Question OEM unlocking on a Pixel 7 pro? Verizon

Search This thread

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Apparently even AFTER Carrier Unlocking Pixel 7 Pro, Bootloader is NOT Unlockable, under any circumstance. VZW is pointing at Google and Google is pointing at VZW. I am waiting for a reply or call back from a Google Supervisor, because it should be clearly noted on the VZW Box that even after Carrier Unlocking device, BL CANNOT be Unlocked under any circumstance. I smell a class action lawsuit against Google and/or VZW for Pixel Customers who are unable to OEM Unlock Devices after Carrier Unlocking. Anyone want in? I am hoping I get the right Google Supervisor who will warranty exchange device for another Unlocked or any other Branded Pixel 7 Pro....
*Sorry for re-iterating what a couple of posts before mine have; it had been responded with the same reaction and information while I was drafting this*
That would be a LOOOONG steep-uphill skate battle, and pretty much impossible on the class action lawsuit part -- Verizon has been locking the bootloaders on their variants since the first Pixel; if it were to happen, it would've already (after 7 years). Usually any kind of research prior to purchasing the VZW devices make this apparent...

If it is still within the return period, it would be best -- and by far, easiest -- to return your VZW variant Pixel and purchase from online Google Store, a non-variant version at other stores like Best Buy or Amazon, or 3rd party sites like Swappa...

Sorry you had the wrong assumption -- many of us (including me on the Pixel 2) has...

Apparently even AFTER Carrier Unlocking Pixel 7 Pro, Bootloader is NOT Unlockable, under any circumstance. VZW is pointing at Google and Google is pointing at VZW. I am waiting for a reply or call back from a Google Supervisor, because it should be clearly noted on the VZW Box that even after Carrier Unlocking device, BL CANNOT be Unlocked under any circumstance. I smell a class action lawsuit against Google and/or VZW for Pixel Customers who are unable to OEM Unlock Devices after Carrier Unlocking. Anyone want in? I am hoping I get the right Google Supervisor who will warranty exchange device for another Unlocked or any other Branded Pixel 7 Pro....
Is this your first smartphone?

Reactions: TonikJDK

AndroidAddict420

Account currently disabled
. this your first smartphone?
No, i sold wireless devices for 10-12 years and been in Android Development since July 2010, but this is the 1st Google Pixel i was not able to Unlock Bootloader. This has nothing to do with smartphones, this has to do with NOT letting customers know FACTs or at least have it on the Box.... Did you want to add your name to the list or no?

AndroidAddict420

*Sorry for re-iterating what a couple of posts before mine have; it had been responded with the same reaction and information while I was drafting this*
That would be a LOOOONG steep-uphill skate battle, and pretty much impossible on the class action lawsuit part -- Verizon has been locking the bootloaders on their variants since the first Pixel; if it were to happen, it would've already (after 7 years). Usually any kind of research prior to purchasing the VZW devices make this apparent...

If it is still within the return period, it would be best -- and by far, easiest -- to return your VZW variant Pixel and purchase from online Google Store, a non-variant version at other stores like Best Buy or Amazon, or 3rd party sites like Swappa...

Sorry you had the wrong assumption -- many of us (including me on the Pixel 2) has...
Yea, but the OG Pixel XL could be Unlocked as long as it was booted without SIM on the 1st Boot.... as long as it didnt register to the Network....

No, i sold wireless devices for 10-12 years and been in Android Development since July 2010, but this is the 1st Google Pixel i was not able to Unlock Bootloader. This has nothing to do with smartphones, this has to do with NOT letting customers know FACTs or at least have it on the Box.... Did you want to add your name to the list or no?
Then I’ve failed to understand how you’re surprised that Verizon locks bootloaders when they do it on every single device. Every single device that you buy through Verizon, cannot be rooted and this is not some breaking new information.

And no, I’m not adding my name to the list because it’s frivolous and silly and will get you nowhere. Verizon and other carriers make it quite clear their policy on unlocking boot loaders. Sorry if they don’t put up billboards, announcing the policy, but that’s because a very minute percentage of phone users have any interest in rooting their phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lughnasadh

AndroidAddict420

Then I’ve failed to understand how you’re surprised that Verizon locks to put loaders when they do it on every single device. Every single device that you buy through Verizon, cannot be rooted and this is not some breaking new information.

And no, I’m not adding my name to the list because it’s frivolous and silly and will get you nowhere. Verizon and other carriers make it quite clear their policy on unlocking boot loaders. Sorry if they don’t put up billboards, announcing the policy, but that’s because hey Siri, my new percentage of phone users have any interest in rooting their phones
I never had a problem Unlocking BLs on Verizon as long as it was Carrier Unlocked, but the fact is, the RSRs and Customer Care do not provide the right information and most do not know what a BL even is and think you are talking about carrier Unlocking and just say YES after 60 days.

Yea, T-Mobile You Can, You just have to carrier unlock device 1st. I had both mine Whitelisted on the 1st day i received them. Just have to know what to say and if they refuse, call back and speak to someone else....
And you have to pay off the device before you can carrier unlock it. Or lie to them about traveling overseas.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yea, but the OG Pixel XL could be Unlocked as long as it was booted without SIM on the 1st Boot.... as long as it didnt register to the Network....
the fact that you had to go do the workaround of not registering it to the network ("without SIM") goes to show that it always was Verizon's intention to lock down the bootloader on their devices. And, IIRC, this was considered an "exploit" that had been patched in the end (though there is a chance I am thinking of the Pixel 2's exploit)...
I never had a problem Unlocking BLs on Verizon as long as it was Carrier Unlocked, but the fact is, the RSRs and Customer Care do not provide the right information and most do not know what a BL even is and think you are talking about carrier Unlocking and just say YES after 60 days.
I'm curious....do you mind listing the Verizon variant devices you were able to do this with?

