oem unlocking greyed out

Search This thread

schneidz

Dec 19, 2011
hi, i bought a oneplus 8 5g from sprint today and i am trying to root it before i load my stuff to it (the bootloader menu mentions its product name is kona).

when i go to developer options, i am able to turn on usb debugging but oem unlocking is greyed out.

Code:
[root@hyper ~]# adb reboot bootloader
shows
...secure boot - yes
device state - locked
on the fone.
Code:
[root@hyper ~]# fastboot flashing unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed
')
Finished. Total time: 0.001s
[root@hyper ~]# fastboot oem unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed
')
Finished. Total time: 0.001s

crazynapkinman

Jun 16, 2014
OnePlus 8
Mine is also from sprint and greyed out.

TF?

Wonder how we enable that feature.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

So I just tried to enter recovery mode and it asked me for a password??

I entered MY 4-digit unlock code and it failed.

I pressed "Forgot Password" and it said "You will lose all music, photos, etc..."

I couldn't simply exit the screen. I had to hold PWR+VolUp to reset.

Is that because OEM unlock is greyed out?

Edit: It is Recovery Mode that is password protected. Why?

Edit 2: It had to do with having a secure pin. Turn off secure unlock and you can get into recovery. OEM Unlock was still greyed out.

Last edited:
Reactions: schneidz
I believe oem unlocking is greyed out because you are still simlocked. If you just got the phone today there is no way you are unlocked either the XDA way or meet TMobile criteria for official unlock.

I saw another thread where the password was oneplus on something in the bootloader. Not sure if this was the place but can't hurt to try.

Sorry if either of these things is incorrect.

schneidz

Dec 19, 2011
thanks to yoo both. i bought the fone outrite (no lease plan) so its mine.
my previous fone was an essential so I never knew the carrier got in the way of unlocking the boot loader... but i
remember having to wait til after payoff to get the fone carrier unlocked ( which is different). i gotta' admit, i have no idea what all these password and codes being mentioned are (wow, a lot has changed in three years).

i came across this site in my searches but i dont have an unlock code ? not sure the purpose of this site since fastboot mode doesnt have internet access ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200814-070944.jpg
    Screenshot_20200814-070944.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 894

Droidman61

Apr 18, 2013
Nor Cal
my previous fone was an essential so I never knew the carrier got in the way of unlocking the boot loader... but i
remember having to wait til after payoff to get the fone carrier unlocked ( which is different). i gotta' admit, i have no idea what all these password and codes being mentioned are (wow, a lot has changed in three years).

i came across this site in my searches but i dont have an unlock code ? not sure the purpose of this site since fastboot mode doesnt have internet access ?
You need to call Sprint or--
From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
Tap Settings > Wi-Fi & Internet > SIM & Network > Advanced.
Wait while the device connects to the server.
Choose the desired device unlock type:
Permanent Unlock
Temporary Unlock - requires a mobile data connection
Wait while the device requests the unlock.
If successful, restart the device to apply the settings.
Permanent Success
Temporary Success
If you do not restart the device, a persistent alert will appear in the notification tray. Then go to Oneplus/unlock token. You have to wait usually 7 days for them to send an "Unlock bin.file. Then look around on our sites on how to unlock your phone. Hope this helps.:highfive:

schneidz

Dec 19, 2011
^thanks, it says that it is not eligible for carrier unlock which is strange becuz i bought the fone (not on a payment lease). stranger that i dont know what the carrier unlock has to do with the bootloader (to me, it sounds like the volume knob on a car stereo causing the engine to overheat) ?
edit:
i called customer service. they told me i have to wait 50 days. they transferred me to tech support so i am waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Romanov
Oct 28, 2022
Google Pixel 6
I'm with sprint as well. My device is paid off and I've had it for over 60 days. I've been getting jerked around by these (can't say the real word or I'll get another warning) very intelligent and helpful experts. They start helpful as all hell then soon as I mention the unlock they get real sketchy and I end up transfered or mysteriously disconnected. I got disconnected from a man named Kenneth earlier today, it reconnected to a Jose who said hello my name is Ralph.

I finally asked a woman named Alysha why this was so damned difficult. The device is mine. I meet all criteria, and it's the damned law they can't deny me. She said I must cancel the phone line to make it "free" to unlock.

Bout ready to spaz out. Can anyone please help or anything?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine is also from sprint and greyed out.

TF?

Wonder how we enable that feature.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

So I just tried to enter recovery mode and it asked me for a password??

I entered MY 4-digit unlock code and it failed.

I pressed "Forgot Password" and it said "You will lose all music, photos, etc..."

I couldn't simply exit the screen. I had to hold PWR+VolUp to reset.

Is that because OEM unlock is greyed out?

Edit: It is Recovery Mode that is password protected. Why?

Edit 2: It had to do with having a secure pin. Turn off secure unlock and you can get into recovery. OEM Unlock was still greyed out.
    I believe oem unlocking is greyed out because you are still simlocked. If you just got the phone today there is no way you are unlocked either the XDA way or meet TMobile criteria for official unlock.

I saw another thread where the password was oneplus on something in the bootloader. Not sure if this was the place but can't hurt to try.

Sorry if either of these things is incorrect.

You need to call Sprint or--
    From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
    Tap Settings > Wi-Fi & Internet > SIM & Network > Advanced.
    Wait while the device connects to the server.
    Choose the desired device unlock type:
    Permanent Unlock
    Temporary Unlock - requires a mobile data connection
    Wait while the device requests the unlock.
    If successful, restart the device to apply the settings.
    Permanent Success
    Temporary Success
    If you do not restart the device, a persistent alert will appear in the notification tray. Then go to Oneplus/unlock token. You have to wait usually 7 days for them to send an "Unlock bin.file. Then look around on our sites on how to unlock your phone. Hope this helps.:highfive:
    ^thanks, it says that it is not eligible for carrier unlock which is strange becuz i bought the fone (not on a payment lease). stranger that i dont know what the carrier unlock has to do with the bootloader (to me, it sounds like the volume knob on a car stereo causing the engine to overheat) ?
    edit:
    i called customer service. they told me i have to wait 50 days. they transferred me to tech support so i am waiting.