Off Topic Thread

Search This thread

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Lots of names I recognize here. Good to see you. I still have the rocket but have moved on to nexus devices. When Sammy locked the bootloader it took all the fun out of them.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA-Developers mobile app

mindmajick

Lots of names I recognize here. Good to see you. I still have the rocket but have moved on to nexus devices. When Sammy locked the bootloader it took all the fun out of them.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Agreed. I've been running the HTC m8 for quite a while now. It's fun because I can go back and forth from gpe to HTC. Currently running a ported m10 Chinese rom on that one.

My nexus 7 2013 (that I'm typing on) has just been upgraded to android n.. Unofficially, of course.

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk

Reactions: jd1639

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Agreed. I've been running the HTC m8 for quite a while now. It's fun because I can go back and forth from gpe to HTC. Currently running a ported m10 Chinese rom on that one.

My nexus 7 2013 (that I'm typing on) has just been upgraded to android n.. Unofficially, of course.

The M8 is one hell of a device, and I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade to the new Nexus 6 or not. I S-off'ed 3 days after I got it and haven't looked back, as I can almost treat it like a Nexus device.

My 2013 N7 tablet, on the other hand, is now a dedicated bed-side alarm clock noise maker now that the touch screen is acting up more often. I might give that unofficial Nougat ROM a try, though.

Reactions: mindmajick

mindmajick

The M8 is one hell of a device, and I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade to the new Nexus 6 or not. I S-off'ed 3 days after I got it and haven't looked back, as I can almost treat it like a Nexus device.

My 2013 N7 tablet, on the other hand, is now a dedicated bed-side alarm clock noise maker now that the touch screen is acting up more often. I might give that unofficial Nougat ROM a try, though.
Yup. It's on version .4 and is already a daily driver. Minor issues that can all be fixed by reading the OP.

I still have no need for a newer phone.. the m8 is infinitely hackable STILL. It's the only phone since the rocket I can say that about.

vincom

May 5, 2011
bolton, on
just bought a used s5 sm-g900w8, canadian model, eh!
couldnt pass it up.
note about the canadian s5, theres no locked bootloader, just has knox if flashing custom stuff which would void warranty if tripped lol.
seems easy enough to root which is all im interested in, for now.
but still rocking my skyrocket.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
just bought a used s5 sm-g900w8, canadian model, eh!
couldnt pass it up.
note about the canadian s5, theres no locked bootloader, just has knox if flashing custom stuff which would void warranty if tripped lol.
seems easy enough to root which is all im interested in, for now.
but still rocking my skyrocket.

Cool find! The good news is, the S5 is likely old enough now to not HAVE a warranty, so trip Knox all you want :D

I'm holding out that AT&T will actually carry the HTC One M11, especially now that Samsung is having so many problems with the Note 7 that airlines are beginning to take a "No Samsung devices onboard" approach. If jcase gets S-off on it, which he has a solid track record of, it looks like it might be my next phone.

vincom

May 5, 2011
bolton, on
Cool find! The good news is, the S5 is likely old enough now to not HAVE a warranty, so trip Knox all you want :D

I'm holding out that AT&T will actually carry the HTC One M11, especially now that Samsung is having so many problems with the Note 7 that airlines are beginning to take a "No Samsung devices onboard" approach. If jcase gets S-off on it, which he has a solid track record of, it looks like it might be my next phone.
yup, i dont care about knox just the bootloader, it seems att's s5 has the locked bootloader, lucky us canucks. still nothing as easy as the skyrocket was.
but i had to pay to get it unlocked as there was no hack to do it for free, a whole $11 for a paid code, lol, that was for bell/virgin phone, rogers its a few bucks cheaper

TheIronMaiden

Jul 30, 2013
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
yup, i dont care about knox just the bootloader, it seems att's s5 has the locked bootloader, lucky us canucks. still nothing as easy as the skyrocket was.
but i had to pay to get it unlocked as there was no hack to do it for free, a whole $11 for a paid code, lol, that was for bell/virgin phone, rogers its a few bucks cheaper
It's been awhile since I've been here, but when I was you were still a senior member. Congrats on making recognized contributor. About time. Apologize for the all **** I (armyveterangunner29) gave you lol

Reactions: vincom

mindmajick

It's been awhile since I've been here, but when I was you were still a senior member. Congrats on making recognized contributor. About time. Apologize for the all **** I (armyveterangunner29) gave you lol
I think you're both good dudes. Vincom certainly took it like a champ and we all dished it out a lot more in those days.

