• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OEM Unlocking grayed out

Search This thread

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Purchased from Google unlocked.

Running .30 version.

When I initially received the device I pulled the SIM from my OG pixel 1 and inserted and booted the 3. Set it up (running on AT&T) and used it. This morning I decided to root for theming only to notice it was grayed out. First thought was to factory reset and reboot with no SIM inserted. Did that. Still gray.

Am I missing something new?

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Purchased from Google unlocked.

Running .30 version.

When I initially received the device I pulled the SIM from my OG pixel 1 and inserted and booted the 3. Set it up (running on AT&T) and used it. This morning I decided to root for theming only to notice it was grayed out. First thought was to factory reset and reboot with no SIM inserted. Did that. Still gray.

Am I missing something new?

Are you sure you received the google version phone and not the Verizon one? Did you notice if it was grayed out before you inserted your sim?

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Are you sure you received the google version phone and not the Verizon one? Did you notice if it was grayed out before you inserted your sim?

Wouldn't the fact that it takes my AT&T SIM mean it is the unlocked variant?

To answer though... I did not notice.

UPDATE: Called Google. The tier 1 guy said, "Per our engineering documentation this option is designated as disabled on the pixel 3 line."

I have requested an RMA even though I hope he was wrong and that someone can enlighten me before I send it back.

Last edited:

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Sim unlocked yes. But not bootloader unlockable. I'm guessing you have the Verizon variant.

When my RMA is completed how will I specify that I don't want the Verizon variant?

As I'm sure you already know the store offers only three options and I verified that I chose the 'unlocked' option. Anything I can do to get what I need should I decide to reorder?

Also the store says the verizon variant comes with a SIM card which was not included in my packaging.

I'm really steamed at the moment... I do thank you for replying.

Last edited:

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
When my RMA is completed how will I specify that I don't want the Verizon variant?

As I'm sure you already know the store offers only three options and I verified that I chose the 'unlocked' option. Anything I can do to get what I need should I decide to reorder?

Also the store says the verizon variant comes with a SIM card which was not included in my packaging.

I'm really steamed at the moment... I do thank you for replying.

Again my friend, I'm just guessing. It could also be possible that from what I've read, the P3's were initially sim locked to Verizon only, even if you ordered the google version. It could be possible that when you installed your at&t sim, it locked the bootloader. Again, I'm just guessing.

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Again my friend, I'm just guessing. It could also be possible that from what I've read, the P3's were initially sim locked to Verizon only, even if you ordered the google version. It could be possible that when you installed your at&t sim, it locked the bootloader. Again, I'm just guessing.

Sure... I get that. I have been approved for an advanced RMA. Wasn't trying to seem harsh. The rep that gave me the advanced RMA did say that it SHOULD allow toggle. I'll be sure to attempt bootloader adjustments before inserting a SIM this round.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I don't think the Google version was sim locked to Verizon. That doesn't make sense at all. The device needs to connect to the internet in order for the switch to become active from what I understand. So if you don't put a sim in then you will need to connect to wifi. Something is amiss or we're not getting the full picture. Why would a Google bought Pixel anything not allow bootloader unlock? Even if you put in a Verizon sim it should still be active.

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
I don't think the Google version was sim locked to Verizon. That doesn't make sense at all. The device needs to connect to the internet in order for the switch to become active from what I understand. So if you don't put a sim in then you will need to connect to wifi. Something is amiss or we're not getting the full picture. Why would a Google bought Pixel anything not allow bootloader unlock? Even if you put in a Verizon sim it should still be active.

My thoughts exactly. The grayed out switch does say 'connect to the internet or contact your carrier' below the toggle. All while there's an LTE signal indicator on the status bar. I'm perplexed, truly. This isn't my first Android rodeo and I've never encountered this before.

karthakon

Aug 27, 2010
Boston
www.undeadcavity.com
I bought mine through Project Fi. I tried to unlock the boot loader first thing but the OEM unlock was greyed out. I had to activate the phone on the Project Fi Network before OEM unlock became available (I used the eSim). I wonder if they've linked the OEM unlocking switch to the network activation somehow. Has anyone bought a Network unlocked Pixel 3 from the Google Store, stuck a Verizon simcard in it, and then tried to unlock the bootloader?

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
I bought mine through Project Fi. I tried to unlock the boot loader first thing but the OEM unlock was greyed out. I had to activate the phone on the Project Fi Network before OEM unlock became available (I used the eSim). I wonder if they've linked the OEM unlocking switch to the network activation somehow. Has anyone bought a Network unlocked Pixel 3 from the Google Store, stuck a Verizon simcard in it, and then tried to unlock the bootloader?

