• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OEM Unlocking grayed out

Search This thread

NICEGYPT

Dec 31, 2007
Grovetown
If you got it from Verizon it's locked you can not unlock the bootloader... If you got it from Google maybe it's a mistake you need to call them...

MArtyChubbs

If your phone is unlocked, please leave it greyed out and spend the time with your kids or call your mother. Time better spent... Unless your OCD, it will bug crap out of you, [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]. Phone is unlocked, you won't unlock it more, no?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8hammer84

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I think he is referring to OEM unlock, that slider not being accessible is most def a serious problem.

MArtyChubbs

I think he is referring to OEM unlock, that slider not being accessible is most def a serious problem.
Why? His phone is unlocked. Am I missing something?

Unless, he is referring to a non-vzw as unlocked (to a carrier?) and he can't unlock the bootloader cuz it's greyed out..? If so my bad and the answer posted already worked for me too.

Last edited:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Which unlock slider do you imagine he would be referring to when there is only the one? Lol Ya screwed up man. And no, I'm not busting your balls. It happens, done it myself.

Reactions: DeeZZ_NuuZZ

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
I had this issue at first. I had to do a factory reset after putting in my sim card. See if either or both of those work.

Sent from my crosshatch using XDA Labs

Done several resets and set up with and without SIM. Still Grayed out.

Why? His phone is unlocked. Am I missing something?

Unless, he is referring to a non-vzw as unlocked (to a carrier?) and he can't unlock the bootloader cuz it's greyed out..? If so my bad and the answer posted already worked for me too.

Correct... Sorry, I should have clarified. It is Play Store purchased, non-VZW, non-project FI device running on AT&T.

This isn't my first rodeo so I knew what should have happened (I have 6p, Pixel 1 and have been running customs long before that) when I fired it up. It just didn't behave as expected so I was polling to see if others had a similar experience.

Sorry for the confusion... I shoulda been more explanatory in the OP.

Several non-xl users have said they experienced the issue (posted there as well) so I'm thinking it isn't device specific but rather an OS issue. Found Google support threads that reference the exact same described issue that was resolved by an OS hotfix. We'll see. RMA arrives tomorrow.

MArtyChubbs

Done several resets and set up with and without SIM. Still Grayed out.

Correct... Sorry, I should have clarified. It is Play Store purchased, non-VZW, non-project FI device running on AT&T.

This isn't my first rodeo so I knew what should have happened (I have 6p, Pixel 1 and have been running customs long before that) when I fired it up. It just didn't behave as expected so I was polling to see if others had a similar experience.

Sorry for the confusion... I shoulda been more explanatory in the OP.

Several non-xl users have said they experienced the issue (posted there as well) so I'm thinking it isn't device specific but rather an OS issue. Found Google support threads that reference the exact same described issue that was resolved by an OS hotfix. We'll see. RMA arrives tomorrow.

Same here with a Verizon sim. I had the greyed out OEM and reflashed stock image or reset like you (can't remember cuz my brain is old) and then I was able to toggle it. Well, cool beans on the RMA!

If someone else has the problem, post here and maybe a fix can be documented.

XtazyMike

Jul 23, 2011
Here
Same here with a Verizon sim. I had the greyed out OEM and reflashed stock image or reset like you (can't remember cuz my brain is old) and then I was able to toggle it. Well, cool beans on the RMA!

If someone else has the problem, post here and maybe a fix can be documented.

Wait... You have a VZW pixel 3( or xl) and you managed to bypass the OEM unlock? how?

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
No, from Google but I put my VZW sim I got with my Pixel XL in my P3XL. Sorry, like the OP, we had a weird problem unlocking BL with it being greyed out.

Just to be clear, you didn't 'flash' anything originally, correct? Just a factory reset? Since the bootloader is locked, if you flashed something please share. I saw the or in your post. Just making sure that I read that correctly.

MArtyChubbs

I think I wanna say I DID flash leaving the -w in the bat file.

Locked bootloader means you can't flash non stock images, no? You can srill upgrade the bootloader even if it's still locked, right? What I mean is, I can still use the fastboot images on a locked phone or can't I?

I erased the data partition at least and then the OEM unlock was not greyed out. But I am in the habit of fastbooting (that's what I ment by flash) with or without -w so I am pretty sure that is what I did. Maybe not, I dunno...

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
You can flash a factory image with a locked bootloader as long as it retains the signature, which would be broken the second it gets modified.

Are you sure about that? I don't believe you can flash anything other than sideload an OTA with a locked bl. But I could be mistaken, just like to confirm.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

ridobe

Are you sure about that? I don't believe you can flash anything other than sideload an OTA with a locked bl. But I could be mistaken, just like to confirm.
This is correct. This is why you can't lock the bootloader while having non-stock firmware. You can't boot because it's "corrupt", you can't flash because you are BL locked and you can't boot to toggle "OEM unlocking".

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
This is correct. This is why you can't lock the bootloader while having non-stock firmware. You can't boot because it's "corrupt", you can't flash because you are BL locked and you can't boot to toggle "OEM unlocking".

By firmware do you mean a ROM? Because if the rom is signed even if it's not Google's signature then you can lock the bootloader. All it looks for is that signature so it can perform checks to make sure that signature stays the same.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Miscellaneous solutions for greyed out OEM Unlock option

A bunch of users has reported that the missing ability to enable OEM Unlock on their Android devices was restored after clearing out the device cache and even performing a factory reset.

Wipe cache partition

Turn off the Android device, and then press and hold the*Volume*Up*and*Power*button simultaneously.

Release the*Power*button when the logo appears, but continue to hold the*Volume Upbutton.

On the Android recovery screen, use the Volume Down button to navigate down to*wipe cache partition*and press the*Power*button to select it.

Use the*Volume Down*button to select*Yes — delete all user data, and then press the Power button to confirm.

Wait for the reset to finish and press the*Power*button when prompted with the message to*Reboot system now.

Perform a factory reset

Turn off the device, and then press and hold the*Volume Up*and*Power*button simultaneously.

Release the*Power*button when the Samsung logo appears, but continue to hold the*Volume Up

On the Android recovery screen, use the Volume Down button to navigate down to*wipe data/factory reset*and press the*Power*button to select it.

Use the*Volume Down*button to select*Yes — delete all user data, and then press the Power button to confirm.

Wait for the reset to finish and press the*Power*button when prompted with the message to*Reboot system now.

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-fix-oem-unlock-greyed-out-or-oem-unlock-disabled-problem/

You lost me at Samsung logo
    I've also submit it as a news tip for XDA and Androidcentral.

I've been considering buying a whole new device on Black Friday or the Thanksgiving sale and just trying to rally for a return on this locked POS rather than playing RMA hell.

QvvZf4q.png

^ I know some of you guys bought off the store as wholly unlocked but mines definitely Fi so I am starting to wonder if RMA Roulette is even worth it
    Anyone affected by this issue please star and contribute to this issuetracker I have created for the issue
    https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/119628469
    I have this issue on the unlocked version running .30. Anyone else running the XL experienced this?
    I had this experience. I received my unlocked XL yesterday from Google. Upon initial boot, I skipped all setups, went straight to developer options, and OEM unlocking option was grayed out.

Then I did a factory reset. This time I setup the Wi-Fi and skipped all other setups. I let the phone automatically do some updates because I was connected to Wi-Fi. After that, OEM unlocking option was available.

I am now BL unlocked and rooted. All this was done without SIM.

You are not mistaken. Just tried.