I think he might have even had as much fun as we did ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
On an unrelated note, I'm not sure what to do with my old Skyrockets. Because they were kept in cases, they are practically spotless (my wife's has a small seam in the fake chrome around her white S2 and some minor burn-in on the screen, but my black S2 is close to cosmetically flawless). They have been network unlocked and were running the CandySix MM ROM before I powered them down and pulled the batteries.

At this point, I have no immediate use for them, but I hate to toss perfectly good hardware. I already have an old N7 as my alarm clock/music player and now an old M8 as a "universal remote control". I would offer them up to any remaining Skyrocket devs, but it's not clear there are any.

Ideas on what to do with these old phones?

vincom

May 5, 2011
bolton, on
Yes he did. That fact that he still has Javier Bardem as a profile pic proves it. No ROMs for Vin-com

:D its all good, fun while it lasted......really! :laugh:

Image21.jpg

Last edited:

epapsiou

Jun 27, 2012
On an unrelated note, I'm not sure what to do with my old Skyrockets. Because they were kept in cases, they are practically spotless (my wife's has a small seam in the fake chrome around her white S2 and some minor burn-in on the screen, but my black S2 is close to cosmetically flawless). They have been network unlocked and were running the CandySix MM ROM before I powered them down and pulled the batteries.

At this point, I have no immediate use for them, but I hate to toss perfectly good hardware. I already have an old N7 as my alarm clock/music player and now an old M8 as a "universal remote control". I would offer them up to any remaining Skyrocket devs, but it's not clear there are any.

Ideas on what to do with these old phones?
Use as a remote for your Roku/Fire/Chromecast device

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge. It's neither great nor terrible. It's also bootloader locked, so once Samsung forgets about it...

epapsiou

Jun 27, 2012
that is why I stay away from samsung. A shame really cause the skyrocket was really good. They make good hardware

mindmajick

Active? Nope. Not much to do here anymore. I check out the forums on my devices and usually not much info here Worth anything. Don't like telegram and all that.

Running a budget Motorola g phone that is easily unlocked and rooted.. yet no development that I can find.. probably locked up in chat rooms somewhere

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit2:

Good Morning Guys.
    I am here to warn you all. This is an off topic thread. As such we will keep it off topic. But we need to remind you that discussions political, racial, and religious can be taken very personally and can lead to members attacking members. We need to keep this civil and keep the discussions out of those topics. :cool:

Reminder
    Forum Rules:
    Rule 2.4: Personal attacks, racial, political and/or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive, therefore none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

Peace and have a good day!
    Josh
    Happy 1st birthday to my little girl :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Get pumped because the music mod is coming to a dev section near you. Aznrice2k4 is putting on the final touches. It will be here soon!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Skyrocket i727 running AOKP JB

For a one stop shop are Vincom's threads
    Everything Root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773659
    Returning to Stock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1652398
    im calling it quits for the weekend. ive been up til 4am working on recovery and cm10 stuff for the past week and my comments are starting to become sassy and rude. lol. i think its time to get some sleep and resume on monday. :)
    I'm disappointed in my generation. Its such a disgrace, I wish we could go back to the old em' days where children respected their parents and elders and had manners. Yeah I'm 18 and I do not know much (and am still learning about life) as people who have lived in those times and are older than me. I'm not handed anything and don't ask much, if my parents won the lotto I wouldn't expect a dime from them. People take for granted little things like a roof over their heads, food to eat, and expect things to be given to them without working for it. I would write more but I don't think you would want to read a essay on what the world is becoming.. :(