Thought of this, but don' have access to a Verizon sim card.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
I unlocked mine with a Verizon Sim in it. No problems at all. I also did the same with 3 different pixel 2's when the pixel 2 was first released. Again, not one problem with any of them. I see a lot of talk about the unlock possibly being tied to the SIM. It isn't. I know first hand.

TommyB322

Sep 18, 2013
I bought my 3xl carrier unlocked from Google. I inserted a vzw sim and activated my phone. After all that I tried to oem unlock and it is greyed out. My phone is running build PD1A.180720.31 and as far as I know it is the vzw build. Tried factory reset several times and still greyed out. Also tried sideloading .30 but it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

infamous84

Sep 28, 2010
Wish I Knew
i bought the unlocked pixel 3 from google on launch, i was able to unlock the bootloader and flash images with no issue. I didnt have my verizon sim in it tho

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
.31 is the verizon variant.

.30 should be the unlocked variant.

I'm on the phone now... For a third time trying to get an RMA issued. Google support is horrific.

Issued me 2 RMA requests that had a link that was already used.

TommyB322

Sep 18, 2013
I was on the phone with them this afternoon and they are sending me a new phone. Hopefully it will be the .30

TommyB322

Sep 18, 2013
That's the scary thing for me. Mine is .30 and I was able to factory reset today and try a TMO SIM with the same result.

I processed my advance RMA today as well so we'll see.
Interesting. On a side note 2 vzw apps showed up randomly in my app drawer. I was able to uninstall them but they weren't there before. One was messenger and the other I think was My Verizon.

Last edited:

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Interesting. On a side note 2 vzw apps showed up randomly in my app drawer. I was able to uninstall them but they weren't there before. One was messenger and the other I think was My Verizon.

Those got installed when you inserted the VZ SIM.

For those of you getting RMAs best of luck. Their RMA department is a mess, they are not shipping anything. Some of us have RMAs open since day one. There is thread here on it, and a pretty big one on Reddit.

Reactions: gvsukids

ravichopra

Apr 9, 2010
.31 is the verizon variant.

.30 should be the unlocked variant.

I'm on the phone now... For a third time trying to get an RMA issued. Google support is horrific.

Issued me 2 RMA requests that had a link that was already used.

I don't think this is right. I bought the unlocked variant from Verizon & unlocked the bootloader no problem.
Build number .031

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got an RMA on mine too for this issue. New one will be here in a couple of days. I'll keep you all posted.

So once the new one arrives, what is the best way to initially boot it up to minimize risk of greyed out OEM Unlock? Boot with no sim, don't sign into Google then go straight to Developer options?

Thanks

How you boot it does not matter. It's only a matter of if your IMEI is in the database to unlock or not.

Those got installed when you inserted the VZ SIM.

For those of you getting RMAs best of luck. Their RMA department is a mess, they are not shipping anything. Some of us have RMAs open since day one. There is thread here on it, and a pretty big one on Reddit.
    I'm coming from a decade of rooted Verizon HTC's so I'm a PIxel noob but here's my story... I got the P3 unlocked from Google, powered on, skipped all of setup, enabled dev options, and OEM unlock was greyed out. I enabled wifi, connected to Internet, waited 2 minutes, still greyed out. I rebooted the phone, went back to dev options and OEM unlock was available. Then I unlocked and rooted following the guides and using the posted patched boot image in the XL thread. I did some root testing, then powered off, installed my Verizon SIM, powered on, connected to VZW. About 10 minutes later I got a notice that a system update couldn't be installed, retried and failed again, so I guess there's some OTA pending but otherwise everything is perfect. Thanks to all who contributed and helped!

You can download the full image for Verizon from Google. Edit the flash-all bat file and remove the -w from the end. Be sure to save that change. That will let you flash the while phone but save data and setup. Boot into fastboot mode and run the flash all file.

That will get you up to date but save your data. You will have to reroot by patching the VZ boot.img and flashing it. The boot.img flashing is about to get easier, TWRP is working just not released yet.

That is how I update each month. I would wait until next week when the Oct. update comes out.
    Remembering how I jumped onto the Google's reference phone wagon... When I saw the Nexus 4 was so cheap I sold my Note 2 at heavy discount and didn't expect much out of the phone. Turns out it was an underdog and all positive surprises. Now? Still full of surprises, just the bad ones. Golden old days of Nexus 4 and even Nexus 5 are gone :(
    The build number is the software. 30 was the firtst Google version, 31 was Verizon and A1 is November for both.