannot bootloader unlock.

iluvatrix

Aug 23, 2012
Hi there I'm considering buying a used P2 & am concerned about the OEM unlock issue.
Please refer to the screen shot of the Developer options that is attached. Is this sufficient to confirm that the bootloader is unlockable?
Thanks a lot for your support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-091104.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-091104.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 236

NikoZBK

May 8, 2011
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hi there I'm considering buying a used P2 & am concerned about the OEM unlock issue.
Please refer to the screen shot of the Developer options that is attached. Is this sufficient to confirm that the bootloader is unlockable?
Thanks a lot for your support.

No, I can toggle oem unlock right after factory resetting but it still won't work. I would contact the seller and ask them to take a picture of the "fastboot flashing unlock" command in fastboot to see if it goes through.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This looks to be a problem with the "refurbished" Pixel 2s they send out for warranty replacement. After sending me 3 "refurbished" ones, they now said I qualify for an exception to receive a new phone, and got the new one -- which worked immediately without any problems. Notably, in Developer Options, the "OEM Unlocking" slider is off after a factory reset, not on as on the refurbs.

Also curious: if you do a adb shell getprop ro.boot.cid, you should see VZW__001 on a Verizon phone and 11111111 on a Google phone. My refurbished phones, as well as the new one I just received, all returned 00000000.

The refurbished phones all shipped with a 3/2018 patch date, whereas the new one shipped with a 9/2017 patch date. That might also be part of the issue.
    Mine was a brand new device. I did update to the June security patch before I finally got it to work. I refused to install my SIM card (which is Verizon) until I managed to get the bootloader unlocked.
    What build number are you on?
    The resale value? For whom, a few XDA users? No one cares about bl unlock any longer and it's going to go away. The resale value is due to it's great support in terms of updates, the camera and the device itself. Don't think that bl unlock will continue for any length of time at this point. Here's an article for you that portends what is coming down the pike. Get used to it, sorry to say.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/24/huawei-halts-bootloader-unlock-program-indefinitely/

Agree that it's probably going away... But disagree "no one cares about BL unlock". I care... LOL:p
    I have the same issue, refurbished replacement from Google. The option is available on first boot after factory reset but fastboot command does nothing. After reboot, option is greyed out. Has there been any developement on this? Or am i stuck in their RMA cycle until they wise up and send a new one... Ive reached out to them and requested a new device based on the info provided here and reddit etc.. its been escalated to management but i highly doubt its going to be resolved to my satisfaction..