Reactions: jal3223

basaku

Jan 29, 2012

Any luck on that cool google supervisor? I have the same irritating issue... As does everyone else who was gifted a nice phone for Christmas to find a Verizon label on a phone they actually wanted but immediately felt sick cause we all know we are screwed and the person who bought it tried and the thought was there but..... UHG..... smile and wave boys......

seriously though.. any luck with that ? i know it is a far reach to even think something good can come out of a Verizon phone but i just had to ask.

Thanks for any help in this matter before i put it back in the drawer or better yet, hit it with a hammer...lol

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Any luck on that cool google supervisor? I have the same irritating issue... As does everyone else who was gifted a nice phone for Christmas to find a Verizon label on a phone they actually wanted but immediately felt sick cause we all know we are screwed and the person who bought it tried and the thought was there but..... UHG..... smile and wave boys......

seriously though.. any luck with that ? i know it is a far reach to even think something good can come out of a Verizon phone but i just had to ask.

Thanks for any help in this matter before i put it back in the drawer or better yet, hit it with a hammer...lol
You might want to consider (especially if you haven't unsealed it yet) selling it on Swappa. You might not get a full retail value for it -- especially considering it's a Verizon variant -- but you should be able to sell it for a good amount that should go a fairly long way into purchasing a unlocked/non-carrier variant or into some other device...

OP ended up creating a (now closed) thread calling to action the vzw members here in attempt to organize a class action lawsuit. It ended up mostly being dismissed as it wasn't really feasible in coming to any real fruition.

But he later created a new thread speaking on the latest development on the matter, in the thread I linked below. I have my doubts that it will work with everyone/anyone-else; especially considering how much OP had to go through in terms of reps and supervisors and whoever else on both sides of Google and VZW to make it happen...
But here is the latest update...

Reactions: kkjb and HipKat

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Why does this come up again and again for every single phone? Why? Just get the freaking unlocked version instead of looking for stupid one-off hacks.

I try NOT to be the guy saying "don't ask about XYZ..." because this is a forum for tech discussion, but why this? There is a simple solution and answer to this problem. That answer is : just buy the unlocked version and bring it to Verizon versus buying the Verizon branded version from Verizon. I don't get it.

Reactions: HipKat and kkjb

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
Why does this come up again and again for every single phone? Why? Just get the freaking unlocked version instead of looking for stupid one-off hacks.

I try NOT to be the guy saying "don't ask about XYZ..." because this is a forum for tech discussion, but why this? There is a simple solution and answer to this problem. That answer is : just buy the unlocked version and bring it to Verizon versus buying the Verizon branded version from Verizon. I don't get it.
Its easy to see the mistakes of other people. I bet you did similar mistakes on other topics too.
There is no reason for people to google "unlock bootloader on verizon devices" before you buy a verizon device. If you know, you know, you know?

Monthly payments vs shelling out a grand that many people can't afford to do

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member

In terms of OP and AndroidAddict420, I might agree...
But to basaku, who the response was to, he got it as a gift....it's not exactly the same...
Monthly payments vs shelling out a grand that many people can't afford to do
There's always Google Financing (through Synchrony) that also does the monthly payments, but, as you said, not everyone has the option/credit-score.
But it would be preferable to get it through carriers; on top of monthly payments, it bundles into your cell phone monthly payments, and the trade-in is better than Google Store or other stores (Verizon was offering up to $900 vs. Google Store's $400) as well as other credits one might get from the carrier...

In terms of OP and AndroidAddict420, I might agree...
But to basaku, who the response was to, he got it as a gift....it's not exactly the same...

There's always Google Financing (through Synchrony) that also does the monthly payments, but, as you said, not everyone has the option/credit-score.
But it would be preferable to get it through carriers; on top of monthly payments, it bundles into your cell phone monthly payments, and the trade-in is better than Google Store or other stores (Verizon was offering up to $900 vs. Google Store's $400) as well as other credits one might get from the carrier...
The good thing about the financing is that I still have over $800 credit with the Google Store and the P7P will be paid off next week so when the (P8P) comes out, it'll be a no brainer

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The good thing about the financing is that I still have over $800 credit with the Google Store and the P7P will be paid off next week so when the (P8P) comes out, it'll be a no brainer
That's nice to hear...! It must be nice to have rather good (enough) credit (score)...

I've tried to set up Google Store financing for multiple people, where one was only able to get $800 (which was not enough for a P7P) and one was able to get $2500...so it goes to show that, if you can achieve it, it is a worthwhile option (at the very least almost as financing it through a carrier), but if one doesn't have that good enough of a credit score, it's not an option....

That's nice to hear...! It must be nice to have rather good (enough) credit (score)...

I've tried to set up Google Store financing for multiple people, where one was only able to get $800 (which was not enough for a P7P) and one was able to get $2500...so it goes to show that, if you can achieve it, it is a worthwhile option (at the very least almost as financing it through a carrier), but if one doesn't have that good enough of a credit score, it's not an option....
I’ve been there, so I feel for people that are cornered into making monthly payments to their carrier.

Reactions: simplepinoi177
Mar 31, 2022
can someone answer yes or no i bought from gazzell all i know it not carrier locked
and oem box is grayed out

am i out luck?
When i got staus it said locked

Top Liked Posts